Houzz Logo Print
risforremodel

Tile or what for top of shower bench and knee wall?

risforremodel
hace 9 años

We are remodeling our master bath and will have a shower with a curb around 47 1/4 inch long. It is highly recommend by glass shower enclosure places that the curb sill not have any grout lines. They said the knee wall top would be better with no grout lines, but that it should be "ok" if it has them. We were going to put ceramic tile on the top of the 36'" W x 16" deep bench and tile the top of the knee wall but now thinking of putting quartz or granite slab (3/4" deep is extra cost but 1 1/4" seems heavy) on the curb sill, top of bench, top of knee wall, and then the sill of our niche. This of course adds a lot of money. Or we could find a longer travertine threshold piece for the curb sill and just ceramic tile everything else. What do you think?

Comentarios (6)

• amberm145
    hace 9 años

I am planning to have the countertop fabricators use some cut off pieces from doing the counter. The quotes I've gotten for the curb and niche are pretty cheap, since the material is basically garbage at that point anyway, it's just the cost of cutting it to size and grinding the edges.

The top of the bench is a different story, since it needs a bigger piece. it's minimal if I have to buy a full slab of quartz for the vanity. But I'm hoping to get a remnant, so there might not be enough left over. Buying a full slab so I can have the bench done in the same material is a lot more money. So I'm accepting that there's probably going to be grout lines there.

But there's going to be a lot more grout lines on the floor of the shower, so I'm not worried about it from a waterproofing perspective.

risforremodel agradeció a amberm145
  • leela4
    hace 9 años

We have no bench, but otherwise we did exactly what you are proposing. We have quartzite for our counter, curb threshold, and knee wall. I really like how it pulls it all together, and how clean it looks.

risforremodel agradeció a leela4
  • jewelisfabulous
    hace 9 años

We used leftover granite from our counters and tub decking to create the curb top and the shelves inside the shower niches. Most fabricators have scrap available so you don't have to buy a whole slab.

risforremodel agradeció a jewelisfabulous
  • PRO
    Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
    hace 9 años

I'm with the others. While tile can be used, You're so much better off using the same solid surface as your vanity top (note I said solid surface and not granite or marble-- you CAN use siltstone, or any of the other man made surfaces). Not only does it mean greater longevity for the shower, but also easier to clean, and in the case of the pony wall and/or curb, makes for a better surface to install the glass onto. Makes for a nice design feature to draw thw whole bathroom together, too.

risforremodel agradeció a Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
  • risforremodel
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

I definitely see the point about tying the whole bath together with the threshold, counter, knee wall top, curb, bench, and niche sill having the same material. I was hoping to do a Tere-stone countertop, but maybe granite or quartz for the rest except the top of the knee wall would have to be tiled so the granite/quartz didn't look too busy next to faux granite pattern on the Tere-stone. Tere-stone doesn't send anyone to template so I am paranoid about relying on my contractor to measure for these pieces plus I think Tere-stone would be more expensive than granite/quartz. My quote for a 36" vanity countertop with integrated backsplash, integrated sink, and 1 side splash is $625

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.