Houzz Logo Print
isixpacku

Galley sink vs Kohler Stages sink

isixpacku
hace 10 años

We are in the middle of the planning phase of our kitchen remodel. We will only be having one sink in our kitchen and it will be in the island. I was leaning towards the Kohler stages sink, which I found out about on GW, because of the functionality. I think the 45" one will be large enough that I can prep on one end while someone is doing clean up on the other side of the sink.

I mentioned the Stages sink to our KD and she told me to check out the Galley sink, which looks like a fancy version of the Stages sink. Several of her clients have installed it and loved it. I searched GW and the web for feedback on the Galley sink but couldn't find any. Has anyone installed the Galley sink recently?

I called a local kitchen and bath place which sells the Galley sink. They have only sold one so far and the owner was getting ready to put one in his personal kitchen. One of his colleagues whom sells the Stages and Galley sinks equated comparing the Stages to the Galley was like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. The colleague also said that he has had lots of complaints about the Stages sink scratching. Has anyone here had that issue? In all of the threads I read about the Stages sink I don't remember anyone complaining about it scratching.

If any of you have experience with the Galley sink, I would love to hear about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galley sink website

Comentarios (77)

• Maribeth
    hace 7 años

I love my Kohler Stages sink. No complaints. Beautiful workspace. Just the right size. Worth a look.

• cg1974
    hace 7 años

j6164, we are planning on installing our sink just like you did so that we can have two ledges. Do you have any idea much of that top ledge sticks out out from under the counter top?

Thank you!!

• Jessica Harvey
    hace 7 años

It's a 1/2 inch reveal on top and 1/2 inch reveal on bottom - so you need your counter top template to include an additional cut out of 1' front to back for your sized sink.

• Renea Sabbagh
    hace 6 años

what size is the custom cutting board you ordered from creategoodsinks ?

• Jessica Harvey
    hace 6 años

It was 17.25" x 18.50" x 1" thick. It was PERFECT!!!

• Renea Sabbagh
    hace 6 años

is this the 56" they sell? do you have two faucets or one?

• Jessica Harvey
    hace 6 años

I have one faucet with a long extendable neck that reaches the far end of the sink (which I usually just use as a drying rack unless I'm serving there). My sink is 4'.

• Renea Sabbagh
    hace 6 años

hey jessica, sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to figure this out before i blow money on the galley sink, i appreciate it. so you have the 46 inch one? i see your second ledge is deeper than the ones online, i only see the 56" with the deeper 2 inch second ledge online but looks like your model has it.;

• Jessica Harvey
    hace 6 años

The reveal on the countertop was made to 'make' a top ledge. :) It's a 1/2 inch reveal on top and 1/2 inch reveal on bottom - so you need your counter top template to include an additional cut out of 1' front to back for your sized sink.

• kawerkamp
    hace 6 años

Renea fyi, I believe Jessica's sink is the 50" one (48" interior width): https://www.creategoodsinks.com/collections/ledge-sinks/products/1-2-radius-ledge-50-single-bowl-sink-offset-drain-left-5ls50  I'm on the fence between the 50" or the 56" sink for my own kitchen. Love creategoodsinks and all the customized accessories Dan provides--seriously the single item I'm most excited about for my new house!!

• Renea Sabbagh
    hace 6 años

create good sinks company told me they only made the deep ledge for the 56" sink, but ill call again because their website shows it on the 50 inch too. the other size sinks are a more shallow ledge, which in my opinion is too close to the reveal ledge.

• kawerkamp
    hace 6 años

I had the same observation, but learned that they actually changed the specs--Jessica has one of the original 50" that had the deeper ledge. Later they changed to a shallower ledge on the 50" b/c most people just wanted a single ledge. However, when they designed the 56" sink last year, they did it with the deeper ledge b/c there were some consumers who really wanted to do the double ledge thing with a bit more clearance between the two ledges. Hope that helps!

• Renea Sabbagh
    hace 6 años

oh man! i wish he did the deeper ledge with all the sinks to mimic the galley brand functionality. sigh...

