Houzz Logo Print
dandeev

Need Help with Living Room

d vandee
hace 9 años

Any advice to improve this room. Paint color, etc...

Entry

Comentarios (69)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Just saw where this room is a work in progress. You said sectional going. That's good. go a sofa with 2 chairs. That will change room. Adding more wood will warm it up.
    d vandee agradeció a Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    Designline
    hace 9 años

I recommend that you start by removing the drapery - tie backs don't work well on a wide window and the drapery looks limp and skimpy. Secondly, remove the light from the fan if possible or don't turn the light on if it must stay. Lamps or sconces with shades will make the space much more inviting than a harsh, unflattering overhead light from a ceiling fixture.

d vandee agradeció a Designline
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

Need help on new coverings for chairs and banquet seating .

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hello Janice. I understand you already own the furniture and you wish to reupholster them or dress them, is it correct? Could you send us a picture of your space, so we can give more accurate ideas? Thanks :)
    ...Ver más

Help with wall art!

Q

(12) comentarios
    Hola MONICA: Gracias por explicarte. Si no te obstinas por poner fotos tuyas variadas y pequeñás, puedes encargar un vinilo autadhesivo, con una imagen de la más alta definición, que haga tu instrumento, o comprar alguna en un banco de imágenes. Procuras que la parte alta izquierda sea lo más neutra posible y pegas la imagen sobre el paramento completo, incluso sobre el frente del split. El resto, puedes hasta pintarlo a spray del color que requiera, para camuflarse mejor.
    ...Ver más

Windows Treatment

Q

(0) comentarios
    The type of window, as well as the orientation of the room, are determining factors when choosing curtains. It is also important to consider the light we need in this space as well as the degree of privacy we want. The curtains help to dress anywhere so it is so important that you dedicate time to your choice and we help you in that. ☎️305-699-5589 Free Consultation www.artecblinds.com @artecblinds #blinds #windowtreatments #blackoutcurtains #curtains #interiordesign #interior_and_living #interiordesigner #decor #design #housedesign #homestyle #house #housedecor #homedecor #luxurylifestyle #luxuryhomes #styleathome #apartmentdecor #innovation #remodeling #renovation #roominspiration #roomdecor #love #beautiful #instagood #brickell #miami #realestate #generalcontractors
    ...Ver más

complimentary colors

Q

(0) comentarios
    Due to a leak I need to repaint my kitchen, and surrounding walls which leads eventually to my living room . I need HELP to find a color that compliments my CREAM Kitchen cabinets and the living room color which is BERKSHIRE BEIGE. I think I want shade of white to brighten up my kitchen and family room and hopefully compliment the Berkshire Beige (BM paint color).
    ...Ver más
  • ingridmatt
    hace 9 años

I think a nice grey paint with blue undertones would be great for the room and make all the other neutrals pop more as well as bring out the blue in the rugs.

d vandee agradeció a ingridmatt
  • Mrs Gee
    hace 9 años

I agree with the comments to lose the drapery and the black furniture. I could see some weathered, reclaimed wood pieces pairing well with the color pallet. Also, have you thought about a clay brown for paint? It will give it a rich, warm feel and complement the blues--not to mention it will make the white trim pop. I also think you could find a great lighting fixture instead of the fan. Something light and whimsical-even beachy.

d vandee agradeció a Mrs Gee
  • mosaicrevival
    hace 9 años

Palmetto Bluff: Pellegrini · Más información

• Kathy Devens
    hace 9 años

IMO, coral is overdone and predictable with the colors you have. Maybe try yellow, and or navy mixed in with the aqua color.

d vandee agradeció a Kathy Devens
  • mosaicrevival
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Brookside: Eagles Nest · Más información

