Houzz Logo Print
jdicianni

Help with Family Room Makeover please.

jdicianni
hace 11 años
I am ready to remodel my family room. Want to purchase new furniture and potentially do a new layout that may let us add some chairs for more seating. But before I purchase new furniture I would like some layout suggestions and recommendations on furniture.
The room is about 18'long x 14' wide. I have a bay window with a built in bench. There is a half wall separating the kitchen eating area from the family room.
Would like to keep the coffee table & cabinet shown left of fireplace. The rest of the furniture can be changed out. The TV can be moved to the other side of the fireplace or on the large wall. I thought if I put the sofa in front of the windows, slid the loveseat closer to the windows/sofa and moved the TV to the large wall, I could add a chair/recliner in the corner between windows and fireplace and another chair (w/ottoman?) on the opposite side of the fireplace. Then add a wall unit or console for the TV on the large wall. Is this too much furniture for this room?
What do you think about sofa under the window? The room is not wide enough to put a sofa where the love seat is now. Any other layout options? Sofa & love seat or sectional? Wall unit or console? Window treatments?
Open to any and all ideas to improve this room. It has never felt balanced or finished. Please ignore the dog crate, hope to get rid of that soon too :)
Jan

Comentarios (91)

• PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    I like the angled too - like the picture below (brought down from prior comment) but that 1/2 wall may make it feel a little cramped. But since you'll be using essentially the same pieces, you can change it around whenever you get bored w/one setting. You can always sit the extra chair in another room for a while if it doesn't fit when the sofa is angled.

The trick will be the wall opposite the bay window - accessorize it so you don't have to change that wall when you move the furniture around (in other words, you'll need more than 1 picture on the wall)

I'm sure there are are more corner tv cabinets - that was just the first one I saw on pinterest. I'll be happy to search around for more.

I don't know about the cushions for the bay window. You'll probably need someone local so they can come out and measure. Maybe the same place that does custom curtains? Is there one of those near you?

I'm so glad you like the room planner. Which one did you use?

Living Room · Más información

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    thanks Lyvonne. I used Small Blue Printer. Doesn't have the 3D, but was easy to use. And I could 'size' the furniture as I needed instead of taking pics of actual furniture as is. So for me, it was more flexible for simple layouts. If you see more TV cabinets please let me know. I googled a bit, and am not finding many at all so far. Mostly just consoles.
    Yes the half wall I think is the sticking point for me on the angle layout. But with the angle, I do need to push the future a bit more into the room ie closer to fireplace. That allows a bit more space between the wall and the sofa. At least visually. And YES, I know I need more than one picture. Just didn't know what to do with that wall. Maybe a new layout will inspire me :)
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    I am happy to look for the tv cabinets for you. What size is your tv?

Hope you don't think I was criticizing about your wall currently. 1 picture above a sofa is normal, nothing wrong w/that. :) More will make the room more versatile - let you move things around easier.

I'm very excited for you! For me too -- its going to be fun to see you make this transformation.

If you want to share pics of your potential couches - I'd be happy to look at.

Talk to you soon.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    omg, no way was I even remotely offended by you mentioning the solo picture. I know it is not right, just didn't know what to do with it and gave up. I really don't have anyone to shop with (except husband...not much help there :), so your input has really been helpful and appreciated. Now I just have to find some furniture! Was looking at Ashley because they have in-stock items so don't have to wait months...but not getting decent reviews for quality. Get what you pay for I guess. I will be happy to share potential furniture pics with you!
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    Phew! Very glad!

I agree - you definitely get what you pay for. Of course, sometimes you can only pay so much. Always a balance.

My best advice - take your time shopping - unless you want this done for your holiday parties. In that case, you better hurry up. :).

For the furniture, you'll want to go as timeless & versatile as possible. That way, when you are ready for a change in a few years, it will be less expensive to change out your accessories than buy all new furniture.