• kawerkamp
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I know--I felt the same way. However.....as I've seen more ledge sinks in use and talked to people who have them, I'm starting to wonder if I actually need/want two ledges. It all depends on how you envision yourself using two ledges at once, but for me, it was attractive primarily so I could chop produce on the top ledge and then sweep it into a salad bowl that is nested in the lower ledge. But one person I talked to said they do exactly that with just a single ledge, only they sit their bowl on the bottom of the sink (vs. nesting it in a lower ledge)--they felt they had all the same functionality, but it reduced the number of accessories/clutter (e.g., a ledge with a bowl-cutout) they needed and didn't limit them to containers/bowls that are specific to the cutouts in the ledge. How do you imagine wanting to use your sink for optimal functionality?

Jessica Harvey, as I'm on the fence re. one vs two ledges, could you comment on whether you've found two particularly useful? Are there tasks you ask of it that just wouldn't work as well if you only had one ledge?

• Renea Sabbagh
    hace 6 años

hmm... thats very interesting info

• Mary Payne
    hace 5 años
    Freckles- the video, although I could not understand, presented a beautiful sink and I liked the 3 ledges a lot. Has anyone in the us had it installed?
  • Aglitter
    hace 5 años

Thanks everyone for this great archive of information. It may also be helpful to some people to realize that The Galley and only a select few other brands manufacture their stainless steel sinks with 316 stainless steel vs. the 304 commonly used. The 316 is much more expensive which is where the added cost comes in with The Galley. 316 is marine-grade and resistant to salts and chlorine, potentially giving you years of extra life with the sink. That said, I'm still on the fence about whether the extra cost is worth it. If you keep a 304 sink rinsed out and aren't regularly dumping high concentrations of salty water into the sink, a 304 sink might suffice. In harsh conditions outdoors, both 304 and 316 can rust within a month if not properly maintained.

• elgable21
    hace 4 años

Hello all - sadly I don't have time to read all the interesting posts and see all the fun photos here anymore. I rarely have time to jump on... :( Gardenweb has been so good to me though, and I want to try to make time to answer any questions people have on the galley and create good sinks as I have both. I can't promise a quick answer, but if you have any specific questions that you can't find on this thread, speak up and I'll see if I can help :)

• PRO
    SOURCED INTERIORS
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

What amazing info! I was about to pull the trigger on the Franke culinary or chefs this morning but it isn't exactly what I need- then I saw this amazing thread. I need a cutting board and drying station most. I love square but I previously had a Kohler with sharp corners (love the look hated trying desperately to clean the very inner corners. Anyone have experience with Franke vs. the creategoodsinks, Kohler stages or Galley (crazy price point)?

• PRO
    SOURCED INTERIORS
    hace 4 años

@Dormelles THANK YOU SO MUCH for such a comprehensive response. I'm in a very expeditious research phase and your response could not have been more helpful. Hats off to such a considerate person. I'm checking out all of your recommendations and will update shortly and hopefully pay-it-forward.

• PRO
    SOURCED INTERIORS
    hace 4 años

@Dormelles one quick question... did you look at Franke?

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@SOURCED INTERIORS Yes, I did look at Franke early on but then decided on a workstation-style format and was unaware that they offered something like that. Among the non-custom brands, Kohler has a more prominent reputation than Franke for workstation sinks, but I was scared off from Kohler by reports of people seeing premature rust with them (you'll find a number of comments in numerous threads here at Houzz regarding that) and also from my own observation that the sink grid feet were cracked on at least two Kohler showroom samples I saw. A lot of people really seem to like Kohler, though, and haven't had any issues.

Any type of stainless steel can rust if not cared for properly, including the marine-grade 316 which is more resistant to rust from salts than the 304 grade. To care for a stainless steel sink of any type, you'll want to avoid prolonged contact with salts and acids such as vinegar, and you should never use chlorine bleach in the sink. Also, never use steel wool scouring pads on a stainless steel sink which will corrode it. You'll want to avoid leaving standing water in contact with the sink for long periods of time, and you can use various formulas for treating and protecting the sink like this stainless steel cleaner from John Boos, available through various retailers and similar to many other such products on the market. As mentioned in my previous comment, the purity of the stainless steel also plays a large part in rust resistance, and some companies lack transparency about this.

