Houzz Logo Print
missidave

Screens or No Screens?

Missi Smith Design Co.
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años

Do you have screens on your windows? Why or why not? Most of the houses I see on Houzz look like they don't have window screens even when the windows are open. I know some people don't like the look of them or that it makes the windows look too dark, but what about bugs and a nice cool breeze?

Yes to Screens
No to Screens

Comentarios (99)

• dbh
    hace 9 años

Hey Sharon,

Thanks. I find that so fascinating. I have no idea what happened, then, to the retractable screen idea (unless you see a lot of them in older homes where you are). Our casements (only 6 years old) are the lever kind (not crank), where you turn the lever and just push the window open. The screen is pulled down from top. But, really, if I could afford it, I would have them throughout. Anyone who comes into our house-- they comment, because they've never seen them before either.

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a dbh
  • Christiane
    hace 9 años

I had a new door put into my kitchen this past year, and the door has a nice window in it and that window has the blinds built in between the two panes of glass, which is great because my dogs like to mess up blinds, so I can close them when it is hot and I don't want the sun coming in, but most of the time I leave it up because I like the more light it gives. Got the door at Lowe's. Wish they had the same thing with screens, or are there companies that have windows with screens like that.

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Christiane
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

Toldos en plurifamiliar: Screen o Lona Acrilica???

Q

(4) comentarios
    El screen,si incorpora fibra de vidrio es un buen aislante térmico, otra cosa es que se limpia facilmente,y al tener pequeños orificios en su trama el calor no se acumula debajo del toldo y permite que este salga,cosa que en los de tela no se consigue esto,en cambio por mi experiencia el efecto es de más claridad en la estancia que se ponga.Hay que prestar mucha atención al grado de apertura del screen y a su composición con o sin fibra de vidrio.
    ...Ver más

estor screen de qué color?

Q

(2) comentarios
    Hola LEYRE: Tu problema tiene fácil solución, gracias a las sombras. Te has preparado un ambiente estilo MOSCU, o también Tanatorio.. Si el estor es de varillas, se quedará con aspecto de listas horizontales y comprobarás que las rayas que producen sus varillas opacas, te regalan el color antracita que lo integra. Si quieres gozarlo en toda su plenitud, lee el breve libro de El elogio de la sombra, pero no te prives de los colores, que son muy alimenticios, para la raza humana. Lo que te he dicho, funciona cuando hay luz fuera. Si quieres una solución permanente y el estor es a medida, manda coserle una cinta ancha que lo recuadre, en color gris y se verá a juego del resto.
    ...Ver más

Solar Screen

Q

(0) comentarios
    Solar screen Free Estimates ☎️305-699-5589 www.artecblinds.com @artecblinds #blinds #windowtreatments #interiordesign #homedesign #homedecor #homestudio #homedecoration #housedesign #design #decor #luxurylifestyle #luxuryhomes #innovation #remodel #brickell #miamibeach #realestate #generalcontractor #apartmentdecor #windows #windowdesign #love #instagood #luxury #lifestyle #life #myhome
    ...Ver más

Solar Screen

Q

(0) comentarios
    Solar Screen, They are the decorative element par excellence for modern environments and are highly practical, versatile and elegant. 305-699-5589 Call Now www.artecblinds.com @artecblinds #blinds #interiordesign #brickell #brickelliving #interiors #interior_design #interior_delux #interiordesigner #dreamhome #dreamhouse #myhome #myhouse #luxury #luxurylifestyle #luxuryhomes #luxurydesign #interiorinspiration #interiorideas #homedecor #homedesign #homedesign #modermhouse #modermhome #renovation #aventura #livingroom #windowtreatments #realestate
    ...Ver más
  • runswithpoodles
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

I had some work done on my house in the summer, the last of a big remodel. I was living in the house at the end and the contractors tended to leave the front door open. When I came home after work, I had to spend an hour or so tracking down flies that were so numerous I couldn't cook without being dive-bombed. Not having a fly-swatter the first couple day this happened, I used a damp dishrag to swat the flies. My dogs hid in the laundry room every time I picked up a dishrag as it scared them to see hear the sharp crack when I slapped the rag on the quartz countertop. The last straw for them was me taking great leaps down the hallway as I swatted at flies on the ceiling. They have recovered now, but the Poodles are all for screens!

