Houzz Logo Print
reneg62

Kitchen Reno!

reneg62
hace 9 años
We took down two walls and more than doubled our outdated 90's kitchen. We did the design ourselves, but hired pros to execute our design. We love the result!
Highlights: custom cabinetry gray lowers and white uppers, quartz countertops, Lyra from Silestone, white subway tile, new built in pantry with frosted 4-panel doors, double farm sink from Franke, new Dacor range and Kobe hood, 8x3' island with bookcase end, wire pull-out racks for storage, and microwave hidden on the back side, new inset lighting, under cabinet lighting, and pendants from Kichler lighting (all on dimmers), built in desk with hidden pull out printer cabinet, keyboard tray, and tower storage. Also, new electrical with USB ports on the island and desk. Last but not least, we went with high grade rustic laminate flooring from Mannington; Acadia, Firewood. We have a large dog, and this flooring is tough and hides the dirt! The wall color is Penthouse from Benjamin Moore. It was a fun process. I got most of my ideas from Houzz.

Comentarios (107)

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hello amason6422
    Our cabinet maker purchased the wire racks and installed them. You can find his contact information in "Find a Pro" under Beebe Woodworking.
  • reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The glass pendants are very easy to clean. I clean them about every 6 weeks or so, and it takes less than five minutes. I chose them because they are clear, and do not obstruct the view of the cabinetry. They are less obtrusive than other pendants I considered. I love them. You can find them at Kitchler Lighting.
  • PRO
    ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
    hace 9 años

You can find the Kichler pendants in nickel, here: http://illuminationslightingonline.com/brand-kichler/one-light-brushed-nickel-down-pendant/sku-V2-42141nics They also come in Chrome and Bronze. They could possibly be glary, but what most people do is change the wattages of bulbs in it to get a balance of good work lighting with minimal glare.

• We Make It Our Home
    hace 9 años

Amazing transformation ! Great job :)

• PRO
    Barn Light Electric Company
    hace 9 años

Beautiful! Love the open layout and the colors are gorgeous. Amazing job!

• feisty68
    hace 9 años

Love your kitchen!

Would you care to give feedback on your Kobe hood?

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

We really love our Kobe hood. Kobe has discontinued the exact model we have (RA9436SQB), but have upgraded this model to have more speeds. We got ours at a killer priced due to the close out. We were advised by our local dealer to consider sones when looking at hoods. Fan noise is measures in sones. Since our kitchen and great room are open to each other, fan noise and efficiency is a huge deal to us. The Kobe has a quiet mode, and isn't terribly noisy on high mode when you're cooking something like bacon or fish. We also were advised to get a 36" for our 30" range to maximize efficiency. We were amazed at how well it works. We used to have the cheesy kind that was mounted underneath the microwave.... Those stink....literally.

• feisty68
    hace 9 años

Reneg62 - thank you SO much for providing info about your hood! Our considerations are similar to yours so it really helps to have detailed info about how Kobe worked for you :) .

reneg62 agradeció a feisty68
  • scottevie
    hace 9 años

This looks great. We are in the midst of a similar style kitchen reno and the pendants we have chosen are almost identical to yours in shape and size. May I ask the dimensions of your island bench? 3 lights looks perfect here but I think it will be too much for our 2 metre (6.5 feet) island.

reneg62 agradeció a scottevie
  • reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Our island quartz top is 8' x 3', and the cabinetry is 7' x 2'. I debated whether or not to go with two pendants vs three, but I'm glad I went with three based on the scale of the island.
  • Alex Garcia
    hace 8 años

I like how they did there wire pull-outs

reneg62 agradeció a Alex Garcia
  • Rosanna Dagostino
    hace 8 años
    Hard to believe it was the same space, amazing , love it
    reneg62 agradeció a Rosanna Dagostino
  • sarahmlee44
    hace 8 años

Beautiful renovation! It looks gorgeous! Curious how well you are liking your Dacor range ... especially since you mentioned you were concerned about noise with your range hood. I am about the buy Dacor's new 48" all-gas range and would *love* to get some input from a current Dacor renovation! Do you like yours? Is yours all gas or duel fuel? If it's an all-gas model, how do you like baking in it, and most importantly - how is the noise on the cooling fan? (I have been able to "try out" the noise level of the DF fan but not the all-gas). Thank you!