What drew me to Havens Metal for my sink purchase were several factors including the outstanding reviews of the brand here at Houzz, the better pricing compared to Rachiele, its nearest competitor (Havens used to manufacture Rachiele's sinks, by the way), and in particular the textured Prestige finish which hides water spots and scratches. I've not seen any other sink manufacturer that offers such a finish, and it is a game-changer when it comes to those features of stainless steel that can be problematic for some people. All of Havens welds are done underneath, so you won't see the sloppy weld marks on their sinks that you can occasionally see on The Galley. Also, all of Havens stainless steel sinks and accessories are now 316 grade. We're ordering new cabinets as part of the sink installation and plan to undemount the sink so that the cutting board surface sits at a height of 37 1/2" with a stone countertop above that for a countertop height of about 38 3/4". I'm 5'7" tall, and those working heights are good for me to help prevent back strain.

My sympathy goes out to you being ready to purchase and then at the last minute finding some new information. The same happened to me with a vent hood purchase, being within 30 minutes of purchasing something else and then finding more information here at Houzz that helped direct me elsewhere to a more effective design with better ventilation. I wish you the best in your ongoing research.

• PRO
    SOURCED INTERIORS
    hace 4 años

Thank you so much again @Dormelles!

• Mary Payne
    hace 4 años

While building and planning my kitchen I looked at the Julian, Galley, Kohler and Creategoodsinks. All are workstation sinks which I think that is the direction of high end kitchen sinks. It is after all only a kitchen sink and that is what led me to creategoodsinks. Their version of a workstation kitchen sink has all the amenities of the others without the price tag. I bought it and love it. No regrets. I did resently see a video on a Japanese sink that had 3 tiers in the bowl and that piqued my interest but I am happy with my purchase.

• Tiffany P
    hace 4 años

@Aglitter thank you for the great info. We are considering the Galley sink but I will take a look at Havens Metal. What type of vent hood did you go with at the last minute? We are doing a kitchen remodel too and will be getting a new vent hood. Thank you again.

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@Tiffany P This popular and stylish GE Monogram vent hood was the one I almost bought. Then I found several threads in which the user "kaseki" commented, and you can find them by searching for his name here at Houzz. He is an engineer from California and has done extensive research on kitchen ventilation. The basic idea he and others explain is that not only is a ducted hood valuable (versus a recirculating one) for the best ventilation, but also a hood that has an adequate under-hood capture area to hold the cooking effluent that may outpace the rate of the blower. This topic is so much more extensive than that, but that's a start for you.

We ended up with a Wolf vent hood that I found on sale as a display model. Lots of showrooms clearance these from time to time. The price difference between the GE and the Wolf on sale including the blower and duct cover was only $600 more for the Wolf with a much better shape for under-hood capture area. Also be aware that your jurisdiction may restrict the blower's CFM rating to a certain level (varies around the country) without a make-up air (MUA) system, which is expensive to install. Wolf has a lower-power blower option that fit with our jurisdiction's requirements which is why we focused on that brand. Other pro-style vent hoods usually start with more powerful blowers that require the MUA systems. Also be aware that for best extraction, you'll want the hood to measure at least 6 inches wider than your range. As I've researched kitchen renovations, I've found other people like myself who selected to make a workstation sink and a good vent hood the two big splurges for the kitchen. More than anything else, they directly effect the efficiency of your cooking processes.

• SK
    hace 4 años

We are planning a full kitchen remodel and I'm deep in the research. I had my heart set on the Galley (60" in a peninsula) but costs are mounting and I'm now looking at creategoodsinks. I'd love to hear any updates for those who chose one way or the other. We're planning a relatively high-end kitchen, but I also want to be reasonable in terms of allocating the budget and not be hung up on excessive trends. Eg. definitely going for a Wolf rangetop, ovens/dw Miele, but not sure whether to do built in fridge or not. Similarly, if people are happy with the quality and function of Galley alternatives, I'd be happy to go another comparable route - but still the workstation sink approach. Being in Canada, the prices hit us even harder.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    hace 4 años

SK - FWIW, we went with Rachiele a few years ago and we couldn't be happier. The mess stays in the sink and the counter keeps clean. I realize that it's expensive, but the low maintenance (just an occasional wipe) and clean counters make up the difference. (We saved on not replacing the fridge).

• bubblyjock
    hace 4 años

SK - have you had a chance to, um, fondle a Galley sink yet? There's at least one in a showroom here in Ottawa, and I took the opportunity to have a really good look at it and spend time using it. They are knock-offs of the Rachiele sinks, but they're missing a few small but essential details that will drive you beyond bonkers.

