Houzz Logo Print
ashleychitty

DILEMMA!! I need help with my bi-fold doors which open up into a down stairs bedroom!!

ashleychitty
hace 11 años
I was wanting to replace these doors, but have found no affordable choice which I liked. The total door size is 72 inches by 80 inches. I am not sure if I want to stencil a design on them, add texture by attaching tiles, or frame the doors with flat casing. I'm looking for a modern but earthly look. THANKS for your suggestions!

Comentarios (17)

• feeny
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Would a built in, sliding shoji screen (or something equivalent) make sense? I'm just not a bifold door fan.
    City Zen Space · Más información
  • charleee
    hace 11 años
    I totally agree with Kaplan! For texture, you could get the heavily textured paintable wallpaper and paint them, also. Long chrome handles will add a modern touch.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 11 años
    Another option might be to attach trim to make them more doorlike, paint the door frame white and the doors black. Add new hardware like pic #3 and they will become a stylish focal point.
    black french doors · Más información

Wider view of hall with black doors · Más información

Georgetown Townhouse · Más información

• inkwitch
    hace 11 años
    If you're interested in a more "artsy" treatment, you could apply strips of different designs of wood trim vertically or horizontally and paint the whole a glossy color of your choice. I've seen this done to the front of drawers on houzz, and plan to do it to a small nondescript chest of my own.
  • mpoulsom
    hace 11 años
    I just did something with my fireplace that turned out pretty cool, with wood strips. Not finished yet, but you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. You could remove the doors, lay them down flat and glue them on vertically instead of horizontally. It is a very modern and earthy look. Change the hardware and you would have a totally different look.
  • orangecamera
    hace 11 años
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-wood-art-173470

This was done with wooden shims, glued on and then stained. This would add an interesting texture, which you could stain or paint.

I wouldn't recommend using tiles or anything too heavy on the doors. Too much weight will thrown them out of whack and they won't open and close properly after a while.
  • nevadan
    hace 11 años
    Wait till you can afford to do it right. The doorway needs to be narrowed and a conventional door inserted. In general a dor beside a fireplace looks bad, but yours is even worse.
  • PRO
    Jabelone
    hace 11 años
    What's on the other (right) side of the fireplace? More painted wall? Paneling? Shelving? Anything too dimensional, artsy or textured on the bi-folds will draw focus away from the fireplace. You could consider the opposite approach of painting the doors to match the wall color and make them disappear.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Can you go to a place that reclaims doors from buildings and look for French doors or the Barn Door look that slide on Pulleys.
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    hace 11 años
    By-pass barn door hardware could be a good option. It gives you a modern and rustic look. Not sure what your budget is be you can take a look on our site here: http://rusticahardware.com/bypass-barn-door-hardware-system/
  • PRO
    Portlandshojiscreen
    hace 11 años
    Using handmade papers from Japan, China or anywhere, you can cover the doors. Look up Fusuma in google images or youtube to get an idea...
    Real Japanese Fusuma is a shoji-like framework that is completely covered on all sides. Often they used a printed wallpaper like image for a final cover. I'm suggesting just covering the hollow-core doors with paper for a rustic style.You wouldn't need to do the inside. You could wrap the edges with new wood.
    sorry, no pix!
  • LesleyH
    hace 9 años
    I agree that black matt doors can look stunning, especially against your current wall colour. However, be careful what you wish for. Generally, timber doors don't show finger prints whereas painted doors do.
  • oigetit
    hace 4 años

Please don't try to have the doors make a statement. You want your fireplace to be the focus of the room. Right now you have the original mid century style doors which go with the brick fireplace- about as earthy as you can get. The big question is what does this door lead to? If it's shelving or a game closet you will want to keep it a bifold door. If you are bothered by the look, you could paint the brick white (I like the color of your brick, however) and install new prepainted white bifold doors- possibly with full louvres. If it's another room behind the doors - like a study then glass french doors framed in wood would work. Is this room a formal living room? If it's just a family room, you might be overthinking it.

• Susan Murin
    hace 4 años

I think the doors you have match the style of the home well. I would refinish but not paint them. The wood adds warmth. Stain a different color if you prefer, but keep the wood.

• PRO
    Portlandshojiscreen
    hace 4 años

Boy is this thread old. Wonder what she actually did??

• PRO
    Harbor Home Improvements
    hace 4 años

This is a before picture . I turned this master bedroom closet with limited usable space into a open concept usable space . The lower space is for shorter clothing such as pants snd the shelves on either side all roll out for up to 6 pairs of shoes on each level

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.