Houzz Logo Print
missy_knox

Kitchen Ideas anyone? Thanks much

Missy Knox
hace 11 años
I love warm colors- but I need advice on how to use them.. What are your thoughts? (any paint colors or brands would be helpful)

I was thinking: burnt/deep orange or rich brown for the walls- off white for cabinets- rich laminate wood flooring

I was also throwing the color yellow around for a while, but I'm still on the fence
(The appliances will be mostly stainless steel)

Any thoughts on paint, flooring, countertops or cabinets would be fantastic- Thanks

Comentarios (38)

• PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    hace 11 años
    You may want to consider a wood block cutting board for part of your counter tops. See: http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-block-countertops/
  • PRO
    Building Moxie
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I personally like the burnt orange you are showing... but I think if you use it too liberally on a large area of wall, you are going to have to have a super superb drywall job, otherwise it would show a good bit of imperfection. I like the idea of color in the kitchen and suspect you could strike these colors in countertops, light fixtures or small appliances. all that but the first thing that comes to mind, really -- why not go all in? full white with cabinets ... maybe make everything even a little more crisp. luck no matter what you choose and think Ben Moore has plenty of lively colors. ~jb
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks for the thoughts- I love the wood block idea- Where do you think the wood blocks would best fit (the two counters with the stove or the large counter with sink and dishwasher) ?

Do you think wood laminate flooring would work best in this kitchen, or should I attempt a laminate tile? I wasn't sure which flooring would be more inviting-

Building Moxie- How do you think I could make everything more crisp?
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    hace 11 años
    Hmm hard to say, it's definitely look good and be super useful by the stove. Either place you put it would definitely improve the overall look.
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Wow thank you so much for all your wonderful ideas. I would definitely love to try those colors that you have mentioned. I looked them up and they look beautiful. I love how warm the hallway looks. What do you think about the counter top color? Should I have some brown and tan tones? Or should I go darker or lighter. I plan on taking your tips on the cabinets (warm white maybe). Also, would you suggest wood laminate or tile?
    I appreciate you're advice and thank you for taking the time to help me.
  • nevadan
    hace 11 años
    Take a look at you neighborhood Starbucks for color ideas - they have a subtle warm palette that you will like.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Although I like the burnt deep orange color idea, I think it's almost too much for the entire backsplash area and walls. I would consider something like a lighter gray green for the wall color and the burnt orange for something like roman shades on the window. And for the countertop in either a quartz or a corian.
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    That's great that you mentioned Starbucks because I was planning on going there soon to take a look. Thank you
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I suppose I should clarify- I am getting rid of nearly everything except the cabinets so: new floors counter tops, backsplash, and paint. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for all your input everyone. I am always open for more ideas
  • User
    hace 11 años
    I typed in "warm white kitchen cabinets" in the HOUZZ search engine and a lot of pictures of kitchens came up with different countertops. I did that since you said you like the idea of the white cabinets. Basically though you need to be able to find the product locally. I have found that granite is so beautiful and every shop carries something different and the prices will vary. They frequently have samples of cabinets with some of the counters too so you can see how they will look.

I would visit more than one before choosing so you can find just the right countertop. Choose your countertop before paint and backsplash. Also, more than one person have complained that solid black fingerprints and are more difficult to keep looking nice than granite with movement.
  • David Shaw
    hace 11 años
    You should try SW Fireworks. Great shade.
  • 14thstreet
    hace 11 años
    what type of flooring will adjoin this room?
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    SW fireworks looks amazing!! I would eventually like to continue the flooring that I choose for the kitchen to flow into the dinning but right now it's a white carpet. I was thinking about wood laminate or tile laminate but wasn't sure which one would create a more inviting feeling and I wasn't sure about lighter colors or darker. Thanks for your input
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    SW fireworks looks amazing!! I would eventually like to continue the flooring that I choose for the kitchen to flow into the dinning but right now it's a white carpet. I was thinking about wood laminate or tile laminate but wasn't sure which one would create a more inviting feeling and I wasn't sure about lighter colors or darker. Thanks for your input
  • 14thstreet
    hace 11 años
    I agree with wood laminate if you will continue it into the dining room eventually. Otherwise I was going to suggest a cork floor for the kitchen. Something with a warm medium tone would be lovely with cream cabinets.
  • pollygoose
    hace 11 años
    Swisse Coffee for the cabinets. It is a nice warm white that blends with everything. Are you planning to go retro or modernize this room? If retro, I would replace the counter tops with tile. If modernizing, then I would choose a good composite or butcher block for the countertops. Butcher block can be used all around, if you keep it oiled and wipe it dry in the sink area.
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I would like to keep it modern and warm. I was thinking about the block style but was worried about the upkeep. I heard that laminate is wonderful and easy to maintain but I wasn't sure of the colors
  • PRO
    By Design EM
    hace 11 años
    If you like the warm color, especially the reds, I love red cabinets in the kitchen. Then your backdrop could be warm colors or neutrals! Look for some pics on this website!
  • jeniecegoellner
    hace 11 años
    Orange definatly works in a kitchen. That's what we did and made it so bright and cheery. Our floors are a toupe tile, so staying with wood cabinates didn't make it dark at all. But if you go for wood floors, a different color cabinate would be good so it doesn't get too dark.
  • slowdog58
    hace 11 años
    I suggest making that corner upper cabinet door a glass door, but I'm not sure how you'd do that. Perhaps go to your local glass place & they can help. We recently did our kitchen over & did just one cabinet with a glass door to break things up. We hadn't quite "moved back in" in the 1st picture.
  • nononanna
    hace 11 años
    Lose the green, mix the the orange ideas with copper and something grayish bluegreen. Colors in an oriental rug would be good
  • cosborn
    hace 11 años
    Check out Valspar's color "Cayenne." It is a really nice, warm, spicy, burnt orange that works well with whites, creams, greys and browns. I just used it in a small dining room and worked great, not too over powering for a small space. That being said I would go with light colors everywhere else, back-splash, cabinets, etc. and open things up as much as possible (definitely agree with above comment about glass cabinet doors or even open shelving.) It's hard to tell from the pic what kind of door you have but I would recommend going with a french door to let in as much sunlight as possible. The dinning room I painted is open to the kitchen and I painted the cabinets another Valspar color "Monument" it is a creamy, greyish, off-whitish color and the 2 worked great together.
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thank you for all your thoughts everyone- I LOVE the idea of creating a corner glass cabinet- I could even have it frosted so it has a warmer glow to it! FANTASTIC idea. I looked at the color "Cayenne" and was immediately drawn to a deeper tone called "Sienna". I also looked at Sherwin Williams 'Spicy Hue"- both colors are so rich and inviting. The ideas are finally coming together thanks to all of you!!! So here is the tentative plan:
    Wall color- SW spicy hue OR sw- Roycroft copper red OR Valspar- Sienna OR bm sienna clay
    Cabinets- SW vanillin OR bm-standish white OR bm scarecrow OR Valspar- monument
    Frosted glass cabinet in upper left corner
    Flooring- hickory maraba (home depot) OR a multi colored light wood (not chosen yet)
    Countertop- beige, tans, browns
    Backsplash- copper waves OR beige, brown, white tiles