I'll look for the corner tv cabinet -- you keep checking out sofas & chairs -- and we'll meet back here as we go! :) If you're on twitter, we can also chat there. I'm @eilbp.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    great thanks. I stopped by Walter E Smithe today. A young consultant is stopping by tomorrow. We will see what she comes up with. The had an interesting 'wedge' sofa (curved sort of) and then the traditional sofas that can be customized for arms/legs/fabric. Hubby found a recliner he likes. It was comfy, but maybe a little old fashion and large. Was hoping to find something a little more contemporary. If you go to the smithe.com website, its the Portman Recliner SL707ST. I was comfy and not too high. I just do not want to wind up buying the same thing I bought 18 years ago, but in a different color. Want something a little more up-to-date but not still timeless, not faddish.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    That's fantastic that they'll send someone to you. I looked at their site, very nice! They carry a lot of the accessories we have too so you know they've got great taste. :)

Here are some I like - there are a lot of choices.
    Alexis Sofa WES25361ST
    Wedge Sofa 207128
    Lanai Short Sofa N1656L

I like how the wedge looks but I'm thinking it may not be too comfy if you want to stretch out on it for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Hubby might get a little upset but I do not like the recliner. I think you are wanting a room that could be described as comfy elegance and that recliner is not going to fit. Sorry.

I saw they have a corner unit - Corner Entertainment Center 82H-783. I didn't check the measurements though.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow! Have a great night.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi Lyvonne Was out to talk to the folks at Smithe. Thinking about going with the wedge, but just realized it is 39 inches high whereas our furniture is like 31. That's a big difference especially if we are going to angle it away from the wall. attached floorplan and pic of furniture (not colors). Wedge sofa, chair/ottoman and leather recliner. Looking as deep moss green texture on sofa, a small print of moss green,red, gold tones sorta of dots print. Deep chocolate leather on recliner. Pillows come with the sofa, so picked a solid moss green for two and a complementary stripe in the red/green/gold for the other two. I know had for you to tell with no really photos, but what do you think? wish I could take you to the store with me. I'm going back tomorrow and will try to take a pic of the fabrics.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    jdicianni

How did your designer visit go?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    See above note
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    I think we must have posted our comments at exactly the same time! I wish I could go to the store w/you too! Too bad I'm all the way on the East Coast.

VERY nice choice for the recliner. Good job pulling hubby away from the other. :) But now you might have to get your pup a matching one (see pic)!

Are you getting two of the recliners or just one? I love the chair w/the ottoman too!

I think moss green is a great choice. Very versatile. My last couch was that color & my best friend's couch is that color.

I do like the wedge -- same concern about lazy Sunday lounging - is it going to be comfy for that?

Did you look at their corner tv cabinet while you were there?

This is all coming together rather nicely! But all this talk about comfy chairs is making me sleepy.

Keep me updated! Talk to you soon.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    oh how funny...the dog bed DOES match the recliner! I am getting just one recliner. Yes the wedge is very comfy. It is deep enough that you can stretch out, I did so at the store. Glad you like the other chair too. But my concern now is the height of the wedge. Maybe I am just so use to my old furniture and looking over it easily even from sitting at the kitchen table. What do you think about 39" high? Current furniture is 31.
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    oh forgot to answer you about the tV cabinet from smith. I don't think it was big enough. Have to keep looking. Also, it has to come out far enough so the TV clears the mantle since most of the bases are quite a bit higher than we have now. We only have a 17" high base now. Most I saw were 25 and up. TV would hit the mantle. We need a lower base or one that would stick out farther into the room I think.
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    By the way, 39" sofa would actually be 1 inch higher than the half wall.
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Here are the fabrics. Darker green sofa. Small print chair and ottoman. Stripe and lighter green pillows.
    Brown leather recliner.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    I think higher than the half wall is ok. It won't be right up against the wall so 1 inch will be barely noticeable.

Fabrics look great. Those pillows have a lot of great colors in them that you can use in other parts of the room!

Too bad their corner tv cabinet won't work. I'll look for more.