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    My Dacor is an all gas range, and let me tell you... I LOVE it! I'm a cook more than a baker, but my close friend, and amazing baker loves her 48" immensely. She bakes pies by the dozens, along with the best rolls and other desserts I've ever tasted. She's kind of famous for her baking in these parts. She actually has a 48" Dacor and double ovens too.
    Our hood is not a Dacor. It is made by Kobe and we love it. It's very efficient, and isn't too noisy. There are more details about it above in another post. I also love that the Dacor is American made. Be sure you get the cast iron grill attachment if your range does not come with one. It's certainly worth it. My husband loves cooking bacon, eggs, steaks, and many other things on it. He initially balked at the price, but after one use, he was sold.
  • sarahmlee44
    hace 8 años

Oh, this is great! I am SO glad to hear you (and your friend) like it! What a relief!! (I'm about to place my order this week). Thanks for replying. Can I ask a few more questions? OK, is yours the Renaissance line? Same question for your friend with the 48". (Is hers all-gas too?) The reason I'm asking about the Renaissance line in particular is because I'm trying to figure out about the noise level of the range fan in the all-gas Renaissance. I'm not talking about the hood -- but there is a built-in cooling fan for the oven itself... I guess to regulate temperature and cool it down quickly after use. Not sure its purpose, but I know it's there and I really want to know how loud it is, as the one that is on our current oven is really loud. So is yours the Renaissance, and is it loud when the oven is on? Ditto for your friend? Thank you!

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

My range is the "Distinctive" line. It does not have the fancy digital display. The fan isn't noisy at all. There is also the convection fan which is not too noisy. My friend sometimes has all three going at once, as she will bake 50 pies on one day, and doesn't feel like the Dacor is noisy. It's best to talk to your dealer about your concerns, but I can tell you that if it was noisy, it would be a problem for me due to our open concept design.

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

By the way... Turing the convection fan is optional. I use it when I'm baking to enhance even heating.

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

One more thing... Many dealers have a demo night, where they actually use the range and demonstrate how to use it. Our dealer did. Check your dealer to see if they have something like that :)

• PRO
    Kustom Home Design
    hace 8 años

You did a beautiful job! This just goes to show how useful Houzz can be to homeowners looking for inspiration.

• sarahmlee44
    hace 8 años

Thanks, reneg62. Ours is not the fancy digital display either ... and sadly, I've called/stopped by many shops in the area but none of them have this model "live." They only have the big fancy ipad-enabled ones live to try out. So I have to go on my gut. But this is helpful to know! Glad to hear you and your friend both don't think they are noisy. Thanks again for all your insight... and nice job again on the reno! What a change!

• wayno16
    hace 8 años

Beautiful job, reneg62. We are a month away from moving into our next house and starting our kitchen reno. For budget reasons, we too are probably going with laminate over porcelain wood-grain flooring. You said you used a higher-end laminate - which one did you use? How thick? Did you add soundproofing underlayment? I'm still pretty nervous about going with the laminate. We like the graphics on the Mohawk 7 mm. laminate we're leaning to heavily, but we're not positive of its quality/durability.

• wayno16
    hace 8 años

So, what is the American-made laminate you selected? And how many mm thick is it?

• nikawareham
    hace 8 años

This is beautiful! Love the pops of green too!

reneg62 agradeció a nikawareham
  • reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The laminate flooring is from Mannington's Restoration Collection. The color/style is called Arcadia Firewood. Here is a link to the specks and details. It's a pretty awesome product!
    http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Laminate/Restoration%20Collection/Arcadia/22311.aspx

• wayno16
    hace 8 años

Thanks Reneg62. I will have to check that out. It looks somewhat similar to the laminate that we've been leaning toward ordering, which is a Mohawk laminate called Canyon Echo Oak. Below is a photo of it. We want that somewhat distressed, multi-colored, aged barnwood kind of look, without being too rustic or pickled.

