Houzz Logo Print
deemmcc

Need help with new sitting

deemmcc
hace 9 años
Need help
With finishing touches in this sitting room off our kitchen , especially the large blank wall... any suggestions would be most helpful...Thanks, Dee

Comentarios (93)

• sonic07
    hace 9 años
    Move pattern chairs side by side facing tv and put rectangle table between them. This will help make the space feel more balanced, open and inviting.
  • lilyanddaisy
    hace 9 años
    Suggest a large mirror or set of mirrors that complement the large window on the right.
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

Need help on new coverings for chairs and banquet seating .

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hello Janice. I understand you already own the furniture and you wish to reupholster them or dress them, is it correct? Could you send us a picture of your space, so we can give more accurate ideas? Thanks :)
    ...Ver más

Foyer needing help!

Q

(3) comentarios
    Hi Cristina, your table looks very beautiful however I discourage to have such furniture at home because of the mirrors. I work as a feng shui consultant and I know that the mirrors have some kind of power and one should be very carful placing them in the house. My personal opinion is to have a mirror in the place where the mirror can´t see you while you are resting or sleeping because in long term it can have negative influence on you. The mirror was created to look at it and it shouldn´t be used extensively also because of the reflections of the light. The human eye naturally is used to see the light coming from certain directions, if it comes from the direction which is not used to the light, especially artificial one, it may effect your vision or have negative influence on your mood. I'm talking about something very subtle which sometimes may be felt after some time. Another thing is that I always encourage people to don´t use repetitive patterns in the house just simple irregular forms and calm and worm colours which make the space more cozy and more natural. If you need more help with the rest of your house please let me know. I could make a 3d visualisation of your place to shaw the layout. Best \Marcin
    ...Ver más

HELP - contractor totalled quote incorrectly, now says owe +10,000

Q

(5) comentarios
    @Cruca : Thank you for responding We both signed the original AND a mid-renovations updated contract, and both totalled 40.000. However, at the very end, he recognised an error on the final total, and explained that if I add up all the individual items, it totals 50.000. I understand, but he knew my budget was 40.000, and now because the work is finished, I can't even remove or reduce any of the work. It just seems unfair, because everyone could say that all the time. I trusted my builder, and as it was a printed document, I assumed all his calculations were correct!
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más
  • lenkoskitalo
    hace 9 años

Try painting the wall blue (but a somewhat lighter shade) to echo the blue chairs; and place the two blue chairs so they face wall. It's too bad flat screen TVs aren't lighter in colour or disguised by art when not in use.

• Robin Shelley
    hace 9 años

Try the patterned chairs on either side of the TV & the blue chairs side by side facing the TV straight on with one of the smaller tables in between. Maybe individual ottomans for two chairs which can be moved around. I like the idea of a multiple picture arrangement on the large wall.

hace 9 años

You have so many helpful comments to guide you but I would love to add one that I just learnt helping my daughter with her newly purchased first house. We visited a Benjamin Moore paint store/decorating service and they shared with us their primary decorating tip...you can't just pick colours you love but must have ONE piece of either fabric/wallpaper/pillows or carpet etc. that ties All the pieces together. She showed us a piece of fabric that tied all the colours my daughter wanted...from that you pick the paint colour, the carpet colour, colour of your frames, wood tones etc...basically remember something has to be the Anchor of your room colour choices. This one tips helps take out the guest work...we just kept looking to our anchor piece to blend the choices together. Wishing you a happy Home!

• Rosemary Freitas
    hace 9 años

0741 is spot on. too many americans can't quite figure out why their rooms don't work. Make sure you have that piece that pulls all the colors in the room together. For my 2 cents, i would do an accent wall. Either large art or if you do an art wall work in some larger pieces. I am seeing people do art walls with multiple frames but they aren't going large enough with the individual pieces.

• blut01
    hace 9 años

0741 could you explain that with maybe a picture. What do you mean by anchor piece. A certain color that is in multi pieces. If I could understand this it would sure help me, Iam the worse decorator ever.

