Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Decorate with Candy Canes - Yes or No?

Emily H
hace 9 años
Is this the time of year when candy canes start popping up in your home? Hung from branches on a tree, perhaps? A few sprinkled across a tabletop? Embroidered on a pillow? Do candy canes appear in your home this time of year?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! (photos encouraged)

Tiny Christmas tree · Más información
Yes - I love it!
No - Not for me.
Other - tell us below!

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    Nah, not really for me. They taste delish though! :)
  • PRO
    Donco Designs
    hace 9 años
    Candy canes are great low budget decorations that can add flair and sweetness to your holiday decorations.
  • hahamoley
    hace 9 años
    Candy canes can look cute on a tree, but they'd be a dog magnet in my house.
  • todaysheloves
    hace 9 años
    With dogs around, definitely not!
  • elklaker
    hace 9 años
    I just bought 2 boxes yesterday. I put them in a jar (similar to above). They get slipped into the napkin rings at the kids' table for Christmas dinner. They are usually eaten before dinner but, who cares? Eat, drink and be merry!
  • PRO
    Turnstyle Design
    hace 9 años
    Absolutely! What a wonderful way to accomplish several things in one go: 1) choose something classic - tick. 2) Involve the kids - tick. 3) make the project easy and beautifully simple- tick. The key is to indeed focus on that last point and keep things somewhat undecorated and clean looking. Select 1 type of candy cane in terms of color; then you can play better with scale.
  • Crystal Bug
    hace 9 años
    I have younger kids at home, so they like to be a part of the decorating element of the holidays. However, my partner and I are a bit on the perfectionist side, making incorporating the kids a bit challenging sometimes. If we let them decorate then took it all down, it would be like telling them their ideas aren't good enough- and it's not the message we want to put out there (we just like ours better). So, as a solution, we let the kids add candy canes to the tree. That way they felt like they had a part in it, my partner and I had it looking classy like we like, and the candy canes will slowly disappear anyways because the kids (and maybe us parents, too) will be eating them! Once they are all teenagers we can let candy canes just be nostalgic goodies.
  • carotx
    hace 9 años
    I bought a box of candy canes yesterday and plan to make peppermint bark with them. Years ago, we used them as inexpensive Christmas ornaments and decorations on wrapped gifts.
  • lake1114
    hace 9 años
    They are hanging from the family tree right now!
  • chloebud
    hace 9 años
    I think they can be great! I've been looking awhile for some plain white candy canes to "jazz up" in various ways. Still looking!
  • grobby
    hace 9 años
    Don't use them, but I like the idea. Brings back sweet memories.
  • PRO
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
    hace 9 años
    I somehow don't like candy canes, but they do indeed look lovely.
  • Cookie1930
    hace 8 años

I don't like them on the tree, that is average. However,I'm always looking for new ways to use average things.

• Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 8 años

We hang a few on the tree, and as children every year we'd make candy cane reindeer. But no one ever eats them - we're not crazy about hard candy in my family so it's kind of a waste.

• zazfuzzroc
    hace 8 años

Yes, it's a must.... they like eating them. :) (3 boys) And we have 7 Christmas trees that we decorate, so I can still have my fancy trees and we have one in the living room that has all those Disney and Hallmark ornaments.... perfect combo with candy canes. Plus, with all the colors available... it's like a rainbow. I'm just like a kid anyway... I think it's fun! ;)

I hope everyone has an excellent holiday season.... no matter what you celebrate... :)

PS The reindeer above are adorable! :)

• Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 8 años

Zazfuzzroc - they're easy to make. Brown pipecleaners, googly eyes, and small red pompoms with plain old Elmer's school glue. Loop the pipecleaner once around the cane and twist once like a twist tie to make it stay then bend antlers as desired. Glue can help antlers stay in place if they don't on their own. Googly eyes and nose glued on (be sure the canes are still in clear shrinkwrap so they can be eaten later).

• zazfuzzroc
    hace 8 años

Thanks Jessica, very sweet of you to take the time to explain. :) I'm definitely doing that... it's very cute. Sometimes you need new ideas, so I really appreciate it. I think they'll have fun doing it too... not too difficult. I may already have everything I need. Thanks again and enjoy the holidays with your family! :)

• PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    hace 8 años

Our kids love the fruity candy canes!

• Carole Mann
    hace 8 años

I've used candy canes for years on a small tree by the front door. That way when visitors come, they can leave with a small treat. Some rules:

1. Leave the cellophane on.

2. Never under any circumstances, save them until next year, unless you enjoy cleaning roach sign off your other ornaments. Instead gather up the unused candy canes and use then to stir your hot tea or coffee in the morning for a nice peppermint flavored drink.

• luvourhome
    hace 7 años

Candy-cane ice-cream or peppermint bark are all the "decorating" I do with them. Too kiddy-ish for me otherwise.

• Bev
    hace 7 años

This past Christmas, I purchased big plastic candy canes from Hobby Lobby so that they could be hung above the stair railing in the living room during the Christmas holidays.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.