Houzz Logo Print
rachel_thomas6603946

revamp old furniture advice

Rachel Thomas
hace 9 años
Hey so I have got some second hand pieces for my guest bedroom and need to revamp them but need advice on colours and what is best as don't like the color of bed, need to do it on cheap budget tho.

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    You could always paint the bed if you use Annie Sloane chalk paint then you can paint it straight on to the wood and finish with a light wax. Or sand it down and use a lime wash paint on it.
  • Jonathan
    hace 9 años
    Go to the DIY stores and choose a good primer that works for melamine furniture then you can paint it with any paint. I would choose an eggshell finish as it will be resilient. Paint the first coat with a brush. Paint the second coat with the brush but then go over with a gloss roller(one of the little ones they use for radiators) for a great finish.
    Assuming you can't change the wall colour I would express personality with your colour choice for the furniture and then perhaps new drawer handles/knobs.
  • PRO
    Atlas Kitchens Ltd
    hace 9 años
    Farrow & Ball paints are not very cheap but they add unbeatable period charm to restored furniture. Deep colours would work great here, such as dark blue Stiffkey Blue for interior wood, and you can choose your favourite finish. I used Estate Eggshell finish on our oak wardrobe and it's a real show-stopper now.
  • Tom Flanagan
    hace 9 años
    Go pastel coloured - they're still in and are a lovely middle-ground between white and big colours. That, or go all white and dot some pastel accessories and pieces nearby to warm the room and accentuate the contrast.
  • Sam Hill
    hace 9 años
    Pastel colours
  • Jackie Hales
    hace 9 años
    If you want a very cheap option, you can mix your own chalk paint. You can order calcium carbonate (chalk) from Amazon for for around £2 (you only need the smallest size) and then mix with any Matt paint you like, you would only have to buy a couple of tester pots or use up any paint you have used previously and still like. Very simple to do and lots of guidance online, simply type in "chalk paint recipes" you can then seal the bed with wax or for a more durable finish, spray with satin wood varnish (B&Q) sell one for around £6. Good luck with the project.
  • PRO
    Bobepa Designs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Everlong chalk paint , fusion mineral paint , Annie Sloan or make your own chalk paint. Add a couple of coats of wax. You'll get a Durable and Classic look that I just don't think you get with other paints. It's amazing the different looks you can achieve.

If you want a colour that's timeless and will go with the room as you redecorate - Everlong Earl grey. Winner every time

• PRO
    My Bespoke Room
    hace 8 años
    As well as painting the furniture (we love Annie Sloan too as no prep required and so many lovely effects and colours) we would change the knobs on the drawer unit. Some great designs at Not On The High Street. You could also measure the top of the unit and have a piece of glass or mirror made for it at a glass shop to glam it up?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.