Why I choose this for you is the calming color palette. No pops of colour. Drapes especially, art work is the colour. Size of carpet is essential. I would repostion your sectional away from blocking the window and everything behind the sectional removed or repostioned. Larger art work on the sectional wall. Love the art piece just change out the framing and two. Add colour where the signs are they are lost on the wall and too light for the dark piece of furniture. I hope this helps as it really is a beautiful room. Not found of the shelf as it is the wrong scale.

d vandee agradeció a mosaicrevival
  • Lana Hoffman
    hace 9 años

drapes down remove all throw pilows and add more modern ones in pops of color remove runner on dresser vase of flowers on coffee table of coordinating color

d vandee agradeció a Lana Hoffman
  • d vandee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

@mosaicrevival Thank you for you comments and suggestions. What paint color would you recommend? Do you think Sherwin Williams Ethereal Mood will work?

• Maggie Andersen
    hace 9 años
    I would lose the drapes and get a larger rug. I think the Aqua is bland in this space. I would use coral, expresso, stark white and a pretty light to medium blue to liven up the beiges. Find a piece of art that is exciting and let it be your inspiration. Put the old art away for awhile. It will hold you back and make you cling to the old look.
    d vandee agradeció a Maggie Andersen
  • Lol Lol
    hace 9 años
    Dido but do a round rug
    d vandee agradeció a Lol Lol
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años

Thought I posted this earlier - SW Sea Salt

Sherwin-Williams gray paint color – Sea Salt (SW 6204) · Más información

d vandee agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • patriciamarch
    hace 9 años

Take down the valance and drapes, They give your room a dated look. Think about cell shades. Top down, bottome up. With the top open and the bottom half way up they give the room a special interest and cool ambiance. Try one of the great shades of toast- deeper shades of beige, Check out the textured cell shades too, Tremendous choices, Cell shades are a clean look, they keep the room uncluttered and open, Go brave, the color choices are limitless and will marry up nicely to your pale wall color. Or............... use some lovely sheers with a texture, in white or off white if you are keeping your wall color. Push them aside or close, for a warm, soft, elegant feeling. The light will shine through sheers and your view to the outside will still be pretty. Add some color to your exsisting wall arrangement. Add a touch of whimsy in the room or on the wall. Change the rug under the coffee table to a vibrant pattern of colors. Pick up the colors of the rug with some fabulous pillows. Consider changing the base of the coffee table to an open style and not black like your wall piece. Maybe metal, brushed steel or a painted base. If you have room to move the wall piece over a bit, consider a small artificial plant or Christmass tree with white lights on it year round. That will add visual appeal. And eye catcher. If you find a sensational rug for under the coffee table you don't need the other rug to compete. Changing the sectional is major. You can achieve a different look and vibe to the room with smaller changes. Add a wow factor,See with new eyes. Let the eyes dance.

d vandee agradeció a patriciamarch
  • d vandee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thank you patriciamarch. I really like the idea of the cell shades and the clean look they will provide. Sectional is definitely going. The media center and fireplace are directly across from this sectional but the couch wasn't purchased to fit this room it was one we brought along when we moved into this house. The room dimensions are very odd and really don't allow for a sectional piece. The French Doors are nice to look at but actually impractical for furniture placement as the doors are never used. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Appreciate your suggestions.

• mosaicrevival
    hace 9 años

Dining / Kitchen · Más información

Hi deb. I personally can't live with grey as it is a very depressing colour to live in. i always think grey skies. I personally prefer warm colours. A light warm sand colour would suit tile. I feel you have a taste for coastal living and you may live south. Search coastal living in photos for further insperation. Have fun :) Benjamin Moore Wind's Breath, OC-24 is beautiful. you can pick up any warm colour in the tile. If you want more colour. you want some contrast so either light shade that is in tile or darker.

Benjamin Moore Winds Breath OC-24 · Más información

d vandee agradeció a mosaicrevival
  • Another Thyme
    hace 9 años
    mosaicrevival has got this right. We say "it's a grey day" and think it's awful do why would anyone want to sit around in a grey room? (Same goes for blue...we say I feel blue and are depressed!) You have some nice colour in your rugs so why not use them as your centre and add some life to your room.
    d vandee agradeció a Another Thyme
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años

The reason I like Sea Salt as a gray is that it has lots of nature's green in it.

