Houzz Logo Print
judy0316

What do you think of this sofa?

judy0316
hace 11 años
My decorator insists that this is the sofa we should put in our new home. It is a Flexsteel, I think he is saying it is a "leather blend". Each end piece is a recliner. This is so extremely comfortable but I am having trouble getting past the way it looks. I was really wanting a low back sofa, more of a transitional type, but never found one that was comfortable. When you look at this sofa, does it look cheap and tacky? The picture shows it in the furniture showroom.

Comentarios (49)

• michigammemom
    hace 11 años
    If this sofa is bonded or bicast leather, I would hesitate to make the investment as these products do not wear well. From a personal preference standpoint the modified waterfall back style has a more masculine, bachelor pad look to it.
  • judy0316
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi Michigammemom, thanks so much for the quick reply. Would love for peoplel to post their most comfortable leather sectional brands. The room really needs a sectional, we love leather and this is the only one I've sat on that really feels comfy.
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

CERRADO - 7 de diciembre: GANA una tarjeta de 50€ de Boho Deco Shop

Q

(408) comentarios
    ¡Gracias a todos por participar! El sorteo está cerrado. Anunciaremos el ganador en unos días :) Como sabéis podéis participar también en otros sorteos. Aquí podéis verlos todos: [Calendario de adviento Houzz[(https://www.houzz.es/consejos/calendario-de-adviento-houzz-25-sorteos-1-regalo-nuevo-cada-dia-dsvw-vd~4307768?n=30)
    ...Ver más

What ducting is the best for a kitchen?

Q

(0) comentarios
    The choice of ducting depends on the type of configuration required in your kitchen. We recommend: - Flexible ducting for direct venting - Rigid ducting in cases of a decrease in cross-section, involving one or more curves. In this case, the ducting will also decrease the noise generally created by extendable corrugated tubing. What do you think?
    ...Ver más

What is CFM?

Q

(11) comentarios
    Muchas gracias por contestarme a las dos, si me decanto por el agua marina mejor ké el gris, no, no voy a poner nada en esa pared, porque, es ké no Le puedo hacer una foto a la habitación entera, porque la cocina está metida, dentro del salón y con el sofá pues nos pasamos un pokitin de grande y se come el salón y los muebles de la cocina son enteros hasta el techo, para ké me crupier an más cosas y el mueble de TV me lo están haciendo a medida y lo ké puedo lo pongo hasta el techo, porque el espacio no me sobra, así ké dejando esa pared sin nada, es como ké kita la pesadez...
    ...Ver más

Chair mod. Valencia

Q

(0) comentarios
    what do you think about it?
    ...Ver más
  • flameworker
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Hi Judy, would you believe my new leather sofa just arrived today? http://www.barileatherfurniture.com/palliser-430/palliser-dane-9176/palliser-dane-reclining-sectional-5832.html
    Both my mother-in-law and sister-in-law have Palliser 100% leather recliner chairs and I was very impressed by the quality and workmanship, so I decided to buy a recliner and recliner sofa. I bought the chair locally, but purchased the sofa online from Bari Leather. Palliser has many styles and configurations available and a whole range of colors to choose from. I would highly recommend getting color swatches--the computer doesn't come close to the real thing.
  • tsudhonimh
    hace 11 años
    ewww ... it looks like those dreadful 80s poufy sofas that you see on Craigslist. Keep sitting on sofas until you finf one you like the looks of.

