Houzz Logo Print
rey03

TV over fireplace

rey03
hace 9 años
Hi everyone! We would like to wall mount the TV over the fireplace but not sure if the TV would be too high and it would strain our necks. Is there any rule of thumb to be followed when wall mounting the TV? Thanks!

Comentarios (37)

• rey03
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you!
  • Jody
    hace 9 años
    I would not put the tiv over the fireplace for the reasons stated above. I think it looks good where you have it
  • Erin Downey
    hace 9 años
    Try it if you really want to, you can always change it back if it hurts your neck. Also, just FYI, those TV mounts can leave quite the hole in the wall after they are removed so you might want to just set the TV on the mantel for a couple of months and see how you feel about it. There are plenty of pictures on Houzz with TVs over the mantel to help you decorate around it once you decide if it is right for you.
  • Kimberley Davis
    hace 9 años
    Hello; I work in the fireplace industry and there are many considerations when
    Installing the tv above the fireplace. Height and heat being the main ones. In this application,
    I think It will indeed be up too high to be viewed comfortabally. Either don't move it there
    Or consider removing the shelf that is there, removing some of the stone and then
    Installing at a lower height. This will be more work for you, and then you will need to consider the wiring requirements, and the placement of the dvd, satelight box, etc.
    Art and mirrors often look best! Good luck
  • bodaman
    hace 9 años
    NEVER put TV over fireplace! It is uncomfortable and ugly. Your focal point is a lovely fireplace, not a huge TV. Art work above or grouping of candlesticks would be lovely
  • PRO
    F C Batton and Son, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    We just installed several televisions above fireplaces, they look great and are very comfortable to view. Just keep your seating ten to twelve feet away and install a mounting bracket that tilts the tv downward a few degrees. You can purchase these brackets many places including Sears.
  • Jane Burgett
    hace 9 años
    Okay people sometimes there is no where else to put it. Mine is over the fireplace because it's the only wall that would work, the entire right wall is windows, the left wall is a staircase and behind is open to the kitchen. Mine is higher up than yours would be and it's caused no neck or eye strain, the recliners take care of the neck and all you have to do is look at it, you don't have to raise your head or position it in an awkward way OR strain your neck.
  • Dorene Hayner
    hace 9 años
    In a perfect world I would say to put a piece of art over the fireplace as well. However it would drive me crazy to have my TV blocking my windows. Therefore I agree with the comment about putting it above the fireplace on a tilted mount. I also think that if you can either lower the shelf and place the television on the shelf or cut the stone down and mount the shelf at the lower stone height that would be best. It will also make your room feel larger when the television is not in front of the windows. Of course you then have to deal with where to put your cable box Blu-ray, etc. there are also mirrors made to go over the TV that you can view through. They are a bit expensive but if this is your long term home it might be a consideration.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Maybe you could have a cabinet maker in to create some doors like this to hide the tv behind. They could add some molding around the windows at the same time.
    Lake House · Más información
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    DO NOT DO IT. your chiropractor will get rich
  • PRO
    Pataya Flooring & Stone Supply, LLC
    hace 9 años
    There is no legitimate reason to not install the TV above the fireplace, especially a TV of that size.
  • cabingirl13
    hace 9 años
    No TV over the fireplace ever- especially since your fireplace has an awkwardly high mantel to begin with.
  • Dorene Hayner
    hace 9 años
    After looking closer at your fireplace I noticed the natural stone seems to be topped with cut stone. remove the cut stone and place your mantel shelf at that height. Mount the TV on the wall above the fp. Your room will function so much better. I personally don't have mine above the fp because my fp is on a side wall but if my fp was front and center I would definitely do this. My TV is mounted higher than eye level because we live in an open concept home and I want to be able to watch TV when I'm working in the kitchen. It has never been a problem for us. When we sit on the sofas to watch TV we raise our eyes not our heads.
  • rey03
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all!
  • graceous
    hace 9 años
    No not good for the TV to be over the heat from the fireplace. There has been a lot of complaints about that.
  • Jeanne Riley
    hace 9 años
    No, that would be too cluttered and look bad.
    the tv stand is also too big and bulky.
  • emilyam819
    hace 9 años
    Agree with Doreen - lower the mantel, then mount TV. That different stone looks weird, and you'll have to open the wall if you want to hide the wires, anyway. My TV is high, I watch a lot of it, and it doesn't bother me. We also never burn a fire in the fireplace.
  • kdfiles
    hace 9 años
    Well I agree and disagree. We have our tv over the fireplace and love it! I do think your mantel is too high, I agree with another poster about removing some of the tiles/stones to lower the mantel. It would look very nice and free up some floor space.
  • PRO
    A New Look Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    I think you can successfully place over mantle if you get a "brace"/arm that will allow you to tilt up or down ...or swing left or right! The reality is a flatscreen is best viewed when you are directly in front. But with a family or friends we all know that is not practical ! Put it up there and see how you like it ...I think it would look better then where it is now!!!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Then....place some simple panels on pole with rings at the same height as the top of TV! It will be balanced and very attractive!!!!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    sorry...add simple panels to windows on either side of fireplace !!
  • rey03
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi.. what did u mean by 'simple panels on pole with rings' do u have any pictures..
    Thanks!
  • PRO
    F C Batton and Son, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    One of our customers has a screen that automatically covers their TV while it is not being viewed. On this screen is a tasteful nautical painting that truly looks like a picture over a mantel. If you want more info I will be happy to supply it.
  • rey03
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yes, please let me know more about it. Thanks!
  • Gail Moore
    hace 9 años
    I think your TV is too wide.. It would look too top heavy for over the fireplace.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Do you have some of that blue painter's tape handy? Gail may just be right that the tv is simply too large for over your mantle. Could you tape a mock up above the mantle and post a photo?

Then also a photo of each wall? There might be an alternative.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-showcase-of-homes-granite-street-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~1791923
  • PRO
    F C Batton and Son, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    I will find out info about the TV picture screen and get back to you asap!
  • PRO
    F C Batton and Son, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    The company who installed the TV picture screen is Starr Systems out of Baltimore, MD. Details coming!
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    leave the TV where it is, unless you have a better room in which to watch the TV. I would like to see a painting above the fireplace or a big clock as mentioned before.
  • PRO
    F C Batton and Son, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Two companies make the screen that automatically covers a TV. The one we installed was by Media Decor and covers the TV with, in this case, a beautiful sailing vessel. There is a less expensive version made by VU tech. Check out their websites. Let me know you need more info.
  • rey03
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hey all, we tried a couple of things over the weekend. I tired marking the position of the tv over the fireplace and the adjacent wall. The room feels very small if we have to move the couch and place the tv in the adjacent wall. So we are leaning towards removing the mantel and the flat stones below it and placing the tv over the fireplace. Also, any input on the carpet. It blends well with the room but I am not very sure about it.
  • Chris Boyle
    hace 9 años
    i vote for removing the mantle
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    hace 9 años
    The TV should be at eye level.
  • beffiebear
    hace 9 años
    The carpet is very dated looking. I would ditch it.
  • Lynnie
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    A great piece of art that you absolutely love is the best thing over your fireplace. It would be sweet to have a painting of your children there. Even a professional photo of the family.

Your last picture shows how you can easily put your TV over to the right, angel your smaller sofa and still have the seating perfect. Keep trying different ideas, because I do think you are on the right track. A few ideas below. And, the carpet you have seems rather worn. I would go with a smaller one and more modern look.

Phinney Umbrella House · Más información

Lake Home · Más información
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Adjacent wall! Much easier for viewing.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.