Houzz Logo Print
heather_retz

Pleaseeeee!!! Bedroom Help!

Heather Ford
hace 9 años

My husband and I just bought our first home together and he is deploying in two weeks. I told him I would make our house more "homey" by the time he gets home. I am a terrible decorator. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

Comentarios (45)

• MarleneM
    hace 9 años
    Hi Heather, I think a few tweaks would make a big difference and you could do this before hubby deploys even. Change sheets to some crisp whites ones. Add a set of three prints above headboard like in this inspiration photo. Then add some nice tall lamps, something reflective like Mercury glass would be pretty.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1201435
  • OldGrayMare
    hace 9 años
    Awww....you tell that deploying husband of yours that we ALL send him hugs and best wishes!! My awesome SEAL son-in-law is due home next month, and my awesome Marine son has been back awhile now. And how exciting to have a brand new house to turn into a home!!! Keep us posted with pics etc on your progress! Hugs to you too...the hardest working (and least appreciated!!) members of the military!!! XOXOX
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

Hi Heather. Can you post a few pictures of all walls and a floor plan with measures and doors and windows and apron. measures?

• sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

some ideas. see if there is anything you like

Master Spa Retreat · Más información
    Chocolate Model Home · Más información
    East Side Elegance · Más información
    Contemporary Bedroom · Más información
    Kara Weik © 2012 Houzz · Más información
    great bedroom · Más información

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    hace 9 años

Congrats on your new home...

Check out this blog posts..

http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/01/06/master-bedroom-design/

Be sure to invest wisely in great bedding and a mattress.

For bedding consider eastern accents and peacock alley.

Happy Designing!

• Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    This the whole room
  • Linda
    hace 9 años

Hi Heather, you must be so excited.

Let's start with budget?, what are you looking to buy? (Lamps etc)

Need more pics of the entire room

When you say 'homey' what colours were you thinking of? Are you a colour person or prefer neutrals?

If budget is tight, don't worry we can still make the room gorgeous, so be mega honest (I just bought 2 lamps and they cost $150 total, I'm not big on spending a fortune for a lamp I will change in a year)

Do you have kids as they will impact on what's in the room

I'd say you need -

bedding/cushions (what size of bed do you have, queen etc?)

lamps x 2

art x 1 above bed (do you like abstract, framed pics, ? )

What's on your windows? Do you want curtains?

We can find you lovely things at any price point.

If you can answer the questions above I can start looking for items for you to decide on.

My advice/opinion would be to go neutral as you have dark floors and furniture.

Is your furniture black or dark brown?

• Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Linda,

We like neutrals but we can do colors here and there. Our furniture is black and our bed in a queen. I like framed pictures rather then abstract art. We have no kids, but we do have a dog. We are also on a budget as much as I would like to think I'm not lol.
  • jturner2urf
    hace 9 años

Heather, Linda helped me do a lovely bedroom on an extremely tight budget! I used a very neutral pallet and there were so many inexpensive items that came together for a wonderful space! I'll post a photo later, if you're interested! I know you must be so excited with your new home! It's such a lovely idea for you to have a beautiful master bedroom when your husband returns! Can't wait to see your room unfold!

• Linda
    hace 9 años
    I will get looking Heather!

I have set up an ideabook called 'heather', that way you can go in and look, it will save me time posting.

And as you only have a couple of weeks we need to work fast to get items ordered
  • jturner2urf
    hace 9 años

We cross posted! I did a complete redo including ceiling fixtures, all new bedding, and a rug for less than $350!

• jturner2urf
    hace 9 años

Linda, We have longer than two weeks I think. I think she wants to decorate while he's away and he's leaving in two weeks! Where is your husband heading and what branch of the military is he in?

• Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    He's going to Afghanistan and we are both in the Army. I have the whole 9 months. :) our bedroom and living room are the two rooms I'm having a hard time with.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

Heather, any of the rooms I posted appeals to you? To get an idea of the style. Also your favorite color and your husband's?

• Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    This one did
  • Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Blue is our favorite color
  • studio10001
    hace 9 años

You have some eager Houzzers looking for information from you. Perhaps you might start an ideabook for yourself, so they can get an idea of what you are drawn to? Better info will lead to better results, and that includes photos of all walls, an idea of your preferences beyond framed pictures, and any hobbies, etc. that might lend themselves to personalizing this room for you both. Best of luck on your project.

• PRO
    The Staging Fashionista
    hace 9 años

I did a makeover similar to this for a military couple. Here are a few ideas! All the items were bought at HomeGoods, Ikea and ROSS. Hope this helps!

• Linda
    hace 9 años
    That's good news we don't need to rush!

Heather I would probably go with a black and white theme,

Duvet set - white with black border
    Pillows - black/white
    Lamps - white

Then maybe some blue accents if that's your colour.

Still need pics of the whole room when you get a minute.

There is a duvet set on sale just for today on Amazon (in ideabook) , have a look, I think it's gorgeous and fresh at a great price

Also it's difficult to tell what size of lamps you may need/want, so remember to check any sizes I've listed.
  • Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @linda I uploaded pictures of the room it's in the comments
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Shop IKEA, great things on a budget. Over bed a big 45" sunburst mirror in silver tones. Love wall color. Play off it. Your bedding is alright so. But, always use white sheets. Buy 600 count. Very soft. Bed, Bath n Beyond. Or Anna's. TJ Max for accessories like mirror and bedding. Layer bedding after getting new sheets and pillow cases. Buy extra sleep pillows. Make bed cozy. Keep gray top and fold back 1/3 add a fur type throw for foot get a big one so can come up 1/3. Get white pillow shams place I front of sleep pillows. On nite stands add lucite base, and gray shades lamps each end. IKEA sells a tall 6 ft floor mirror in a wide dark frame. Lean on a wall. Can't see whole room so hard to tell. But a bedroom needs a floor mirror. Is there wood on floor? If so get a big 8x10 area rug gray with another color use that color as accent. Pull 1/3 of the way under bed front foot of bed. There are some great post on here to give you ideas. The secret is not to be cluttered, no small items on walls. Window covers make them full use color of walls just darker. Must go to floor.
  • Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Also our bed broke so we are about to buy a whole new set. Should we stick with black or go to brown?
  • Linda
    hace 9 años
    new set -

Do you mean a bed and bedside tables?

Will you be keeping the other black furn in the room?
  • backsplashideas
    hace 9 años

A signature wall painted in a deep purple would look nice. I would also look for a piece of artwork somewhere by the bed that will stand out nicely and make the room look a bit more romantic. Could you possibly take more pictures of the bedroom?

• Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yea a whole new set. And here's more pictures of the room. I also want to paint the walls because the paint is flat and you see every scratch from my dog lol
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años

a big contemporary mirror above bed and white lamps for bedside tables

• Linda
    hace 9 años

• Linda
    hace 9 años
    Brown or black?

I suppose it depends on the budget

I think black can look gorgeous as long as it's expensive - ish!

Some black 'to build', in MO dosen't last that long.

Brown certainly is softer and goes with most colours but again it depends on the style your looking for.

If you go into 'photos' on houzz and go to 'bedrooms' flick through brown or black sets you like the look of and pop in ideabook, it will be easier than trying to find something with really no idea of your style

Also I can't find the other pics of your room, I use an iPad which is usually a nightmare with Houzz systems
  • jturner2urf
    hace 9 años

I can't find the room pictures either. What about a padded or tufted headboard? I think that really gives the look and feel of luxury. It made a big difference in my room. I saw Nancy mentioned a star burst mirror. I have a mirror to put over my bed... just need to get it hung! I agree with linda on the furniture. .. it definitely is a case of getting what you pay for. Do you have a large closet? Or do you need a lot of storage?

• Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I have a walk in closet so storage isn't really an issue. I'm new to this app so it might be me that's the issue with uploading pictures. I just redid it. Can you see them?
  • Linda
    hace 9 años
    Sorry no can't see them

Are you going into your ideabook

Click add photo

Asks from library or 'to take pic'

Click library

Tick pic
  • MarleneM
    hace 9 años
    You don't have to get a "set", it's more interesting to mix pieces. An upholstered bed is a nice statement piece in a room. Here is one in a dark charcoal, mixed with wood end tables and warmer colour carpet and walls.
    http://houzz.com/photos/510391
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Pull up Ikea.com. look for draperies: grommet top hang from just below the ceiling to just touch the floor. I bought my king size white iron bed from Ikea for 200.00. I also bought Ikea's version of memory foam mattress to use with no box springs only wood slats. Very good buy.

