Houzz Logo Print
m5askqu5

Window Treatment help!

m5askqu5
hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
Just purchased our home. I'm not sure what to do with our kitchen windows: curtains, blinds? They face the south, very sunny. We have wood floors that have faded because of this. They crank out. Only the two on each end open. Any ideas? I think they're about 18" wide each.

Comentarios (66)

• charleee
    hace 11 años
    Perfect! And your next design dilemma post on Houzz should be "Is there a replacement for the crank in crank windows? It's interfering with my window treatments: !!!
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    hace 11 años
    UGGH. I hate when the screens are on the inside. That could present a problem with mounting. You need to make sure you can remove the screens--if you ever need to, and having them there will limit your mounting space. Are these windows on an angle--sort of a bay, or are they in a straight line? I can't tell. If on an angle, and you purchase your blinds youself, make sure you don't get them too wide so that they bump into each other on the angles--get it? Take precise measurements. **You can also get replacement handles for those crank handles--you can by T handles--works the same, only takes up less room.**
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

kitchen

Q

(0) comentarios
    Artec blinds, has the best solutions for your window treatments. ☎️ 305-699-5589 www.artecblinds.com @artecblinds #blinds #brikell #interiordesign #interior_design #interiors #interior_delux #interiordesigner #dreamhome #dreamhouse #myhome #myhouse #luxurylifestyle #luxuryhomes #luxurydesign #interiorinspiration #interiorideas #homedecor #housedesign #housedesign #housedecor #modermhouse #modermhome #renovation #kitchendesign #kitchenremodel #aventura #kitchenstyle
    ...Ver más

Windows Treatment

Q

(1) comentarios
    Esto "deprime", pués no se sabe, lo que está uno viendo
    ...Ver más

Windows Treatment

Q

(0) comentarios
    Projects made with passion and dedication ☎️ 305-699-5589 Call Now www.artecblinds.com @artecblinds #blinds #interiordesign #windowtreatments #brickell #brickelliving #interiors #love #interior_design #instagood #interior_delux #interiordesigner #dreamhome #dreamhouse #myhome #myhouse #luxury #luxurylifestyle #luxuryhomes #luxurydesign #interiorinspiration #interiorideas #homedecor #homedesign #homedesign #modermhouse #modermhome #renovation #aventura #livingroom #realestate #generalcontractormiami
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más
  • charleee
    hace 11 años
    You can also mount the blinds above the top window trim as the header is about 2" deep. And would work especially well if the blinds matched the window trim!

Oh, and maybe you could have your crank windows motorized......
  • m5askqu5
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    It's a bay window...
  • dcer
    hace 11 años
    I agree with the above comments. Keep it simple, no fussy valances, just nice blinds.
  • Teresa Fell
    hace 11 años
    Actually, there is a replacement handle with a profile that takes up way less space:
    http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Prime-Line-Products-H3536-Window-Handle-Tee-Crank/148040/Cat/1463?gclid=CM_4l6ni3rMCFYZM4AodG2oA8A
    Also, to save money I have purchased roll up shades and roman shades (wood or clothe) and have altered them myself. Will save you a lot of money.
  • PRO
    C Wright Design
    hace 11 años
    Congratulations on your new home! From this photograph the wall color looks to be a medium value, with cabinets and ceiling a light creamy white. If that is correct, I would consider a roman shade in a light creamy white to match the cabinets and ceiling - mounted at the ceiling height. This will make the ceiling look higher, and when the shade is open it will stack above the window so it does not take up part of the view when you don't need it down for glare. These roman shades are available at all the usual suspects: Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc. and it sounds like you should be able to get them in sizes that would work without going custom. Good luck!
  • nevadan
    hace 11 años
    I am re-visiting. I have a typo in my previous note. I meant to say - if you have an awning you will not need curtains. Curtains and blinds in a kitchen are a pain. They get VERY dirty if you actually cook.
  • nevadan
    hace 11 años
    I am re-visiting. I have a typo in my previous note. I meant to say - if you have an awning you will not need curtains. Curtains and blinds in a kitchen are a pain. They get VERY dirty if you actually cook.
  • lionnessone
    hace 11 años
    Two words: "HUNTER DOUGLAS"
  • m5askqu5
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I sooo wish we could afford Hunter Douglas. I'd love to have nice window treatments like they have on their site.