I spent a looong time choosing our sink, and ended up splurging on the fancy Rachiele copper workstation sink. It's his premium sink, and the price includes a whole array of extras. It does everything it says on the box, and more, and we LOVE it. I'd never go back to a regular sink. Dino's website is full of useful insights, and he's absolutely super to work with, by email and on the phone, as was everyone else in his office I dealt with. Great bunch of people who take pride in their work, and it shows.

He often has sales, and if you can make it to the border, you can pick it up in the USA and drive it across. I didn't have time, and the shipping was high, but not prohibitively so. And the crate was spectacular - I convinced all the trades people it was a coffin sitting out there in the garage, lol.

If you've got any more questions, fire away!

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@SK You sound like the perfect customer for a Julien workstation sink. They are made in Canada of impeccable materials with exacting standards and would be exempt from cross-border duty and tax for you.

• bubblyjock
    hace 4 años

Dormelles - the Julien workstation sink isn't a patch on the Rachiele sink. It's not as well thought through, there's less attention to detail and, comparing dimensions between Rachiele and Julien, there isn't much to be gained on price, either; Duty, etc, notwithstanding. Nor are they available in copper.

If the OP just wanted a plain stainless xl box sink, better to go to a local fabricator and buy the accessories online.

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@bubblyjock Thanks for the additional information on Julien. It is true as far as I'm aware that Julien doesn't produce copper sinks. My basis for recommending Julien's stainless steel sinks is the OP's Canadian location and the glowing review that Dino Rachiele himself, the owner of the Rachiele Custom Sinks company gives Julien on his own wesite under the heading, "What about stainless sinks? How do yours compare?" He wrote as follows, current as of November 18, 2019 (bold emphasis added):

". . . I have to say that we are not the only fine quaility stainless sink manufacturer in the world. I would put Julien Sinks, of Canada, in a somewhat similar quality range as ours. That being said, I have seen sinks built by other so-called Luxury brands have ripples in their stainless due to careless quality control. So . . . why buy a Rachiele stainless steel sink? First, the right or left rear drain is THE most important reason. . . . Secondly, our Millennia stainless is exclusive and helps to hide scratches and water spots. Thirdly, we offer a rustic matte stainless that looks just like zinc and is very easy to repair if scratched. This, to my knowledge, is unavailable elsewhere. But, if you find a right rear drain stainless sink that is made by one of the few quality stainless steel sink manufacturers, and it is less expensive than ours - buy it. Really!!! Julien, in Canada builds a great quality stainless steel sink. They are about the only company I can recommend other than mine. Now, if you are looking for a workstation sink, nobody builds one with a design even close to the functionality of my NexGen sink. There isn't even a close second."

• Anu Singh
    hace 4 años

Can someone please tell me if Rachiele stainless steel sinks compares to the Galley sink?
    We are looking into a 57.5 inch Galley sink
    ( Workstation 5) but want to save some money.
    Thanks

• Jerry Jorgenson
    hace 4 años

My opinion is that the Rachiele sink is better in design and can be customized to fit your specific needs. Dino is also great to work with. You get what you pay for.

• bubblyjock
    hace 4 años

I would second Jerry's conclusion. I spent a long time fiddling around with a Galley sink, and I wasn't as impressed in real life as I was by their marketing (which is excellent - well-illustrated, and informative). I took a leap of faith when I bought our Rachiele sink. I did a ton of research on it, too, and it's even nicer in real life than it is as illustrated on the somewhat quirky Rachiele website. Rachiele were beyond amazing to deal with - every person I talked or emailed with was friendly, knowledgeable and courteous.

From a usage perspective, the Rachiele design is much better. There are inherent flaws in the Galley sink that may drive you bonkers. Go play with them both if you can!

• Harry Doyle
    hace 4 años

what flaws are you referring to? (Researching sinks myself)

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@Harry Doyle and @Anu Singh, normally I wouldn't make a comment like this as it usually goes without saying, but both of you seem to be sincerely looking for information and would truly benefit from reading all of the comments in this thread. Please set aside some time to do so even though it may seem like a long read. Your questions have already been largely answered here.

• bonnie marcus
    hace 2 años

Has anyone used a Ruvatti work station . Trying to compare it to the galley never came across the Rachie. I am going to check it out.

