Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Best Kitchen Countertops?

Emily H
hace 8 años

In your opinion, what makes the best kitchen countertop?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Bedford, NH Farmhouse Kitchen · Más información

Granite
Marble
Butcher Block
Soapstone
Quartz
Corian
Concrete
Other - Tell us below!

Comentarios (123)

• Elizabeth D'Orazio-Smith
    hace 8 años
    Left my last house with granite and have concrete now. Love it!!!
  • PRO
    Antony Architectural Stone
    hace 8 años

It depends from the project, style of the house and owners' lifestyle as well. We've used granite, marble and quartz in our projects. Granite and marble are organic and suit well people with health issues. Also, natural stone in general is much more stunning than other man made materials. Often issue with natural stone is maintenance but in reality it's like when you buy a silk dress, you just have to take care of it in a different way, the same with natural stone. Looking at old building and historic places natural stone does last forever. Quartz is too early to tell??

• Sonia Burrows
    hace 8 años

Antony, what do mean by health issues? What is wrong with quartz in that respect? My husband and I both have health issues and I was planning on quartz in our new home, but now you've made me wonder. Please elaborate on why I should reconsider granite instead. Thanks

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Quartz is made of 10-15% (depending on the manufacturer and the quality of the material ) of resins. Phenolic resins emit formaldehyde in the environment. Since it's difficult to know what kind of resins are used, to be safe we usually advice our customers with health problems to go for a natural product.

• Sonia Burrows
    hace 8 años

Thanks Antony. I wasn't aware of the formaldehyde emissions. Isn't granite an issue because of radon?

• PRO
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

That's a very good point Sonia! There has been so much research and extensive studies on granite radon content. We wrote about it on our blog http://www.antonyarchitecturalstone.com/blog/ since so many people were inquiring about it. If you are interested in reading the full studies, check the Marble Institute of America here http://www.marble-institute.com/default/assets/File/consumers/truthaboutgraniteradonradiation.pdf; and the Environmental Health and Engineering here http://www.eheinc.com/documents/EH&E.GraniteCountertops.UpdatedReport.pdf. Hope all these information can help you make the right choice for your home!

• Sonia Burrows
    hace 8 años

Hmm, this is what Cambria has on their website.
    Cambria is a durable, nonporous surface composed of 93% natural quartz.
    Cambria surfaces do not off-gas and contain zero formaldehyde or
    volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
    How is it that they can claim no formaldehyde or off-gas?

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Are they talking about the resins that they use? You should look for that ...

• kgoodson1
    hace 8 años
    Love love my cambria. Installers said they could bring it in in larger sections and not worry about it cracking. Less maintenance in terms of chipping and absorbing stains. Downside is it is less heat resistant than granite (since granite is made out of volcanic rock and Quartz has plastic polymer resins). Quartz is also 20-30% more expensive.
  • Alicia Jeffcoat
    hace 8 años
    Stainless steel
  • PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    hace 8 años
    Love Quartz
  • Dana
    hace 8 años

I voted "other" because Stonepeak was not one of the options. Mine looks like marble but you can't hurt it- even hot pots can go on it. (It comes in huge slabs they call planes.) I am tired of the natural stone options that look great... as long as you baby them.

• Sonia Burrows
    hace 8 años

dana2060, isn't Stonepeak a ceramic tile?

• Dana
    hace 8 años

Yes, Sonia, it is. But they make it look like real marble, or travertine, or lots of other stones. BUT, you can set hot pots on it. :-)

• Lynne-in-PA
    hace 8 años
    Dana, you have opened my eyes to something new! Thanks to you, I have learned that Stonepeak is available in my general area. It is now a (the?) top contender in next year's kitchen reno. It looks gorgeous online, and I can't wait to see it in person.
  • whocareswhoiam
    hace 8 años

Love the marble-ish look of quartzite but the contractor claims that it is hard for the fabricators to work with as it can "shatter" easily. Some homeowners on this site claim it stains too easy, others claim it is dull, chips easy, and many claim it needs excessive sealing vs granite yet others just love it and state no problems. I've seen homes that have beautiful Quartz countertops yet the manufacturer warranty does not cover buckling or cracking from heat...and in a kitchen it is always possible that a hot pot will touch the countertop if someone doesn't remember to put down "pads" first. Friends with granite claim that water must be cleaned up IMMEDIATELY but other than that they are happy with the granite. Laminate in our small condo was simple and easy to care for but when it was time to sell, the buyers wanted something more elegant. Bottom line, no right or wrong answer when selecting a kitchen countertop --- as they all have pros and cons.

• PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    hace 8 años

We're a little biased so we had to vote for Other (glass) :)

• Leigh Jeffrey
    hace 8 años
    Why not go commercial kitchen? Stainless steel- the most durable.
  • Suzann Lauer
    hace 8 años

Modest income, I am still loving my Formica for countertops and they have come a long way Baby! This was my decision on my kitchen renovation last year and this was taken with work in progress

• jh77
    hace 8 años

I can't believe you don't have formica/laminate countertops on your list. They are practical, fun and inexpensive and can mimic about any other look. If I went with anything else it would probably be Corian because I like the feel/texture or one of the durable composites. I've never understood the love of granite. It is impractical and I agree with the person who says its wasteful.