Did you order or are you still thinking? How long will delivery take - 8 weeks?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I am so glad you like the fabrics. I think I looked at everyone available to me :) They look better in person. All have great texture. The order got placed today! There is a chance I will get the sofa and chair/ottoman before Christmas! But not the recliner. I am having 30 people over for a End of the World party (and my birthday) on Dec 21st. They will probably want to deliver on that day...NOT.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    Happy almost birthday! Sounds like it is going to be a great party, especially if everyone is going to party like its the end of the world. :)

That's great that you might get some pieces before Christmas! Now to plan the accessories! Are you going to paint?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Will need to paint, but won't get that done until after the holidays.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    So I know where there is a gap in the market - corner tv cabinets. Found nothing good so far :( but will find! :)

Saw this on houzz via someone I follow on twitter - https://www.houzz.com/magazine/experience-the-holidays-at-frank-lloyd-wrights-home-and-studio-stsetivw-vs~5741800

That is near you I think.

Happy Holidays!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Tell me about it! I have been searching the internet and all I find are low, traditional TV cabinets. I need a 46-48 inch corner cabinet. But I need one that the top is almost diamond shape, ie cannot have the front just straight across....need the front corners angle! This is because of the fireplace hearth/brick sticking out into the room. So that even further reduces the cabinet choices. And, most of the cabinets are only around 20" deep. If I push the cabinet against the wall as should be....it won't stick out far enough to allow the TV to come out beyond the fireplace mantel! If I put it forward/into the room away from the wall a bit....I cannot use a hutch. Really stuck. :(
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    I'll keep looking & I'll ask around about getting something made. It might not be that expensive.

Plus, there are a lot of rooms here on Houzz where a corner tv cabinet would work nicely. Maybe we'll start a trend - the jdicianni tv cabinet, carried exclusively by the essentials inside. :)

Are you in touch w/the designer who helped you pick out the furniture - can/did you ask him/her about it?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I love it! A cabinet named after me!! LOL
    I asked the designer from the furniture store...they do not carry anything that will work.
    The base need to be deeper. I saw one that had a hutch that was close, but the base was too high :( Tv would hit the mantle. Thanks for helping me look.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    You're very welcome. Sorry we haven't found anything so far.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    A twitter designer friend knows a custom furniture maker in the Chicago area. He's going to get me the name. Can't hurt to inquire.

Counting the days till ur b'day extravaganza?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    can't hurt! thanks
  • shyasia456
    hace 11 años
    I would add build-in a round the fireplace. Change the fireplace brick to Floor-to-ceiling glass and marble mosaic tiles in brown, gold, cream and grey tones, change the size of the firepalce so that the tv can be place in the build-in with out the look like it does fit. I would also change the trim work in there as well. Adding window panels to the all the way to the top of the ceiling give the room a taller feeling. There nothing wrong with adding two chairs with no arms by the bay window with a mirrior or glass end table in the midde for more seating. People here has a lot fo good idea. Good look with your project!!!!
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    hace 11 años
    This living room has a very similar shape. Maybe this will give you some ideas. You can mount the TV over the firplace and add storage on both sides.

Woodbury Kitchen-Main Level Remodel · Más información
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    hace 11 años
    Here's another photo. being you don't have the opening like this room I would just flip the furiture to oposite side the seating faces the window instead.
    Woodbury Kitchen-Main Level Remodel · Más información
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks but we have decided, we do not want the TV over the fireplace. Just don't care for 'looking up' to watch TV.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    Haven't gotten the name of the furniture maker from my twitter designer friend yet - will check in w/him again tonight - but I did come across someone here on Houzz in your area -- http://www.houzz.com/pro/bwinteriors/b-w-interiors-chicago

Hope all is well and you're getting ready for your party!

