Houzz Logo Print
mary_justin

Microwave drawer installed now can't open corner door. Oops!

Mary Grant Justin
hace 11 años
So we had our microwave drawer installed yesterday. When I tried to open the cabinet door (corner) it was to tight to open. I gave my contractor the microwave model before everything was built so not sure how this happened. But my question is. What should I expect from contractor. I know he has to fix this but I don't want it to compromise the way cabinet is built or looks.

Comentarios (34)

• Mary Grant Justin
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Also, I have opening from the left but even if it was reversed it would still be an issue. This corner cab has a lazy Susan in it so I need to open door all the way.
    hace 11 años
    Is there room to the left of the microwave? It looks like there might be enough for them to move it over enough to allow the corner door to open freely. I can't tell what type of cabinet it is from the photo.
  • PRO
    KBDesign
    hace 11 años
    Sorry to hear. Who ever did your kitchen design really screwed up! Someone did not check the cabinet and appliance specs. Appliances should never be placed adjacent to a diagonal corner. It looks like the cabinet to the left of the microwave is missing a side panel. The responsibility lies with the person who did the design. If that is the contractor then he is responsible.
    Perhaps there is another same size cabinet somewhere in the kitchen that you can swap this cabinet with. That will probably be the only option that doesn't require redoing the granite top.
  • Vicki Magee
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I had this same thing happen with my cabinet doors..... they couldn't open because of the stove top vent so the cabinet maker took the door off and re did it so it would be smaller.
    You might could have the door redone.
  • kitasei
    hace 11 años
    Remove the door from the corner cabinet and finish the frame and lazy susan to be deliberately open shelving? Of course that probably means storing attractive bowls or pots there, not your stash of junk food.
  • PRO
    TCAI, LLC.
    hace 11 años
    If it doesn't work, he should not have installed it !! Corners are always tricky!! I have seen this happen with ranges as well, when they have the knobs on the front, or you can't open the oven door because of the knobs on the adjacent cabinets. Cutting the door as Greg suggested is an innovative solution. Don't know if you need full access to the cabinet as the doors will now take up more space than the traditional fit. There is no question that the contractor is responsible for the fix.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    It is a design issue, but that doesn't help you fix it. These appear to be cabinets with a face frame, which is good. The first thing I would do is see how small the door would need to be in order to open and close properly and how much face frame would show. If that is acceptable to you, then I would have the door replaced to that size. If there are any other angled base corner cabinets in the room, then I would ask that they be done the same so it all blends.

You could try cutting the door as suggested above. I would test something first to see if you could live with it. Most contractors or cabinet companies have doors laying around that were replaced from jobs for various reasons and they should be willing to mock one up for you.

BTW, love your granite, backsplash and floor. If I could redo my kitchen, these would be my choices.

Good luck to you.
  • Jayme H.
    hace 11 años
    A good finishing carpenter should be able to fix this without wrecking it...Were these custom cabinets?. My lazy susan corner door is split down the center/so part of it sorta folds back when u open it....Get the contractor back over there and run down options! They can do all sorts of tricks. My hubby is a finishing carpenter and I have seen the magic they can do!! Best of luck.
  • sandkshouse
    hace 11 años
    Looks like it is going to be a great kitchen.

Please post a response and let us know how this played out.
  • PRO
    On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
    hace 11 años
    Many manufacturers offer a bi-fold door for corner cabinets. If it is hinged on the right, you should have complete access.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    hace 11 años
    If the split door doesn't work for you, the contractor could take the face frame off and replace it with one that has a wider left stile and a narrower door, just enough to get by the microwave. The door should be hinged on the right so it doesn't hit the microwave when opened. A local cabinet shop should be able to make a face frame if given the exact dimensions. The door is not a complicated one and a cabinet shop may be able to reproduce it to the correct size. The cabinet company will supply touch up paint for the new face frame and door.
  • Grace Reed
    hace 11 años
    Only you can decide what is an acceptable solution. I would expect that and nothing less. By all means, work with the contractor and everyone involved but don't compromise. This is a very basic design mistake. (And, probably a valuable learning experience for someone!) I would want to see that area designed as it should have been functionally and aesthetically. Then, I'd weight the options without sacrificing aesthetics for function. I sincerely hope everyone works with you.
  • Grace Reed
    hace 11 años
    I think you've gotten really good advice from everyone. What an amazing resource this is. I do question if a bi-fold door is an option on an angle with a full circle (vs. pie) shaped LS inside. And, I would still allow 3"+ between that and an appliance.
  • PRO
    JLADWL
    hace 11 años
    I would like also to add that in all fairness to designer/contractor/cabinet maker, the cabinets could have been built correctly and the microwave specs could have been wrong. We have had this happen on more than one occasion.

If that were the case it would be nice for appliance manufacturers to take some accountability for these type of site problems as many times the appliances Re installed/delivered after the cabinets go in.

