Houzz Logo Print
levityler

Any suggestions on how to turn this bed into a surf shack,tiki hut or beach cottage ?

levityler
hace 11 años
My daughter has this bed but it is pink with green trim she is getting older and we are doing a beach theme room .My husband refuses to get rid of the bed and she wants me to repaint etc.the bed to make it go with the beach theme. Please help!
Traditional Kids · Más información

Comentarios (54)

• PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    hace 11 años
    It was so late when I commented last night, that I totally missed that the room in the picture was not the room in question. I actually thought, "Wow, This is obviously a professionally done room. Why don't they have their designer do the conversion from "Pretty in Pink" to "Surf Shack"?

@ Sheila Rich Interiors - You created a fantasy bedroom for your client's little girl. I'm sure it is the envy of all her friends.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 11 años
    I, too, overlooked the fact that the gorgeous little girl's room in the picture was not that of levityler. Well done, Sheila Rich!
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    hace 11 años
    levityler can you post a picture of the room in question?
  • PRO
    Sheila Rich Interiors, LLC
    hace 11 años
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Little Brianna loves her room and it warms my heart.
  • levityler
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks so much for your advice! I am trying to upload a pic of macies room with her bed right now. I'm having technical difficulties at the moment. And my husband thanks you too!
  • pcmom1
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    How old is your daughter? I ask because I keep imagining her hitting her head getting out of bed! Just an idea: if and when she doesn't want her bed there, perhaps a desk could be inserted in its place.

My daughter had the same theme 10 years ago (time flies!). I went to Michael's and purchased a palm tree stamp and some paint and stamped along the wall next to the ceiling. That was a whole lot of work!

One thing that really added to the feel was a palm in the room and some grasses. I used real grasses that you buy from the garden center: the ones that look like beach grass and put a few large pots around the room. Add some glass floats, netting, beach chair, large shells and coral for the shelves, and on and on.

For repainting over the flowers, probably just a little sanding. Then look online for a muralist or an art student to paint you something. Or you can go with the worn look (salt air does damage!) and hang some netting, shells, floats over the area. This is a very fun theme to run with!
  • Mary Sheesley
    hace 11 años
    Look at Pottery Barn for Kids or Pottery Barn teens. They have great girl surfer themes. Looking at them can probably give you some really great ideas. I love the colors and styles they have. I would maybe add some Rafia around the roof line to make it look like a tiki hut.
  • furrytoes
    hace 11 años
    Maybe you could make an inspiration board with your daughter. Then she can look for photos of the kinds of things and colors she would like in her room. Keep the inspiration board in her room, even if you just tape it to the back of the door. If you decide to paint designs on the "beach house", consider stencils (there are many sources online). And have fun sharing the planning process with your daughter!
  • selenavaz
    hace 11 años
    Maybe you could pain the bed with colorful flowers and make it like a Hawaiian shack. You can keep the base pink and do that and it will still look great. It will save you the trouble of a complete re paint and you can have a total beach theme to your daughters room with a Hawaiian shack in the middle.
  • levityler
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks all for the wonderful ideas pc mom asked how old my daughter is and she is nine.You all have given me some amazing ideas! It is very much appreciated!
  • PRO
    Enchanted Pastimes
    hace 11 años
    Great idea to turn the little house bed into a surfing theme. Start by painting the walls a sea green/blue. The "surf shack" bed could have signs posted with signs like "SURFS UP". You might consider taking out the shelves and putting a full sized surf board in their place, if you keep the shelves then lean a surf board next to the shack. Natural fiber bedding and vintage surfing posters on the wall like "Endless Summer".
  • Iris Porter
    hace 11 años
    Pottery Barn Kids has a new Tree Fort Bed with a surf type theme you could look at for inspiration. It's done in boy colors, but easy to picture in girl colors. PBK usually carries a line of surf bedding for boys and girls in the summer. If there's none in stock now, check ebay.
  • preciousbritten
    hace 11 años
    Grass roof (hula skirt material)!! I immediately thought "Lilo & Stitch" when I saw this post.
  • Michelle Petit
    hace 11 años
    Painting (or glue on!) large palm tree leaves near the top trim (around the roof and windows), turn the corners into the trunks of said trees.Sand colored rug under the bed, pain the bottom of the bed sand as well, maybe with some seashells and a surf board or two "leaning" against it (don't be afraid to paint in some shadows for more realism!).