• 75patricia
    hace 9 años
    Nice chairs, but too many. First, I realize you are not finished and that always makes a difference in the end result. I'm not sure you need so many chairs. A 'small' sectional & 2 chairs would be nice. The foot stool is too dark and too large and too heavy ...becoming the focal point. A square class coffee table with metal legs which could be off white or a dappled blue, if you keep the blue chairs.. or off white painted like the TV console. Don't forget about your off-white wooden shutters. I would try the blue chairs side-by-side backing to kitchen, as I feel too much brown there the way it is now. Paisley chairs near TV console and pulled away from the corners. They would blend in little more with console. TV should be lowered as it seems to be floating. No scarf! Change plant to green low spreading.. keep photos.. Get rid of birdcage - perhaps use it on a lower, lighter color table next to moved blue chair by wall. Move rug few inches away from console. Chairs do not have to have all 4 legs on carpet. U need a standing reading lamp. perhaps between the (when moved) blue chairs. I would think about painting wall accent color even a dark brown and you need a focal point. I see a large painting with two smaller ones to each side of that. Remember not to hang it too high. U need to tie things together not be having everything floating around looking for place to land. We all need tables to sit coffee, books, etc and a lamp for reading next to our chairs... just not too many. ..Balance...
    Your kitchen window looks bare now, but that is because you have nothing to counter balance on familyroom wall. Best of luck. Remember we all have our own views of what we like and can live with. Just go for it!
  • 75patricia
    hace 9 años
    Just an idea how adding a focal point looks. we are still looking for small one for each side. Takes time.
  • PRO
    North Shore Closets & Cabinetry
    hace 9 años

North Shore Closets & Cabinetry located in Deer Park can help design cabinetry for this area to meet your needs and specifications. Feel free to check out our page on Houzz. You can also visit us on our website at www.northshoreclosets.net.

Contact us to set up an appointment for a free design consultation.

• colournut
    hace 9 años
    Have you considered putting your gorgeous twin chairs side by side facing the other gorgeous twin chairs, perpendicular to the TV wall? It can be an amazing look that is conducive to conversations. A nice table between (as recommended in an earlier post) for all to use creates a clutter free but cozy venue.
  • leelee
    hace 9 años

This poster has never checked back in.

deemmcc agradeció a leelee
  • colournut
    hace 9 años
    You may also want a smaller area rug ... to bring a more centred, cozy feel to the area. Chair legs can be completely off the rug or place just the front legs on the rug. Make sure you love your furniture arrangement before you decide on your wall decor. I definitely feel a substantial art piece would enhance your look more than a collection of smaller items.
  • colournut
    hace 9 años
    Awe leelee ... u r right. Hope she is appreciating the posts. Would like to think she will get back to us ... On to another post ... or not, right?
    deemmcc agradeció a colournut
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    hace 9 años

WALLPAPER the walls in the sitting room area. Select a pattern that incorporates the colors of your existing furniture to tie the pieces together. Add toss pillows in solids and patterns that also have similar colors. Make sure the pillows have some texture like tibetan lamb, embroidered, animal hides, etc. A large bouquet of fresh flowers creates and warm, romantic, and inviting atomosphere.

