Houzz Logo Print
lani_wittmann

Face Lift for a 103 year old lady?

Lani Wittmann
hace 9 años
We just bought this 103 yr old East Vancouver home. What face lift could we do that updates it, but also honours its historical roots? (Ps - We don't have a lot of money to spend on the outside as we need to spend it on a laneway house and more high priority renos on the inside.)

Comentarios (4)

• brickln
    hace 9 años

Paint- get rid if the white trim if possible, Craftsman door and railings, remove the front plantings and place a small patio there.

• PRO
    Kent Halex Architecture
    hace 9 años

What a great house. Nicely proportioned and you could do a lot with this front yard over time. My advice would be to start with changing the colour competely. This would go a long way towards giving the house a fresher appearance. Next I'd look to get rid of all that iron railing and column work and replace it with something less filligreed. That porch roof is substantial and it wants something beefier supporting it. With the main stair off to the side as it is presently it's hard to tell where the front path and approach to the house is. It sure would be nice if the stair came down to a landing that allowed the balance of the stair to be turned 90 degrees so it could arrive more centrally, particularly if it connected to a nicely done front path leading up to it. I think you could make this work to respect your front yard required setback. Window replacement would make a huge difference as well, and if you could make that window under the front porch bigger that whole projecting portion on the front of the house could have so much character, particularly if you made more of that landscaping in front of it -think landscape lighting, nice central path and plantings that reinforce the concept. and lastly, since the main floor is a whole storey out of the ground if the lower storey were clad in a way that did this some justice and differentiated the layers better the house might not feel so tall and unfinished. It's hard to tell from the photo what the cladding on that lower storey is right now, my guess is it's acrylic stucco. I'm thinking replace with a stone veneer rain screen but it could be also be a horizontal stained wood. Keep in mind that if you are going to build the laneway house it would be nice to tie the materials and colour schemes in with the main house so the whole thing looks like one contiguous gesture.

• apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años

New paint can do a lot. Look around the neighborhood to see what appeals; use google for armchair driving or take a walk. In the long run, you might want to replace windows with something in tune with it historically. The front door oval seems 1980's but has been popular intermittently for decades before and after. It could be coordinated with more gingerbread if you decide to add frills.

• PRO
    American Porch, LLC
    hace 9 años

I agree with Halex Architecture that this porch is begging for something a little more robust!

New Porch Railing in Franklin, TN · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.