hzdeleted_5210617

Need help brightening+furnishing black kitchen

User
hace 5 años

Hi all:

Our kitchen is really dark. It was renovated right before we moved in. NOTE: The white stove is gone, we now have a stainless steel stove, and the table/chairs and picture are gone. These photos were taken BEFORE we moved in.

I like how chic the kitchen looks, but it's dark. I am not a huge fan of the wall color. My questions are:

1) change wall color? and if so, what other colors do you think would look nice?

2) what to put in the space beside the window?

3) should we put blinds or curtains on the window?

4) should we take the fan away?

Currently our dining table is on the other side of the kitchen, this space only fits a tall or small dining table. We don't have kids. We do have two bar stools up against the counter top.

We don't really have the funds right now to update the entire kitchen nor want to because it's already updated and very nice. I just want to brighten it up, currently the rest of the house is very neutral with a lot of light tones so this kitchen is really dark compared to the rest of the house.

Thank you in advance!

Comentarios (39)

• abramsonka
    hace 5 años
    It's a shame the previous owners went for such a dark look. On the positive side, you're right, it IS done very attractively , just a bit dark. Replacing the other black appliance to matching SS is a good idea if you can. Someday, when the budget allows, I would repaint the cabinets to an off white or cream. Your backsplash which is pretty can guide you in the cabinet paint color. In the meantime, paint the walls off the kitchen. If you like the green, maybe choose a lighter version of that tone. As for the window, do you need to cover it for privacy? If not, I'd leave it. It an important source of light for you.
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    hace 5 años
    Definitely paint the walls. Use backsplash, and find a light color that complements the tiles.

All of the lighting points downward. Change pendants and fan to fixtures that uplight so that light reflects off of the ceiling which looks dark right now. If the ceiling isn't white, paint it also.
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you for all of your ideas. We have central air, so no need for the fan at all. Do you think I should go for a cooler toned gray color?

Our window faces the street and even though we have a tree in our front yard, with the lights on at night, anyone walking or driving by could definitely see into our kitchen. I will take a look at those blinds you suggested!

• PRO
    Elizabeth Babb
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I would go with a warm/neutral grey. Ben Moore makes a really nice one called London Fog. It has some warm tones in it, but they are not overwhelming. You don't want to go too cool in color because then it will darken the overall look; plus adding some warmth will make it feel a little more homey and cozy.

I have attached a photo of it from our showroom :)

If you were to do some sort of window treatment I would do a shear curtain, this way you can still have the much needed natural light come through but I will also give you some privacy from the street below.

• PRO
    Design Connection, Inc.
    hace 5 años

The gray color would depend on your back splash color. If your tiles have warmer tone, go warm. If they have cooler tones, go cool. Otherwise it's going to look off.

• PRO
    Tile Plus, Inc.
    hace 5 años

Hey lauraannetter,

1. I suggest changing your wall color to white and painting your window frame yellow to match the room outside of your kitchen.

In the photo below, the black cabinets contrast beautifully with the walls and the yellow window frames are a wonderful accent.

2. Or you could paint the cabinets above your countertop a white. Contrasting cabinets do look very nice.

Avalon Residence · Más información

3. Though if you want a temporary, affordable solution—add some colorful kitchenware and even cookbooks to liven up your kitchen. They can be displayed in your glass cabinets at the top and along your countertop.

Traditional Kitchen · Más información

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi all, I will attach photos tonight of the backsplash up close, and the counter top. Tile Plus - The walls outside of the kitchen will eventually be painted a greige color, as I can't stand that buttery orange/yellow.

The cabinets are not real wood, they are those types of cabinets that are laminate or something, not sure how easily they could be painted. I could look into seeing how much it would cost to make some white. Another suggestion I had from a friend was to redo the backsplash a subway tile which I would love, but again, since it's nice as it is, I'd hate to do that right away.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Backsplash and counter
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    hace 5 años

I think you should look at colors along the lines of these:

Nothing too cool, and definitely something that reflects light. Even though these tones are all similar, it is possible that a darker one might have a higher light reflective value (LRV), meaning it could brighten the room better than a lighter color with a lower LRV. Bottom line is, you need to see them in your space and at different times of day/night.