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I love it! Great choice! You will love it too. The distressed, woodpecker hole look hides a multitude of sins! Sometimes we get a little busy and before I know it, it's been over a week (or longer) before we are able to dust mop. When we finally do, we are amazed at how much dirt has been hiding on our floor. Even when it's bad, it does not look bad :) I've mention in an earlier post that the Bona Laminate cleaning system is the way to go. We use a large "old school" dust mop, then hit it with the Bona cleaner and mop. It always comes out looking like new.
  • Nicole
    hace 8 años
    I love it all...especially the pantry door. It all looks great, love the colors...
    reneg62 agradeció a Nicole
  • laurahj
    hace 8 años

Beautiful kitchen! Quick question, what is your ceiling height. Looking to purchase the same pendants, but unsure how they'll look with 8 foot ceilings. Thanks!

reneg62 agradeció a laurahj
  • reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you, laurahj. My ceiling is 8 feet, and the bottom of the pendants hangs 30.5 " from the ceiling.
  • reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

PS. I ordered the pendants directly from Kichler lighting in NY. They shipped quickly, and I got a great discount. Don't forget to get bulbs :)

• laurahj
    hace 8 años

what kind of bulbs did you order? (how many watts?) I like Edison Squirrel bulb, but want the bulb to be dimmable. Any suggestions on where to order or the type? Thanks!

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

I love the pantry area and gray cabinets! Very Nice!

reneg62 agradeció a User
  • Andrea Floss
    hace 8 años

Can you tell me where you purchased your white pantry doors? Beautiful kitchen! Thanks!

reneg62 agradeció a Andrea Floss
  • reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Andrea. We ordered the pantry doors from Lemieux Doors. They came unfinished and were painted. They have quite a selection of glass finishes for the panels too.

http://www.lemieuxdoors.com/en/french-door/

• reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi lauraj

I purchased the bulbs from Kichler lighting. They look great and are dimmable. The website is great because you can ask questions and service reps get right back to you.

http://www.lightingnewyork.com/product/kichler-lighting-light-bulbs-light-bulbs-4071clr.html#gene

• PRO
    US MLF
    hace 8 años

So cute!

reneg62 agradeció a US MLF
  • Nicole
    hace 8 años
    I am drooling over the pantry doors. The whole project is truly gorgeous. What a great project.
    reneg62 agradeció a Nicole
  • PRO
    Amy Wolff Interiors
    hace 8 años

Nicely done!

• Danielle S
    hace 7 años

Very nice. Are those Kichler lights clear or seeded glass? I am debating between the clear or seeded and have heard the difficulties of keeping the clear glass clean.

reneg62 agradeció a Danielle S
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    hace 7 años

nice!

reneg62 agradeció a Joni Koenig Interiors
  • reneg62
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you Danielle Sopko. I like the seeded glass personally, but the clear glass would be very pretty too. I don't think you can really go wrong. As for keeping them clean, it just takes a few minutes. I only clean mine about once every two months. Hope that helps.
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    hace 7 años

Very nice transformation! Love the open floor!

reneg62 agradeció a Stecki Construction
  • bonita14
    hace 7 años

What a beautiful, well thought out space! I wish you many happy years of enjoyment!

reneg62 agradeció a bonita14
  • PRO
    Pacific Coast Custom Design
    hace 7 años

Wow, beautiful! Great job!

reneg62 agradeció a Pacific Coast Custom Design
  • Ashley Goose
    hace 7 años

Looks absolutely stunning!!! love how bright it became. Great job!

• PRO
    GOODFELLAS CONSTRUCTION
    hace 7 años

Gorgeous transformation! We are loving it

• PRO
    ERT Architects, Inc
    hace 7 años

Beautiful space!

• cathy2003
    hace 7 años
    We remodeled our kitchen 10 yrs ago but removed the wall between dining room and kitchen a few years ago. After much researching decided to go with laminate as we have an active dog and high traffic area. I love it. We get lots of sunlight in our home and I never worry about fading, the dog , or scratches. Our laminate has a wax sealer between the boards so water is not a big issue.
  • PRO
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.