Houzz Logo Print
rosegaliana

Fireplace Makeover

Jennifer
hace 9 años
We have the ugliest fireplace out there. It's flat on the wall, but they put in a tile hearth. We currently have carpet and are putting in hardwoods so we've decided to redo the fireplace. The problem we're running into is where to put the TV. Our 60" TV will go downstairs and we've purchased a smaller tv. We were thinking of putting it above the fireplace and putting shelves/cabinets on each side to house components. I hate TVs above fireplaces, but our other issue is space. We have 4' on one side of the fireplace and 3' on the other, so if we put the TV on one of the cabinets on the 4' side, we have to have a 4' cabinet which means our cabinets/shelves won't be symmetrical. To make it even worse.. we have a weirdly vaulted ceiling. I've attached a photo (that has a smaller TV than what we currently have in the space, but same TV stand). I've also attached a picture of my dream fireplace, but since our fireplace is flat in the wall, I'm not sure it will look right.

Comentarios (17)

• Jennifer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The counter to the left of the tree is our kitchen bar.. which has stools at it now and we need space to sit, hence only having 3' to the left of the fireplace.
  • Jennifer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    This is the up close ugliness of it..
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    I'm a bit confused about what size TV will eventually go in this space. Will it be larger, smaller, or the same size as the one shown in the photo above?
  • Jennifer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The one in the photo is a 50", we've since upgraded to a 60" (which I don't have a picture of). The TV we purchased for the space is slightly smaller than the one in the picture (but we may be returning it and buying a smaller one).
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Part of the problem with the current fireplace is that it's just sort of stuck in the wall. I think you could do a modified version of your dream fireplace there, but it might require a smaller TV than you'd planned.

I also would like to see the bay incorporated more into the space. A regular sofa (instead of a sectional) facing the fireplace would help.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    So you have a big TV elsewhere in the house and are flexible on the size of this one. Therefore, design your room and fireplace and then find a TV that fits that plan.
  • Jennifer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Groveraxle - if it were up to me, there wouldn't be a TV in the room, which would solve all of my dilemmas, but hubby has nixed that idea.
  • Emmy
    hace 9 años
    Congrats on getting rid of that thing! I say put the tv over it, but have it in a cabinet or have barn-style doors that will close to hide it when not in use.
  • PRO
    Blackman Plumbing Supply
    hace 9 años
    Try adding a small TV and hand a large mirror - similar to the one in this picture. This fireplace doesn't take up too much space but adds elegance and style to a once boring room.
  • Jennifer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    We've actually hung two similar pictures above the fireplace since this picture so it does look better. After all the comments, I think I might aim for something like this with asymmetrical cabinets on each side so I don't have to do as much building to hide TV wires. Unfortunately, we don't have a flat ceiling, so I'm hoping with the vault, it won't look terrible.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Embrace the asymmetry instead of fighting it.
  • Emmy
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Family room with fireplace · Más información

And yes, there's a tv inside!
  • Jennifer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    What program did you use to do that? That's awesome!
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Forgot you needed a cabinet for components. Carry the overmantel to the ceiling. Use a media cabinet to fill the space on the right, and something tall to balance it on the left.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    And then remove the curtains from the bay so it can become part of the space.

I use Photoshop Elements.
  • Jennifer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I love how it looks all the way to the ceiling, I think that's what we'll be doing! We removed the curtains a few years ago and have put up darker wider blinds that look a lot better. Thank you so much for your help!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.