Houzz Logo Print
dibgar_gw

SmartStrand Silk vs TruSoft by Tuftex or Shaw?

dibgar
hace 11 años

We are looking for carpet for bedrooms, upper hallway and stairs; and we may want to put in the livingroom, as well.

We like the soft feel of SmartStrand Silk (style name Peaceful Mood) but I've heard mixed reviews and our flooring store said that at least two complaints have been filed involving the Silk version of Smartstrand. Most complaints seem to be about abrasion on the soft fibers from vacuuming. I've read that adjusting the beater bar helps; but even with the right vacuum, will we regret this soft fiber in the long run?

As an alternative, we are looking at Tuftex TruSoft which is a Stainmaster nylon. The sample feels soft and the price is comparable or a bit less expensive, but color selection is limited. I understand that parent company Shaw has a wider selection of colors also made with TruSoft fibers, so I will check out that display tomorrow.

How does SmartStrand Silk compare with TruSoft by Tuftex or Shaw? Which will wear better and look good in the long-run?

Our contractor intends to use a rubber pad under whatever carpet we choose.

Before I go back to the store, what other variables should I consider and what questions should I ask?

Comentarios (21)

• dibgar
    Autor original
    hace 11 años

The Tuftex TruSoft sample I felt the other day certainly felt good. Since it is a soft fiber, will it experience any of the problems that people complain about with Smartstrand Silk?

We've been looking for a solid color and all of the Tuftex TruSoft options seem to have flecks of several shades. Today I am going to look at some solid colors in the Shaw line of TruSoft.

Is Tuftex TruSoft just a higher end name or are those carpets actually better quality than TruSolft sold under the Shaw label?

• Floortech
    hace 11 años

I would say that the quality control is perhaps higher under the Tuftex name. They do claim to have the lowest manufacturer claim ratio in the industry. No way to prove that. I will tell you that the vacuum complaints just arent there on the Nylons (Tuftex) like they are with Smartstrand. I have instructed my people to spell it out in plain language regarding the major smartstrand complaints regarding vacuuming. SmartStrand now recommends a vacuum that supposedly makes it easier to push through. If I am buying carpet today, it would be nylon and Trusoft would be on my shortlist. Smartstrand would be off the list. This race to be the softest product imaginable may be beginning to backfire. There may be a point where really really soft is too soft to maintain properly. Mohawk rep has recently told me ...no Dysons. It wrecks the fiber in Smartstrand. I have not heard this from a Shaw rep or bulletin. PS my wife swears by the Dyson she recently bought..and she has tried many top of line Vacs. AI think she has a vacuum fetish.

• nober47
    hace 11 años

Lightweight vacuums push across Silk with ease - Oreck makes a great vacuum that cleans well and is not too agressive for any fiber. It doesn't have adjustable height or beater bar. I have Silk in my whole home and have an Oreck (black and blue - not sure of model). To get the facts on good vacuums visit the third party indepedent agency - Carpet and Rug Institute @ www.carpet-rug.org This is who works with all of the manufacturers for testing, support, and maintainence solutions.

The store that I purchased my carpet from sells a lot of different brands of carpet. The one thing that helped me make an informed decision was the sales person that actually took the time to explain everything about how the carpet was constructed, what the fiber is, what its properties were, and how to care for the carpet after installation.

The salesperson was very upfront with me and mentioned that he was spiffed - paid extra to sell a Shaw nylon on the wall - but was not going to let that sway his decision to "push" a product on me. I'm sure all companies do that, but it really reflected a poor light on Shaw. Knowing that they have to pay people to "push" their products on consumers throws up a red flag.

I felt like I was taken care of and the SmartStrand just made sense to me. It is manufactured in an environmentally-friendly way. They use plant sugars to make 37% of the fiber content. Part of the backing was made using recycled gas from a landfill, and there were NO chemicals applied to it for stain resistance. The "green" thing isn't all that important to me, but every little bit helps.