hace 9 años

To blut01 ...I just noticed your question and this is just the first picture I grabbed and hope you can see the colours in the photo...(attached at bottom) use one "object" with your favorate colours. We have 2 rooms where this photo will work, our family room has a burgundy sectional and our living room has a black leather couch. Presently it is in the room with the black leather couch. We are re-decorating this room with a newly painted walls; we've rehung the photo and we are pulling new colours out of the picture for a new look. Using this picture we began by changing out lamp shades from grey to two matching blacks, on our sofa table we used the same shade of red in the picture for a long stem rose, and a red lamp lamp (nice glow in the late evenings). We also added accent pillows, curtains all the the colours in the picture. All the pictures in the room have black frames so they're uniform. This room went from a dark green to revere pewter by Benjamin Moore. We didn't have to go out and buy a whole lot of new things because all the colour we need for a new look are still being inspired by the photo ...so we can use orange or red or blue and even white for your accessories etc...we can switch out the flower arrangement or keep it because it still all matches...all the photo frames are the same colour so it works to. As we needed a change, we keep pulling our source of colour choices from the picture to accessorize the room and give it a new look without throwing out the furniture we have but giving it a brand new look because our picture/anchor inspires it. Anyone can swap out one "main"colour for another colour. Your source of inspiration can come from a picture/ pillows/ wall paper/ fabric-pattern chair etc. as long as you keep your focus on the "Inspiration Piece". Years ago I made a very large wall hanging for our bedroom and decorated around that piece and every time we went into our bedroom we felt like we checked in to an expensive hotel...just find that piece of passion that speaks to you...be the best original You and not a copy cat in life. What also helps is to keep to the rule of using the odd number of 3, 5, and 7 for adding the colours etc. ...3 and 5 works best and 7 gets busy...example: black/reds/ and shades white /blue /green or orange...those are the colours shown in the photo; we pick 3 strong colours and then add 2 accent colours to equal five. You will find that when you pick ONE colour and start accessorizing with it that colour now pops out of your focal point and everything comes together...take you time and fill your room with things that make you smile.

When our host asked for help with her room, my first question to myself was I just couldn't tell what she loved for there was no true repeating colour theme. Every piece was a different colour and I felt the pieces existed but not loved...for me this picture is special because when I turned 30 my husband went out and rented a tuxedo, bought me a dozen long stem red roses came home dressed up and rang our door bell. He stood there in the cold with a tuxedo on and roses in hand asking me out on a date to help me break "easy" into my 30th year...I stood there crying...it is still a breath taking moment to me...even through we had the worst winter snow storm that day He would not postpone my birthday date it. The city was closing down; we ended up having the restaurant to ourselves...that picture reminds me of his love and overflowing attention on me...just me. Visitors may not see what I see in this picture but believe me when I am an old,old lady that picture will always make me smile...that picture is loved! MG

• deemmcc
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

leelee & colornut....Response to your posting....Not sure what to say...Thanks for all the responses but I found this experience disconcerting especially when these furniture pieces were all just purchased and all I was asking was help with the bare wall. The suggestions were well taken and good ones but the negative ones were very disappointing !! Don't think I will be positing ever again, just wasn't a positive experience for me

• vivid50
    hace 9 años

to deemmcc - just happened to get on the computer and was wondering how you got so many suggestions!!!!!! (when i needed some suggestions, only two friends came over!!) maybe some sounded negative, but were meant well? so sorry it wasn't positive, but perhaps read through them, note positive thoughts that appeal to you. then using what you have, go from there, and have fun!

• colournut
    hace 9 años
    Oh Dee ... I feel bad ... that can't be any fun at all. Your room is beautiful! The chairs will welcome family and friends for many years.
    How wonderful that you stepped out of the typical sofa style arrangement. We just moved and decided to dump the sofa to the lower level TV room and have 4 chairs arranged like u do. Everyone finds it very comfortable and the conversations flow easily. We can easily grab an occasional chair or 2 to add to the circle and the grandkids love to sit on the ottoman in the centre or we grab footstools for them to be part of the circle. The room is always full of love and joy with this arrangement and we are VERY happy we went this route.
    I'm sure if I posted my pics the houzz member decorating enthusiasts would re-arrange, add and omit what I LOVE about my space.
    Bottom line is to do what you want, trust your instincts and ENJOY every moment in your beautiful home.
    With big, warm hugs,
    colournut (aka Donna)
  • leelee
    hace 9 años

Sorry to hear that. Seems like those who stick with the (more reasonable) suggestions and try some advice get more of outcome they'd hoped for. Often on Houzz those offering advice will see things they feel are at least as much of an issue as the actual question. It's very hard to see your own home objectively--you're so used to seeing it everyday.

You have a very nice home and obviously good quality furniture. You're on the right track. Try some different ideas and see what you like. Good luck to you.