• Miranda Rose
    hace 5 años
    I think everything looks perfect Don't paint or buy furniture and invest in a stainless stove. Because stainless reflects light. :)
  • Alexandra
    hace 5 años

Wow. Looks great! The only things I would do is get some fancy, shiny chandelier above the breakfast nook and get a light colored kitchen mat/rug. That will add more light. Beautiful kitchen.

• Tiffany Weeks
    hace 5 años
    I had a similar situation in the house I recently bought. The cabinets are dark, African mahogany that I would never paint, black appliances, and blue gray mosaic tile back splash. Fortunately my counter tops are a light gray.

To help brighten up my kitchen I painted the walls a light gray. I took everything off of the window to allow for the most light and brought in soft yellow accessories. These were inexpensive changes that made a big difference. I don't have enough wall space to bring in art work myself, but in your space I would look for a piece with a lot of white in it.

Good luck!
  • arsteranka
    hace 5 años

It's very dark. In a kitchen that lacks natural light that is a not what I would have done but so many folks fixate on an idea and execute it no matter what their current space actually is. So, painting upper cabinets could be an option. That might be even more trendy than it already is but .....Light gray an walls for sure. Do you like trendy or more classic?

• ninigret
    hace 5 años

central air does not mean you dont need a fan. right now we have the ceiling fans going in all of the second floor rooms. if we didnt have them and were depending on air coming in the window, we'd have the windows closed and be paying Eversource (electric) a hellish amount of money and its only may (in boston). you can certainly update the fan tho.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    We live in Canada and only have got summer months for three months. I've never had a problem with our gas bill. I've never put this fan on once. We also have two trees in our front yard so when it's windy out I open the window and lots of breeze comes in.
    I'm not to worried about missing the fan.

I like classic and agree that I need art work and I never did think of adding a light rug but that's a good idea! Eventually I'd like to swap the counter for a lighter colour and same with backup
    Splash but for now what we have is good.

I would definitely want to paint it wasn't sure what type of fray tones to look at! I also have no idea what to put in the tramcars nook!
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Whoops I meant breakfast nook. More pics attached. Thanks for your help!
  • sheilaskb
    hace 5 años

I agree with another poster that a light grey found in the back splash would make a good wall color and also would tie in with the stainless steel. In time, you may be able to replace the back splash with a solid, light grey tile.

• Alexandra
    hace 5 años

I'm all for a light grey, I just feel it's too trendy. Feels like you will have to repaint within a year to the next trendy color. What about painting the walls a crisp white or a very faint blue color. It will tone down all the warm brown/tan colors you now have.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    AZOTOVa I have thought of a white but wondered if it might be to much contrast. Eventually I would love to put a white subway tile as the backsplash, I have always loved subway tile even before it came trendy.
  • jvenverloh
    hace 5 años
    Paint some cabinets gray-blue or just light gray.
  • jvenverloh
    hace 5 años
    Light.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

Light.ing - inside the glass front cabinets and consider painting the interior of them to match the current wall color, or whatever color you choose. You might also think about using wallpaper inside them to pick up on the silver tone in your backsplash.

• leelee
    hace 5 años

I really don't think it's the wall color that's making the kitchen so dark. Cabinets and backsplash are the main reasons.

The first change to make would be the backsplash--if you're up for it.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I have no problem changing the backsplash but I just feel like If I'm going to redo a perfectly good backsplash I should just do the kitchen at once. I'm just really not a fan of the green unfortunately :( I've tried liking it but really don't!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

Can we have a close up of only the backsplash material please?

• jabbott2012
    hace 5 años

Beautiful kitchen. Getting rid of the green walls will help. I would just bite the bullet and redo the backslash.

• sandradclark
    hace 5 años

Get a folder of all shades of white to look at. Please do not use a grey or beige paint color. Buy sample cans of the shades of the whites that you like to paint on poster boards (2' X 2') to place around the room to observe at different times of the day. This is the only way to choose a color for your or anyone's room.

Also first buy Ikea net meshy curtains for $3.99 a pair. They are white cotton you will need two or three pairs. Install them close to the ceiling down to touch the floor. They do not need hemming & if you need to shorten them you just need to cut them carefully with scissors. This may sound weird, but I've seen it happen 1st hand. When these are up it will pull the light into them & into your room.

