Houzz Logo Print
joesmom_gw

Patio VS Deck in NJ

joesmom
hace 17 años

Hi everyone. We are in the process of moving from Texas to New Jersey. I'm still in TX while hubby is working in NJ and trying to manage the final stages of our new house. We are down to the final 2 months before move in and are into the fun stuff now. Picking countertops, floors, lights, etc. We have also built into the budget a decent dollar amount for a deck. However I am wondering if we should do some type of paver patio instead. We have been told by our builder that for the $$ we have alotted it would normally get us a 'maintenace free deck' of about 10' X 20'. But I like the looks of some sort of paver patio, it just has a more elegant and lush look/feel about it to me. Unfortunately we would have about 6 steps down before reaching ground level in the back yard currently. I'm thinking that really wouldn't be an issue other than the fact you can see the foundation of the house in that space so I would obviously do some nice foundation planing to cover that up.

My question is this...I know it is like trying to compare apples to oranges, but would each of these options (deck vs patio) cost about the same or would one be more $$ than the other...finished size being equal??

ANY thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comentarios (7)

• bcooney
    hace 17 años

We were all for a deck for years before we finally put in a paver patio. My husband's rule is do it once and have it last for his lifetime. Hence, vinyl and aluminum fences and the patio.

Asthetically, I might have preferred a flagstone patio, esp. since our house is a colonial. But, I was worried about frost heaving the stones, and the budget.

In the picture below, you can see how we went about solving the elevation of our back door to the final level of the patio.

{{gwi:20946}}

• joesmom
    Autor original
    hace 17 años

I really like how you worked the steps down gradually to solve the elevation problem at the door. I would prefer to do some sort of patio such as yours over a deck. But I am fearing that it would be more $$. Did you do the work yourself or hire someone? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out 2 or 3 companies to give us quotes on decks and 2 or 3 on patios in the area since I'm all the way down here in TX. Would you say that a deck the same size as your patio would have been more or less? I'm walking into this completely green and flying a bit blind, LOL.
    Thanks!

• bcooney
    hace 16 años

Thanks, glad the photo helped. I really wanted a deck because I liked the idea of being elevated, but when the designer showed me the elevated landing on the patio, that was the clincher.

I think that a deck would have cost us less (patio `$15K), but there's no comparison re longevity and maintenance. We did not attempt this ourselves, as we would have the deck. It's on a poured concrete base and done with Techo-Bloc pavers. (I'm not advertising for them, just a satisfied customer!)

{{gwi:20947}}

Here is a link that might be useful: techo bloc website

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    hace 16 años

A single step can be a tripping hazard, so include something that acts as a visual clue that there is a change in level.

I would expect a patio to cost more than a deck, but it depends on the quality of the workmanship and type and cost of materials.

• view_west
    hace 16 años

Unfortunately we would have about 6 steps down before reaching ground level in the back yard currently...

An outdoor space on the same level will feel more connected to the house, and will likely get used more. Imagine, the first warm spring day - you might duck outside with your coffee in hand, in the lee of the house. But I doubt you would get a jacket out to make the trek down to a patio.

Photos would be helpful, but as a general rule I'd vote for a deck.

-VW

• karinl
    hace 16 años

Regarding cost, paver patios are rarely, I think, done on poured concrete. That must be the most expensive way to do a deck. Possibly in NJ you would need a crushed granite plus sand base; even that would be cheaper (in my climate I can get away with sand only). And if you could DIY you'd be in the hundreds, not thousands, of dollars.

KarinL

• PRO
    Forever Green Landscape Construction & Design
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

If you put a deck in im sure its probably half way through its life working quickly to 3/4 - my rule and advice to customers is " no wood outside" under no circumstances ...We routinely build elevated patios. Its a one time investment impervious to weather.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.