Houzz Logo Print
mamadubbs

Where to end backsplash?

mamadubbs
hace 9 años
I can't decide where the backsplash should end in my kitchen. We will be using 4X4 tumbled travertine in a diamond pattern similar to second photo. Please vote and comment with your reasoning. Thanks in advance!
End at upper cabinet
End at edge of countertop

Comentarios (38)

• L J
    hace 9 años
    Have you thought of extending the cabinets to the counter
    mamadubbs agradeció a L J
  • mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for your comments. We did consider an open shelf or some sort of long rectangular art/sign or other decorative piece. We won't be putting in another cabinet though. Our biggest concern with extending to the edge of the counter is that the counter is bowed and from certain angles the backsplash won't appear to go to the edge anyway. But we are also worried it will look unfinished if we stop at the cabinet.
  • L J
    hace 9 años
    One way to help you visualize you could tape some wrapping paper up as a backsplash. Then live with it s couple days ending at each point.
    mamadubbs agradeció a L J
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

if you are doing the diagonal pattern with straight frame as your tile photo shows, having it extend to the end of the counter would look fine. it will certainly protect the wall there from various bumps which is also reason enough.

mamadubbs agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • amcalear
    hace 9 años

I think it will look weird if you bring it all the way out to the edge of the counter without having any cabinet above it to anchor it. I suggest stopping under the cabinet. I like ljksen's idea of using wrapping paper to visualize it.

mamadubbs agradeció a amcalear
  • wooflikeabear
    hace 9 años

Bring it all the way to the end of the countertop. Then add a right triangle of tile/backsplash to the top of it to blend it with the cabinet. That will avoid the look of it being unfinished next to the cabinet while still giving the countertop a finished look.

mamadubbs agradeció a wooflikeabear
  • PRO
    Steveworks LLC
    hace 9 años

I agree with Ellen. end the tile at the counter. do a nice edge treatment bring it up the side and back over to the cab. An open rounded corner shelf would be nice too.

mamadubbs agradeció a Steveworks LLC
  • PRO
    Steveworks LLC
    hace 9 años

By the way, put some base trim with a nice cap around the peninsula, maybe match the kick space wood.

• mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Decisions, decisions!! Will definitely try to tape up some wrapping paper - great idea! They will also be trimming out the bottom of the peninsula, adding corbels, and painting to finish the back side of the cabinets. Thanks so much!!

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

basically, i think either way will look annoying to you at the beginning to some extent, but its the sort of thing you get used to fast. extend it if you want wall protection, its *purpose* doesnt end with the cabinet above. cut it at the cabinet if you want to save a square foot or so of tile. when cabinets go to the ceiling, taking it all the way up is another choice end choice.

i actually arranged my kitchen so that i didnt have to think about it, by having the fridge on one end and the wall oven stack on the other, so the backsplash was enclosed.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

now i'm looking at all of those outlets.... you'll need to come out beyond the cabinet in any case so you have a whole tile beyond the outlet.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

ok! my final choice is come out as far as needed to have an entire tile beyond the upper cabinet, end it there.

• PRO
    Kingston Flooring LLC
    hace 9 años

I personally like it better when it ends with the cabinets. It always strikes me as a cabinet is missing when the backsplash extends past the cabinets. I guess I have backsplash OCD.

mamadubbs agradeció a Kingston Flooring LLC
  • Shart
    hace 9 años

We have this issue too so I'm so glad you posted this for advice. Our issue, however, is that it's just an inch or two. Some good feedback that you got. I don't know that it makes your decision any easier.

mamadubbs agradeció a Shart
  • whirlwyn
    hace 9 años
    The label backsplash says it all.....backsplash continues to guard against splashes from the counter all the way to the end of the counter. Not in favor of angling up the wall to meet the cabinets. Not sure what you meant by the curve at the end of the counter. Art work or small shelves could distract the eye from the space.
    mamadubbs agradeció a whirlwyn
  • wedding831
    hace 9 años
    Could you do a line from end of cabinet ti end of counter and tile to a slant?
    mamadubbs agradeció a wedding831
  • PRO
    Robert Sidenberg Inc.
    hace 9 años

