Houzz Logo Print
flo_huebert

Is backsplash tile repairable ?

Flo Huebert
hace 9 años
I am building a new house . There are a few cracked backsplash tile in the kitchen. My contractor told me that they can not be repaired. Is that true ?

Comentarios (15)

• zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    OMGoodness, really? They should have been pulled and replaced before install. Annoying to say the least. >:| They might??? be able to be carefully removed, but it also may damage a few around it. Do you have extra sheets of tile? That is just ridiculous....what were they thinking? Really? New tiles can be individually removed from the backing and replaced that way.
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    Having helped my husband put in a backsplash this spring, I would be very surprised if you could get a single tile off the wall without damaging those around it.
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Yes, it certainly can be done. There is always a way to do anything, nothing is impossible!

First, did he do they work or did someone else do it? If he did it he the work, he needs to repair it. Whom ever did the installation, should have removed the cracked tile from the mosaic and should NEVER had used them in the first place. It would have been easy to replace them with good ones before the started the grouting.

In the 28 years that I have been an interior designer, when a contractor says he can't do something it will usually means he either doesn't want to or he doesn't know how to do it. A good experienced contractor will always knows how to do anything. He can and will always find away to solve a problem. A good contractor is worth their weight in gold.

To fix it will be time consuming, but not really that hard to do. There are several tools on the market that he can use; like a oscillating multi tool, dremel tool or one that is called Regrout Tool using a sturdy carbide tips. Once he removes the grout from around the tiles, he can replace the cracked tile and then re-grout.

Please note:
    1). If the grout is an epoxy grout, it will be much harder to remove the grout from around the tiles. If that is the case, it would be easier for the installer to do the whole job over. It still could be done, but would need to go slow and carefully!
    2). If it is standard grout it will be easy and simple to do.
    3). If you know the name of the grout brand and the color, it should match up pretty easy. If not, it will be hard to match up the grout without it looking repaired and discolored. This would also apply, if the install was done a few years back, it may have stains or soiling and not match up to a new grout.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Hi Flo, I was wondering if your problem has been resolved? :)
  • Flo Huebert
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    My contractor said he will try to fix it.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Oh good, I'm glad to hear that. :) Good luck!
  • Flo Huebert
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Sry , my son was jumping on me. I sent the last msg before I finished typing .My contractor said" he will try to fix it, it might make a mess." I don't know what he is trying to say . He have not do anything yet last time checked . I really hope he will repair those broken tiles because they are right in the middle if my kitchen. Very noticeable.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 9 años
    Do not settle for broken tiles ,if you have to rip them all out
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Well, you are paying, so keep on him until it's fixed. It's not fair to you.
  • PRO
    P & R Property Solutions, LLC.
    hace 9 años
    I have been a contractor for 35 years. You should not accept broken tiles. They can and should absolutely be replaced.
  • Depo
    hace 9 años
    Yes they can be fixed! They just need to chip out the grout and them pry off the tiles.
  • flopsycat1
    hace 9 años
    A few broken tiles? That looks like a whole lot of broken tiles to me. Does the installer have any experience working with glass tiled? If not, and it doesn't appear that he does, perhaps any replacements he sets are likely to experience the same fate. Good luck!
  • Lee Weber
    hace 9 años
    Damage can happen while a house is being built, but contractor should repair to new, undamaged state. That's what you paid for. It's his responsibility to make it right.
  • Flo Huebert
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    My contractor fixed my backsplash yayaya
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.