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a runswithpoodles
  • bungalowmo
    hace 9 años

I not only have them on my windows, I have an insert for my storm door as well. 8 lite insert for winter/colder months....

That glass insert has been fully restored with panes removed, paint removed, fully sanded, primed, reglazed & painted SW Caviar, just like the screen below. The glass pic was also before I added the stained glass stuff on the sidelights & front door.

Gotta have my fresh air!!!

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a bungalowmo
  • sonocontenta
    hace 9 años

I am one of those that don't like the darkened interruption of screens, especially since I live in an historic row house...but screens are a MUST so we have always used those dorky but ever so prevalent slider screens you buy at your hardware that adjust to various window sizes. Yup. It IS a pain in the neck but then, I also go a little goofy when the blinds are not all set at the same level (preferable DOWN and opened to slot in the same direction. Sad but true. BUT I am willing to put my money, er time, where my 'mouth' is and do what's necessary to keep the 'look'. !

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a sonocontenta
  • sueroberts
    hace 9 años

Screens are a must have in New England in spring, summer and fall.

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a sueroberts
  • boyersuz
    hace 9 años
    The summer before the Vancouver Olympics, we did a BC vacation. In Victoria, we stayed at the Fairmont Empress on the Gold Floor, which has a lounge where you can enjoy breakfast and predinner hors d'oevres( for a price of course) as well as your own concierge. As they were showing us the amenities in the lounge, they was a black squirrel eating an apple from the fruit bowl.. They dont use screens in Victoria, no bugs.The concierge chased him away but later we found out the squirrel returned, using one of those heatproof gloves from the kitchen, the concierge thought he could grab the squirrel and contain him and remove him to a location far from the Empress. The squirrel bit thru the mesh glove, requiring a visit to the ER and a series of rabies shots. The concierge hurled the squirrel thru the fourth floor window, only to have hime return to the fruit bowl 10 minutes later. I have a great respect for screens!!
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a boyersuz
  • Tammy Smith
    hace 9 años
    Gotta have screens here (sacramento, ca metro area), or never open the windows. Wish I could get away without them though....
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Tammy Smith
  • PRO
    Texas Home Plans
    hace 9 años

i dislike the look of screens; however, living in south/central Texas, we use solar screens to reduce heat infiltration. they work and look awful.

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Texas Home Plans
  • bungalowmo
    hace 9 años

@viperdude: "I live in the country (lots of bugs), and in a house with an invention called "air-conditioning".
    Why would you need to open the windows?"

I would never consider using A/C over fresh air when the temperature allows for it.

That would be an insane electric bill for me... I have better things to spend my money on!

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a bungalowmo
  • Sheila Ford
    hace 9 años
    Wow; such interesting And hilarious comments. I live in the Deep South. There are a few precious days in Spring and Fall that I can actually leave the windows open. Otherwise it is too hot or too cold. I do detest the obstruction of light from the screens. Maybe after reading all the comments I'll decide to place them on, take them off; place them on, take them off.......
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Sheila Ford
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años

Yes to Screens but in the professional photo shot of a completed room, we try to take the screens off to get a clear picture of any views or exterior areas to make the photo even more beautiful. But for everyday...l love the screens!

