Houzz Logo Print
laurz84

Kitchen paint advice

laurz84
hace 9 años
Hi. This is a pic of my kitchen, well before we lived there but nothing much has changed except we have a black dishwasher instead of the far right cupboard.

We are starting stripping wallpaper etc this weekend to be able to plaster.

I want...
white metro tiles with dark grout
Dark wood effect laminate - square edged
Dark wood laminate flooring

Questions:

I want the walls white but because the cupboards are a cream can anyone recommend what type of white I should go for? Preferably a Dulux shade if you know one.

Also what type of sink? Black or go with stainless?

The rest of the room is a kitchen diner. I have a table and chairs very similar to the pic attached. Grey with oak (I like mixing wood) and also have a cabinet ready to be painted red as per the pic.

Let me know if the red will go?

Comentarios (20)

• laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here is my dresser...
  • minnie101
    hace 9 años
    Hi. I will start by saying I'm not a pro so could be entirely wrong! However I think if you are mixing cream and white, which can be difficult, you need to have layers of the different colours to make it work. i would add either cream pendants or a cream blind etc to bring more cream back in. If you are doing this I think you could mix either a stark white or a white with a cream undertone. Pic attached to show what I mean. The red dresser will look good but I would add some red accessories. If you have one item in a room in a single colour it becomes the sole focal point. A stainless steel sink would look good or even consider white?
  • laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    So that paint looks a very natural white, will try and find something similar!
  • PRO
    RD Interior ReDesign & Home Staging
    hace 9 años
    Hi first I love the colour combinations and the mix of natural wood. It is always difficult to see a true colour in an uploaded photograph for instance your kitchen looks more milky white than cream which would not go particularly well with the metro tiles - have you considered painting your kitchen cabinets and doors (or sending them away for a more professional finish)? If that route appeals then you may like to consider a soft grey for the doors and cabinets which would look stunning against the white walls, metro tiles and the grout colour plus the red dresser and natural wood.

Minnie101 is quite right re cream and white and also about the choice of sink material. In this case I would go with stainless steel and introduce small pops of red or green in your accessories. I also agree that pendant lighting similar to the above photo would be great.
    Just be aware that too much of one colour makes a room look sterile and boring - you have avoided that so far with the table and chair mix plus the dresser all of which will show off nicely against white walls and feature metro tiles.
  • laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The cupboards are going to stay as they are, I don't want to paint etc as they look good as they are and I would rather work around them.

Can anyone recommend paint colour and tile colour based on that. The cupboards are more cream in actuality.

I am painting the hallway in just walnut by dulux so would it be better to go with this very light grey and grey metro tiles with the cream?
  • laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Something like this....
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Just Walnut is a lovely colour have you tried painting an A4 piece of card with a tester then held it against the cream cupboards?
    Personally I would not advise grey metro tiles unless very pale grey. You could also consider sage (take a look at Greenwich Park Sage metro tile) this would look lovely with cream cabinets and wood accents.
  • laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Do you think those in the picture are too dark a grey?
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Hi Laurz84 - to be honest yes, if you can go to a tile outlet such as Tops tiles or a really good independent tile store that has a wide range of colours and style of tile you can take sample tiles for a small refundable deposit. This is the only way to be absolutely sure that the particular shade of grey you think you would like would look good next to your kitchen cabinet colour.
    Grey is one of my favourite colours because as long as you have the correct shade and tone it is the perfect foil for white and the other colours in a scheme.
  • PRO
    True Colours Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I agree with RD Interiors that white metro tiles won't work with a cream kitchen. Have you looked at Cream metro tiles? Although I would get a sample one from somewhere like Topps Tiles and check that the 2 creams work together. A favourite colour of mine that I have put with creams and greys is Dulux Welsh Flint. I recently used it for a kitchen that had greys and reds in it.
  • PRO
    Jaimie K Designs Ltd
    hace 9 años
    agree with true interiors and RD go with the cream metro tiles then pick a soft colour for the walls. Look at Valspar paint at B and Q and agree grey with the cream will lift the whole room and have grey grout in between the tiles to tie it all in and give in dimension
  • laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for comments.

Welsh Flint is nice but a bit darker than my North facing kitchen can handle. I have just walnut in swatches on my hallway and think it will be nice to have the colour flow through as the floor will also be the same.

Will get some tile samples.

So the consensus is poss cream tiles with a grey grout?
  • PRO
    Jaimie K Designs Ltd
    hace 9 años
    Yes it will look lovely Lauraz , wall colour I have just used is "quiet interlude" it is a really good grey soft but warm. Valspar paint at B and Q same price as dulux only better as harder wearing and colour match spot on. B and Q are also doing the metro tiles for 12.00 for 50 at the moment so a good buy. good luck and would love to see it finished.
  • lindahampton1
    hace 8 años

Cream with black metro tiles.

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

I love all the colours and textures that you have going on, however you are never going to make cream go with white. The tiles will just make the cupboards look discoloured and dirty. You will either have to change your mind on the metro tiles and tone down the stark white to an off white / ivory or change the kitchen cupboard doors.

• laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    The kitchen is finished now. This is when it was nearly finished but I don't have a final picture to hand. We went with cream tiles, a copy of Laura Ashley artisan tiles instead of metro tiles and a matching grout. The metro tiles in cream just didn't look quite right.

I realised the white wouldn't work!

And I went with Dulux polished pebble on the walls as it still came out very light and just walnut looked just like a dirty white when we put testers up.

Went with patterned tiles too and painted the dresser green not red.
  • laurz84
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Probably can see the tiles better here.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Love it, very pretty and like the splash of green on the dresser for colour, well done you ! x

• minnie101
    hace 8 años

It looks great! Glad you went with cream! What is the green colour? I love it!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.