michoumonster

what dining chairs for this monastery table?

michoumonster
hace 7 años

hi decorating gurus, I have this monastery table on order, but did not think that the chairs being whitish, would stand up to my family's messy lifestyle. also, i thought these chairs looked more french maybe? my house is spanish mediterranean, so i want to go with a spanish monastery theme, and work in a touch of modern. here is a pic of the dining table in the grey wash finish that i ordered.

this is similar to my chandelier, kind of a gothic black iron

i want to avoid going too monastery and making the dining room look too heavy like a dungeon, but do want the elements to tie in.. can you recommend a few chairs to take me in the right direction?

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Here are some options from World Market

• Janice742
    hace 7 años

Check out Century Furniture...
    They have a bazillion chairs - and fabrics in all sorts of grades... as well as wood finishes...

Here are a couple:

Something with nailhead trim would be awesome....

This post was edited by Janice742 on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 11:23

• mtnrdredux_gw
    hace 7 años

ohh, i love the hot pink one from Beverly!

• chispa
    hace 7 años

*Shaking Mtn by the shoulders*

Who are you? And what have you done with the real color avoiding Mtn that we have all grown to love?

;-)

• kitchendetective
    hace 7 años

Yup. Definitely an impostor. Next we'll be hearing she has ordered something in red.

• Gooster
    hace 7 años

I love the first Century chair that Janice posted!

I had success with Carrington Court. They do affordable C.O.M chairs and are made in the US, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair

• kitchendetective
    hace 7 años

I've always liked os de mouton chairs with those tables, if you can find the right size and pitch. I'm not quite sure if that works with your description of the feel you want, though.

• michoumonster
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

thanks for all the suggestions. i really like the nailhead trim chairs.
    i will check out all of those manufacturers to look for something in my price range. those chairs do add up!

kitchendetective, i had to look up os de mouton, but now that i know what those are, i like those a lot. I really like the shape and with nailheads, it would be perfect!

one thought i had was to do these upholstered chairs for the two heads of the table, then all-wood chairs for the other places, so as not to worry about cleaning as much.
    what do you think of these ladderback chairs when paired with a couple of upholstered nailhead chairs? too uncomfortable / informal / shaker?

• Jules
    hace 7 años

I think this style chair with an updated fabric as shown is the perfect fresh and modern take on classic Spanish. Even better if you can find one with a turned spindle leg.

ETA: probably would be helpful if I added that the style is Spanish/Italian Baroque. And they were used in actual monestaries.

This post was edited by jujubean71 on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 10:14

• nosoccermom
    hace 7 años

Not quite on topic, but since you mentioned that your family is messy, I'd also look into a finish on the table. There was a discussion recently re RH oil (?) finish.

• michoumonster
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

jujubean, i LOVE those chairs. they are totally perfect!! can you tell me where they are from? i am hoping they are not too pricey though..

nosoccermom, thanks for the heads up on the table finish. i got my table today, but not sure about the color. looks different than in the store, a little too flat... so i think i might stain it anyway. but i will wait til i get chairs first to see what would work best..

• Jules
    hace 7 años

I saw them on a blog and thought back to this post. I'll see if I can find a source. What major city are you near?

• michoumonster
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

thanks jujubean, that would be wonderful if you can find more info. i am near san francisco.

• Jules
    hace 7 años

How many chairs do you need?

I couldn't track down the source for the chairs, but the designer is Maureen Griffin Balsbaugh Interiors, so you could contact her for the source: http://www.pinterest.com/gbinteriors/griffin-balsbaugh-interiors-my-work/

You fortunately live in an area with plenty of Spanish influence, and if you're working on a tight budget, I think you'll find lots of people selling Spanish style chairs on CL that you could modernize very easily. Here's just a quick few I found:

$160 for 6 - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/fuo/4145826972.html

$160 for 8 - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/fuo/4127446023.html

$200 for 8 - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/fuo/4137705825.html

• Jules
    hace 7 años

One more. Could so easily be reupholstered (by you) with the modern light leather.

$250 for 6 (including table you don't need, so you may be able to get much cheaper) - http://monterey.craigslist.org/fuo/4135124590.html

• michoumonster
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

jujubean, wow, you are awesome! what search criteria did you use to find those CL ads? when i did a search for dining chairs, it didn't turn up anything remotely interesting.

• Gooster
    hace 7 años

I agree with juju a turned spindle leg would look great on the chair she showed.

There is a lower end version of the chair juju showed at HomeDecorators:
    hdc link

Here's one with a more decorative leg:
    more decorative leg

• Jules
    hace 7 años

I use the Craigslist+ Pro app so I can scroll through photos without having to click over, and I searched dining chairs in the SF area.

• michoumonster
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

jujubean, thanks for the tip on the craigslist pro. great app!
    it will totally change my craigslist buying habits i think..

gooster, i like the decorative leg on your second chair. it is really nice, esepcailly since it is a darker wood which really pops against the white fabric. i will have to see if i can find something locally though as I am not familiar with howie's furniture. have you used them before?
    that home decorator's chair is nice also, though i might stain the legs if i get those. they are a good price though.

• aktillery9
    hace 7 años

I love the chairs juju found, the turned legs and arched top. I feel a chair with a rounded top of some sort would be fitting with the very rectangular, hard edged lines of the table.

I love your table btw!

• Holly- Kay
    hace 7 años

I love the first set of chairs that JuJu posted.

• MarinaGal
    hace 7 años

This chair from Arhaus might work as well. It comes in leather which would be great with small kids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arhaus Vail chair

• Gooster
    hace 7 años

michoumonster: I have not used howies at all -- they call the manufacturer "Old World" but I don't see a website to find a dealer network.

• michoumonster
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

marinagal, that arhaus chair looks a lot like jujubean's blog chairs. too bad the leather one only comes in brown and the white is a linen-like fabric which i need to avoid til my kids stop spilling their chocolate milk :-)

aktillery, i agree i think the rounded top looks nice on the chairs. though would it make it feel less modern?

the table is kind of curvy legged, so maybe a straightlegged chair might be ok? what do you guys think of this one by safavieh? the price is really good (especially if i can get a 20% coupon) though the legs are kind of plain...

i emailed the designer from the blog. i'll let you guys know if she ever replies to little ol me..

today i went to cost plus also to check out the chairs beverly posted but none of the nailhead ones were on display. btw, cost plus has a 25% off furniture sale right now for those interested..

Here is a link that might be useful: safavieh chair

This post was edited by michoumonster on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 2:23

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Saber más.