Houzz Logo Print
normanchan

Design of built in book shelves in library

normanchan
hace 8 años

how best to design a built in book shelves and also have some bottom cabinets to hold other stuff in a wall that is 18 feet long. I have a lot of books, hence I want to maximize the book shelf capacity. They will be in the centre with symmetrical side cabinets on the bottom. What is your experience?

Comentarios (3)

• Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Measure your books - ie how many yards wide of each height do you need to be able to shelve. This can assist with the planning as full sized folios take more height than a standard hardcover or a small paperback. Generally you want to place the taller and heavier books near the bottom and the smaller, lightweight ones higher on the shelves so you don't hurt yourself if you drop one on your head! Think about how you plan to organize them, are you someone who alphabetizes by title or author, or do you group them by subject matter? This can also help determine how many sections or columns you want in the shelves. If there are windows that allow direct sunlight to hit your books, think about the fact that this can cause the spines to fade and deteriorate, so you will place more valuable books in the areas that don't get direct sunlight and less valuable ones where the sun shines. These are just a few suggestions from someone who worked as a librarian to get through college.

I have an ideabook of bookshelves: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/34554406/thumbs/bookshelves

• PRO
    Bear Mountain Woodworking
    hace 8 años

It would be best to meet with a millworker and discuss your ideas. For instance, we meet with our clients and discuss their needs and from there create a digital rendering for the built in unit. This is really the best way to get exactly what you want and maximize your space.

• normanchan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I look at the blueprint and I have 15 feet length. It is in the centre of a condo so sunlight is not a problem. I like to shelf according to size and categories. Obviously heavy ones on bottom. I will consult with designer for my kitchen as they are also designing my library. This helps me so that I can ask intelligent questions when we meet. The lighting is pot ceiling, so it should be placed a few inches in front of book shelves? How many is best? Difficult for me as I have no design background. Thanks Jessica and Bear Mountain Woodworking for comments.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.