Anything else new?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    ok, thanks Lyvonne. Yes getting ready for party. Having 29 out of the 32 invited....good turn out. got some Mayan music and some classic end of the world songs ready. Cake and food ordered...so just need to clean up the house, shop for rest of food, and decorate! should be fun. Nothing else new furniture wise. Furniture won't arrive until mid-late January now. they had the fabric for the sofa, but someone snatched the fabric for the chair before my order came in and next shipment wasn't due in until january 3rd. So won't take delivery until all the pieces are available. don't want half old and have new in the room :)
  • leannebrum
    hace 11 años
    Our family room is very similar, although not as wide or quite as long. Fortunately, our window is not a bay, so we are able to put the sofa there with no problem. Just wondering about the width of the wall to the left of the bay? If it is wide enough, you could put a small media cabinet there and mount the tv on a bracket that does extension and swivel above. This could make tv watching more versatile and disappear somewhat when you don't need it to be a focal point.
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    wow, you must have read my mind. I was just thinking about if that wall next to the window could work for a cabinet and then mount the TV. Didn't know how that would look if a straight/retangular cabinet/stand was place on that wall instead of the fireplace wall. that wall is like 5 feet. So a cabinet could definately go on it. But not sure how the TV angle way out (ie some part would be hanging in mid air) would look. Lyvonne, what do you think.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    Great thinking leannebrum! That idea didn't cross my mind at all but I like it. Here are some things I found on Houzz --

Pivoting TV turning into bookcase · Más información

Lindy Donnelly · Más información

Traditional Family Room · Más información

Family Room · Más información

Or you could have the tv come out of the ceiling or up out of a shorter cabinet.

Contemporary Bedroom · Más información

Crisp Architects · Más información

But don't get anything until after the 21st! You never know... :)

Sounds like it is going to be a great party!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    How was the party? :)

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi Lyvonne. Party was great. Invited 34 people ....had 31! Full house. Had palm tree in family room with vines around windows and light fixtures. Also big poster of tiki god with mouth, eyes, nostrils cut out that went in front of fireplace so fire showed thru. Mayan calendar was put on the cake. My kitchen island had tiki torches on it and every basket or wooden/metal bask/dish I owned with lots of different mexican appetizers , then make your own fajitas with rice and beans and quesadillas. When thru 18 bottles of wine plus margheritas and mojitos. but was I pooped on Saturday!

new furniture to arrive on January 19th!
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    THAT sounds like one awesome party! Too bad I'm all the way over here on the East Coast. ;)

Bet you can't wait for the new furniture to arrive!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    Furniture is almost here right?? :)

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    BTW - the furniture maker in Chicago is:
    Creative Wood Concepts, Inc.
    1680 N. Ada St., Chicago, Illinois 60622
    773-384-9960

