Houzz Logo Print
thejbexperience

Why did my lilies drop all their petals?

thejbexperience
hace 17 años

I purchased some hybrid lilies from Lowes last week. I transferred them to bigger pots and kept them on my patio. I watered them everyday, and in a few days, all the petals dropped off every flower, and all the buds that I thought would bloom fell off too. What gives? Will the plants be okay? What do I do?

Comentarios (16)

• lilydude
    hace 17 años

The container mix may have completely dried out before you bought the plants. If the bulbs are still sound, let them chill for the winter, and see what happens next spring. Don't let them dry out, just keep the mix slightly moist over the winter. Or plant them in the garden.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    hace 17 años

It takes a lot of energy for plants to bloom, by transferring them to different pots you may have disturbed them enough that they lost their petals and buds. Wait and see what happens next summer.

• lilydude
    hace 17 años

I read somewhere that a big temperature change will shock the plants and cause them to lose their flower buds.

• thejbexperience
    Autor original
    hace 17 años

Thanks for your help. A few buds have grown back but dried up and fell off quick.

How do I prune my lily? I cut off the part where the buds started on a few stem because they left some shrivelled up thing that I didn't think would ever bloom.

I really don't know what I'm doing here and haven't been able to find much info on the web about the lilies. The people at Lowe's didn't know either.

• philomena
    hace 17 años

You don't really prune lillies. If you do get some flowers, all you would do it pinch off the seed pod after the flower had dropped it's petals, but you should let all the leaves alone - they continue to feed the bulb for next year's growth.

Note that you may have also over-watered the plant - that can cause the same type of symptoms as under-watering. Here's a link to some info about growing lilies in pots: http://www.plantlilies.com/read/pots.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful Lily Info:

• swtcountrygrl
    hace 17 años

Are lillies supposed to keep their flowers and for how long. I had the same problem. I bought some at Lowe's a couple of weeks ago and they fell off too. I am guessing by what I am reading they aren't going to bloom any more this season?

• buyorsell888
    hace 17 años

Potted Lilies only bloom for about a week. If they were in full bloom when you bought them, they may be done. To enjoy potted lilies longer, buy when in bud, not bloom.

They only bloom once a season. Plant then in the ground, they will bloom next year and they do bloom longer in the ground than in small pots.

I've planted many spent potted lilies over the years, I used to be a florist. Now, I go around and buy them for half price from others.

• opticalbug2010
    hace 7 años

I had the same problem I bought Asiatic lilies from Lowe's they were in full bloom and I was watering them twice a day it was really really hot in the eighties and after about two weeks the flowers dried up and fell off so I don't know what's going to happen to him I'm assuming from what I read that it will be next year before they bloom again

• PRO
    Chosen Interiors
    hace 7 años

I am experiencing the same problem. I bought my lilies from Lowe's about a month ago after a few weeks all the petals fell off and nothing has come back.

I continue to water them they are planted in the ground, the green leaves are doing well, just no flowers.

I am hoping that they will come back again next year.

thank you for all of your advice

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    hace 7 años

Lilies only flower once a season. You won't get any more blooms now until next year.

• PRO
    Chosen Interiors
    hace 7 años

so I thought they lasted longer. What is the normal period for the lily bloom once my plant is established? Is it like a tulip and the life span is short?

• Alan Limpkin
    hace 7 años

Some lilies need acidic compost and some need alkaline compost .

You may have used the wrong compost .

If you know the variety of lilly you have put the name into Google and read about it .

Dig up the plant and see if it is still alive if so try again with the right compost/.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 7 años

Individual lily flowers only last a few days at best and the hotter the weather the faster they fade. But they tend to produce multiple blooms on well established plants and so the flowering period for the entire plant is often longer. But 2-3 weeks is about it :-) You can extend your lily season by selecting different types of lilies with differing bloom times - Asiatics tend to bloom first, followed by orientals, then the orienpets.

Most hybrid lilies - the orientals and asiatic types and the orienpets - are not fussy about soil type. Average garden soil with a slightly acidic to slightly basic pH (6.0-8.0) is fine for all. What they really require is good drainage, without exception.

As long as your soil drains well, there is no need to dig them up. They are just finished blooming for the season. Leave the stems and foliage in place to ripen and dry - this will nourish the bulb for next season. They will come back again next spring and bloom on schedule :-)) Once planted and established, lilies are pretty care-free garden dwellers.......unless you are plagued by lily beetles or deer :-(

• PRO
    Southern Care Design
    hace 5 años
    Thank you for this post! I'm having this same issue with my Lily's this year.
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

It isn't really an 'issue'. It's just what Lilies do naturally.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.