Houzz Logo Print
vincidm

Valance

Doreen
hace 9 años
I would like to keep my bedroom valances but would like to add silk panels to them. On the two side windows I would add one panel each and then drape it to the right and left. The real dilemma is what do I do with the middle windows?

Also, I was thinking of getting wood shades to match the mahogany furniture in the bedroom. The room is quite large and has wood floors. Do you think it would make the room to dark?

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 9 años
    Put the panels for the center window to pull back on each side of the large window just like the pic. No I think it will look good.
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Pat, I want to keep the valances. I was going to buy tension rods to put the panels on and insert them into the valances. I am not sure how the center window panels should hang.
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Do you have room to mount simple curtain rods under the center window's valance? If you do, install the curtain rods to hang the panels under the valance; one on each side of the large window and swag them back as Patricia suggested.
    Another option is to swag one panel on each side window and leave the center window panel less.
    Wood blinds will darken your room. I don't know what your panels look like, but if you're concerned about wood blinds being to dark, think about a white blind that matches your trim color.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    The room already looks pretty dark and the panels, if restricted by the valances, will have to cover a lot of the window rather than the wall between the windows. The tendency today is to hang panels wide so that they are mostly on the wall and just barely cover the side window frames when open. For more options check this article. http://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2011/05/03/the-right-way-to-hang-curtains-and-drapes/
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Gina there is room for curtain rods under the valances. I was going to swag the side windows and let the panels hang straight on the center windows.

I was thinking black silk panel. My bedroom is a huge room. I have a vanity, bed, chest of drawers and an entertainment center. As you can see from the photo I have full sofa and end tables.

I agree that wood blinds will be to dark. What color should the blinds be?
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Unfortunately the photo that I have posted is dark. The room is pretty bright during the day.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    I'm sorry I don't dislike what you are trying to do drapery panel-wise. I really dislike the idea of using black and particularly black silk. Use white wood blinds. You might consider using a black grosgrain ribbon trim around each panel, however I would go light on the body of the drape and the black for contrast trim.
  • Darzy
    hace 9 años
    I'm not feeling the black silk panels either. If you need a bit of privacy or a little light control, I'd opt for the woven wood blinds, but the color of the floor, instead of the dark mahogany color. Something like this...
    Breakfast Room · Más información
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    When I first started thinking about this project I was thinking gold tone panels. My bedspread and sofa are gold and I thought gold panels would be to much. My rug is black and taupe with a spot of burgundy. As I mentioned the room is huge and bright.
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Wow great idea!!!!!
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    hace 9 años
    I think the photo that At You Service posted is bang on what I was going to suggest. I wouldn't do the wood blinds with silk as I think they fight each other in terms of style. As for black I don't feel that would frame your view from the window very well, you seem to have a lovely property.
  • PRO
    At Your Service Custom Window Treatments
    hace 9 años
    Doreen - keep in mind that using real silk fabric is beautiful but silk deteriorates easily (with exposure to light and direct sunshine) so make sure the drapes are lined and interlined or use one of the many "faux" silk fabrics that are on the marked for a longer lasting custom treatment.
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    hace 9 años
    I think the key to silk is the lining and interlining, I've had them in my home in both north and south facing rooms for the last 12 years, The proper lining will also help them to drape nicely.
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Doreen, At Your Service Custom Window Treatments has posted a great photo of what I was describing in words. They also offer excellent advice on silk draperies.
    I agree with using a light Taupe or Gold panel (or what ever color matches your valances) with banding or trim (black my be to much contrast, look for a multicolored trim that ties your colors together)..
    Your room appears to be more formal and traditional, so I'd recommend 2" blinds in the trim color. But this would depend on what your reasons are for wanting to cover the windows… there may be a better solution. Why do you want to cover the windows? Light control, privacy, or something else?
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Gina, Yes my bedroom is traditional. We moved into this house about 2 years ago. The valances are beautifully made but a bit masculine. I wanted to achieve a more romantic look. I am rethinking and maybe I'll take them down all together. There are many gold textures in the room. I thought it would be difficult to find the right color gold. The rug is black with taupe and reddish burgundy.

What kind of shades would you recommend?
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Hi Doreen,

To achieve a more romantic and formal feeling I recommend that you look on Houzz at window treatments with swags and cascades mounted on a wood rod.

You many not have enough room in the corner for a finial (it's hard to see in the photo), so you may want a board mounted valance instead of a rod mounted valance.

If you don't need light control, install fabric roman shades on each window (bottom up/top down option is nice). The center window may be to large for one shade so you may need three separate shades on the large center window.

To be really luxurious, add drapery panels as suggested previously.

The gold fabrics do not have to be an exact match. It may be best to mix-n-match solid and print fabrics that have black, gold, and/or burgundy in them- that will distract the eye and minimize any slight color differences.

Of course this all depends on what you're comfortable spending, how long you want it to last, and what your wants/needs are. I hope this helps.

-Gina
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    When I suggested the Black grosgrain trimmed light draperies, I did not visualize the ones posted by "At Your Service Custom window Treatments". Darn I need to learn how to mock up my ideas & visions. I was thinking of a heavier drape with the band of black applied inside the edges & bottoms about three inches. The band would be about three inches.
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Gina thank you for all your ideas. I will keep them in mind.

Do you think the current valance could be used in order to achieve the look I am looking for? There is nothing wrong with the valances. They are done in a gold triangle fabric print trimmed with a solid black fabric.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    Those things are VERY OUTDATED. they block the light you have a very beautiful window, why hide it. that is like having long lush eyelashes and cropping them.
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Hi Doreen, You may be able to use the valance in redesigning your windows. I have a few questions that will help me guide you in the right direction.

You mentioned that the valances are a bit masculine for you, but beautifully made.

I'm assuming the valances came with the house, is that correct?

Do you really like the valances or are you living with them because they are well made, already there, and/or it's not in your budget to replace them?

Were you thinking of blinds for light control and/or privacy issues? Or were they just a thought to change the window?

What are you open to?

What are you comfortable spending on this project? ($, $$, $$$, $$$$)

Is this a DIY project? Or custom?

Thanks, Gina
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    I forgot this… describe the way you want your room to feel in 5 words.
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    After rethinking about it I want to take the valences down. I found these Waterfall valances with beautiful trim and glass beads.
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Gina,

The valances came with the house. I recently purchased bedding from Horchow and that started the ball rolling. The bedding is a beautiful gold damask fabric. I am very traditional. I am open to anything... DYI or custom. I definitely need to change the shades and I am trying to coordinate it with the master bedroom en-suite.
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años
    Doreen, I like the the waterfall valances that you have chosen to replace your existing cornices- they will feel softer, traditional, and romantic.
    Hang the valances as high as you can without showing the top of the window trim; it will allow more light into your bedroom and your windows will appear taller.
    You can hang them alone or add panels as described earlier in this thread.
    Adding sheer panels will also add to the romantic feel and give a little privacy.
  • PRO
    At Your Service Custom Window Treatments
    hace 9 años
    Here is a quick rendering with the waterfall or swag valance with sheers - a lovely idea!
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all for your great suggestions. I am so happy with my new curtains and valances. The room is finally taking on the traditional romantic look that I envisioned.
  • Doreen
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    New curtains ...
  • PRO
    Gina Paris Design
    hace 9 años

Looks great Doreen!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.