Houzz Logo Print
designerwannabe1122

OUTDATED RANCH...Help, please. What would you do??

What do you to update and help with resale?
Paint exterior white/creme?
Chop down large tree in front?
New front door?
I'd love to hear your first impressions. I know it needs work...just don't want to put time/$ into the wrong things! THANK YOU!

Comentarios (32)

• designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    *What would you do
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    first impressions.

-where is the front door.If I can see it, how can a buyer see it.
    - paint the beige siding clean white. all trim that is beige/white paint white.
    - the bush by what I assume must be the front door must be gone.
    - paint the garage door either black or white
    - either remove the shutters or paint them black.
    - is that grass dead? if so wither remove it or re-seed heavily.
    - paint the trim white. the roof color and the brick are not very harmonious so you must separate them with a white trim

[houzz=
    Kerth Residence · Más información
    ]
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 9 años
    Can you take a photo from the street? Its hard to really tell if the tree should be removed. Need to see tree with respect to your home.
  • handymam
    hace 9 años
    Honestly, the first thing that needs to go is that huge evergreen tree. It is merely large and old, but is blocking your house and making the yard look uncared for. If that is the first impression from the outside, some buyers will wonder what the inside looks like.
  • Marly
    hace 9 años
    Focus on landscaping. Remove the bush by door, and trim the other bushes. Add flowers like mums between the bushes. Replace that tiny lantern with a tall one nearer to your house.

I hope you don't paint it. I bought a 50s ranch as my first house, and it really irked me that the people selling it had painted a lovely traditional red brick home a beigey grey. The brick is part of your home's appeal. Feel free to paint the gable siding a more interesting color.
  • Marly
    hace 9 años
    Based on seeing a neighbor's house that also had a giant evergreen, I'd advise you to have a professional trim -- not remove -- the tree.
  • PRO
    Landscape St. Louis, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Hi; Read up on Cliff May homes and about the original inspiration of the ranch design albeit mid century . It's all about big windows and great views of the outdoors. Floor plans transition from indoor to outdoor living spaces easily. A brightly colored front door is a sign of welcome. The same concepts we all long for today in our homes. Good luck!
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Finstads c.o., WOW! Great tips thank you!
    I had not thought about painting the wood siding black. I will have to look into that. I was thinking about painting entire home white since the brick is an outdated looking color.

Yes, we do need landscape help haha! I think taking down the tree to see the front door is a good place to start. I will try to post a pic tomorrow if we are able to do so tomorrow. The photo was taken this week so the grass is dead from winter weather but even after we laid fresh sod 2 years ago it still has not done too well with all the shade coming from the trees.

Our house on the inside is actually pretty cute and that's why I want to work on the exterior since it does not reflect the renovations we have made to the interior.
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    sacapuntaslapioz,
    Thank you as well for the insight and first impressions! Our wood siding is a grey color right now so I had not thought about the trim being white.

When you are talking about the shutters, are you referring to the exterior ones or the ones you can see through the window? The exterior ones are black, interior ones are white.
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    sacapuntaslapioz,
    Also, we are going to try to sart by trimming the bush by the front door before we go full throttle and remove it :)
    I like the suggestion of painting garage door a different color too!
    Thanks for the inspiration link!
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Dar,

Here is a street shot!
    There are 4 large holly bushes in greenery on the ground which was probably a good move on the original's part since there is a steep hill before the road which you can't tell from in photos. Of course, there the big evergreen (i think that's what it is) and a magnolia almost on top of it. There's a med size dogwood that is lovely closer to the home but it's behind the evergreen in this photo
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    thanks handyman,

i think you're probably right! will add photos after we cut :) i just added a street shot too
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    please research the brick paint. the wrong paint will come off taking pieces of brick with it.. there is noting outdated about brick colors. brick is a classic, as as such always fresh, always classy.
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    marly,
    i too love red brick...i'm just not sure about the color of ours. don't you think it looks outdated?
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I would not cut that pine. it is a lovely tree that makes the landscape look mature the foundation bushes, however need a trim or to be relocated. also I was talking about the exterior shutter. I do have a thing about non-working shutters innapropiatey sized.
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    marly,
    what a fun idea about a tall lantern! if you happen to see any inspiration pics please send my way :)
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    landscape st louis,
    i'm getting different perspectives on cutting the evergreen. as a landscape pro, what would you say?
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    Before you cut down anything, I would paint and get that brick to look sharp. brick houses are traditionally painted with the red brick, white and black. It is classic and it is proven. Nothing classier or more traditional than a brick house. But the white needs to be white, not beiges, and the black needs to be black and glossy. Sometimes with some brick colors some ivory/beige can be used. I think yours will look sharper with back/white

[houzz=
    Kerth Residence · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Winnekta, IL Residence (B) · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Completed houses (exterior) · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Custom Homes- exteriors · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Exterior Remodels · Más información
    ]
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    sacapuntaslapioz

I looked at all of your pictures you sent, thank you so much. That really helps me to see what your referring to on the white and black trim. Very helpful.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    you are welcome
  • PRO
    Landscape St. Louis, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Hi, could we see photos of the property from across the street, straight on and a couple of angle shots? That way we can get a feel of the full property. It would also be helpful to get a flavor of the 'streetscape', by that we mean the general feel of the plantings in the neighborhood. Thanks.
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    We cut one of the large trees down. I'm not a tree-cutting-down person but I'm happy with the move as our house is getting much better light and now can be semi-seen from the road (where these pictures were taken from).
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    What should we do next? Remove the stump of course but that will have to be a weekend we can rent a grinder...
  • PRO
    Tri County Landscape
    hace 9 años
    first thing is get landscape under control.
    remove all yard art, pots, outdated landscape lighting. some times less is more.
    you need an inexpensive green hedge against house with 2 pockets on both side of walkway. use flowers in the pockets. it will add pop.
    remove over abundance of pine straw. present your house to the new buyer in a non cluttered fashion. keep it simple.
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    thank you, tri county!
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    tri county,
    we recently planted boxwoods along the house. do you still think a green hedge is better?
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    thinking of painting the house this summer white or creme...
  • designerwannabe1122
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    What do you all think of a plant like a Camilla growing up the brick between the two windows on the far left side? something like what's in this photo
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    I think you house looks better in red brick.
  • wyndyacre
    hace 9 años

I think the original brick colour is lovely and classic and that it would be a mistake to paint it. Paint on exterior brick can easily become a maintenance nightmare...I've seen many, many painted brick homes that immediately started peeling. And yours already looks great with classic black shutters.

I agree with many others here that the only thing you need to clean up and improve is the landscaping. If you've already removed the spruce tree and get the stump removed, you just need to rake and overseed your lawn as the weather improves, gentley prune some of the shrubs (don't go too wild though as mature shrubs are valuable to the landscape), clean up the beds around the house and add pockets of bright annuals. Spend the money you saved by not painting on a professional to deal with the lawn and pruning.

I hate seeing mature trees go but I think you were right in removing the spruce. Your magnolia, dogwoods (love those!!) and lawn will do much better now and your house looks nicer from the street without it. You have lots of beautiful, mature pines too, which is great!

Buy the LARGEST glazed pot you can afford to fill with more annuals for the front steps in a beautiful contrasting colour. Really fill it with bright flowers and greenery....make it impressively large and full to really show up and be proportional to the size of your house. It will be a bright welcome to your home and impressive at the front door.

• motupeg
    hace 9 años

I don't think that the brick is outdated. I agree with sacapunt to repaint the wood and then add landscaping and see how it brightens.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.