You can find probably everything there except for your art & your bedding. No one can choose art for you, but you. None of the furniture in the bedroom needs to match. The lamps should match though. You can use two different bedside tables. They just need to be the same height. Lamps can come from Ikea buy LED. Bulbs last 20,000 hours & are cool running & use less power.

• sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Bravo to you and your husband for your valiant service to America. It looks like you have carpet. Is this correct? I can see that you have a tray ceiling which is a great feature for either a ceiling fan or a chandelier. I would go with brown rather than black for color choices. If you both like blue, look at the blue or teal drapes at Ikea. I love really poufy white comforters on top of the sheets. Do buy high thread count sheets. I you plan to paint I would go with an almost white teal color. Use print only with the decorative pillows. Everything else should be plain. Stack two sets of bed pillows at the head, lean two print coral or print with coral & teal in euro size pillows against the two stacks, I finish it off with a lovely deep teal lumbar pillow in the middle.

• patrinkac
    hace 9 años
    The theme seems, rightly, go BIG.......if I have seen/learned anything on HOUZZ it is that a bunch of littletinystuff doesn't please and many posting their dilemma can't put their finger on why and wrongly feel they can't decorate!
    You are on the right track scanning HOUZZ and setting the knowledgable folks here on the design trail. Good luck and thank you and your spouse for your service. Florida Girl
  • jturner2urf
    hace 9 años
    As far as storage, a walk in closet is great! Maybe you don't need as many chest pieces. Less furniture will make the room look lots bigger. is that a tv at the end of the bed? You could hang the tv with a small credenza that wall mounts. It also will allow a perfect viewing level while laying down. It's hard to tell from the photo, is your rug brown?
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Place a natural colored faux fur throw across the bottom 1/3 of the bed. If you have carpeting, just buy two 2.5 X 4 foot sheepskin type rugs at each side of the bed so when you get out of bed you step on them. Hang your art similar to the way MarleneM in the photo labeled Portfolio has hung the art. You could mat & frame some of you wedding photos & hang them on a wall adjacent to the bed such as the four in that same photo.

• Heather Ford
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    So I think I figured out how to upload the pictures so you can see them. I put them in the idea book. Thank you everyone for the ideas I really do appreciate it. Me and my husband are very simple people. We don't like girly things if that helps. I'm definitely going to look at ikea for new furniture
  • Linda
    hace 9 años
    The pictures of the rest of the room are great, looks like a large room.

If your other furniture is in good condition, I'd just get a bed at ikea, maybe iron.

If you prefer things simple I'd -

1. Get the bed first (so your decided on new/staying furniture)
    2. Get plain white curtain panels that hang (no tie backs etc) - possibly a plain black iron curtain pole, pop it a little higher above the window-nothing fancy, ikea would be good.
    3. The black/white duvet cover in the ideabook is great looking, non girly, but still looks fresh.
    4. Nice black/white pillows with maybe a blue lumbar to soften the room
    5. White lamps x 2. (Not bulky or too high)
    6. Some blue candles (just to soften the room-not to make it girly)

Let us know how you get on at Ikea
  • jturner2urf
    hace 9 años

The pictures of your room are lovely! I love the black and white with touches of light blue! It would be easy to change up if you decided too. I hope you have a successful trip to ikea! Keep us posted!

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    A tall padded headboard in Gray. Will go a long way in completing your home. Since the bed is the biggest item in room. Make it nice. Put your money there. The rest will follow.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Don't match all furn. Bed a fabric padded headboard. End tables should be bigger than what you show. So whole wall is covered with bed and night stands big tall lamps. You could put a dresser in closet if room so you can have more room. Is TV going in here? If painting go very pale. I like your gray. Maybe a shade lighter than that. I would not go a blue. To much like a baby room. Revere Pewter may give both. Get samples. Use white and silver accents.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.