Houzz Logo Print
peter1142

Time for some early seed starting!

Peter1142
hace 9 años

Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start my Artichokes.. the rest not until March though.

Anyone else is starting seeds for the 2015 season?

Comentarios (16)

• CanadianLori
    hace 9 años

Started some Christmas day. More yesterday. Saturday I start leeks, and something every week after.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    hace 9 años

I'm really itching to start but waiting. In another month I'll be a busy guy! And loving it!

• digdirt2
    hace 9 años

Onions, leeks, petunias, and some perennials are the only things we have seeded so far in the greenhouses. It will be another month in this zone before we really get busy with seed starting. Starting many things too soon only creates problems down the line for us and for the plants.

Dave

• Peter1142
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

I ordered my onions and leeks from Dixondale. Waiting patiently on everything else. But I thought trying a few early chokes would be ok.. they need a ling time and can go out early. Who knows if I'll even get any.. the chokes are more an experiment than anything else.

• oldgardenguy_zone6
    hace 9 años

I started my yellow sweet onions today my leeks have been up for 2 weeks and trimmed the tops yesterday . It's hard to resist starting other stuff but it's to early. Making up some seed tapes this week with what seeds I have waiting for my order to come with the rest of what I'm planting this year.

• Peter1142
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

I'm tempted to try some indoor basil, for fun if nothing else... think I will get anything harvestable on a window sill with T5 seed starting grow lights?

• dentman
    hace 9 años

I started lots of annuals, scallions, chives and some herbs. mostly for fun as like everyone Im itching for spring. Im in 6a Pittsburgh

This post was edited by dentman on Mon, Feb 9, 15 at 8:13

• beesneeds
    hace 9 años

I've started asparagus seed and some of my earliest pepper because the darn things take so long. Been doing a lot of wintersowing. Started some indoor spinach, lettuce, and garden cress just because I am itching for spring too.

Still a week or few before I really start with more seeds.

• luvncannin
    hace 9 años

I have started cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, leeks, onions, marigolds, cilantro, basil 3 kinds, kohlrabi, thyme, and an herb mix with 6 different types in it. I have 11 flats and want to do 15 more this weekend of tomatoes peppers etc.

Kim

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    hace 9 años

Peter1142 the basil will do fine there! It is a great way to pass the winter.

It is far too early for most things here. I have onion, geranium, petunia, viola/pansy, strawberries and a few peppers started. Will do a few of the other slower growing next week then the rest the second week of March.

I can't wait for spring!!

SCG

• luvncannin
    hace 9 años

You mention trimming leeks. How tall do they need to be when you do that?

kim

• PRO
    Restoring our 1890 Victorian
    hace 9 años

Right now it's about the time I get itchy and want to start even though it's too early for me.

If you are starting inside, and haven't ever tried it, I use soil blocks. I’ve tried EVERY method, this is the one that’s worked best for me.

• oldgardenguy_zone6
    hace 9 años

luvcannin : I trim mine as soon as they look a little leggy about 2weeks after sprouting I have mine under a grow light w/timer

• luvncannin
    hace 9 años

Oh thank you. I heard of someone doing that before I had just forgot. My leeks are about 2 " and 1 week old. I will try this with some of mine.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    hace 9 años

Trimming leek seedlings so young seems to be a bit of a cultural thing. I've not heard of it being done at all by British gardeners and leeks seem to grow OK for us. There is a lively debate about trimming the tops and/or roots of leeks at transplant time but that is a different question.

It might be interesting to trim half and leave half and see if it makes any difference.

• oldgardenguy_zone6
    hace 9 años

I have done both ways and have had good luck either way , I read about doing it to make the plants be hardier .

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.