• catherine
    hace 9 años
    Hi. You could pair the two Paisley chairs facing the TV very tightly next to each other and put a side table on each exterior side, then put the two blue chairs facing each other across the room, not facing the TV, to make a more "square" formation. The ottoman would be good, as previously suggested, with a large tray on it. Personally, I am not sure about the little table with the lamp on it. I find it visually too high. The TV sideboard is slightly too busy and distracts visually. On the far blank wall: you could find prints of the same size and make a gallery of about 9 medium to large sized ones. Try to respect the colour scheme of blue or that tone in the Paisley chairs to tie it all together, if not, then make the frames' color the same as a color you picked in the chairs.
    I hope this helps? Good luck! Would love to see what you ended up doing..
  • deemmcc
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

To everyone....I have cleaned up the console table and we are not moving the TV, since that was installed by a professional and is the correct height for our family, the wooden table has been returned, the ottman is staying cause we LOVE IT and there is a tray we use on it but not included in the picture. There was a sofa in that room against that large wall and it was too over powering, so we went with the four chair set up and we LOVE IT.....Not so sure how I was able to get so many responses on this dilemnia but trust me VIVID50 that were not very complimentary and we came away feeling that our whole room was a decorators mess !! Good luck to all....PS....don't think I will be posting more pics cause there will be someone out there that hates it....Guess thats why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream....to each his own. Happy Decorating and do with YOU LIKE AND LOVE...

• segur
    hace 9 años

Deemmcc, you go girl and do your own thing. Please don't stay away, let us know how you finish the room. Here's the thing if all of us who commented posted a pix of one of our rooms you and many others would gasp with the words "I don't believe they did that"! So laugh at those of us who think we know better and enjoy your personal style. On a personal note I am truly sorry if anything I said made you feel bad. It was not my intention.

• heartlander
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Hi Deemmcc! Your chairs are beautiful, and I like the idea of a chair for everyone. They have a clean transitional vibe, so you could follow their lead in accessorizing. That's a big wall, looooong. I would accentuate the vertical/break it up by doing 9 identical frames with identical (white!) matting and coordinating images -maybe soft abstracts in greys blues and taupes, in 3 rows of 3. Right in the middle of the wall. The wall can handle 16"X20" frames. If u live near an Ikea, u can get Ribba frames pretty cheap, and spray them any color u'd like. And do do do consider Jenny Sutton's suggestion to put the 2 patterned chairs side by side facing the TV, with one blue chair against the gallery wall, its mate across/opposite. Ottoman in front of the patterned chairs, and when u get caught up, search out a couple of matching clean-lined, square or round metallic based side tables to put on the "kitchen" side of each blue chair. I think that would look extremely balanced, "crisp up" the arrangement, and make the area look even more spacious. + every chair would then have a view of the TV. If u don't like the arrangement, at least w/chairs u can always easily move them back.

• pkozar
    hace 9 años
    I would get rid of the side tables and add a floor lamp and a picture with color on the blank wall . I would also add some throw pillows .
  • Delores
    hace 9 años
    deemmcc,

Through the years of living in and buying and selling several houses, I've observed it is often the case that what one owner considers the "best" thing about their house is the first thing the next owner tears out and changes. To each their own. Same with decorating. I like reading Houzz because of the differing perspectives, from both decorators accustomed to huge budgets, and the rest of us who are doing our projects for a tenth as much! I didn't detect a particular negative vibe about your space, but different perspectives of what they'd do if it was their project. Just winnow through the comments for things that make sense to you and ignore the rest, they weren't meant personally. My impression reading the comments is that two seem to be repeated most: alternate the chairs and use one large piece of art. The first is an easy experiment, and the second is what you asked about. Bottom line is if you walk into your space and it makes you happy, mission accomplished!
  • nama1013
    hace 9 años

You need to just follow your own heart when decorating your home. When I get in these binds I take a piece of paper and draw my room to scale. Then I cut out pieces that represent my furniture. I then move them around on the sheet in many configurations to see what I like best. I'd love to see what you end up with. If I didn't have my wall done I would have done this clock I attached. It adds fun, it's functional, and it's personal. Good luck!

• segur
    hace 9 años

Nana where did you find this clock pattern and saying? I want it.