I do cook...and bake. A lot! So they'll need to be easy to maintain.
  • PRO
    Copper Leaf Interior Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    Hunter Douglas has great products ranging from wood blinds and shutters to soft window shades. They are great with reducing the sun's rays and also help with UV protection for your flooring and furniture. Hunter Douglas' products are a little more expensive than just your normal JC Penny window treatments, but they are definitely worth it. Hunter Douglas is always having special promotions with cash back opportunities. I would check into it and at least get a quote if you haven't already done so.
  • lionnessone
    hace 11 años
    Follow the above advice.
    Trust me; you will be pleased with Hunter Douglas, great company. Hunter Douglas has sales on all the time. Talk to the experts there and ask for a discount. Let them know your budget and they will be able to work something out with you.
    Check them out!
  • momsy
    hace 11 años
    Top down, bottom up blinds with blockout lining. I got mine made by a company in Texas. They have saved my furniture from scorching sun and keep house toasty on wintery nights. Window films, professionally installed are a wonderful enhancement.
    http://www.justblinds.com/natural-wood-shades
  • Jan Albert
    hace 11 años
    I think the window is sort of in an awkward place in the kitchen...it wants to have something underneath...like a counter. I'd do solar shades and make them the color of the walls...sort of make them disappear but will keep out the sun, while still allowing you to see out.
  • littlemsclimber
    hace 11 años
    What about plantation shutters they can let light in but still not ruin your floors and they will also match existing cabinets. Here are some examples:
    Morningside Kitchen Renovation · Más información
    and
    Morningside Kitchen Renovation · Más información
    They can expensive but they can also be pretty cheap depending on the size of your windows and the place where you get them.
  • bunkiee
    hace 11 años
    My local Cosco has a Hunter Douglas sales booth! May be worth checking out.
  • Vivien Pace
    hace 11 años
    Congratulations on your new home. It's a lovely kitchen. I also like the matchstick blind look. Thy're pretty inexpensive. What ever you select, remember it has to be wasable.
    What is outside these windows? I would definately consider planting something that would provide seasonal natural shade. If you plant soon, you won't believe how fast things grow! You'll be glad you did it first.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 11 años
    Paint out wood trim on casings to match cabinets!!! add a woven shade, with or without a privacy liner. You can do ONE shade on an outside mount
  • ccwatters
    hace 11 años
    We have a similar issue in our cottage with sun. Went with top down bottom up blinds, no strings hanging out. Priced them out at a dozen places, but went with really inexpensive ones at JCP.com. Just a thought if budget is really tight. We built the cottage, so once window treatments came along, I went inexpensive as I had 25-30 windows to fit with treatments. Have not been disappointed yet, but actually only used them for 3 straight months this last summer...so may still discover "you get what you pay for"....but maybe not :) Regardless of where to get them, I love that I can keep the top open to let in a little light during that heavy afternoon sun, yet protect the floors because the bottoms are down.

I do have two architectual awnings over two of my south-facing windows, and it does cut down on the sunlight. It was more expensive, however, than window treatments.

Another solution altogether may be to go with a floor product that is fade resistent if you are going to refinish your floors (think that is what I understamd). One I have been researching lately (haven't even tried it yet, but have seen it on Houzz and want to use it on our floors at home) is Rubio Monocoat. 35 different colors, fade restent, and no poly. Sounds crazy, but it is an oil, and leaves a matte finish, which I love. Biggest perk is, that if there is a scratch, you can sand and refinish JUST the scratch without being able to tell (no overlap of product). Anyhow, I remember seeing it is fade resistent....may be something to look into.
    Here is a link, and posting Houzz photos as well

