Houzz Logo Print
julia_moy

Upset that marble was installed instead of granite in my kitchen!

Julia Moy
hace 9 años
When I went to Home Depot, I had picked out a sample block of the carrera white marble, not knowing that it was marble. I told my contractor that "this" was the granite countertop I wanted. He went to his granite source and told me that the piece I gave him was marble, but that I was in luck. There was a slab of granite that looked very similar to the marble piece I provided him. So great, we had the granite installed and now it's been week 2 and there are many scratches showing up, one red hot sauce stain and one nick already. I've barely cooked in the kitchen and we haven't done much in kitchen as we just moved in. I've noticed that even dragging a glass plate across the countertop will leave a scratch. I'm convinced that we have marble and not granite, as I do not see any shiny specks in my countertops. We've wiped it down with granite sealers 4 times already and no luck! What should I do? I think I should be due the entire refund of the "granite," that is now appearing to be marble. I've spent $4,800 on the granite alone, without the installation cost! Please advise what I should do!

Comentarios (7)

• unwantedadvice
    hace 9 años
    Wow, that's a lot of money! Have you contacted your contractor regarding this matter? Did you ask them about how to seal this counter and with what product works best? More importantly, did you check your Board of Contractors website and see if there were any complaints about them? It does sound like you may have marble instead of granite considering the staining and scratches but I am no expert on either. Perhaps if you posted some close up pics that would help other Houzzers answer this question for you. Good luck.
  • Julia Moy
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I had my kitchen remodeled, so my contractor is the one who ordered the granite. I've looked through our emails & "granite" was mentioned many times. Is it possible that my white "granite" can scratch and get nicked that easily? We've had darker granite in our old home for 10 years and we couldn't see a single scratch or nick and we totally cooked and did everything on it, along with my 2 little kids who are now much older.
  • PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    hace 9 años

Did they mention the name of this "granite" they installed? Lighter granite can stain easier than a darker granite, but with a sealer it shouldn't be an issue.

• PRO
    U+B Architecture & Design
    hace 9 años

You should press this point with your contractor but to verify that you received granite. There are several Blanco varieties that feature coloring and veining similar to that of a Carrara marble

• Alice
    hace 9 años
    The first thing is of course to find your receipt and talk to your contractor or Home Depot. You need to verify that what is installed is what you bought. If it is, then there is likely nothing you can do unless a refund is still available or you are willing to just reinstall. If this is just a situation of buyers remorse, then unfortunately that's something the seller is not legally responsible for.

If you did not get what you ordered, then obviously you have the right to ask that they give you the slab you chose.

If you end up having to stay with that countertop then just get it sealed to minimize stain issues.
  • Janie Burton
    hace 9 años
    Your paperwork is key as to what product was ordered, installed and what you payed for this entire project. The store would also have this detailed. I have honed granite and honed marble in my kitchen. The granite was aged and sealed after installation and the marble was sealed after installation. After 2 years of use, I don't have any of these issues you have discussed. I would immediately get in touch with the store management and your contractor/ installer and have them come out to your home and correct this situation. Let us know how this is resolved.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.