• nama1013
    hace 9 años

Segur,

I found it on Pintrest. It's wonderful.. Isn't it. :)

• Irene Morresey
    hace 9 años
    Deemmcc, don't worry about some of the comments, you are doing very well, it's your own personal space and you have to live there, I hope the more positive comments outweigh the rude ones. Like you say we all have different taste, thank god, but there is a thing called finesse. You just post away and your room will look lovely, we are honored to be able to help
  • segur
    hace 9 años

Nana do you remember who's page you got it from on Pinterest? Maybe you could send it to my Pinterest page, just type in Susan Segur. I hope it works because I really think it's awesome.

• Debbie Watters
    hace 9 años
    Mix up the chairs...instead of matching either side
  • nama1013
    hace 9 años

Segur,

I couldn't figure out how to post on your Pintrest.

• segur
    hace 9 años

Nama thank you for making such an effort, I really appreciate it.

• Darzy
    hace 9 años

Dee...don't be disheartened with the comments. You have a lovely home and furnishings. Just the finishing touches (as you say) and minor tweaking and it will be just right. Many of us Houzzers have "designitis" and tend to nit pick every, little detail and tend to input personal design style preference into someone else's space.

I too, would be reluctant to post photos because I KNOW I'd have 100 comments on what I need to change. Admittedly, I may agree with many of the suggestions to change, but right or wrong, I'll keep things I want...like you! But, many posters who try things that are suggested love the results. (I don't mean the ones who say start over and buy new furniture!) :)

• rymea
    hace 9 años

Go to an art fair and buy a beautiful large piece of colorful original art for that wall. I would try to find something with unexpected color, like in 0741 post.

• ll249
    hace 9 años

I think your chars are pretty, don't cover them, but do separate them - print, solid, print, solid. The lamp on the side table is WAY too small. You need something more substantial. Avery pale blue on the wall might be pretty, plus some pillows in a print that uses the blue and the light brown. The ones from ARK Fabric would be great. I'd also clear off the little table below the TV and move the TV down to a more comfortable viewing height. I like some of the pictures people have shown, but TAKE YOUR TIME to find something you love and can live with rather than "a big piece of art" to fill an empty space.

• Marlene Judy
    hace 9 años
    Something just seems off with 4 chairs set against / around a round table. I would try putting two of the same color chairs against the blank wall - like u would a sofa. Put a small table between them. Frankly, I also think it is too much furniture for that space. A smaller scale coffee table in the middle might help if u want to keep all the chairs. The round ottoman in the middle just doesn't fit.
  • PRO
    Mystaya's Inspirations
    hace 9 años

You need:

1) large scale art work on the bare wall; a) large collection b) 2 med-lrg pcs c) 1 very large pc

2) a taller table lamp OR a floor lamp that hovers over the seating area; either will add height, weight & dimension

3) remove your out dated existing window treatments and install either A) more tailored & less fussy roman blind B) curtain rod and panels OR C) less fussy clean line valance

4) Remove one of the round tables, there are too many soft lines in your space; introduce a square or rectangular coffe table or end table

5) If you keep the round ottoman, place a square/rectangular tray on it to break up all of the curves...

6) It's VERY bland, you need to bring in more punch;

a)perhaps your choice of artwork will juice it up

b) introduce a throw or toss cushions; stay with more solid colors & textural cushions (less busy so they won't compete with the 2 patterned chairs)

c) your selection of window treatments can introduce color

d) large scale plant/planter in a corner may help add more color, life & vibrancy

• PRO
    Mystaya's Inspirations
    hace 9 años

One more thing, square off the placement of your chairs; the circular placement isn't working in your space. Place your matching sets together on each end. Example; put the 2 solid colored chairs in front of your future wall of art to be with toss cushions that will compliment your existing patterned chairs.