• Kay Dreher
    hace 8 años

We have countertops installed in the 1950s and still going strong. The aluminum-edged, red formica looks great! 60 years of faithful service: who can beat that?

• PRO
    Swain Customs
    hace 8 años
    Butcher block countertops are our favorite, but maybe we're biased! www.swaincustoms.com
  • Donna Hurst
    hace 8 años

Those are gorgeous, Swain. I looked at your Etsy store and when I'm in the market for a new cutting board, I'll remember that mixed hardwood one. Beautiful.

• PRO
    Swain Customs
    hace 8 años

Thanks lyricfox! Much appreciated :)

• Sylvia sylvester
    hace 8 años

Formica is the best, and one of these days it will come back. None of the problems of all the rock everyone is using today. Easy to clean, use, and inexpensive to have. . . doesn't break your dishes like rock will. I have three kitchens and I like my formica best,.

• RegularClouds
    hace 8 años

beejays not only those things, but what if you choose to remodel? Want a complete different color or look? How easy to change comparatively speaking, and you won't break the bank. I know $ is not a factor for everyone but for us, the main reason for going with Formica was that if you go with Formica (or WilsonArt, etc.) you won't have to spend your life remodeling your home around that expensive countertop.

• Sonia Burrows
    hace 8 años

Well Regularclouds and beejays, I guess that's why there's no such thing as "Best Kitchen Countertops". We are all different in our likes and dislikes. I had a beautiful cream coloured kitchen with granite 20 years ago and love, love, loved it. I'm planning my retirement home and am going to have my cream kitchen again. Yeah! I've lived with 3 different formica countertops these past 20 years and can't stand it. As the French say, "vive la différence"

• RegularClouds
    hace 8 años

Sonia Burrows Agreed! - And isn't it interesting to see the "whys" that someone likes (or does not like) their certain thing....whether like you or opposite! (and, by the way cream granite sounds absolutely lovely! I'm going for a cream countertop this go-round too, Wilson Art, however....and it's actually the first time I've had the say-so in it!) ((and speaking of tastes, I perused your idea books, I love your taste and style!))

• Sonia Burrows
    hace 8 años

Thanks RegularClouds. I had no idea that others could view my idea books. I looked at a couple of yours and like your style as well......but then again, we did save some of the same pictures :)

• RegularClouds
    hace 8 años

Sonia Burrows I had to copy a few of yours this morning, hah! (we're building - my first house, designed by me, and physically being built by me and my partner, too! It's small, but built to perfection and WHAT A SAVINGS on labor!) So houzz is now my best internet friend!

• Sonia Burrows
    hace 8 años

Well I admire your being able to build your own house. That's quite a feat. Best of luck with your project.

• kimvignola
    hace 7 años

Hi - would love to see the results of this poll!

• Judy Henry
    hace 7 años
    I have quartz countertop and a butcher block island. I love how they come together and I'm not changing it anytime soon.
  • PRO
    Hudson Home
    hace 7 años

"Best" really depends on the needs of the homeowner. Natural stone, quartzite materials, concrete, and others all have redeeming qualities for sure. My personal favorite is a classic honed carrara marble, which does stain...but I don't cook :)

• magada
    hace 7 años

kimvignola - you need to vote to be able to see the results :)

• Deb Byrne
    hace 7 años
    I have had quartz now for about a year and really like it. So easy to clean, seems indestructible. I want something I don't have to baby, and this seems to do the trick.
  • Ann Whitfield
    hace 7 años

I have recycled glass. We love it. Looks great and is better then granite because you don't have to seal it and it's nonporse and won't pick up stains. You can given cut on it or put hot pans on it. Cost was the same as granite,

• User
    hace 7 años
    Nothing synthetic or semi-synthetic matches the beauty of marble. Marble is a decision of the heart, not mind. Advances have helped. You can pretty much prevent staining using a good sealer and maintaining upkeep. If etching really bothers you, many companies will "refinish" your slab to make it new.

Quartz is dotted and looks man made. Marble look a likes are either dulled, beige, or I can't get past that they look like little worms to me. Not very appetizing.

Quartzite it is becoming so popular it's hard to find a white one that isn't super grey. Often they are over filled with resin and have a yellow-green hue.

For grey and white - marble is the most beautiful.
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Nothing synthetic or semi-synthetic matches the beauty of marble. Marble is a decision of the heart, not mind. Advances have helped. You can pretty much prevent staining using a good sealer and maintaining upkeep. If etching really bothers you, many companies will "refinish" your slab to make it new.

Quartz is dotted and looks man made. Marble look a likes are either dulled, beige, or I can't get past that they look like little worms to me. Not very appetizing.

Quartzite it is becoming so popular it's hard to find a white one that isn't super grey. Often they are over filled with resin and have a yellow-green hue.