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • Gloria H.
    hace 9 años
    Model houses don't have screens to showcase the windows or to enhance the views. Screens need to be stored carefully or you need room to store them to avoid damage (hence the buyers were smart enough to say put all of the screens in--many got damaged just being stored). My window cleaner said that screens actually cause windows to get dirty quicker as dirt and dust get stuck between the glass and screen. I am too lazy to take mine off in our house and besides we don't have much of a view anymore. So they stay in all seasons.
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Gloria H.
  • Marissa Wallace
    hace 9 años
    Have to have screens here in the Bahamas! Too much bugs and critters (bees, mosquitos, wasps, moths, centipedes, spiders, geckos, frogs, snakes) outside to risk it. I just wish there was a screen that could keep out sandflies. I think they are called 'no see ums'. Their bite is worse than a mosquito's to me.
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Marissa Wallace
  • tliv1965
    hace 9 años

I don't know what kind of screens are affecting people's view. Mosquitoes make screens necessary for us in the summer, but we leave them up all year and we don't even notice them. There have likely been improvements in screen manufacturing that make them less visible. Yes to screens.

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a tliv1965
  • evidencebased
    hace 9 años

we don't have screens on some view windows, but they are a must-have for most windows. we don't have so many bugs here but even one mosquito can ruin a night's sleep.

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a evidencebased
  • karinmmason
    hace 9 años

instead of designing a better mousetrap it would be great if someone came up with a screen alternative, maybe an electric forcefield

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a karinmmason
  • Mariette Thompson
    hace 9 años
    We never open our windows. In Florida it's either too hot or to humid. Besides the dusty outside gets into everything in the house. All A/C for me.
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Mariette Thompson
  • yesican123
    hace 9 años
    I live in south Louisiana where the mosquitoes are more like small birds… A definite big yes two window screens :-)
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a yesican123
  • munkie
    hace 9 años

Well, while I like not having screens because of the clear view, I sort of need them for insect control, although it's not all that bad. My situation is this: I have Anderson casement windows. Wanted nice indoor blinds for them. Budget Blinds came to measure in the winter when I didn't have my screens in. I wanted the blinds to fit inside the window frame so as not to cover up my nice wood window frames. Blinds were installed, all looks beautiful. Until, spring when I went to place my screens again. They won't fit because they are hitting the bracket/frame for the blind at the top of the window that houses the pulley, etc. Budget Blinds couldn't come up with a solution. Said there's just not enough room. But, I love my blinds, so I simply go without screens. After hearing about the retractable screens from Kolbe Kolbe, I'm wondering if Anderson makes anything that may help. My windows are only 5 years old, so new windows are not an option. I don't want permanent screens though...would rather go without! Thoughts??

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a munkie
  • judyschultze
    hace 9 años

Screens are a must but we installed vanishing screens that disappear into a coil when not in use. Rid of the dilema.

Sorry, Don,t know how to get rid of bad picture, trying to show the coil.

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a judyschultze
  • Raquel Schneiderman
    hace 9 años
    Avoiding bug bites, particularly at night when many come out to feed, is worth the sacrifice of losing a bit of light.

I have screens on only 10 out of my 20 window panes. This way I always have some unobstructed views. When I want fresh air, I only open the windows with the screens. This mix has worked well for me.
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Raquel Schneiderman
  • karens907
    hace 9 años

Screens that are on the inside of the house are much easier to keep clean!

Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a karens907
  • wluckeroth
    hace 9 años
    Screens obstruct the view; therefore, I prefer screenless picture windows where the view is essential. However, I enjoy a breeze so I put screens on Miami-style glass security doors & windows because we have mosquitoes in the tropics. I have removed several of the floor to ceiling door screens for two reasons: view obstruction, and our dogs destroy them with their nails. I sacrifice a little breeze to regain a better view, and enjoy my dogs & vice versa. I agree that aesthetics must be balanced with health concerns.
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a wluckeroth
  • talse
    hace 9 años
    Screens all the way. Live in Manitoba. Need I say more?
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a talse
  • Joan Pandolfo Rooney
    hace 9 años
    I live in the south with plenty of bugs and critters. That being said, we also enjoy maybe..MAYBE...two weeks of spring and fall. I never open my windows, but open my nine foot slider to the screened lanai when I want some fresh air.
    I took the screens down because they ATTRACTED bugs and lizards. The screens were disgusting to look at with lizards clinging to them, huge webs ready to ensnare unsuspecting bugs, and literally all kinds of creatures on them, dead and alive
    Missi Smith Design Co. agradeció a Joan Pandolfo Rooney
  • mkhodges
    hace 9 años
    I much prefer the clearer view without screens. We live in the South with little opportunity to have open windows anyway. But I do find a couple out of the way windows that screens are on for those rare times to enjoy fresh air.
  • mkhodges
    hace 9 años
    Joan....I didn't see your comment before posting mine.....but we agree.....similar situations.
  • culpepperjb
    hace 9 años

I live half a block from the beach in Puerto Vallarta and I removed the screens to enjoy the view. There are no insects or mosquitoes coming in the windows so it is perfect without screens.

• cheryldinva
    hace 9 años
    You get a better view out of your windows with screens off but if you want fresh air screens are a must.
  • rkatoch
    hace 9 años
    I have screens but don't like them much
    Because they accumulate dust on them
    And block the view
  • cydean
    hace 9 años
    Screens in Texas? Absolutely!
  • whynottryit
    hace 9 años

Yes to screens. Bugs out, kids in. No projectiles flying in or out of the windows.

• baggie2
    hace 8 años
    Absolute necessity in our area!! We have Pella casement windows which are original to the house which was built in the mid 60's. All the windows have pull down screens, but over the years they have become difficult to raise and lower. It seems the new ones are better designed since ours rely on small clips at the bottom to hold them down.
  • Sue
    hace 8 años

We don't have many mosquitoes in our area but a whole lot of flies instead! So yes, screens are a must. They're also essential for keeping out critters, birds, leaves, and anything else that moves around outdoors.

• abramsonka
    hace 8 años
    Don't have too many mosquitoes but hate flies in the house! So yes to screens.
  • Iloveittwo Iloveittwo
    hace 8 años
    I had the same thought about my new windows but being practical for everyday living "screens it is"!!! Not to mention that I have bugs n mosquitos galore.
  • bugsysmom717
    hace 8 años
    I prefer the bugs and birds stay outside - We've had a birds get in somehow - probably while carrying multiple things. It broke my heart knowing that he'd probably die of shock soon after we had got him out using a broom and a mop to scare him to the right direction. I've had a pet bird that died of shock several years after she was scared.

I'm a super fan of opening a window on opposite sides of the house to cause a breeze and live with the that instead of air conditioning for as long as possible.
  • bugsysmom717
    hace 8 años
    I prefer the bugs and birds stay outside - We've had a birds get in somehow - probably while carrying multiple things. It broke my heart knowing that he'd probably die of shock soon after we had got him out using a broom and a mop to scare him to the right direction. I've had a pet bird that died of shock several years after she was scared.

I'm a super fan of opening a window on opposite sides of the house to cause a breeze and live with the that instead of air conditioning for as long as possible.
  • beverlylorne
    hace 8 años

In Ontario Canada, you have to have screens on your windows and doors or you will be eaten alive by mosquitoes, black fly's etc.. not to mention earwigs, pine bugs, and so on that would make your home their home. We have an air conditioner, but only use it when it gets really hot. We prefer to open out windows and doors when we can for the nice breeze and fresh air. (so I have to dust almost every day, just a part of life). If you live in an area with no bugs good for you.

• Margaret Sapir
    hace 8 años

I have a house in Puerto Rico and need to use screens but would like to use the ones that you can scroll down. However, I understand that the salt water air can make them deteriorate very quickly. Any suggestions?

