Houzz Logo Print
dreambee

is it crazy to install french glass doors leading to a guest bedroom??

Nina Binder
hace 9 años
some of you have been following my very spontaneous remodel that started with just the laundry room and now extended to the rooms next to it. I am building a cafe bar / bistro room which doesn't have windows and I am thinking about stealing natural light from the guest bedroom next to it which has ample light. would if be awful to have a bedroom with a glass (see through) entrance door if I hang nice curtains on the bedroom side to close for privacy?? it almost sounds dingy already but it would give such nice lights. ps.: I do have guest frequently

Comentarios (12)

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

really thick curtains with really good black out lining and velcro dots to hold them down. i have our sun room as overflow guest space, i made fabric panels that attach on the black of the door. total blackout (fabric on both sides to look nice) and that hold down with velcro dots. when no one is staying i take them down.

• Maureen
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Without Guests: Whether light comes through french doors or with the door left open, it will be the same amount of light filtering in. With Guests: for the short time they are in the room during daylight it would be minimal time you are missing natural light, as most of the time the door will be closed in the evening.

• Geneviève
    hace 9 años

The question is... would you feel comfortable sleeping at someones house with a French door like that one ?

• doctornancy
    hace 9 años

I have a guest room with similar French doors and I had the same concern, so I slept in the room one night. I did not like the lack of privacy. I've since installed frosted film on the panes. It allows light in, but gives the room privacy. I'm not entirely happy with it, though. I like the above posters idea of fabric using velcro dots, put up for guests, taken down other times.

• PRO
    The Creative Man
    hace 9 años

It would depend where the bed is to the french doors. A simple room divider or screen could secure the privacy that is necessary. One could always have shades of some sort attached to the back of the doors to give complete privacy when needed.

• User
    hace 9 años

How about door inserts with internal venetian blinds?

• sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

a door with so much glass will not provide a lot of sound privacy either

• abbyjean
    hace 9 años

I think this could work with the shades attached above or drapes to pull for company. Ask one of your guests that you trust what they would think about it.

• sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Do the room darkening drapes w/Velcro dots or window shades on the inside of the French doors. Explain why to your guests.

• Ann
    hace 9 años

My MIL had a similar situation and actually made the whole wall glass with drapes on the inside. The door was just a regular door. I always thought it a bit odd but it did flood the room with light when the drapes were open.

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    thank you all so much for your input! I ended up ditching the French door idea and instead created a cute little nook there with a chandelier going up on the ceiling. should be finished by Friday. the privacy issue just didn't feel right in my gut. as much as I would have loved the extra light
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.