Houzz Logo Print
bordenj88

Home automation system?

bordenj88
hace 8 años
We've built a new house in an 'ultra-fi' neighborhood. The house is almost ready & it's got all the pre-wiring for full house automation. But the RFI guy came out yesterday & wants $17,000 to create a fully automated experience?!? Can that be right? We'll say no to a lot of it - no locks, lighting, pool control, etc. but it still winds up at $7K!

We want to put the audio/video stuff in a media closet & control it from a universal remote - via IR presumably. (TV, Direct TV, Apple TV, blue ray, etc) - 3 rooms w/surround sound + tv's. We also want to control the thermostat & access our security cameras.

Has anyone done this & with what products? I see Hive, Clare, Creston, RFI, Vera - but I see no pricing. Anyone used these? Are there others I should look at? Should we give up this idea??? (Maybe the tech isn't there yet?)

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Creative Systems - Collegeville, Pa
    hace 8 años
    That sounds like a good start. Good luck.
  • PRO
    AVision Technology LLC
    hace 8 años
    Hello,

I see that you were inquiring about price points for a home automation system. I notice that you would like to control 3 zones and each zone you would like to control
    - thermostat
    -audio
    -cable
    -Apple tv
    -security

With knowing that, I have to ask. Do you have speakers for each room? Do you want the tvs to run off of 3 cable boxes? Do you have cameras in place? Do you have a DVR with the capability to access your cameras remotely? Do you have receivers? Remotes?
    A power conditioner/surge? Also include the ends and all connections needed to connect to all the hardware. Then last but not least you have labor cost which can range from 75-150 per hr. After factoring all that in, I would say you're in the 14-17k range. My company personally deals with savants automation systems, their systems cover everything you are trying to do and more. If you would like more help contact me via email, jeremy@startedwithavision.com
  • Nicos Panteli
    hace 8 años

Hi,

Yes that sounds about right.

I've been in this industry for years, and it still is a luxury offering, it costs a lot.

You have two choices

1. Go for the systems that you really think are essential, and have provisions for everything else, to install in the future

2. Go for the DIY option which will be A LOT cheaper. And if you're not comfortable with DIY, you can find a technician to install them for you which wont cost much.

If you need help and guidance feel free to email me at nicos@qioto.com. Believe me, I know all pro-home automation companies, and also the budget DIY alternatives.

I'm actually doing this as a research for my startup. I'm helping people find the right smart home solutions for them, for free, as a learning process for my company.

I'd be very happy to help with my knowledge!

Good luck

• PRO
    TruMedia
    hace 8 años

Without knowing exactly what you have set up currently, I would recommend that you look at Universal Remote Controls' Total Control. It has a great price point and is a super option. If you have any questions, we'd love to help you out!

• PRO
    ZHiFi Automation
    hace 8 años

As others have said previously, it's hard to tell what you were quoted for. But $7,000 probably won't do a whole lot for an entire home automation system. Doesn't matter if it's Control4, Crestron, RTI, Savant, Total Home etc. 3 televisions can cost that much. That being said, to FULLY automate a new construction house in Southern California (and do it properly) "might" cost around 10% (minimum) of a construction budget. That's not to say you can't do AV, Lighting and HVAC for much cheaper, but that's a general rule of thumb we try to explain to clients. The last thing we want to do is set false expectations with our clients.
    zhifi.com

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.