http://www.rubiomonocoat.com/en/colours.php

[houzz=]
    [houzz=
    Skandinavisk Spisestue · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Pemberton Addition/Renovation · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Houzz Tour: Industrial DIY Farmhouse in Ohio · Más información
    ]
  • anitajoyce
    hace 11 años
    Blinds or shades would work well for the kitchen windows.
  • oxybird
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Blinds !!!!
    Also sorry about your floor. Highly recommend OSMO wood floor oil, its the Best!
  • olldroo
    hace 11 años
    While I love shutters, definitely not in the kitchen to attract greasy dust that is extremely difficult to clean. Can you get a double roller blind, the top side is a mesh for privacy, the back blind is a black mesh that blocks out sun and heat. I am getting one for my kitchen that faces east and the morning sun is not only hot in summer but quite blinding too.
  • 74frank
    hace 11 años
    We have hunter Douglas Duality shades in our bedroom very expensive but nice. Two shades in one, room darkening and light filtering. They come with a lifetime guarantee but be aware that when the pull strings break, the rep comes to take them and do not hold your breath waiting to get them back.
    They take their good old time . We have been without ours several times and have waited for them to be returned six to eight weeks. Before that, you sit with broken shades for weeks before the are picked up. I am not suggesting you buy the type of shades we have. The point being that we have not been happy with Hunter Douglas for timeliness in the repair of their product.
  • PRO
    Creative Blinds & Decor
    hace 11 años
    Hello and congratulations on your new home!
    One thing to consider is- do you need privacy in the evenings?
    I would recommend a ceramic based window film, such as Huper Optik. You would have 99 % UV protection for your wood floors and heat reduction as needed- depending on the intensity of the film, and your view would not be darkened.
    The overall "look" is important as well as budget, and being a bay with crank handles I would not use blinds as the projection of the blinds, cords, etc. will detract from the esthetic of the bay design . Have you considered one shade, such as a roller shade mounted on the outside on or above the trim? You would have one cord only( or motorize), they can be cleaned as they are of a vinyl, and can be selected for the amount of light you want to filter through, raise and lower easily as needed and rolls up into a slim cassette, or leave it simply as the roll ( more contemporary), and a vast selection of styles are available.
  • lgjeltema
    hace 11 años
    I have cordless Levelor in my kitchen from Lowes. At almost 3 yrs needed restrung. Lowes sent them back to the mfr. with no charge to us they were restrung and the cords reward teed for another 3 years. Sometimes the initial investment upfront is worth it. We have blackout lined woven woods and they look great in the kitchen. Control southern facing sun exposure With a baby, be careful of corded products. They can be a safety issue and the bay. Could be a climbing spot.
  • PRO
    Shades IN Place
    hace 11 años
    A screen / roller shade covering all four windows would look great and not choppy . They are not expensive!!
  • kingslane
    hace 11 años
    I love the look and feel of shutters..very clean, contemporary and you can manage the light stream..
  • dholpainen
    hace 11 años
    Solar roller shades would be perfect. They come in many different fabric choices and you can see through them even though they only allow 10% UV light through them. Hang samples on your windows to determine which fabric works best.
  • PRO
    Paint Creek
    hace 11 años
    2" wood blinds in the same color as the window frame will make the kitchen look bigger. Blinds will provide the feeling of organization and cleanliness to the room which is often needed in a kitchen. Or paint the window frames white and go with white blinds for more light and balance to the room.
  • PRO
    Paint Creek
    hace 11 años
    2" wood blinds in the same color as the window frame will make the kitchen look bigger. Blinds will provide the feeling of organization and cleanliness to the room which is often needed in a kitchen. Or paint the window frames white and go with white blinds for more light and balance to the room.
    hace 11 años
    Roman shades or balloon shades.
    The middle two windows as one and each side window separate.
    Use a washable fabric or sheer or puckered fabric. Expensive to have made but not too hard to make yourself with instructions.
    You could hang all the way up to ceiling if you want or four inches above.

Vicky
  • PRO
    Curtain Design
    hace 11 años
    I would be looking at retaining the light with a sunfilter roller blind. Thats only if privacy isn't an issue as this won't provide that at night. This will help with the fading issues as a sunfilter roller will block out 90% of the harmful UV rays.

I always advise customers to stay away from fabrics in the kitchen as this is an area that can get wet/dirty. A blind inside the window frame is a much better idea.