I hope you get the idea. This could be really cool! I love that bed, it's gorgeous!
  • S K-K
    hace 11 años
    key west house colors!
  • debvath
    hace 11 años
    My daughter has thins same bed her grandpa made for her. It was pink and white. We are turning it into a barn. She has 2 horses so it would be fitting!
  • niamunchkins
    hace 11 años
    First Idea Tiki Theme:
    Paint bed-house: Beige or tropical ( If room is Turquoise paint Coral, vice versa ).
    Cover roof: with grass skirts (Somehow)
    Bedspread: Tropical flowers
    Room Color: Bright Turquoise, Coral
    Ceiling: Light blue with white clouds.
    Curtains: White, breezy or seagull print
    Rug: Roughly woven with white rope
    Deco: hang some fishing nets, add shells and a surfboard print or painting instead the long line of flowers seagull toys or sculptures hanging from ceiling :)

Second Idea Nautical:
    Bed-House: Paint Bright blue with light yellow trim(Shutters and white part) and roof, or vice versa depending on room color
    Bedspread: Large Stripes pattern, anchor pattern or sailboat pattern
    Room Color: Pale or Bright blue, Buttery light yellow---Maybe even blue stripes!
    Ceiling: Keep white or a super pale blue
    Curtains: White breezy cloth or large striped curtains
    Rug: Plain white
    Deco: White seashells, starfish, hang white fishing nets, fill glass vases with sand and shells, hang painting of the sea, maybe a aquarium on desk (If that desk is white you should keep it! Cant tell in pic)

Whew! That took a long time! :)
    have fun decorating!!! :)
  • Ann Smitt
    hace 11 años
    Such wonderful ideas everyone. First paint the bed with low voc primer. Make a design board with your daughter, cut out pictures of Beach Cottages on the Atlantic Coast (choose your color palatte by which cottage color she gravitates too), go to a local beach and pick up some beach glass, shells, sharks teeth?, to add another texture to her room and shelves etc. Go to flea markets or garage sales for used boogie boards to make shelves out of or to hang on the walls as ART. Go to Home Depot or other paint store with your beach cottage photo to do a color match. Paint your daughter's new beach cottage. Paint the walls a light shade of sea glass or of a summer sky. Have fun with this. Enjoy.
  • tsudhonimh
    hace 11 años
    First, define your beach:
    Tropical Tahitian or Hawaiian?
    Southern California Surfer?
    New England?
    Puerto Vallarta?