• bonnie marcus
    hace 2 años

Rachiele

• Aglitter
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

I spent a while with a showroom Ruvati sink looking at all the detail, and it's a nice sink. I didn't like the Ruvati accessories quite as much as what the private brands Rachiele and Havens offer. It was ultimately my personal preference for accessories designs that drove my selection on the sink (Havens) with a few other manufacturing feature options as well that played a role. Sometimes sink accessories can be interchangeable among brands if the ledge measurements front-to-back are the same, but ideally you would want to be happy with the majority of accessories that are a brand match to the sink brand you select.

• bonnie marcus
    hace 2 años

Thank you.

• Roger Harris
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

We’ve had the 60” (5 ft) Galley sink with Galley Tap fixtures for over 2 years now and have been extremely happy with both the function and quality. We have ordered the 48” (4 ft) Galley sink with Galley Tap fixtures to install in our kitchen remodel in our vacation home this month.

• Usuario de Houzz-426144764
    hace 2 años

@bubblyjock just curious what were your issues with Galley sinks that would drive someone bonkers?

hace 2 años

@Aglitter I have now priced the galley, rachiele and haven metal 4' sinks. rachiele (next gen series) and haven (prestige finish) are similarly priced before adding any accessories. i tried my friend's haven accessories and they were way too heavy for me and not really the kind of accessories I want anyway. Rachiele's accessories were either expensive for what they were or not accessories i want. So i am left with either the Galley sink which comes with the accessories we want (which includes a cutting board that is long enough that the edges rest on the counter - my husband is concerned he will nick the counter when cutting if it rests on a ledge - he knows his limitations in life) or getting a haven ($4,300) or rachiele sink ($4,600) only without accessories (close to the cost of the galley including all accessories we need) and buying custom made accessories from somewhere else which seems like a huge hassle.

• Aglitter
    hace 2 años

The Galley's strength really is with accessories, so if you favor them, I would go with The Galley.

• kolo70
    hace 2 años

@rhenergy1gmailcom Thank you for sharing the photo. After using it, do you feel a drydock would be useful or not necessary at all. We're also looking at a 5' or 5'+18" drydock or 6'?? Any after thoughts? Thank you

• Roger Harris
    hace 2 años

We have the standard accessories that are provided with our 5' Galley sink (2 deck/cutting boards, two colanders, two mixing bowls, two platforms with round holes that can be used for colander or mixing bowl, one drying rack). All of them can be set level with the counter or turned 90 degrees and fits the lower rim that makes them about 3/4" below the counter level (all Galley accessories have this 90 degree feature which is unique and makes it more useful than some of the other brands.) Because you can put the drying rack or the cutting board/decks on the upper level, you can easily slide the wash basin or other bowl accessories underneath them on the lower ledge.

In addition we purchased the wash and serve set and the full bottom grate for both our Galley sinks. We use the wash basin every day and it substitutes as an ice bucket when we entertain and turn our sink into a wet bar. Personally after using this setup, we do not feel we would ever need the drydock with our sinks because the full bottom grate provides another level of drying with the upper drying rack. The full bottom grate is a must for us and extremely useful for drying larger pots and pans, vegetables and provides a much larger drying surface than the drydock would. We would also highly recommend the wash and serve set. We did not purchase any other accessories and so far have found this set up to be perfect.

We looked at other fixtures since the Galley Tap fixtures were more expensive than Kohler and some other brands, but are very happy that we chose the Galley Taps because the spigots are specially designed to center on the sink and the soap dispenser is long enough to put soap far enough away from the side of the sink to reach the wash basin easily. The hot/cold tap also extends nicely away from the side of the sink so that we are able to fill pitchers and teapots as well as single serving mugs and glasses easily. The Galley Taps were well worth the investment and look beautiful -- easy to keep clean and shiny. (We have two faucets in our 5' sink and one in our 4' sink in our vacation home.)

hace 2 años

@Roger Harris we will be ordering a 4’ galley and would appreciate if you posted a picture of your 4’ one with the work accessories in it. do you remove any of the accessories in order to wash the pots and leave them drying? did yours come with the 12” upper deck section they now include which rests on top of the counter? did you get their disposal flange strainer too?

• Aglitter
    hace 2 años

The drydock is usually only useful if you need to put something underneath one side of the sink, like a dishwasher. Otherwise, it makes more sense to get the full-depth sink and use accessories to make platforms as needed. Most people who have a large workstation sink leave at least some of the accessories in full time. Space and storage becomes a challenge when you try to clear out all the accessories, and it isn't necessary if the sink is large enough.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.