• lenniel
    hace 9 años
    I agree that we should change the curtain and hang your new curtains much higher up just below the ceiling and perhaps change the area rug to something darker and larger and try to layer the colors more.

Also I love the look of black doors!
    d vandee agradeció a lenniel
  • lenniel
    hace 9 años

East Bay · Más información

Showhouse Girls Bedroom · Más información

• d vandee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

mosaicrevival I couldn't agree with you more. I painted several different grays and said "I just can't live in gray!" It seems to be the new neutral but I guess I won't be joining this trend. Color is such a personal expression. I do love the coastal feel and yes I live in Southern California. Thank you for the color recommendation. I feel great in that room! I really appreciate your time and great input.

• d vandee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

lenniel I don't know how the dark doors would look with a lighter coastal theme? I like the dark doors though and what they add to the room. Love the way the draperies are hanging also. I appreciate you taking the time to add your suggestions and comments to this post. Thank you.

• lenniel
    hace 9 años

oh yes you are absolutely right. I missed the part about a coastal theme. Definitely scratch the black doors lol

• Maggie Andersen
    hace 9 años
    I agree with the person who said do not use overhead lights. Lamp light can be so pretty and overhead lights are cold, dreary and sad. (This does not include can lights.)
  • Maggie Andersen
    hace 9 años
    Ideaplace222 has shown some beautiful things that would warm up and update this room so beautifully. The sunset looking picture and throw pillow would be great starts and have huge impact. Sometimes, I have to remove the things I don't like, even before finding replacements. They cloud your vision of what you want and hold you back. I would lose both the drapes and the rug.
  • PRO
    Kitchen to Bath Concepts
    hace 9 años

I agree with changing the curtains to simple panels and bringing them up a little higher. Change the rug to larger one that would at least allow front of furniture feet to sit on it. I would recommend a rug with softer colors, maybe tone on tone, unless you want to go with a bolder rug, which should be coordinated with other colors in the room, such as the accessories (pillows and art work). I would definitely remove the light from the ceiling fan. If you do not used the ceiling fan - you could remove it and consider a hanging light to add interest to the room. I think adding wood to the room would be nice, whether in furnishings or on a focal wall. Wood brings warmth to a space....it can be white washed for a coastal or old world look. No matter what theme you are going for - a little black (used in accessories) can help ground a room.

d vandee agradeció a Kitchen to Bath Concepts
  • PRO
    Applico- An Appliance & Lighting Company
    hace 9 años

I like the wall color and the color palette. I would change or get rid of the curtains. It's soothing and comfortable. You may want to consider changing the fan. I know many would recommend a chandelier, but if you want to keep a fan, I would choose a lighter color or even white or off white. The brown is drawing your eye down. I think the ceilings would recede better with a lighter color fixture.

d vandee agradeció a Applico- An Appliance & Lighting Company
  • tilttheworld
    hace 9 años
    I would add either colored pottery or glass on the shelf under photo, tie in a bit of one of the chosen colors as an accent pillow to the couch and bench on far wall for a pop in color.
    d vandee agradeció a tilttheworld
  • christoper
    hace 9 años

Hello,

suggest dropping the "tie backs" and removing the valance. Pull both the carpets back further (ie closer to the sectional, and the other carpet closer to the wall.

Consider moving the sectional so that it is in front of the doors, but about 4' from them. Keep carpet as close to the sectional as possible.

Fold the blanket into a square and put over one arm.

Spread out your sofa pillows. mix blues with beiges.

Paint out your shelf ($5.00 can of beige spray paint ) You might also consider painting the base of the coffee table..maybe even chalk paint (easy and no prep)

Try adding some lime or garden greenery into your arrangement to the right of the window.