Highly recommended from twitter designer friend.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks Lyvonne. Sorry for not replying sooner, but nothing to say until I received the furniture. Got the furniture last week. Put it in the layout we had planned to do.....did not like it at all. Its quite a bit bigger than my old furniture so having the chair at the end of the sofa (even divided by an end table) made it feel like one continuous wall of furniture. too much on one wall. So....we did what I figured we would have to do in the beginning. Flip the room.
    So the curved sofa is now behind the half wall corner nearer the window. The fabric chair and ottoman are staying to the left of the fireplace. And the recliner is replacing the TV to the right of the fireplace. I really didn't like seeing the back of the recliner especially when it was reclined. plus you have to keep it far enough away from the wall which meant it stuck out into the room too much. And didn't align with the other pieces. So putting it where the TV is now...i will be able to look at the front view of the recliner and not really notice how far from the wall it is. much better I hope.
    This way I use 3 corner of the room instead of mostly all on one side. At least thats the plan.
    We have to get the cable moved to what will now be the big blank wall, so we can put the TV on that wall. I need to find a console to put it on. i am looking for something about 8 feet long and 28ish inch high by about 20 inch deep. This way it will extend beyond the TV so I can put some other items on it and use more of the wall.
    That's the plan. Will still need to get new carpet, lights, maybe a sofa table for behind the curved sofa to fill that corner a bit. Boy, one thing leads to another, huh? So much for just getting a few new pieces and carpet.
    I'll post a new pick once I get the furniture in place. Then we can go from there. If you know any good sources for consoles as I mentioned, let me know.
    Jan
  • PRO
    Poole's Stone and Garden, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    Stone would really liven this room up.
  • karmeg
    hace 11 años
    First of all, the tv next to the fireplace kills the look of the fireplace. It is too crowded and they are competing for attention. The black tv is a distraction and the least attractive element in the room.
    also, the room is "weighted " to one side ; all the dark furniture is clustered and " heavy looking without any visual balance on the other side of the room.
    Definitely do window treatments to soften the edges ( drapes on the ends are fine ).
    I would put a large sectional in front of ( but not tightly up against ) the window, with the side extension wrapping in the direction of where you now have the love seat.
    You will have as much seating but more open space.
    Put the tv on the large wall opposite the window, HOWEVER , you MUST put something more substantial ( as in a tableware built in shelving ) under the tv and extending beyond the width of the tv.
    You should build up a decorated wall ( either built ins/ bookcases, etc )around The tv so it is just not a black dot on a large wall.
    You can do pictures and open shelving ( less costly than bookcases) around the tv and above maybe a 6 ft London table that holds the tv.
    You can even fit two ottomans for extra seating under the "tv" table or large baskets for storage.
    I would remove the chest from the left side of the fireplace, and instead have a comfy chair and ottoman angled more into the seating area from that corner.
    You can also do a nice floor lamp somewhere behind the chair and if the budget allows, work some lighting into the tv side of the room.
    As the room comes together you might be able to work the chest and the table( currently to the right of the sofa ). into the plan
    I f you have a sectional as I described, try one of these pieces against the 1/2 wall Btwn. The kitchen and family room.
    The longer table might be great for placing a laptop and lamp on, or to use as a server when you entertain.
    Or - the chest might work there with a small scale chair next to it ( or one on either side of it - can't tell from phot how much room there is.
    Just remember, we all have a tv but it is the least attractive and most distracting thing in the room when standing alone squeezed in by a fireplace so you can see both at the same time.
    NO ONE wants to look at both at the same time.
    A sectional in a narrow room, allows viewing access with the tv on one wall and the fireplace gets to be the star on the other wall.
    Good luck !
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks Karmeg for you your comments. Seems like we are headed in about the same direction. I have a large curved sofa now which is in the corner below the half wall from the kitchen and curves up to the windows. Room is not wide enough for me to put the sofa directly in front of the windows and be able to add other seating (since its not a sectional). I am planning to move the TV to the large wall. I too do not like the fireplace and TV together, but it was all we could do originally.
    I am looking at purchasing an 8 foot console/cabinet that will support the TV on the large wall and also as you say 'extend beyond the TV' to allow me to add pictures other on one or both sides of the TV for height and more width on that large wall. I do not want 'a black dot' on the wall :)
    I also have a new chair with ottoman that fits nicely in front of the cabinet to the left of the fireplace so no need to change that cabinet to another spot. My other larger chair will replace the TV on the right side of the fireplace. Lighting will be an issue for us to work, but I need to get all the furniture in its proper locations before I can address that successfully. When I get more things in place I will post a new pic. I welcome everyones comments on how to then 'accessorize' the room! pics, lighting, etc.
  • alefantee
    hace 11 años
    This room is too busy. Try taking away some patterns.
  • alefantee
    hace 11 años
    And maybe swap out the couches....
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    fyi, this looks like the layout we are going to go with. Since we already purchased the furniture...have to work with what we have.
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    But like I said a larger console for the TV.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 11 años
    Hi Jan! So glad to hear from you & so glad the furniture arrived! The new layout looks good. Wonder if it is possible to move the tv cabinet to the left (away from the fireplace) a bit & then move the chairs in?

Post pics when you can - then we can see where you go from here!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • jdicianni
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi Lyvonne! yes, we will play with the distance from the wall. The recliner will have to come into the room about 3 feet from the corner anyhow to allow for reclining. So the chair & ottoman will likely be out farther than in the floor plan. Once I get the TV moved and onto a console, I'll have a better idea of how to position the chairs and sofa.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.