Houzz Logo Print
samlinc_gw

Stainless Steel countertop - raw seams

samlinc
hace 13 años

I've had a long L stainless countertop fabricated, and I'm surprised to see the seams are raw rather than welded. Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with raw seams? I'm concerned about water infiltration, sharp edges, etc. Is there any way they can be welded after they're glued to the substrate? Thanks!!

Comentarios (5)

• daiv
    hace 13 años

The seams should always be finished and sealed, both for looks, as well as to prevent moisture from infiltrating. Welded seams would be best of course and done properly, the look is amazing.

As far as fixing it, there is always a way to fix things. depending on your situation, the solution may come down to $$$. talk to the fabricator and see what he says. but if you ordered an L shaped, there is no reason it can't be finished properly.

• viggen651_aol_com
    hace 13 años

In most cases you want to have a finished seam. If it's possible to weld the seam then that's ideal. Pending on the substrate (plywood, mdf, particle board)... you may not be able to weld the seam due to fire concerns. The other option is to run a silicone bead and flatten it out to ensure a water tight finish. The following site has some more information regarding stainless counters.

http://www.metalcountertops.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless Counters

• PRO
    Hudson Custom Fabrication
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

This is an old thread but I figured I'd add my $0.02. It is extraordinarily difficult to do a flat welded seam without causing warping in the stainless. And it is absolutely a bad idea to do after the countertop is glued down, due to fire risk. The best solution is to use gray silicone caulk along the seam. We do this with the countertops we fabricate and get a very nice look without risking the heat warpage that would come with welding.

• ed4almas
    hace 6 años

They put a silicone puddy on my seam and it looks horrible.

We are not accepting this. They are suppose to be experts I don't see why this is even an issue.

We pay a lot of money to have it done right and they are trying not to eat the mistake.

• User
    hace 6 años

Silicone putty is a bad idea. However, they could use a stainless steel epoxy which would end up looking very like the metal as it would have fine steel particles embedded in it.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.