Add a decorative item (even candles) or pottery, glass etc. to the coffee table..try for either lime green or your existing blue)

You just need to make a few changes and this room will be great.

The square sharp edge glass top on the table isn't working...could you replace it with oval glass or have the existing glass re-cut to round the corners

Removing the blades from your fan and painting them the ceiling color would be a big improvement. You want it to just fade into the ceiling.

Dimmers on your pot lights are a must.

Good Luck, it is a nice room and just requires a bit of editing. (love your large basket)

d vandee agradeció a christoper
  • Katie Zuccolo
    hace 9 años

Yellow and red are good color additions for a teal pieces. If you feel daring, paint the walls yellow to brighten up the room. You can add mulit-color printed pillows like someone mentioned before, to tie in the colors. Also, read this article that is on Houzz. Very helpful!! [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-use-teal-stsetivw-vs~2757052[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-use-teal-stsetivw-vs~2757052)

d vandee agradeció a Katie Zuccolo
  • alinayuriy
    hace 9 años

you have a very nice living room and the colors are great, even the wall color is good but those curtains, sorry, are awful. i would get solid blue grommet curtains on a black rod to tie in the rest of the blue accents, and a black rod because you have dark coffee table, dresser and that shelf behind sofa. your room is contemporary and curtain look like they are not from this era.

d vandee agradeció a alinayuriy
  • alinayuriy
    hace 9 años

and rug is too small for the size of room and a sofa size. i would get large rug so that it would be slightly bigger then sofa width and so that at least front legs of sofa would sit on it. it might be good to change light fixture also, never was a fan of fans.

d vandee agradeció a alinayuriy
  • inse
    hace 9 años
    I would raise the curtains as close to ceiling height as possible before I threw them out. get a more fitted straight valance instead of current one.
    d vandee agradeció a inse
  • d vandee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

christoper thank you for your comments and recommendations. I moved the couch like you recommended and it makes the space so much more inviting and cozy. Added some greenery like suggested and it really does give some more life to the room (added something I had at home but will keep my eyes open for something better). Painting the shelf and base of the coffee table today as you've suggested until I purchase the new pieces. Replacing the coffee table soon! Now I can enjoy the room while ordering my new furniture pieces. The living room measurements are back wall 14' , side wall 7' the wall with french doors 14 ' a 9 ft. media wall. The space is small and limited as to furniture placement. The TV is over the fireplace so figuring out furniture pieces for this room has been a challenge also. I really want a left chaise and a right chaise with two pieces in between. This is the only living space in the house and it needs to be kick back comfortable!

• lenniel
    hace 9 años

HI, I came across this site http://laurelberninteriors.com/2014/03/26/great-shades-white-paint/ while browsing the internet looking for gray paint colors and I thought of your coastal theme. I thought you might like these beautiful rooms, they also show curtain placement. I am a very visual person and photos help me a lot so I thought this might give you some ideas.

Paint Color is Pratt & Lambert Ancestral (below)

Excerpt from website: Pratt and Lambert ANCESTRAL. My old living room was painted this color and I lived with it for 12 years and never ever tired of it. It’s soft and warm. I discovered it because VICTORIA HAGAN had painted her home in the Hamptons that color. There’s a good reason. The colors after it on the fan deck look green. Ancestral is in no way any shade of green. It’s a lovely cream. I recommend it highly, however, my room was quite bright and I think that it is better for a bright room.

Have you ever thought of adding lavender accents and maybe a Sisal rug? Adding greenery gies the space life.

Green

Bold Rugs

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

• christoper
    hace 9 años

Glad you are moving forward...Post us a few more pictures and we might be able to suggest a few more things. There are so many things you can do with little or no cost that really will make your room work.