"blended or "bonded" or "bicast" ;leather is just ground-up leather in in a plastic bonding agent ... not real.
  • charleee
    hace 11 años
    I have to admit, I would keep looking if I were you.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    hace 11 años
    Look further than this Monstrous one .
  • pcwatkins
    hace 11 años
    So funny, I am in the same boat. I started looking at pics months ago in preparation for purchasing new family room furniture. I was dead set on low back leather, southwestern sofa and love seat. I did not even think of sitting on the sofas that are designed for the "man cave" , however, I sat on one and fell in love with the comfort. It is nothing like I had my heart set on. I went back to sit on the one I had picked and realized how uncomfortable it was. We spend a lot of time as a family in this room and I think comfort will over rule looks. I think the flexsteel is the frame and is suppose to be very durable, a friend of mine has one and loves it.
  • sondramartina
    hace 11 años
    I would find another decorator! :)
    I would not buy that sofa .It is not even real leather and it looks horrible!
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    I have to agree with sondramartina. I question the aesthetic judgment and taste of any designer who is recommending this sofa to you. I'm not usually this blunt, but I really think it is terribly unattractive.
  • charleee
    hace 11 años
    It actually looks used, or "previously owned"!
  • judy0316
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks everyone. Your comments are most appreciated. I did turn away from this and still looking for something else. I just could not get past the aesthetics of this thing no matter how comfortable. Found a really comfortable leather sectional at Ethan Allen and contemplating that one. It looks sleek, has a low back and plenty of space to play with different pillows.
  • charleee
    hace 11 años
    judy0316 - good move.
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    Sleek and low back sounds good. There are so many ugly sectionals out there, but there are also some really lovely sleek and minimalist ones that can be very comfortable. It's a big enough investment that you want it to be both beautiful and inviting to sit on.
  • pattib100
    hace 11 años
    Keep on looking -- both for a new sofa and a new decorator. I can't imagine a decorator suggesting that you buy this sofa. Look for a sofa that has sleeker lines (it doesn't have to be modern but it does need to stand the test of time). A new sofa is an investment and you want to make sure that it doesn't look dated in a year or two. The suggested sofa looks like it is something from the 80's and it wasn't even a good luck then. Keep looking - you'll find something better and one that you'll be happier with.
  • lauriels
    hace 11 años
    I personally don't like it. I agree that it looks a little cheap and it screams bachelor pad for sure! Did you happen to try lazyboy? They have some comfy sectionals and alot of different fabrics and leather. Do not let someone talk you into something that you don't love. You are the one that has to live with it. Also maybe you should shop for a different decorator. Good luck
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    As a Designer, I cannot imagine recommending this sofa to anyone! Good move on sticking with your gut feeling and moving on. Ethan Allen makes a very nice product, so you're headed in the right direction. A couple other vendors I would recommend are; Elite Leather, American Leather and Hancock & Moore. The first 2 are more contemporary with sleeker lines, and the latter has both contemporary and more transitional frame options. All are 100% real cowhide and will last generations. Don't be fooled by biproduct or "pleather", it won't last a year without cracking and splitting at high friction points. If you would like any more information, please contact us at Gabberts. And again, great job moving on!
  • bagozziclan
    hace 11 años
    I would also find another decorator. That sofa looks cheap to me and those horrid "lips" in the middle. Actually "lips" is a way nicer term than what originally first came to my mind, but it has to do with a bodily function. I would have nightmares. I like Arhaus and Pottery Barn leather, but it's pricey. More budget conscious try LazyBoy.
  • PRO
    Roots and Rafters
    hace 11 años
    Run. Away.

From the sofa, and also from the decorator. Your decorator has no right to push you into purchasing pieces that you don't think you can live with, and would be wrong for the space.

I've had a very good experience with Ethan Allen real leather furniture, as others have mentioned. Is there any reason why you're considering a sectional in particular? A couch and loveseat actually allow for more seating area (oddly enough) -- because no one actually wants to sit in that corner seat on a sectional, since his/her knees will jab straight into their neighbor's legs!

Here are a few options for couches that might match your taste.
  • sondramartina
    hace 11 años
    @ bagozziclan Nightmares from those "lips" LOL

