Houzz Logo Print
lariatlane

Kitchen update before moving in?

lariatlane
hace 8 años

If all goes well we should be moving in to our new house next month. Although the house is just a few years old, it is definitely not my style- too much brown. I love classic white kitchens but I don't know if it is worth taking money out of our furniture budget to redo it completely. Any suggestions?

Comentarios (16)

• lariatlane
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Another view...

• Lindsay K
    hace 8 años

It's a beautiful kitchen! How would you feel about moving in and seeing how you feel about it after living there for awhile? And then you could still get your furniture, and save for a kitchen re-model. Or maybe lighten things up with a different paint color on the walls?

• lariatlane
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Tken34! Do you think a light gray would work with those counters/backsplash? I'm also thinking if we replaced the backsplash it might be better with just that change.

• Lindsay K
    hace 8 años

I'm not totally in love with the backsplash. If you left it as it is though, I think a light grey would still look nice! These cabinets and tops are a little darker, but similar and similar backsplash, and I like this grey with it.

• User
    hace 8 años

We had the same problem, and lived with it for a year. We were able to see not just what looked bad, but what didn't function well for us. The kitchen looks functional, you should be able to use it, no problem. I'd even hold off on the paint, until you know how any natural light hits the room. If you rush to do this before you use the kitchen, you may find things you wished you'd changed, and be stuck.

• PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    hace 8 años
    My advice to you would be to get settled first. Painting the walls and the island wall a lighter color would help and is inexpensive. Let me know if you need help after you move in.
    Best,
    Kim
    Www.KimNielsenInteriors.com
  • kittnkaboodle
    hace 8 años
    Wow, that is the kitchen of my dreams.
  • Momof5x
    hace 8 años

I love the kitchen very much too, love the pic on the wall also. Nothing wrong with it, I love the brown cabinets, I have milky cream right now but prefer what you have.

• cabingirl13
    hace 8 años

Live with it for a while. Maybe change out the backsplash eventually with something lighter and less busy. If it really bothers you after living there for half a year then you can always paint the cabinets (gasp!).

• noelinaz
    hace 8 años

It is beautiful! I think it's always best to wait a bit before changing. The cabinets look elegant and expensive. I do think a white simple backsplash and white rug would be pretty.

• PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    hace 8 años

I agree that removing the backsplash would be a big difference. Enjoy your new home!

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

It's a beautiful kitchen and looks very functional, but I wouldn't be able to live with that backspash. So I'd probably smash it out on day 1 and just paint...

...and on day 2 I'd be looking for a nice neutral tile to complement the counters.

• lariatlane
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you all!! I think living with it for awhile would be a good idea. Groveraxle thank you for the pics!! I totally agree with you. I can't live with the backsplash but even just from your pictures it looks a lot better!!
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Babb
    hace 8 años

if you want to keep it the same but still "update the look" I would remove JUST the wood hood and replace it with the stainless steel free standing one suggested before. that alone will make a drastic difference!

lariatlane agradeció a Elizabeth Babb
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.