• D C
    hace 9 años

Ditch the ceiling fan..... they add nothing to a room. They are purely a function of necessity and in my opinion detract from real design.

d vandee agradeció a D C
  • VA Kl
    hace 9 años
    Agree with removing the curtains. I would add a dark bamboo type shade as a valance and then sheers (tone on tone print if possible) hanging straight and not swaged. Agree with larger carpet and your accent color is too spread out. Make the statement or pick another accent and use the aqua in your small pieces.
    d vandee agradeció a VA Kl
  • christoper
    hace 9 años

How about Benjamin Moore "Warm Sand" for paint...?

Don't think you need to get rid of the drapery panels..they soften the room. They should probably being hanging straight down. If you want to keep the valance, it appears as if the rod sags in the middle, (if so add another track support in the center of the rod.) A brass rod would keep the look light (not black) if you remove the valance. Yes, brass is making a comeback!

If you don't have a mirror in the room, adding one will add some sparkle. Maybe one with a driftwood frame. HomeShop has some nice driftwood pieces.

• kr3w4
    hace 9 años

You should try using light blue curtains instead for more color

d vandee agradeció a kr3w4
  • kkhodo
    hace 9 años

my first reaction looking at your pic is the dark coffee table w/ the glass top -- it doesn't seem to fit. Maybe swap the coffee table out for a different style &/or color? I like the soft color pallet too & agree that getting rid of the drapes or letting them hang straight to the floor, plus adding a few items in a single darker accent color (a couple pillows, maybe an ottoman &/or a picture) would add a "pop" to the room.

Or better yet, perhaps paint the walls a mushroom/taupe color &/or paint the black furniture a weathered dark grey color. I think a dark grey w/ an antiqued finish would look really nice with the rest of the beachy aspects of the room. Good luck!

d vandee agradeció a kkhodo
  • PRO
    PT Designs Inc. / DDI
    hace 9 años

In a perfect world would negate the tile floor (to cold and hard) and install a "whitewash" wood or engineered wood…but would need to know flooring in other areas of the home first as that definitely comes into play. Would soften seating area with round table, maybe introduce an organic table base such as a rustic drift wood base with round glass top…Instead of drapery panels/valance I would install woven roman shades (alone) in a wood/white wash finish to add further texture, a little warmth yet maintain the soft palette orrrr you could add to the textured romans stationary drapery panels on either end in an off white to add much needed fabric if the tile floor stays. The area rugs are extremely important given the tile floor…they need to be larger to ground the entire sitting area…thus as someone else mentioned above, the main rug needs to float under your furniture …this is hard given the angular shape of the sofa but can be done perhaps with a larger 8 x 10? rug or a custom cut and bind (you find broadloom carpeting and have it cut to size and bound on the edges)…an area rug with some pattern would be nice though. Fan & ceiling light seems imposing, if not a necessity I would get rid of but most that have fans, need/use them for circulation needs etc.. It is a great start! Best of luck!

d vandee agradeció a PT Designs Inc. / DDI
  • d vandee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

lenniel thank you for your time and your posts. I absolutely love love the first living room photo. Definitely something I could live in. Thanks again for your great input!

• d vandee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

PT Designs Inc. Paula Tranfaglia - Decorating Den Thank you for your time and suggestions. I agree with everything you say about the ceiling fan but unfortunately it will stay. Whitewash floors most definitely. Love that look. The table is going to be round I've found the one I want. The sofa is being replaced as discussed in previous posts. Thank you for all your input. Appreciate you taking the time to post.

• PRO
    Fierce Phoenix Ventures
    hace 9 años

If it were me I would take the curtains down and paint the whole doorway black. Also add black crown molding. I would either change the floors to a dark wood or cover with a large rug. I would add some sort of paneling to the ceiling. Either in a board and batten style or traditional styling, and paint that a white with a shiny finish. Or paint the ceiling black, I know that that sounds weird for some people but it can actually make the ceiling look taller. That's just a few things I would do.