• User
    hace 7 años
    Princess Leia
    6:54 AM

• Tammy
    hace 7 años

nnigrt, what is the brand and style name of your quartz countertop? I love it!

• PRO
    Havens | Luxury Metals
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Triple Bowl Stainless Custom Sink · Más información

"Best" countertop is a personal preference! Stone, quartz, and granite countertops each have different qualities in regards to cleaning and maintaining, but in regards to aesthetics our vote is for whichever material compliments your Havens sink!

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

sorry, i wish houzz would regularly post all of my activity instead of 'random'.

my countertops are LG rococo.

• PRO
    Kitchen Works-Leicht Los Angeles
    hace 7 años

Wood/Concrete Island · Más información

Vadara Quartz Surfaces is amazing. They have the most beautiful collection, all of our clients are ecstatic with the result! http://www.vadaraquartz.com

I attached a photo of our recent project in which we used vadara quartz!

• PRO
    Stacey DeWitt
    hace 7 años

Quartzite hands down. Beauty and durability of a natural stone. There is no comparison.

• RegularClouds
    hace 7 años

Michigan Coastal Interiors, Kitchen Works-Leicht Los Angeles and others: It is beautiful, but there's always this in the back of my mind (

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2676880/true-quartzite-stone-and-radon) and while it may be true the radon/cancer risk is extremely small, I also know a family who recently (2 years ago) put in quartzite in their home, quite a bit, and their radon levels increased significantly. Even the most minuscule risk of lung cancer is enough for me to go to another countertop. The possibilities are virtually endless, WHY ON EARTH go with one that may be risky, even if the odds are in your favor?

• PRO
    Stacey DeWitt
    hace 7 años

Natural stone is tested much more than many residential products especially the many synthetics that are used both construction, furniture and accessories.

Here is a great article in regards to the topic posted by Environmental Health and Engineering. http://www.marble-institute.com/default/assets/File/consumers/countertops_radon_wp.pdf

• RegularClouds
    hace 7 años

Michigan Coastal Interiors I would not dispute your pointing out that a piece of upholstered furniture has less testing than granite, however, with that said, you surely agree that we're assaulted with toxins from many different angles so why not reduce as much as possible? Opting to go granite free would be such an option! And, while your article is interesting, this article comes from the people who SELL AND PROMOTE and PROFIT from selling these products. Slanted? Quite possibly, I'd say very likely. (remember the tobacco industry fighting how cigarettes were not dangerous, even to doctors who would recommend Camels as safer, etc? Same scenario.) Additionally, radiation testing can be expensive. I doubt anything that is not required or mandatory will leave any manufacturers or dealers chomping at the bit to do much testing on their own, agreed? Now, I didn't say that granite was going to give you lung cancer and I didn't say it's highly likely, but there's NO QUESTION but what the risk IS THERE. It can give you cancer or other health problems. I say, again, why risk it when there are so many other options with lower risks? Because a sofa might be a worse gamble, or simply have less testing done than granite, that's not any reason to toss reason to the wind and say, "heck, there's worse" - I say the more there are potentially toxic materials in your home (as you pointed out there are!) the more you should remove or opt out when that option to go safer is an alternative. And, as I said above, my friend DEFINITELY got granite in her house that was high radon, no question. Bad break? Low odds? Who cares? It happened! That's scary! As for me, I went with a chemical free mattress and would definitely go for such if available in my living room furniture in something other than recycled plastic bottles presented itself to me, but simply because my options are limited with my sofa does NOT make me feel more secure purchasing potentially radioactive granite for my home. Again, WHY RISK it when there are so many other great alternatives? (* as an aside, a quote from cancer.org: ---> Cigarette smoking is by far the most common cause of lung cancer in the United States,
    but radon is the second leading cause. Scientists estimate that about
    20,000 lung cancer deaths per year are related to radon.)

• bouncy5
    hace 7 años
    I love my quartz, but I don't think there is one best. Another time and kitchen I might make another choice.
  • stingrae1625
    hace 7 años

I've had granite and laminates in the past and was never wild about any of it. I always loved the usability of my laminates but always had really ugly ones, and the granite I had stained and etched like mad, plus had spots in the polish where friction caused it to dull. We just redid our kitchen with honed Carrara marble. We have a marble topped dining room table and while the etching and scratched freaked us the hell out at first (6.5 years ago...), we had no idea that eventually it would all pretty much disappear into the table. We went ahead with the countertops knowing that we'd probably have that same "OH MY GODDDD NOOOO" break-in period and then they'd be "themselves". I've spilled a bunch of stuff on them already in just the week since the kitchen has been finished - chicken soup, oil splatters, pineapple juice, coffee - and so far, no stains or etches. The coffee splashes even sat overnight before I noticed them. The little scratches that we've noticed aren't bothering me like they might have, maybe because we're expecting them this time.

I just read in an above comment about how people with health issues should stick with natural stuff like marble. I'm one of those people. Highly allergic to formaldehyde and super bothered by VOCs. I had no idea that I was actually making the best choice health-wise! Bonus!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.