I will keep you all posted :)
  • Jennifer Antoine
    hace 11 años
    I love the red and white
  • 159panhead
    hace 11 años
    I just did this my self, started all over! On a VERY tight budjet. Use your imagination go crazy, I'm quite sure that when you get an idea you can build around it. Some one gave me a bunch of different granite all different colors and I knew I wanted to use them.I found a good used tile saw at the flea market ,I had never done any tile work before this. I did the floor, counter tops and the back splash.I have less than 3K in my new kitchen, floor to ceiling I found a great deal on all new kitchen cabinets (solid oak ) at a material brokers . Then I checked out the miss tinted paint at Home Depot . I had no clue what it would look like, but I LOVE my new kitchen and wouldn't trade it for anything. It was all my imagination. I have not been able to move in yet, because I have a little more to do still on the rest of the house . But , we can do any thing we really want to ! Just pick 1 thing you love and work from there.
  • Geneviève
    hace 11 años
    From benjamin Moore
    Hugs & Kisses 097
    Clay 1034
    Marble white 942
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Panhead- wow you did a beautiful job on your floor. I love the design and your cabinets are a beautiful natural tone. What a great project!! Good work.
  • cdajane
    hace 11 años
    please do use lower cabinet Drawers! you will not be sorry.lll
  • 159panhead
    hace 11 años
    Thank you! As you can tell I am very proud.The design in the floor is 3' x 5', then a single band of uba tuba then absolute black granite all around. I cut each little piece on my $35.00 wet saw I got at the flea market. This is my first house, and I'm in my early 40's. This is my ebay ,craigslist , yard sale fleamarket house!
  • designgirl178
    hace 11 años
    I would seriously "rethink" your laminate floors in any area where water could seep onto it, eg. dishwasher, refrigerator etc. I know friends who did that and after only a few months had to re-do the floors after their refrigerator leaked, since the kitchen area was adjacent to the livingroom with carpet, they only had to replace the kitchen area flooring, could have been much more expensive. Laminate floors are not hardwood and will warp when small amounts of water pool on them. They have very beautiful vinyl floors that look like wood which is what I put in my basement eating area. I get a lot of compliments on it.
  • kroze
    hace 11 años
    Good luck Missy. I can tell you have good instinct and will do very well.
    Have a lot of fun in the process!!
  • msdivinedc
    hace 11 años
    Missy I'm In the process of designing my kitchen in my condo. I'm buying off white cabinets and looking at Cambria quartz countertops. I originally thought I would have granite but I like the usability of the quartz. I'm going to have a travertine backsplash.

My upgrades "luxury items" for me anyway, are 3 big drawers for utensils and storage, a lazy susan and a spice rack which will make life so much easier on me ( I'm petite and reaching for spices in a cabinet to the left of the stove was a pain. I am also getting under cabinet lighting.

I found a ton of design idea's on Houzz and on the forums which are very helpful. When it's done (at the end of April) I will post pix.

Good luck!
  • newkitchenpleeze
    hace 11 años
    I have similiar colors in my kitchen which I am trying to slowly get together. I have a nice celery green on the walls and I have orange accents like a tea pot, utencils and the untencil holder. Plus my curtains have orange and green in them. I just got some wall decor that has coffee motif (cups saucers) in a rust orange color. Goes great with the green. My cabinets are painted white. Still trying to decide on the flooring.
  • kroze
    hace 11 años
    Sounds interesting newkitchenpleeze. Why don't you post a photo.
  • Missy Knox
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thank you everyone for all of your great ideas and opinions. This will definitely help me thru this process. You all have been so helpful.

About the laminate- I brought this concern to home depot and to some friends who placed laminate in their kitchen- they said that as long as the type of floor I buy is 10mm thickness or higher, there should not be a problem. Also, I should always have a moisture mat to take shoes off when entering the home. Isn't there a moisture barrier or sealer that I could use on the floor?

If I go with vinyl, do you know if it is more expensive to install? ? I guess if I can find a similar 'look' I would do vinyl. But I have only seen laminate floors that I love.

• lace4
    hace 11 años
    I would consider a warm taupe gold ( drifted dune) by walmart paint . Then I would put cabinets in a off white with a stain wash over them with a granite counter tops in dark color .Then the floors in a warm wood tone.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.