Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Do you have a gardener?

Tom Flanagan
hace 9 años
When I was younger, I can still remember the dreaded call from my dad to come and help him weed the garden, and whilst having a garden is a lovely feature, taking care of it can be hard work! That said, many of us love the time spent outdoors and seeing the end product of our toils.

So, do you have a gardener to help do the work, or are you a do-it-yourself kind of person? Vote and let us know!
Haslemere Garden · Más información
Yes - having a gardener really helps
No - I like gardening myself
I let my kids' do it
Other

Comentarios (27)

• Average Jo
    hace 9 años
    I have the tiniest patch of garden which any self-respecting gardener would turn his nose up at. But I myself am very much a fair weather hobby gardener so it gets a bit lacklustre in the winter months. I really need an obliging odd-job man (or woman) to do the boring bits so that I can then swan about with planting designs and claim all the credit!
  • Tom Flanagan
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Sounds like me - I just can't bring myself to weed haha...
  • credz4
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I have a large garden, its bigger than the house and on an old council estate from the 50s. I do most of it myself and love the fact that if you make a mistake you can just dig it up and plant it elsewhere, unlike decorating a house. I get a gardener in to do the big stuff like pruning or chopping trees and keeping the conifer hedging in trim. The smaller weeding, digging, growing and mowing is all mine as are the ideas which are quite unusual and the traditional gardener does not do. So the logs from the chopped trees are used as boundaries, there is a gapped entrance to the underneath of the garden shed where the hedgehogs live and the minor bees nest in my compost bin just across from the insect hotel. I refuse to take out the old concrete washing line post much to the horror of the gardener, I grow plants up it and hang baskets from it. As for my garden seats....well.....
  • GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    hace 9 años
    I have a gardener to cut the grass, weed the drive and trim the hedges, the boring labour intensive bits. But the kids and I like to do our own planting and sowing, the fun bits. And no we are not posh,we live in a semi.
  • soozmacrae
    hace 9 años
    I love to do the garden. Its very therapeutic. My mother also did all her own gardening but as she got older, she had someone to cut the grass.
  • Pat Auld
    hace 8 años
    An old posting I know but just came across it and surprised there weren't more comments.
    I am passionate about my garden and spend as much time out there as I can, although not keen in the winter!
    My son comes and does any hard landscaping and tree/shrub pruning, my husband cuts the grass and I do the weeding/planting/dreaming. I can't stop buying plants and then spend ages deciding where I can fit them in. Total relaxation, peace and joy
  • PRO
    APB Treecare
    hace 7 años

I voted no, find doing it yourself is very rewarding

• Katie Webb
    hace 7 años

A gardener has really helped me focus on the garden and helped take the stress out of doing the everyday weeding and do some of the fun stuff!

• PRO
    KIND Interiors & Exteriors
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

It is really handy that someone comes round to cut our grass because it grows so quickly.

• PRO
    Paul Dix Gardens
    hace 7 años

As a professional I do believe that we do offer a huge help to our clients but in reality, I do like to do the gardening myself...

• PRO
    Home Decor Quality Decorating
    hace 7 años

I enjoy gardening myself.

• PRO
    C&G Building Contractors (UK) Ltd
    hace 7 años

I enjoy paying a gardner. I'm not much good in the garden!

• Mary Mary
    hace 7 años
    My husband is a gardener and works his magic in our garden
  • PRO
    Austin John Ltd
    hace 7 años

Personally, we have a very large garden and do a lot of the gardening ourselves, the only time we have to get gardeners in is to trim the very tall connifer hedges we have surrounding our garden. This is simply easier than forking out for specialty equipment that we would only use once or twice a year.

• Ebrahim Mukhtar
    hace 7 años
    I do take care of my garden, personally.
  • Sonia
    hace 7 años

We do our own garden. It's not mega tidy, but quite pretty and cottagy. I do the weeding (my husband does not know what's a weed and what isn't!) as well as all the planting and tidying up. My husband does the heavy shrub pruning - shameful to say but he uses an electric hedge trimmer on the shrubs and they do come up really good, but I tell him what needs pruning and when. I remember the late great Geoff Hamilton doing an experiment with pruning roses. One lot pruned the traditional way with sacateurs and the other lot with a hedge trimmer. They both flowered beautifully. I love pottering in the garden.

• Tara Dempsey
    hace 7 años
    We have just employed a gardener to mow the lawns and cut the laurel hedges, after my partner broke his leg and then our lawnmower broke. We wish we had done it years ago! Much cheaper than we thought. The fun parts of gardening are the design and planting which I will always want to do myself. If you have a lot of lawn I highly recommend having someone in to mow it, with the added bonus that you have more room in your shed without having to keep a lawnmower!
  • Jane Bateman
    hace 7 años

We try to garden ourselves. The reality is we live in a wilderness with one or two areas of controlled Oases. I'd love a gardener but it's never going to happen!

• suesigngirl
    hace 7 años

I don't have my own garden so I do my son and daughter in law's for them - it would be untidy if I didn't as they have a 6 month old baby girl and both hate gardening! I'm hoping my little granddaughter might join in when she's a bit bigger!

• PRO
    Papillon Interiors
    hace 7 años

Sadly, I have a gardener as my time is limited. He comes and tidies it up so it always looks neat and presentable. It's a bit like cooking though, I'd do it properly if I had more time.

• PRO
    Geum Garden Design
    hace 7 años

Of course I do my own gardening! Having said that, there are never enough hours in the day. I always try to impress on clients how time-consuming garden maintenance is. It's pointless paying for a beautiful garden design and build, then just leaving it to be reclaimed by nature. Or asking for a cottage garden (high maintenance), then sitting back. So important that the design fits the client's lifestyle

• Jan Johnson
    hace 7 años

I love gardening, I have a helper to mow lawns, cut the Ivy hedge and do the cutting back and pruning. other than that i plant light weed and keep tidy.

• PRO
    Fiona Merckx Tuin Design
    hace 7 años

I really enjoy working in the garden myself as it gives me a chance to really connect with the plants and see what is and isn't working. I do, however, use the skills of a gardener foe some of the heavier work. Saves my back muscles!!

• User
    hace 7 años

A split vote for me! Its a "2) No" as I *love* gardening, and was a garden designer in the Leeds and York areas for many years. And its a "1) Yes" as I recognise that I need help for the big jobs and husband or gardener has always mowed. We have moved from 2 acres where 25 years of gardening had taken their toll; and aching joints declared that we needed to have a much smaller garden. That was 11 years ago, and *now* i am having to re-design this 1/15th acre front garden by reducing the size of the beds. Its killing me!! very sad to have to remove plants; and yes, we've had to get a gardener in to help. He will probably be the guy who has to do the weeding eventually. :((

• PRO
    Love Shutters UK
    hace 7 años

I'm not a particular fan of gardening but great to relax after a days gardening and see the results.

• PRO
    Full Circle Garden Design & Construction
    hace 7 años

I think being a garden design professional a gardener is recommended to maintain and keep up to the level the garden was intended.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.