Also when painting the ceiling use just a bit of the wall color paint into the flat ceiling paint. If ceilings are done a flat white, they will appear to come down on your head!

One other important thing you can do w/o cost is to go to a good lighting store & tell them the type of lighting in both areas that you have & if they know what they are doing they should be able to tell you if the lighting can be changed to give you a brighter, lighter light in those rooms. Yes, remove the ceiling fan & install a lovely hanging light that if you had a table in there it could be hanging about 36" above the table top.

• sandradclark
    hace 5 años

I would take these steps in this order:

1. Buy & install the curtains 2. go to a lighting store 3. Pick the paint out & paint 4. remove the ceiling fan & install the hanging light

A couple of other suggestions for the tramcars nook: change the counter stools to backless ones, buy a comfortable bench to put in the space, go to Great Big Canvas & pick out a very bright, light & large peice of art to hang in the room. You can also order sizes & styles for wall peels as well for not much which when removed from the wall will not do damage.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    See photos of backsplash. It's mostly silver black with a charcoal colour. The counter top has some green in it which is why I think they chose the wall colour they did. I don't mind getting swatches of paint colours and agree it's best to do it that way. In my idea books I have photos of white and black kitchens that look bright and classy which is what I want. I do think this kitchen is pretty and chic but the rest of the house has a lot of white and is bright and so i would like the kitchen to have more white as well :) thanks for your help and suggestions I truly appreciate it
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Forgot to attach the darn pics
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Actually my brother has brand new bar stools that are backless so I will be putting those instead of the current ones in a few weeks!
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    hace 5 años
    You're kitchen is stunning! lots of dark cabinets. what sticks out most to me is the pantry. there's so much of it and so dark. I'd paint that entire pantry wall white or light gray, then paint your walls! but seriouslly stunning kitchen!
  • sandradclark
    hace 5 años

What did you think of the curtains, bench, wall peel & lighting advice?

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 5 años

I used the first photo you posted for this "read' from Sherwin Williams. I like the Perfect Greige myself. Most greige paints are nice neutrals, soothing and flexible enough to work with other colors. I included a link to learn more. Suggest you pick up sample pots of the ones you like and some large white poster board for each color sample. Paint a 12-18" square in the center of each board and move them around the space for a few days and nights to see how the colors work with different light, weather outside and artificial light as well. The white border will keep your current color from overly influencing the sample colors. IMO, the Cavern Clay is from your reflection so I would ignore it.

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/going-greige-tips-for-choosing-this-all-around-neutral-stsetivw-vs~577375[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/going-greige-tips-for-choosing-this-all-around-neutral-stsetivw-vs~577375)

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Sandraclark, yea I loves your advice. I always wanted curtains so if we're away for a period of time we can shut them for privacy so people can't look into the kitchen. I just wasn't sure what colour or look to go far. I will pick out some white and light griege tones and I'll do some boards as suggested. Next step will be to see how much it would be to change the backsplash to a lighter one which is what I always wanted. I will also decide on an accent colour and get a small rug. I will look for a light as well and then slowly it can come together. My priority is currently the living area and powder room but I will start preparing for kitchen as well. Thank you to ALL for your help! :)
  • gbrenna86
    hace 5 años

First of all...do not paint cabinets. I've think your kitchen is lovey. Lighten up the wall color and add some sparkle...also get new lights.

• Dorothy MH
    hace 5 años

I actually think the wall color is very nice and changing to grey or beige will make it lighter but more generic like every other kitchen thats been recently redone that I have seen Just my own taste and opinion but I think your kitchen is beautiful. For some inexpensive ideas to make it brighter. Very light or white curtains or shades. A light color fixture for lighting. Maybe its just the lighting in the photos but the floors have a reddish tone that for me is a little off. Maybe a lighter color stain for the floor. I do love the tile that looks like wood.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi Dorothy MH, the floors are darker than what they appear in the picture. The floors are a dark brown.

I plan on adding white sheer curtains as soon as I have a chance to pick some out. I don't really want to paint yet because I'd rather just finish the whole room at once...but since it's nice for now, there is no need to change a lot. I think I'll wait a year or so until after we're married, and then at that point I'll paint, redo the backplash, etc.

In the meantime I'll add a nice rug for some color, sheer curtains, and a new pendant for the eat in area. :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Saber más.