I would agree with Kingston Flooring LLC, to end the backsplash with the cabinet. If you extend the backsplash to match up with the countertop it could look like a cabinet is missing.

mamadubbs agradeció a Robert Sidenberg Inc.
  • mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Looks like our granite guys made the decision for us. As I mentioned before, the counter is curved. When they put the bull nose finish on the granite, they left a small straight piece by the wall so that when the tile is installed it will line up perfectly with the counter. Not sure you can see it in the photo. So now we don't know whether to go straight out from the cabinet or drop down at the cabinet and do a smaller run to the end of the counter. Either way, we will definitely put something on the wall above the tile to balance it out. Thanks for all the input - much appreciated!!
  • mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Came home to find the tile design laid out on my counter. Guess we should have specified we wanted it on the wall, LOL! I'm excited at how it's coming out!! Hubby also picked up the stools and we put one together last night. I'm really getting anxious for completion :)

• PRO
    Slick Designs
    hace 9 años

I think a floating shelf or two over the space after the cabinets would really ground bringing the tile all the way to the counter. It looks like you are making some great progress!!

mamadubbs agradeció a Slick Designs
  • PRO
    Steveworks LLC
    hace 9 años

Before you put up that tile, take a look at where the wall switch is going to be. Better to spend a bit more to move it now than have it sit in an unfortunate place for a lot longer.

• mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Good point on the wall switch Steveworks LLC. The double switch I think you're referring to at the end of the counter is a secondary switch for both our kitchen and dining canned lights which are not used often. The main switch for the kitchen is on the outside wall to the left of the fridge (not shown in the photo), and the main dining switch is on another wall by our sliding glass doors in the living room (adjacent to this space). We had considered making that switch just a secondary for the dining room, but decided to leave it since it doesn't hurt to have the second switch option for the kitchen, although it's location is not really convenient. We are having one of the single switch plates you see directly under the last cabinet on the right removed. It is a landline phone jack that we don't use. The other is an outlet. The thing that did just occur to me recently though is that all of the outlets and switches that will be in the backsplash will look better if swapped out for almond or ivory colors.

• PRO
    Steveworks LLC
    hace 9 años

Hi

My point is more to trying to get the switch to work with the tile pattern. Put it in some place where it will work out centered on a tile or the spaces between so you don't get an awkward cut shape.

• mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for all the help in making this decision. This is what we ended up doing. I'll post a final picture when it's all done, but you can see what direction we went. Thanks again for all the in put!
  • PRO
    Steveworks LLC
    hace 9 años

nicely done!

• renovatingthisplace
    hace 9 años

Looks very nice!

mamadubbs agradeció a renovatingthisplace
  • PRO
    Slick Designs
    hace 9 años

That looks like a great resolution! Well done!

mamadubbs agradeció a Slick Designs
  • PRO
    Rediscover Your Home
    hace 9 años

Great job! Well placed accessories can solve most transition dilemmas of this nature.

mamadubbs agradeció a Rediscover Your Home
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

that makes perfect sense to me. i hate wet sponges against paint when cleaning a countertop.

• bugsysmom717
    hace 9 años
    I just did mine with a higher bar counter at the corner where it turns towards the sink - and had to decide - I went with at the end of the cabinet there and am very happy.
  • bugsysmom717
    hace 9 años
    Make an end under the edge of the last counter turned straight up and down - like around stove/cooktop.
  • mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    We are quite happy with the way it turned out :)
  • PRO
    Steveworks LLC
    hace 9 años

very nicely done!

• mamadubbs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @ Steveworks - we finished trimming out and painting the peninsula.......
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 9 años

Love the way that this turned out! I was going to suggest doing exactly what you did. Totally transformed your entire space!

mamadubbs agradeció a Studio M Interior Design
  • Kat Cheng
    hace 9 años
    I would end it at the cabinet and place a large, beautiful pottery vase planted with orchids at the empty corner of the counter. It would look very pretty, and keep the eye from being distracted by where the backsplash ends.
  • kimkimaz
    hace 8 años

end at upper cabinet would look fine since counter has an overhang. Consider plug molds for all those outlets. They tuck up under the cabinets or up against them and can have UB outlets too. Plug molds keep your backsplash from being chopped up

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.