The sales person said there wasn't a place in my home other a kitchen or a bathroom he wouldn't recommend puting SmartStrand. He said there wasn't really any downside to SmartStrand, but there were trade-offs with Nylon products. The trade-off was stain resistance because the solution R2x (what chemical is that???) can wear off wareas nothing can wash or wear off of the SmartStrand. Nylon was a solution dyed fiber that had to be "stained" to color it, therefore explaining that it is possible to stain it with hot coffee, wine, or mustard. It seemed to me that SmartStrand carpet is ahead of the times and like I said it just made perfect sense to me to purchase that carpet because there were NO trade-offs.

• niteshadepromises
    hace 11 años

There perhaps isn't a tradeoff for *you* but anyone that doesn't want their vacuum choice dictated by their carpet choice is in a very different position. I'm glad you're happy with your carpet tho! Myself I would be pretty miffed to spend a large amount of money on carpeting only to find that 80% of vacuums either damage it or flat out don't work on it. I don't care how soft or stain resistant it can be, thats just where my priorities lie.

• DIYguy_FL
    hace 11 años

I personally dont feel like there's a tradeoff with a carpet that doesnt stain, is durable and the softest I've felt. And that would be SmartStrand. I did a little digging on the Mohawk website to see how they suggest to handle the carpet. Here's what I found:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/care-maintenance/carpet-care.aspx

There's a link devoted to vacuum info, seems very reasonable to me:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/pdf/Selecting%20the%20Right%20Vacuum.pdf

• LAdancer
    hace 9 años

I wonder if anyone has recent experience with Smart Strand Silk vs. Smart Strand Sorona by Mohawk? Is the Smart Strand Sorona more dense? It seems to have more favorable ratings than the Silk collection. I would think that the Smart Strand would be soft enough and wonder if it is denser than the Silk line so any help on this would be appreciated. The color samples I got from the store do not match any color names on the Mohawk site. Why? Thank you!

• kingadrian
    hace 8 años

Just received different samples of Dixie Home patterned carpet (Tempting) and Mohawk Smartstrand patterned carpet (Council Gardens). Both are in light green color. Did the stain test. Spilled milk, ketchup, pomegranate juice on both of them. Immediately blot with paper towels, scrub with cold water.

Results: Mohawk carpet looks un-stained. Dixie Home (Stainmaster BCF Nylon) shows the ketchup stain. Not very bad, but you can tell.

I like how the Mohawk carpet cleans so well, I do have a 3 year old and a 14 year old boys. So the Mohawk Smartstrand really appeals to me.

However, I like how dense the Dixie Home carpet is. It's so tightly packed together, whereas the Mohawk felt a bit looser. Of course, the carpet from Dixie has a Density of 5000 and the Mohawk's density is only in the 3000.

So I think if you are worried about regular everyday stains and spills, Mohawk would be best. Honestly I still can't decide...:)

• skintech1
    hace 8 años

We purchased Tuftex Bling - Antique Tin for our living room. And although crazy beautiful, after one year, the yarns are untwisting. We use a vacuum that does not have a roller. At this point, I regret the carpet purchase (and it was a very expensive purchase, not to mention a hassle to move furnishings for the install). Additionally, the carpet always looked "smashed" no matter how much it is vacuumed. This carpet will only work in a room that is to be admired but not used!

• PRO
    Carpet Direct
    hace 8 años

For those following this thread, please know that SmartStrand is a polyester fiber; therefore it will attract oily stains that cannot be removed. It will not wear well and matting will occur quickly. Regardless of any trademarked name for carpet fiber, make sure what you buy is 100% nylon if you want long-lasting performance. A good quality pad is also essential to extend the life and performance of your carpeting.

• PRO
    Carpet Direct
    hace 8 años

For a good resource to learn about the performance of carpet fibers such as nylon and SmartStrand, do some searching through Truck Mount Forums, a forum used by professional carpet cleaners: https://www.truckmountforums.com/.

• skintech1
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

BLING CARPET IS STILL A BUST!

We are still awaiting the outcome of a twist test from Tuftex on our BLING carpet. Enough time has gone by that I am concerned that our claim will fall into a dark hole! So if you are purchasing Tuftex, I recommend you review the warranty carefully and make sure you the company you purchase from will go to battle for you, if needed. This photo shows the untwisting that can occur, even with a non-roller vacuum.

