Houzz Logo Print
kelly_schaecher_piper

need to remove rock...now what?

Turns out cultured stone doesn't work well in the Pacific NW, it leaks. So we have to remove all the stone on the tall exterior wall. I don't really want to replace it with horizontal hardie plank like the rest of the home. Any ideas what to do? Our home is traditional/transitional inside and hope to get a similar feel on the outside. We are planning to paint next year. We like this color but it faded so we might be open to suggestion for colors too.
I might add that I am so disappointed about this situation. I love the rock and it was one of the reasons I love this home.
ps please ignore the lawn...had a major issue with it this spring.

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Kelly, I agree with Joe, its unlikely that the stone is the issue, its sounds much more like the installation is. With a few exceptions (vinyl, metal et al) most stone and wood exterior siding is mostly cosmetic (and acts as physical protection for the waterproofing itself) Water will, and can pass through many types of siding. As odd as it sounds, that's quite normal. (The same applies to many roofing materials)

Its the waterproofing *behind* the siding that does the job of keeping water out of a home. If this isnt done correctly, you'll have issues. (If you web search this you'll see what we mean) The bad news is that the stone will most likely need to be removed to fix the waterproofing problem below. The good news is that you can then re-install stone, so you'll be left with an aesthetic you like. (Bear in mind that you may not be able to salvage the stone you currently have)

Find a good mason with a clear understanding of how waterproofing works. (Sadly, there are quite a few who don't). If you do some preliminary web research re "correct siding waterproofing methods" beforehand you'll know what to ask them.

Best of luck

Steve
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    I have to agree with Joe as well. I have used cultured stone in the Pacific NW as well and never a problem. I would speak with licensing in your state and see what recourse you have with the builder. You might also contact the stone manufacturers to have them investigate; they have a reputation to uphold and can give you some evidence on which to hang your hat. Having this redone should not cost you anything and you should not have to bill your insurance company for it; it is the resposibility of the general contractor....he has to have insurance to maintain his license. Good luck and keep us posted. PS how old is the paint job? When you repaint, buy the best paint available....the labor is your big cost so have them use the best! Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Erin Lang Norris
    hace 11 años
    As Mint stated, I really think you should track down the contractor who installed the stone, although it's easier said than done if it was put up before you purchased the house. Good luck- I hope you are able to figure something out; it's beautiful.
  • Kelly Schaecher_Piper
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks for the info! Our home is 5 1/2 years old. We had a water incident right after we moved in but we thought it was fixed until earlier this year. Unfortunately, like many builders in our area, ours went bankrupt before the 1st year was over. We didn't even get to have the 1 year walk through. Not sure if we have recourse with the installer since I don't know who they are and the general is gone.
    It makes sense that it would be the water protection barrier under the rock.
    I truly don't think my husband will go with the rock again because he is convinced it will happen again.
    Please continue to send more ideas of new facades.
    Thanks!
  • PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    hace 11 años
    We manufacture and install our stone similar to Cultured Stone and I would like to share a couple of thoughts about the water issue and alternatives.

The manufactured stone is porous and allows water to absorb and also evaporate. The water barrier installation is key to the success of the installation. Before removing all the stone, you might want to remove the stone just on the upper window and see if the windows were flashed properly. If additional flashing around the windows were not installed after the primary Tyvek or similar barrier was installed, water is probably seeping in by the windows and gets trapped and causes mold and other damage. There is a good chance you will find damage to the plywood in the areas near the windows. Reflash both windows and reinstall the stone (see below).

Due to the design of the house you will find that the stone is still probably the most attractive option for that part of the house. If you install new siding, you will have a difficult time matching the exact color and possible style of siding. You most likely will notice the patch job. Stucco is a good alternative for some homes with a feature point like the peak on your house, but I feel stucco would not give you the look you want. You could use real brick or stone, but your house is probably not set up with a brick ledge for the additional support that is required and you will still need to remove all the stone and start with a new vapor barrier.

Manufactured stone is a great product and hopefully the problem is just the installation. Ideally it is a Cultured Stone product and you can buy more stone. A skilled mason will remove the stone in the effected areas and then remove additional stone to feather the new stone or and the old stone so it will blend nicely. If the stone is not available you might have to start over with all new stone. As a custom manufacturer of stone, we might also be able to closely match the existing stone if you get to that point.

You have a beautiful home and the stone works with the home. Don't give up.
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    hace 11 años
    you welcome Kelly. Still worth checking about liability of contractor, subs, etc. Perhaps consumer affairs division of your state or county can help you track down a responsible party. Good luck and keep us posted! :)
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    hace 11 años
    Kelly, it really was most likely an install issue. If you and your husband really do love the look of stone, there are real solutions. We provide a natural thin veneer stone and supply the west coast on a regular basis without issue. One thing to consider is adding a drainage plain - we have one that we provide and have had tested.

http://www.buechelstone.com/shoppingcart/categories/Weep-System/

Just let us know if we can help!
  • redtigeratnight
    hace 11 años
    Since the experts have given so much good advice, I'll just add a thought here...if you have to go to regular siding, you could make a low stone wall on either side of the house to create a private area and add a bit of the stone look. I know it's not the same! We are doing a dry stone wall here, just stacking relatively flat stones.
  • charliemycat
    hace 11 años
    Kelly, exactly where is it leaking? I also agree with all the previous excellent posts that this is more likely a flashing or drip edge problem, rather than a problem with the stone itself.
  • Kelly Schaecher_Piper
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    well we thought we figured out it was leaking from the top of the bottom window, after pulling nearly all the cultured stone off we found it was leaking from the bottom of the top window. Insurance wont cover anything and we have no recourse with the contractors so we have decided against the stone for financial reasons are are looking for options on siding. Thinking of doing a pergola above the lower window and keeping stone down there. Maybe a combo of horizontal & shingles or board & batten on the upper portion. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!
  • charliemycat
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Kelly, Can you post a picture? It will help everyone understand exactly what is left. Are you absolutely positive the removed material unusable? Please tell us why you don't want Hardie plank. Is it the material you object to, or the look of the clapboards?
    I almost think you should post your picture as a new question and thread. It might get better exposure. Don't worry. You'll have a ton of creative ideas to chose from.
    Good Luck.
  • charliemycat
    hace 11 años
    Hi Kelly.
    Are either one of these pictures appealing? In both there is a lower stone treatment on the facade. In the first one board and battten is separated by trim board. In the second the shingle treatment meets the stone, although I suspect there is a stone cap you can't see. here is one with a pergola over a window.
    Just ideas.
    [houzz=
    Exterior · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Robinson's Bay Residence · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Becker Architects · Más información
    ]
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    hace 11 años
    @Crazylife - Great photos!

@Kelly - if you do go with a pergola and/or if you change siding materials partway as you've suggested, make sure your installer has a very clear understanding of waterproofing techniques for the transitions between each surface. (Simple test - THOROUGHLY soak the whole area after waterproofing, but before any siding has been installed. The water should run off easily and quickly, and shouldn't "sit" anywhere. This is no guarantee, but it helps show potential problems before you've installed the siding).

Each transition in materials needs very careful flashing to waterproof these areas correctly, and unfortunately its exactly these types of transitions (wood to stone, framing lumber to siding etc) that are frequently installed incorrectly. Better still, eliminate one of the potential issues by not attaching the pergola to the house, but instead having it close, but freestanding instead.

Steve
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.