Houzz Logo Print
chickadee__3a

Joining two pieces of memory foam

chickadee__3a
hace 12 años

In order to make a cushion long enough to fit a window seat I need to join two pieces of foam end to end. I am wondering what type of glue to use. Has anyone here ever done this,and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Carolyn

Comentarios (7)

• jomuir
    hace 12 años

You can get foam glue at your local fabric or craft store. If you use regular glue, it may melt the foam. I've glued foam together with foam glue and it held very well.

Good luck with your project.

• mary_c_gw
    hace 12 años

There are spray adhesives made for bonding foam, and that is what you should use.

BUT - memory foam should NOT be used for cushions. Do you really want butt prints on your cushions?? Aside from anything else it's incredibly expensive for this use. Are you sure what you have is memory foam?

Use a high resiliency foam. Call your local upholstery supply store - many of them will custom cut your foam for very little cost.

And the stuff they sell at most craft stores - Nu-foam and such will collapse after about a year's use. Don't bother.

• chickadee__3a
    Autor original
    hace 12 años

Thanks for your comments, Mary. I don't know if it it is actually memory foam. My DIL gave me this piece of foam all rolled up and when unrolled expanded into a 3" slab so I thought it was memory foam. She doesn't live near me so I couldn't be with her when she bought it. On her last visit she brought it here. It is for a window seat in my granddaughter's room and as her dad says, it will probably be piled with stuff all the time.
    Since this is what I have , I guess I'll just have to work with it, but thanks for your advice re: adhesives.
    Carolyn

• mary_c_gw
    hace 12 años

I know you've decided to use it anyway, but here's a test.

Unroll the foam, and press down hard with your opened hand. Wait a few moments. Remove your hand, and if it takes a few moments for the hand print to disappear, it's memory foam.

If there is no imprint at all, it is probably cushion foam, and much better for your application.

• evaf555
    hace 12 años

Regular foam is easy. I have used Duro spray adhesive with great success. follow the directions (spray both surfaces, wait 60 seconds, press together) Do this outside, or there will be surfaces inside your workroom that will be permanently tacky. I don't know if memory foam will react differently to glue.

• kathi_mdgd
    hace 12 años

Whatever you do,DO NOT use that Nu Foam.I did once and mine didn't even last 6 mos,and i'm the only who sat on the chair.
    Kathi

• pris
    hace 12 años

You didn't say how long your cushion needs to be but, the longer the cushion the more likely the ends of the cushion will pop up when someone sits on it. You might want to test this before making a cover for one long cushion and consider making two shorter ones. Just a thought.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.