The main problem with the bed would be the cutesy flowers - a good primer and paint will take care of it.
  • Sassy McFattypants
    hace 11 años
    we have a tiki back yard. the first thing I thought of when I saw that bed was thatch roofing, put it on the roof of the house. Next perhaps cover the rest in reed fencing (we are so on a budget its not funny so we do alot of things DIY) next where the angles in the bed are, attach bamboo poles:) I LOVE tiki. Then hit the dollar store for "tiki" decorations, there are TONS there. Here is a pic of my tiki bar/hut (which by the way, we found on Craigslist for 100 bucks) Came with all the thatching and everything. Also you may want to consider hanging beach balls from the ceiling or covering lampshades with them.
  • Sassy McFattypants
    hace 11 años
    oh btw, we have since trimmed the thatch and its much more uniform, and we also got the umbrella cover as well:) But yea, we LOVE this.
  • Sassy McFattypants
    hace 11 años
    and those beach huts... SUPER CUTE!
  • babyclams
    hace 11 años
    Another thing you might consider is doing a focal wall with wavy stripes of say turquoise and green or blue to look like the waves of the ocean!
  • valleymom7
    hace 11 años
    If you decide to use a real surfboard in the decor, try Craigs List for an inexpensive one.
  • leneda
    hace 11 años
    Thatch the roof, palms instead of flowers. walls ocean blue or sky blue. Trim out the house in any color that is beachy (see the pic from Gingerclaiare). I might do brighter yellow with maybe blue or white trim. the shutters can stay, blue or green tinted lights in the foot holes. Work in a surf board somplace. Perhaps attached tot he front of her closet door. The desk can stay white but maybe trim it out with nautical or surf themed knobs and handles. change the seat cushion. Cloth or basket bins for a couple of the cubbies. Carpet the color of sand. If there is room, I would add a couple of chaise lounge beach chairs for her and her BFF to sit and dream in.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I would caution you not to spend too much time and moneyon redoing this bedfor your 9 year old daughter that your husband insists you keep awhile longer. In another year or so your daughter is very likely to become embarassed by having the bed from her much younger days still hanging around and want a very different look. If you've invested a lot of hours and dollars on the bed, it will create a bad situation.
  • uhoh_busted
    hace 11 años
    I would paint the house a driftwood gray-beige, maybe even painting in lines to denote planks. Trim it in her chosen beach cottage color...love that photo gingerclaire provided as inspiration. Paint the shelf units in color...like blue for the back of the unit with green shelves, or what ever colors she wants. To find graphics to replace the flowers, look for folk art mermaids or sea themes. Avoid Cartoons. You could hang a long mirror on the side framed in seashells. Having had a 9-year old going on 15, you may want to go a bit more sophisticated, so it could last until she is 12 or so.
  • pcmom1
    hace 11 años
    Carolyn Albert is likely 99 % correct. At age nine, you can probably count on only a couple of years before your daughter will want a complete redo. So, have fun with your redo, but keep that in mind!

I have been looking at your bed and wondering about when that time comes: is there a younger child to pass it on to? If a boy, could do pirate: might want to go with driftwood color in that case!