• PRO
    Carpet Direct
    hace 8 años

Skintech1, I know you are going through a tough time with your carpet. I hate to see that. Your comment about who you purchase it from is right on target. Carpet Direct is among the top 10 distributors for Shaw n America. If my customers have a defect or warranty claim on their carpet or other flooring, I initiate the claim with our manufacturers rather than my customer having to do that.. We have 100% success in resolving claims to the benefit of our customers, provided that there has been no issue with voiding a warranty. I also register the warranties for all of my customers to ensure that they are covered by the warranty from the date of their installation. I love the Bling carpet from Tuftex, and sincerely hope that you get this issue resolved. Is it possible for you to go to the company or person that sold you the carpet and request the name of their Shaw sales rep?

• skintech1
    hace 8 años

The Shaw rep is the one handling the testing and claim process. My carpet company was hands on and efficient with assisting up with the start of the claim but as I understand it, it is ultimately up to the Shaw rep to move the claim through Shaw.

• pottsey
    hace 7 años

Oh good Lord! As if I wasn't already torn between the Tuftex and the Mohawk SmartStrand carpet. After reading these earlier comments I am really baffled! Originally I started my search for carpet by looking at nylon only since I heard that it is much better than polyester for wear and tear. But I happened into another carpet store today that carries both Karastan (Mohawk) and Shaw and the sales person seemed to push me towards the SmartStrand carpet. She wanted to show me the Karastan carpet that has been underfoot in their store for the last 10 years. She proceeded to push a heavy display fixture out of the way so that I could see how the carpet sprung back. It was amazing! Plus she pointed out that the SmartStrand's stain protection never washes out, while the Shaw Stainmaster protection washes out after 3 professional carpet cleanings.

I am so confused on which way to go. And I need to make a decision quickly since I will be moving into my new home soon. The former owner left me with a surprising welcome gift---183 square yards of dog-urine stained carpeting. It was so filthy that I gagged several times while pulling it up and dragging it out to the garage. So I will be replacing all of that filthy floor covering with new carpet and my head is spinning as to which choice to make. Although my head could still be spinning from inhaling the very strong shellac that I had to use to "seal" any dog urine odors from making their way up from the sub floor. UGH!

• PRO
    Carpet Direct
    hace 7 años

pottsey, you have been misinformed by this salesperson! I wonder if she is not well-versed on carpet fibers, or if she has a financial incentive to sell you a SmartStrand carpet. Stainmaster carpet comes with a lifetime warranty against all organic stains (from a plant or an animal source). Example: Wood, furniture stain, mustard, coffee, mold, tea, urine, blood, vomit, inks, etc.

Stainmaster 6,6 nylon fiber is the best fiber for your carpet - hands down.

• kddesigns2022
    hace 7 años

Need some opinions please... I would like to purchase the Tuftex Only Natural carpeting/stairwell treads for my 2 stairwells and a runner for the hallway. Pretty pricey quotes I got and I am ok with them IF the product is that good and will stand the test of time. Need some opinions from individuals that have purchased this line for their stairwell. Thank you!

• zumbakatz70
    hace 6 años

I have 2power wheelchairs in my home and I am leaning towards the karastan grand form silk or tuftex rascal. Since the chairs are so hard on carpet, I am looking for most crush resistance. Still looking for comfort as one client also crawls on floor. Any advice is appreciated

• Emmy Dickins
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Has anyone installed the Tuftex First In Class carpet? It seems to meet my criteria for a dense, low pile that will hopefully wear well and not develop a matted down traffic Area... but I'm not finding many customer reviews. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

• PRO
    Shaw Floors
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Hi @EmmyDickins, First in Class carpet from our Tuftex collection would certainly meet the dense, low pile qualifications that you are looking for. In addition, all of our carpets have R2X, our stain and soil resistance system that protects carpet fibers from dirt and spills. This will allow your carpet a long life and will keep it looking great for years to come. There are 18, beautiful and plush color and style options for you to choose from. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

• Nancy Gianakas
    hace 2 años

Karastan's True Admiration or Tuftex Perfect Choice? Any imput would be much appreciated. Thank you

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.