@ Judy0136 ,try google -images for sectionlas ,you can find tons of designs and ideas to see what you like and then try to find similar one in stores!
  • PRO
    HappyChoiceLife
    hace 11 años
    You also could try http://www.restorationhardware.com or http://www.zgallerie.com they have low back modern and very comfortable choices for sofas. and you can choose the fabric. if your decorator pushes you to get something you don't like.... fire him(her)
  • waybetter
    hace 11 años
    I agree with your view on this piece. I may have a solution for you, if interested i will send u some of my ideas
  • waybetter
    hace 11 años
    I agree with your view on this piece. I may have a solution for you, if interested i will send u some of my ideas
  • waybetter
    hace 11 años
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    Oh, Roots, you are so wrong about the corner of the sectional (at least in our TV room)! That corner is the spot everyone fights for! It is the most comfy space to curl up in, and I worry it will get worn out faster. I also have to say that much as I love our traditional sofas in other rooms, we fit two adults, a teenager, and two dogs cuddled up on our relatively small L shaped sectional, with everyone's legs happily sprawled over everyone else's--much preferable for family togetherness than the more isolated seating of a sofa and love seat.
  • judy0316
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Love the "Lips" comment and I have to say, I was thinking it looked like a Sumo Wrestler whose belly button collapsed...NASTY!
    Loving everybody's ideas and recommendations. Love this website!!!
    I am attaching an overhead view of the room I have to re-do so you can see my limitations. The room is 16 wide and 20 long with windows running down back wall (20 ft wall).
    The fireplace is centered on the short wall and there is a 6 foot doorway next to the fireplace. We will be putting a big screen on the other side of the fireplace which lines up with the non-windowed corner you are looking down into. To me that just needs a sectional in that corner but as you can see, I do not have a lot of room to work with as far as space. We do not do a lot of entertaining so no need for an extravagant amount of seating.
    These are pictures of when we bought the house. I haven't started anything yet except I did have the den walls painted SW Intellectual Gray. Trying to get a neutral thing going on where I can just change pillows and art for color. Want to keep it simple with just some great art and clean line, comfortable furniture...I think.
    I love the linen looking sofas but I feel that with my family, I really need leather for it's durability and ease of cleaning.
    So here's your challenge...now that you see the room (and don't worry, I know the fireplace is hideous but with the right creativity, this could be a cool room - the backyard is fabulous), please give me your ideas.
  • judy0316
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    F.T. DeZign - love the Zgallerie website!
  • PRO
    Roots and Rafters
    hace 11 años
    Perhaps it's just because I don't have a large family, feeny. :) We mostly have adults over as guests, and while I love my friends, a sectional is a bit too much togetherness!
  • PRO
    Artist Frame Gallery
    hace 11 años
    agree - I hate these style of sofas- surely there is a comfortable more sleek sofa out there- look slike the one's on TV- with built in coolers for your beer while watching sports...sorry......It feels to large for the space- there are really nice smaller scal sectional out there- Henredon has the fireside series all custom- arms, base, you can get it by the inch.....check them out
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    @Roots: I totally understand, and prefer regular sofas and chairs in my living room for entertaining guests. Our TV room is purely a family space (and the only place where the dogs are allowed on the furniture), which is why the sectional gets such cosy usage.
  • bagozziclan
    hace 11 años
    I think that sectional your designer is pushing on you is way to big and puffy for that room. You need something scaled down or else lips and all will engulf that room. I think a sectional will work but you just need to find the right one. I agree with you a lower back would work. I'd rather see a sectional where you can put a sofa table behind one side off the wall a bit and you can add some interesting visual height behind the sofa. Maybe your decorator was going for height to fill up the 2 story ceilings? Looks like some nice molding in your house, why on earth did someone put that fireplace in that particular spot with no character? I guess it must work for the other side of the wall. Are these walls going to be repainted?
  • elcieg
    hace 11 años
    I am all for Flexteel. It is a wonderful product, sturdy, tough, a good warranty, but this one is waaaaay toooooo big! Take a look at the Digby in the kashmira fabric. It may be something you like, a lot.
  • Reader Area Development, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    That is a hideous couch. It doesn't really look like it would go with the rest of the house, granted it's not finished.

The extremely awkward placement of the fireplace doesn't help matters, but I'd put some sort of book case alongside of that. I would put a full-size linen couch along the long wall. End table and lamp by the doorway. Linen loveseat in the middle of the room facing the wall opposite of the fireplace. TV of course would go on a console table on that wall. On the wall with windows I would place a leather chair + ottoman side table and floor lamp. That way that doesn't take up the great view to the outdoors.