• Cindi Fuja
    hace 9 años
    Think about a very large wall cling of one of her photographs. They are quite stunning and not all that expensive.
  • organizedsarah
    hace 9 años

I don't think people spend their time giving suggestions to people on sites like this just to make them feel bad. I think everybody is trying to be helpful. You're not obligated to accept anybody's suggestions, but I think it's nice when you get a lot of variety in responses so you have a lot of things to consider in your decorating...things you might not have thought of on your own. I'm sorry you didn't like the responses and took them personally. I'm sure it took away the fun of sharing your photos.

• Darzy
    hace 9 años

organizedsarah...well...some people (very few) who give "advice" on Houzz sometimes do try to make people feel bad. But, you're right that it's mostly people trying to be helpful. We (the poster and commenters) try to ignore the mean and unhelpful comments.

deemmcc agradeció a Darzy
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años

wow, I am truly saddened by your response Dee, not only did plenty of people try to help I feel they all where not rude, but rather sometimes we only have time to say it short and sweet. and other times. things just pop into our minds and we write them. You have great things, and that is why you got so many responses we could all see its great. Sorry you had a bad experience, perhaps its not the place for you. hope you are having a great day.

• vivid50
    hace 9 años

hi - i agree. in fact, all along, couldn't believe the tons of people who took the time to offer their suggestions! sometime or other, if i send a picture in, hope i get half of those responses!!!!

• heartlander
    hace 9 años

Weeellllll......some ppl *are* a bit authoritarian in their anonymous approach to offering advice. Others, downright rude. I've noticed that quite a bit @ houzz and other sites where free advice is solicited. Power tripping?

deemmcc agradeció a heartlander
  • deemmcc
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

An example of RUDENESS.....

There's something about the way the 4 chairs are facing each other that makes me laugh--as if they're reaching for their holsters to have a gunfight! Maybe dividing them up, or putting in a bigger coffee table, add side tables, IDK, something to break the "shoot out at the OK Corral" look!

• PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años

thats, not rude? that's a funny opinion! they could have said, the four chairs look stupid..that would be rude.

• jkstick
    hace 9 años
    This space looks overburdened with furniture. Do you need and/or use all four chairs? Also, the TV seems placed too high. I would either lower it quite a bit and edit the things on the top of the cabinet or, if possible, set the TV on the cabinet. I am not sure how large this space is, but if large enough, I would put two or three matching light-colored bookcases on the blank wall. Ones that look built in would be great. It could be a hutch-style with doors at the bottom and shelving on the top for books and colorful "pretties.". I would put matching chairs in front of this. Or buy art work incorporating your colors, but don't put up a lot of little pictures. Keep it simple, but be bold with the size and color.

I would then put the other pair of chairs facing the TV with a light-looking (wrought iron or some kind of metal?) small table between them. The room needs to be lightened . . it has heavy furniture and heavy-looking side tables and coffee table. In addition, the lamp between the chairs looks lost and is WAY undersized for the area. Invest in a 3-way reading lamp to incorporate in this space.
  • Cheryl Smith
    hace 9 años

deemmcc,

I hope you haven't stopped reading these posts. some people just like to disagree and everyones tastes are different. if you brought in a designer and spent a ton of money they would still find something wrong. skim over the ones you don't like but read them all. Ive picked up a lot of ideas I hadn't thought of by reading other peoples posts.

one of those ideas is to ditch the couch. everyone that comes to my house goes to a chair first and only use the couch if there is no other choice. you have done what I'm hoping to do in my own living room / dinning room / kitchen. my husband and I are retired, live in a small house built in the '50s and don't do much entertaining. his favorite chair is a recliner that should have been replaced years ago and I use the couch (that basically gets worn on the side you sit on. I plan on getting 2 very nice leather power recliners facing the TV for us and 2 print swivel chairs that can be turned to the fireplace and watch TV or towards the room for conversation. I'm sure if I posted that not too many people would agree with my choice, but its what really would work better for our situation. if more than 4 chairs are needed, the dining room shares the same space.

as far as your original question, I'd bring in a nice large landscape for that bare wall. it would tie in the blues of your chairs and browns from the other chairs. I would lean towards more modern, abstract than traditional. Ive seen some very nice ones at World Market and Pier One for not too much money.

don't be discouraged. it is your room. bring in only what you love and you will love the room.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.