• danabaigazy
    hace 9 años

hello! i also like colors! but i advice to change blinds, is it possible to place it a bit higher (20 or 25 sm) ?

later i can send some examples of blinds to your room

d vandee agradeció a danabaigazy
  • patriciamarch
    hace 9 años

Personally, and my opinion only, if you do not use the large doors to the outside often, go with cell shades. I have cell shades in five of my rooms. Including the kitchen in a lavender shade. Curtains are out. If you want a more formal look in the room you are showing, panels with grommets are an option. Choose something heavy and with color if you go that route. With cell shades,you will be pleasantly surprised not only the mood they provide to a room but also an immediate interest and decor element. Especially as I mentioned before, with the bottom up and the top down it is a cozy and charming touch and adds instant decor. I love the choices of color and textures. Let your room speak to you. If the sectional is going, take everything out and start with ONE thing you love and go from there. If your room has an odd shape, etc,. take advantage of that. You don't have to fill every space. It is a beautiful room and has immense potential. The window is beautiful. Keep the woodwork white and if you stay with your current wall color, paint your ceiling in semi gloss paint (white flat paint is out) in one shade lighter. The light will bounce off the ceiling and add yet another new interest. If you can possibly get rid of the fan, think about a strip of pendants in a color. Pendants don't just hang over an island anymore. The tile floor may be cold, but replacing is expensive unless you are definitely going to add a wood floor. Shop for a fabulours large rug that you absolutely love and once again, go from there. Change the coffee table to a lighter or different base. You have the space to do something big for that piece. Add an end table with a great lamp or a table behind the sofa with a lamp if you are not fond of end tables. Try a large archetectural clock on the wall where you have an arrangement, It will be an eye catcher and an interesting element vs doing another varied arrangement.

d vandee agradeció a patriciamarch
  • Janie Burton
    hace 9 años
    Just use straight panels at the window and find a larger area rug that the entire sectional can sit on. The color tones are good.
    d vandee agradeció a Janie Burton
  • carolyngarland
    hace 9 años
    Like all comments. Is there wall space to put the sectional into the corner, the add two chairs facing the picture wall, thus making a conversational group?
  • carolyngarland
    hace 9 años
    Never mind.
  • patriciamarch
    hace 9 años

Send a new picture when the sectional is gone. I would opt for two wonderfully comfortable matching chairs in a pattern.. Chairs that just invite you and your guests to come sit. Instead of a sofa, how about a love seat. The love seat, a solid color. Something casual and comfortable. Love seats can easily seat two people. Place a sofa table and lamp behind the love seat. Add a large rug with a wonderful pop of color after you have chosen furniture. A glass top coffee table is always attractive and keeps the space open and bright. If the fan stays, you could change to one with a color on the blades or paint them yourself and skip the light bulb in the center. Depending on the look your are aiming for you could paint the blades on the fan silver or a metallic brown/beige. A color that picks up a color in the furniture. You will have achieved a warm conversational center.
    The sides and corners of the room could include bookshelves, tall plants, a simple desk with a parsons chair for some height. Perhaps a high back chair in a corner with a metal or wrought iron table just big enough to place a book or drink. Outside garden pieces can be wonderful inside too. Shop for a stunning wall print that becomes a focal point, a beautiful mirror. Make up your own personal wall arrangement of family pictures. Mix up the color and size of the frames. the frames, Arrange the pictures sporatically instead of just a square arrangement. Lay your framed pictures on the floor, play with options to create a more unusual array. The large window to the yard is beautiful. It obviously lets a lot of light into the room. Just let it be, instead of window treatments, except I again, would consider cell shades. Instant decor without a lot of fuss and decision making. Top down and bottom up create a wonderful ambiance and mood to a room. Simple,clean and uncluttered. Wait on the color until you have made other choices. ( also,possibly matching sconces with tea lights flanking the sides of the window.) A nice touch at night or when entertaining. Take things step by step until it fits into place and works for you. Find that one thing that knocks you out and you will have made a start. Have fun doing your room.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.