Other than that, I see it turned into a seriously fun playground for my three cats (carpet the roof with a way to climb up), Or painted with protective paint, and placed into a fantasy area of your garden (I have one), or donated to a church for the little ones, or to acharity event as a fund raising prize...just saying the day is coming when another use will be needed!
  • PRO
    Custom Storage Solutions
    hace 11 años
    Whatever theme you go with, don't forget the background. When I design a theme garage I like to use wall murals. www.muralsyourway.com has a large selection of beach theme murals and the staff is great to work with. I have used them for years.
  • summer_night5
    hace 11 años
    What does the bed unit look like from the back against the wall? Could you turn it around and just turn it into a beach cottage with a sun roof?
  • levityler
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Good point carolyn Albert . She is our youngest of five and I am definitely trying to keep the cost low . Because all too soon it will be time to pass the bed on to another child.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Recycling is such a wonderful thing!
  • Amy Goldsmith
    hace 11 años
    How old is your daughter and what's her inspiration for the theme ie: Pirates of the Caribbean, Little Mermaid, Soul Surfer? For tiki , you could cover the exterior of the bed with grass skirts, that would create a "secret cubby" below the foot holds, I would trim the grass for those. Get some colorful tiki faces, have an office supply store print them large enough and mounted on foam core to place at the back of the shelves creating a totem pole effect. Cute signage; Mermaid crossing, this way to the volcano etc. The upstairs window could be the gaol with some chains & shackles. Maybe a foam kickboard, surf board shape where the hollyhock is painted. White fabric wrapped inner tubes as life preservers/lounge chairs.
  • levityler
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    She is 9 and what she has in mind is surf boards tiki hut etc.. Love the idea of the inner tube with white fabric as life preservers!I am really getting some awesome ideas!
  • PRO
    Arizona Roof Rescue
    hace 11 años
    I say for a beach theme, you need to take an element of shipwrecked into it. I would recommend thatched roof as well, maybe a baby palm. I like the idea of using nautical canvas as well, perhaps you can set up a thatched roof with a draw cover using canvas and rope, then the other stuff is easy. We don't do a lot of decorating at http://arizonaroofrescue.com , but I am imagining shells, starfish, sand, surf and skate boards for the wall, maybe it is even time for a turtle as a pet.
  • lalabodi
    hace 11 años
    Where can I buy the bed
  • PRO
    Bamboocreasian
    hace 11 años
    Decorate bed with this style, I hope it useful..
    Creation of Bamboo furniture, Bamboo bed, Bamboo outdoor furniture, Bamboo chair · Más información
  • PRO
    Totally Kids fun furniture & toys
    hace 11 años
    There are so many clever ideas and suggestions posted here. Please share your final makeover pictures! Anxious to see what you do. - Kelly
  • PRO
    Tanglewood Design
    hace 11 años
    Here is an idea from Tanglewood Design - www.playhousedesigns.com. We'll design something just for your room.
  • PRO
    Tanglewood Design
    hace 11 años
    These are some preliminary drawings we are working on for a client right now.
  • Jessyei Sills
    hace 11 años
    can u email me these please miss_pigggy69@yahoo.com
  • PRO
    Tanglewood Design
    hace 11 años
    They should be in you inbox. Thanks
  • Sue Martson
    hace 10 años
    My first thought was that dad is resisting his baby girl growing up. A child's room should be allowed to evolve with the needs of the child.
  • PRO
    David Manning Architecture
    hace 10 años
    Well, the arch of the window could be the beginning of a large size wave graphic wrapping around all walls, with clouds above the wave and little fishies below the wave and sand and coral and sea anemonies on the bottom....all of that just painted onto the walls...and there are rugs now that resemble little stones...and bird mobiles...and sound installation of waves and sea gulls...
  • Julie Balke
    hace 10 años
    Some of the home stores, dollar stores, etc., have very real looking palm trees in different sizes. Many of them are lit with tiny white led lights. Couldn't hurt the atmosphere no matter what kind of beach you're creating. On one wall, you could create a beach. Make a wainscoting height make a sandy part with browns, beiges, or creams for a "sugar beach," roughening the surface with a thinned out grout or similar. Then paint the ocean and let it fade into the horizon and sky, using sunny day colors of sky blues or sunset colors like pink purple
    And gold. Some fish net on the beach or real sharks teeth glued on might also be interesting and something she could help do. I think at that age, the like to be involved and feel more like they own it.
  • Robbi
    hace 10 años
    The easiest transformation would be to convert your pink cottage look bed to a cape cod look. Pale grey blue with white shutters for the bed structure (look up pics of cape code houses). Get the surfer look with accessories. A real or faux surfboard is essential, but there are plenty of options like old fashioned buoys, life rings, etc that will add to the look. I would stick with the cape cod color scheme throughout the room and add and a FEW accessories but don't overdo it, because it can quickly look too kitchy.
  • PRO
    David Manning Architecture
    hace 10 años
    How about palm tree stencils? Stencil the dickens out of walls and ceiling
  • Nicole Brown
    hace 9 años
    add a surfbaord along side the shelves, add distressed wood shingles to the roof line, paint a beachy blue or teal and the interior of the cubbys white. change the bedding.. tommy bahama has a lot of beachy themes without looking too childish if you are going for a more sophisticated kid room.. if you are going for the more juvenile look there are tons of options.
  • Ava Williams
    hace 9 años
    Yes paint the walls a whole different color, change the bedding remove the shutters, then make it yours
  • PRO
    Direct Depot Kitchen Wholesalers
    hace 7 años

Search the term: trompe-l'oeil

Then add "Beach" or "Beach Shack" or the like to the search.

A mural utilizing this faux painting technique would be a really fun addition!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.