Houzz Logo Print
l_mtl

Drapes: how to open and close them every day

l_mtl
hace 15 años

Since I am currently shopping for window treatments for my LR and DR, I was fascinated by the recent discussion by Sheesharee and others about poles. Very educative.

I was also interested by a comment Valinsv made:

"My LR rods are very $$$ custom rods from Kirsh--don't ask how much I paid as I cringe to think about it now. I was so overwhelmed with it all, I just went with a expensive custom solution. They are traverse rods with "fake" rings and were made to fit. I think they are about 2" thick and the rings adds to the thickness as well. Though they are very simple to open/close since we have the pull down the left side whereas the ones in my bedroom I have a fling rod on each side and I need to pull each side to the center. The fling rods do really help open and close and you can get different lengths so you would not need to scramble over the sofa to open/close. In hindsight doing the rods similar to what you are describing would've been just fine and I would've save a lot of money."

I am also considering the "fake" ring rod for my LR. My large window is also behind the sofa (only a few inches between the two). My husband opens the curtain when he gets the newspaper in the morning. I already have black fingerprints all over the place I don't want him to touch my soon-to-be new custom-made draperies. As noted by Valinsv, the fake ring rod is very expensive: about 300$. In her opinion, it does not worth it; it would be as simple to just use a fling rod to open and close the curtain (which we will do twice a day for privacy). I have to admit that I am afraid to have to crawl over the sofa to operate the rod over the sofa.

So, I would like to know if anybody else had any experience with the "fake" ring rod. Do you think as Valinsv does that it would be as easy with only rods? On the other hand, if you have rods (or nothing at all), do you find it easy to open/close your curtains daily over your sofa? Am I just overthinking this?

Thanks for any info.

Comentarios (6)

• deltabreeze
    hace 15 años

I am not sure of all the drapery rod names. We have blackout drapes that hang from rings in our exercise/movie room (really, a glorified remodeled garage). We wanted drapes that would open and close very easily. We hung the drapes from metal rings glide over a metal rod. (We sprayed the metal rod with silicone.) We have two long, decorative metal baton/wands. The drapes open and close very easily by flinging the rods, but there is no couch in the way. We stand right under the rods. If you need to open/close the drapes from several feet away, I don't know how a fling rod would work.

• Valerie Noronha
    hace 15 años

I hope you do not take my comments out of context as (1) I paid $1,000 each (ouch!) for my rods from Calico Corners and (2) I have clearance behind my sofa where I could've walked to open/close. My fling rods are on some relatively inexpensive stock drapes from JC Pennies. So I have expensive custom drapes and rods in the LR/DR and inexpensive drapes and rod in my bedroom. I don't know that I would've put the inexpensive rod on the custom drapes since they are much heavier--just meant perhaps I'd gone overboard in the LR/DR and could've done a less expensive solution using the cheaper rod as well as the made-to-measure type drapes from JC Pennies. I do notice some pulling on the fabric, but the fabric weight and lining is much less sturdy than my custom drapes. I'd discuss it with the drapery designer you are working with to come up with a good solution. One other thing about my fake rings that is VERY annoying since now you know what I paid for them is that sometimes the fake rings pop off when opening closing. In fact I have about 8 of the "rings" I need to get my step stool out and attach back on. The installer just said that if I found it to be a problem not to use the rings, but sheesh when you pay the $$, you expect perfection. DH thinks I need to discuss with Calico Corners the problem, but I've had the drapes for about 9-10 months now--a bit late to complain or is it?

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    hace 15 años

Who is making your custom drapes? Do they sell rods? You can get a much less expensive line with Kirsh called Studio Coordinate rods. They are traverse and have the "C" rings. I imagine the one that Valins has in her room is the more expensive Buckingham Rods by Kirsh which is their "top of the line".

I would really suggest the traverse rods vs the baton pull in your situation. If you have a couch in front of your sofa - it'll be a pain to get on the couch to open and close your drapes! Get your window treatment professional to price out a Studio Coordinates traverse rod by Kirsh. They are 1 3/8" diameter (well they look that size from the front.) You can get them with or without rings. If you want a contempory look - leave off the rings. They only have a few colors to choose from - but they do have black - which goes with almost everything!

• sue36
    hace 15 años

Are operational drapes the only solution? Could you use drapes for looks (leave them open) and maybe cellular/honeycomb shades (or solar shades or something like that) for privacy. You can get the shades powered, using a remote, so there will be no touching of the shades or drapes and you won't have to crawl over the sofa. You'll have more options for the rods as well.

• l_mtl
    Autor original
    hace 15 años

Thank you for all your suggestions. Quite clear that it wouldn't be a good idea to have the flign rod/wand over a sofa...

Valinsv: Thank you for clarifying the situation. Wow, I thought that 300$ was expensive for a pole... you are absolutely right; for 1000$, I'd expect the pole to work beautifully every time... gosh, I am expecting this even if I'd pay only 300$... thank you for mentioning the issue about the rings... I will discuss this with my drapery consultant.

Downsy: I don't know what company the rod is from. I will sure investigate this.

Sue36: I've thought about other solutions. The thing is that this window, in the front of the house, does not get a lot of light (because it is on the north side and because there is a big tree right there). So, I don't want anything in my window during the day so as to get as much light as possible. I put a combo as you suggested in my DR because I don't mind loosing a bit of light there since the sun is shinging there all day.

Thank you everybody.

• graywings123
    hace 15 años

I was thinking the same exact thing as sue36. Motorized cellular shades would be perfect for this window.

I don't understand your comment about having this arrangement in your DR and loosing light. When celluar shades are fully up, they are all but invisible.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.