I think a number of the suggestions above are also great.
  • vickiedavis
    hace 11 años
    You could make a board mounted window treatment just to dress , soften and add a little color to the windows and then mount your blinds to this board if you are interested in something like this it is something most anyone could do themselves. I do a lot of board mounted treatments and they go with almost any style. A simple box pleat looks great , use a 1 x 6 board and attach to the wall with L brackets. Vickie with Vickie's designs
  • vickiedavis
    hace 11 años
    You could make a board mounted window treatment just to dress , soften and add a little color to the windows and then mount your blinds to this board if you are interested in something like this it is something most anyone could do themselves. I do a lot of board mounted treatments and they go with almost any style. A simple box pleat looks great , use a 1 x 6 board and attach to the wall with L brackets. Vickie with Vickie's designs
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    hace 11 años
    Sun screen roller shades would work well here. Hunter Douglas makes a good product as some have suggested. I would NOT do fabric curtains panels ... too close to the stove so they will just get greasy and dusty. Any other FIXED fabric curtain or valance would not be very practical either. I would paint out the wood trim to match the cupboards. And whoever suggested the balloon shade ... REALLY? In 2012?
  • PRO
    Design Sorce
    hace 11 años
    If you were my client, I would strongly suggest to go with a Hunter Douglas shade and add a custom valance as a top treatment.
    hace 11 años
    Yes mounting the treatment on a covered board is good but I still suggest for a very functional use the left and right window should be separate. The middle two as one shade since they are stationary and do not open.. I also like the awning idea too. The shade could add interest to the room though if the right fabric is used.
    Vicky C.
    hace 11 años
    Just want to add with 54" fabric (not knowing exact measure ). The middle drapery will take approx 21/2 to 3 yards and the two sides the same split Equalling 5 to 6 yards. All total.
    You could also use a sheet. Get a how to book and have fun - save money
    Vicky C
    hace 11 años
    Ps my last name is not Davis
    Vicky C
    hace 11 años
    Ps my last name is not Davis. Vickie Davis Knows what she is doing and we are agreeing fabric would add interest and softening , the room is hard.
    Vicky C
  • greenthumb2
    hace 11 años
    I still think curtains are do-able. you can put them up in 5 minutes and take them down is 2 minutes. washable, replaceable, affordable.

A decent set of blinds will cost you over $200.00 for this window. your curtains and rods will be less than 1/2 the price. save up for the blinds you like and then splurge on natural wood - not plastic, fabric, or aluminum.... :=)
  • ritamaru
    hace 11 años
    Hang one wide bamboo shade on outside from the edge of the eaves. It's inexpensive but block sun light to protects your floor and keep the temperature down. When you are home you can leave the window wide open to ventilate. Key is to hang it at least 8” away from the window for better air circulations. Also, provides privacy. When it gets dirty, horse it off or simply replace it. Hanging any kind of blinds in kitchen is a cleaning nightmare. Looks like you have a baby too. You wouldn't have time to wipe blades one at the time.
    Attached are pics of our western exposure front porch. During the summer, our porch gets direct sun for about 8 to 9 hours. Our living room, on the other side of the large window, gets so hot in the afternoon to evening. We have to hang it from the rafter because the house doesn’t have the eaves. (Don’t ask me why, we didn’t build it. We gave the face lift with new porch and new siding.) The blind is actually an indoor blinds that we use for outdoor. We use it only summer time and take it in when it's raining. It was the best $40 we spent on the issue.
  • sparklefarkle
    hace 11 años
    solar screens on the outside....nothing, or something simple like roman shades on the inside
  • PRO
    World Class Supply
    hace 11 años
    I would second the recommendation for OSMO. Add some pigment to help with the fading. No matter what anyone says, transparent titanium dioxide used in clear finish will not protect from the sun as well as earth pigments.
  • PRO
    Creative Blinds & Decor
    hace 11 años
    Id love to hear what the original person who posted the design dilemma decided!
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    hace 11 años
    I would definitely recommend going with a Shutter .I sell shutters that would match your existing window frames that would look absolutely amazing!!

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
  • rluchinski
    hace 11 años
    How about stained glass panels hung in front of the window glass.... would have a beautiful bright, colourful effect!
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Besides window treatments, you should paint the trim white to match the cabins. You end up with a prettier much more cohesive look.
  • leelee
    hace 10 años
    I was just going to say paint the windows white when I glanced up to barbarahydeevans remark. I don't know why that hasn't been done already. Then, do white wood blinds!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.