• rockets38
    hace 5 años

if one discounts the value of screens for your window such as keeping bugs out etc, and keeping windows cleaner, what is the general feeling as to whether they add to the look of the house or detract. I am thinking of buying solar screens . some people say screens are way out of date. thanks

• Najeebah
    hace 5 años

Rockets, they're intended more for function than aesthetics, of course, though you would find those that look appealing and those that look less so.

• stark52
    hace 5 años

From posts it seems many assume you are screening the entire window. Screens need only be applied on the windows you open. Each room in our home has one egress type window and each is screened. I would say it is very worth it and the majority of our lovely large windows remain unscreened hence minimal view impact. We live in Alaska where we have many mosquitos and spiders - with screens very few ever make it inside. We love to travel to UK and Ireland and the free and easy admittance for insects is a bit daunting as we like having windows open for fresh air. This year we spent a week in a charming and comfortable older cottage in St. Andrews but the continuous spider surprises were overwhelming. One with about a 2” leg span. I have decided for future trips we will bring our own packable screen with easy to apply and remove tape. One caveat though, if you are already infested with spiders the screens won’t get rid of those that have already taken up residence. Not sure if UK has any type of home spraying program but might be worth looking into.

• jacknlukesmom
    hace 5 años

We live in Minnesota - screens are a MUST due to the bugs - mosquitoes especially. So screens are on May - October just in case the humidity drops below 90% and we want the breeze blowing through the house. October is lovely here - sunny and cool with low humidity. Windows open with screens much of October. But the second November rolls around, I remove the screens as I think the house looks so much better from the street without them (I have large double hungs across the front), and also the view from inside is SO MUCH BRIGHTER during the winter when those screens are removed. It's a chore, but with the type of windows we have, it's an easy two-person job and we store the screens in the basement in the storage room when they're not on the windows. I wish I lived in a bug-free climate, but Minnesota is NOT!

• rockets38
    hace 5 años

we went ahead and bought solar screens that are bronze in color. They do look nice and in Texas we would tend to leave them up all year. thanks for the comments

• melcastle
    hace 5 años

I live in the Houston area. In my 35 years here I think there may have been 5 total days that there would be any chance of windows being open for the enjoyment of "fresh air". It is very hot and muggy almost all year and the a/c is almost always running. As soon as the heat is gone, it is replaced with temps too cold for open windows. The only time I ever open a window is when something burns on the stove and I need to air out the kitchen. Again, not even a once a year occurrence. Today is the first time it occurred to me that our ugly, dirty screens are basically useless. Off they go!

• Ryan Newman
    hace 3 años

I only screen the windows I open. I live in an old house so the temperature stays pretty regulated and most rooms have 3 or more windows. I take the screens out of the more visible windows and only open the windows with the screens left in. I've found it to be a good compromise - it definitely makes the rooms look better and still allows for fresh air.

• djtonyvito
    hace 3 años

I like to remove the screens on our CapeCod style house when fall begins; no more mosquitos and bugs flying around. Windows are cleaned and sparkling! We will occasionally open the window just a couple inches so our Pug won't jettison out running after any thing with 4 legs.

My daughter just purchased a Condo in Hoboken, NJ.. first floor.. Her windows were dirty, sills were dirty, screens were dirty and unsightly; the entire package looked dingy compared to her neighbor, also on the first floor. I suggest she take off the screens and get those windows sparkling. Being a single female and living on the first floor in Hoboken or any heavyily metro area is not the best idea anyway, so I think the windows should stay locked and not opened... EVER! I have included a photo of the building facade... her apartment is bottom left; notice the neighbors crystal clear windows on the bottom right... you can compare the "look." Same windows; one set clean without screens, the other dirty with screens.

• Tricia Anne
    hace 2 años

I moved into an apt where 1 (of a total of 3) windows does not have a screen. I put in a request to get a screen so I have a complete apt, since I'm paying for a complete apt, and they told me to try again in 3 weeks - they're busy, and this is cosmetic. Cut to me searching the web for whether screens are cosmetic or functional.....

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.