From your photo it looks like there might be room for the microwave to go to the left, but I am not sure how much room you have to gain to allow for full opening to access your lazy Susan.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    hace 11 años
    Cabinet door widths normally vary in 3" increments except for custom doors. The builder will have to see how much the door overlays the frame to know if resizing the door will work.
  • PRO
    By Design EM
    hace 11 años
    Love the hinging the door solution, that is a great idea! As the countertops are already installed i think moving the microwave 3" to the left and installing a filler is the best solution, if whatever is to the left can be changed. It is too bad he went ahead and installed the countertops before fixing the problem first! If you can change the swing and shave down the door a bit you may have enough clearance also.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    To the left of the microwave is a pull out spice rack so no room there to move. I'm thinking as some of you have mentioned he will need to order a smaller door and hopefully there will be enough room in the frame to do this. He comes tomorrow to take a look. If there is one thing I have learned from all this is higher a designer to work with contractor even if contractor says they are designer. There are so many things that we missed or were done incorrectly. I'm so very grateful to all of you on houzz and you have helped me greatly. Thank You!!!! I will let you know what he says.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Or maybe the hinge idea which is a good one. We will see what he say before I offer up what you all have said.....
  • PRO
    By Design EM
    hace 11 años
    I am sorry for your difficulty but I very much appreciate your validation of an Interior Designers value. As a designer that is music to my ears! I sincerely hope everthing works out to your satisfaction.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    North Bay, I had no idea before this that I should have hired a Interior Designer. I thought that the company I hired did that as well. I was sorely mistaken. If anyone asks me about upgrading kitchen or anything else. The very FIRST thing I will tell them is hire a Interior Designer.
  • Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
    hace 11 años
    Mary, don't fret over one small issue. Learn from it and move positively forward. There are solutions for anything and hindsihgt is always 20/20. This is merely a glitch and it can be handled easily enough. Next time you'll know and when you share your story with friends and family, you'll be passing along first hand knowledge. That's always a good thing. You're almost finished with your new kitchen. Don't let one glitch spoil all your hard work and good intention!
  • PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    hace 11 años
    I hope you get this problem resolved. As you pointed out before, never leave a contractor to do a designers job. If your contractor cannot fix it, do your due diligence and find the best custom wood worker around to find a solution. A master carpenter should be able to come up with some way to solve the issue.
  • Grace Reed
    hace 11 años
    Mary, you may want to recommend that people work specifically with a kitchen designer. That said, there are interior designers and builders who understand kitchen design and design beautiful, functional kitchens. Good luck and keep us posted. Grace
  • Grace Reed
    hace 11 años
    And, the pullout and the microwave cabinet should be able to be swapped.
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    hace 11 años
    Grace, that is the best idea! With minimal moving of the micro electric that is a great solution. I was thinking that as I was reading down. A lot nicer to use it away from the corner too. Good luck Mary!
  • Susan Flowers
    hace 11 años
    Maybe it's just the pictures, but the micro seems so prominent with such a large handle..is there a special reason for that model
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Greg, thank you for the words of encouragement. Yes you're correct as I'm loving my new kitchen! But we have had a few glitches. But again a learning experience. And I'm positive with all of your advice and working with the contractor we will get this taken care of.

Susan, I wanted a drawer microwave and Sharp makes this one. They also make the same thing without the handle for Dacor, Wolf, Viking but you pay twice as much for the name. Also, the sharp's panel is slightly tilted up for easy viewing from a standing position. Though I'm short so would have no problem either way, my husband is tall and he didn't want to bend down to look at the display. I wish we could have got the sharp without the handle and I asked the sales person if we could but because of the contract they have with the higher end manufacturers they needed to keep their's looking different by including the handle.

Thank you all again. We will see what tomorrow shall bring. Praying for all to work out.
  • PRO
    Cascade Cabinetry LLC
    hace 11 años
    From the pictures your cabinets look to be what is commonly referred to as an 1-1/4" overlay door on an 1-1/2" face frame. If this is in fact the case you may be able to solve your problem by having the diagonal door made as a 1/2" overlay door. If you were to do this you would need to replace your hinges to work with the 1/2" overlay. We frequently do this to eliminate any issues on clearance. This is a design error, but as suggested by others it can be rectified.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi Everyone! Met with the contractors carpenter. What we are going to do is move the microwave slightly to the left. He is going to redo the drawer underneath to line up with the micro drawer. He is then going to create a thin panel with same molding design and run to the right of the micro and drawer from top to bottom to create kind of a side panel. Very small but it should look good. There should be no issues opening up that corner cabinet door. Soooo, I think we are back on track. This seemed like the least evasive way to do this. He also mentioned in the specs he had on the microwave they don't show that the handle goes all the way from one side to another which is where the problem is. I will send you all pictures after this is completed.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I know you feel much better now that it is resolved and things will be moving. Great resolution to an issue. It's looking great. Love your choices.
  • Grace Reed
    hace 11 años
    That's great, Mary!
  • sandkshouse
    hace 11 años
    Good news. I'd love to see pics of the whole kitchen when it's finished.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Yes, feeling much better. It should be complete with the new drawer hopefully within 2 weeks. I will post pictures of the completed kitchen then. Thanks again everyone!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.