That should offer a lot of seating with functionality all the while giving you a mix of styles you like. I would even consider removing the wall the fireplace is on. That thing is not adding value, looks like it was an afterthought during construction, and at least then you would have a more open floor plan.
  • pcwatkins
    hace 11 años
    Judy 0316, LMAO, It does look like a sumo wrestlers belly button, that will be the first thing I look for when shopping for my next sofa.
    wow, I thought my room was a design challenge. It is the same measurements as yours with different window and door placement. I will have to agree with you L-shape is looking like your best option. However, I originally thought the belly button sofa was not that bad. I am a visual person, so this site is so much help. Good luck.
  • love2deco8
    hace 11 años
    I'm glad to hear you've changed your mind about this sofa. It has a rough and over bearing look to it. We jut purchased a cream bonded leather sectional. Check out this site www.gowfb.com "Sacramento Cream leather sofa by Urban Cali" and it has clean cut lines, as well as it being very comfortable. You don't necessarily need to buy a reclining one for comfort. The one we have is bonded leather, and for those who think it looks cheap, not true. When you have small kids, bonded is the best way to go. Check out this site, it might give you some ideas. Good luck an hope it all works out for you :)
  • judy0316
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Gotten incredibly helpful feedback. Now looking more into the Ethan Allen Richmond Sectional in leather which could actually sit in there 3 ways (corner, short wall, or window wall {window wall not my favorite idea...that was the hubby's}). And there is the Chadwick tufted sofa at Ethan Allen that we could do in leather that I think would be a "wow" piece with a sofa table behind it, maybe 3 arched mirrors and lamps behind as well. I am so excited and thankful for everybody's help. Still going to make a trip to New Orleans next week and run over to Baton Rouge to check out zgalleries as suggested by F.T. DeZign. Ethan Allen has awesome pillows, however, they are extremely expensive but the softness and comfort of the fabrics they are showing me are amazing. I think they are a linen blend but soft as a baby blanket. HAPPY WEEKEND TO EVERYBODY AND HAPPY FALL!!! Life is good!
  • lefty47
    hace 11 años
    HI -- I can not believe a good designer would pick something like this . Flexsteel is usually a good brand and I have had a sofa from them but I got it over 35 yrs. ago , so not sure of quality today . And I have had Palliser and will not ever get that brand again - it was an exspensive mistake. Keep looking and if you find something you think you like then get it on approval , so it can be returned if you don't like it in the room. Good luck on the hunt and remember to have your mesurements of the space where it will go ... and the door openings of the house .
  • judy0316
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    thank you
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    hace 11 años
    1990 called, it wants its sofa back. Smith Brothers makes beautiful furniture as well, in Indiana, no online catalog but worth a look if offered in your area. http://www.smithbrosfurn.com/about/
  • sondramartina
    hace 11 años
    @judy0316,
    Maybe you already know but for everybody else who is not so familiar with buying leather furniture there are many different grades of leather, top grain is the best but most expansive. Some are cheaper, thinner..... In some places they go by numbers 1000,2000.....5000 higher number means better quality . Don't be fooled by word Bonded leather,leatherette,vegan leather e.t.c is not leather and it can not last as long. Real leather looks better as it gets older, fake stuff doesn't. Good luck and happy purchase. Let us know.
    :-)
  • nina47
    hace 11 años
    Hi there,

I'm sorry to say that this sofa seems to me to be the epitome of bad taste. Does your designer has shares in the company? Whatever you do, don't buy it!
  • PRO
    Elizabeth
    hace 11 años
    Flexsteel is still a quality company but like a lot of brands they also sale a less expensive version with what all company's are calling bonded which is NOT leather it is,as the former poster said pretty much the chicken nuggets of leather, pieces rolled together and covered with plastic, this is what your designer should have made very clear to you. The digby sofa is great but very small. I have had good luck showing the Vail from Flexsteel to customers who want Flexsteel but husband and wife wanting two very different things. It comes in leather and is made in the USA .
  • anitajoyce
    hace 11 años
    I'm sorry, but I can't get past the way it looks either. I don't like the way it looks either. If you have reservations about a big purchase, DON"T buy it. Listen to yourself and please keep looking to find what speaks to you and you love it. The minute you see something you like, WOW will probably be the first word you'll say.
  • alwaysdesigning
    hace 11 años
    First off, I will say I love Flexsteel and the quality they make. I have two loveseat sofas we bought in 1990 and I have reupholstered once when we moved, and I will be reupholstering again when we move into our new house next year. If I had the space and the correct room for this sofa, I would not hesitate in getting it. So if it fits the look and taste you want, get it. Otherwise, look at the Flexsteel website and find something they make that better fits your vision. http://www.flexsteel.com/home-furniture/products
  • potterydiva
    hace 9 años

Hancock & Moore and Smith Brothers are top quality! The guts of the construction as well as top grain leather that has been drum dyed. Color goes all the way through, not surface. Just gets better with time. Will last for decades.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años

DEAD THREAD - Sept, 2012!!!!!!!!!!

• Janie Burton
    hace 9 años
    Too big and bulky and shiny. Look for comfort plus timeless style.
  • nina47
    hace 9 años
    Please look for another sofa and another designer. Just looking at the show room makes me shudder!
  • Maureen
    hace 9 años

2012 post.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.