Houzz Logo Print
scooper25

Backsplash help!!!

scooper25
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Hi my kitchen is all done except backsplash and paint. I need help choosing tile for my Fantasy Brown granite and Antique white cabinets. Granite is busy so thinking simple here
are some ideas white,2 biscuit subway (one is matte) tiles
I have thrown in beige glass tile but not crazy about it. I don't have a sample but thought of using a white glass tile. Is glass tile something that's going out of style?
I've attached pictures not sure if I should go biscuit and try and match cabinets or go white?
Any advice or other suggestions appreciated thank you

Comentarios (131)

• Ann
    hace 9 años
    I do like the idea of a taupe tile. Here are a couple more examples of shades that could work with your tones. It appears the first is "Sonoma Vihara Irridescent" 1x4 in color Puka and the second is Walker Zanger Roku in color Cashmere Gloss. Now, where they could be purchased and at what cost, I have no clue.
    [houzz=
    Contemporary, clean, warm kitchen · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Bouchard · Más información
    ]
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    I do like the darker arabesque you found very much. I'd see if you can check it out again (when available) and spend a few more days moving it around your kitchen.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Scooper25, the last 2 pictures you posted are great as you really can see the colors in the granite and tiles! I love the darker arabesque. Like Ann says, it works so beautifully with your floors and granite, and it also adds such a nice contrast to the cabinets! Good luck!
  • rananashville
    hace 9 años
    Wow! It looks like you might be coming close to a decision! Dark arabesque -- with a grout to match the tile color? It'll tie in the colors, provide contrast, not stand out too much, hide any imperfections, be easy to clean, and best of all, ....., the decision will be made!
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    The dark arabesque looks great against the white column---but the cabs are warm off white/cream-therefore it reads differently. If the cabs were white, THEN, it would be perfect... :) Wish you the best... Good Luck!
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi sorry for this but I have to ask before its to late, just thinking I really like the dark one. Just curious with the arabesque it comes on a sheet and each arabesque piece is about 2-3in could it be to busy? That color does come in subway tiles? I like the pattern but thinking should I maybe do subway tile which everyone talks about? Just a thought or is this tile so unique and different I just go for it?
    Thanks again for all the great responses!!
  • rananashville
    hace 9 años
    To me, it's not too busy, as long as you match the grout with the tile color. The arabesque is more interesting than the subway tile; but in the end, if you like the pattern and plan to be there for a while, then go with your personal preference. If you think you'll sell the place in the next few years, then it makes sense to be "safe" with the clean-lined subway tile. Do others agree?
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    I think you could go with either one (arabesque on the sheet or subway) and it's going to look great. I think I'd just choose the one you like the best. I really don't think you have to worry about it looking too busy, and I'm someone that really hates busy backsplashes:) When I look at arabesque backsplashes in one color like you're considering, they just don't look at all busy to me (and I don't think the 2x3" size should be a problem). It'll be just like the sample sheet you've pictured, right? You've done a really nice job with your kitchen and I think you are right on the right track to finish it to perfection.
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    You know, as far as resale, the arabesque is a very clean-lined look too. As a buyer, I'd be delighted with either and I'd be a very picky buyer. That kitchen would sell the house as far as I'm concerned. It's tasteful, simple and elegant.
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    Please be sure to post and "after" pic on this thread. I'd love to see the completed kitchen!
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @Natalie, I appreciate your input sounds like you have a lot of knolwedge about color which I know nothing about and not grasping. I’m a little confused and would love to understand why you don’t think the dark tile works with my cabinets? And why you like a lighter colors? If using lighter colors do you mean white,biscuit or just anything lighter and why would these colors work better? I want to be sure I’m making the right decision.
    I’m so confused very tile store has given me different advice.
    Many thanks to all of you who have hung in there with me and helped me so far
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    Hi scooper25---if the cabs were white such as the column color, the dark tile would look perfect because the white would relate to the white/gray (cool) tones in the countertop-(splash tile relates to the warm/brown veining of countertop), which would result in a balance of light and dark and of "like" colors.
    In your case however, the cabinets are warm, the floor tile and splash tile are dark/warm, and the countertop has warm hues BUT it also has cool hues that must relate to something else. I do not think a wall color will be able to pull it together. If your heart is set on the dark arabesque tile, then you may want to consider painting the cabs or changing the floor to either white or soft gray---that way the eye would find balance.
    I've included a photo of your space to show just how prevalent the white/gray countertop hues become when paired with the dark splash. As for my knowledge of color---yes, I have a lot, I'm an artist and teach art. And as for tile, I have done numerous tile designs for both kitchens and baths.
    If you want to try something that may help you understand a bit better---bring home a few white or soft gray floor tiles and place them over your current floor and you'll see how the floor relates to the same colors in the counter. Since your floor is already installed, the white/gray color has to be incorporated elsewhere---the backsplash is best option for that.
    Hope this helps. :)
    scooper25 agradeció a Natalie
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    Respectfully (since I very often agree with Natalie's design opinions), I have a very different opinion in this case. I think the cabinets, floor and counter all have warm tones and the taupe backsplash is a great choice. I do agree the one pic Natalie posted makes the counter look more gray than brown, but here are three pics where it looks quite warm with all its browns.
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    The second pic I posted above appears to be about the same angle and lighting as the one Natalie posted, where the gray looks more predominate. Here are two more where the brown is quite obvious. In the first of these two, the brown is stronger and in the second, the brown and gray both look present. I love the way the arabesque coordinates with the counter in this second pic.
    Also, in this well done kitchen, not in a million years would I consider changing the floor, cabinet color or counters:))))) I simply love the choices that were made and think it's one of the best kitchens I've seen in a design dilemma.
    scooper25 agradeció a Ann
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    Ann---I totally agree with you---BUT the cabinets are not in this photo. So it is the perfect example of how the tile and gray wall color are pulling the gray and brown hues from the countertop---resulting in Balance.
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    This photo, paired with the one above---my eye is immediately drawn to the gray wall color-and not the tile. :)
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    And, then this pic does show the counter and the cabinets, and all with warm tones. In the different lights/pics where the counters look more brown, the cabinets look more cream and in the pics where the counter looks more gray, the cabinets look more white. Also, it appears the counter looks quite brown when you look down at it and more gray when camera is quite near the same height as the counter.
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi thanks Natalie and Ann for your help. I'm still unsure but leaning towards dark but have not ruled out lighter. I went to look at lighter tiles and she showed me what we thought would work she said no white and not lighter then my cabinets? I have attached a pic of the lighter samples that we though would work. They both come in the arabesque. I also posted pictures of my kitchen the walls are white so I think it will look similar and also not sure about using white with my off white cabinets will they really work together always thought white and off white don't go? This has really become a design dilemma lol
    Thanks!!
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    I'm still a fan of the darker one in arabesque or subway. Of the two new samples, the one on the left is my favorite but I don't like it nearly as much as the taupe. If it were my kitchen, I'd definitely go with the taupe but would struggle between the arabesque or subway decision. I think that decision is a tough call - or at least it would be for me.
  • PRO
    Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
    hace 9 años
    Darker tile
    scooper25 agradeció a Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    [houzz=
    Edina Galleria Residences - Unit 1307 · Más información
    ][houzz=
    ][houzz=
    ][houzz=
    LOFT RADIANCE SAND BEACH GLASS TILE · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Calacatta Gold Calcutta Marble Mini Brick Subway Mosaic Tile Honed, 1 sheet · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Penny Round Mosaic Tile, Cafe Au Lait, Glossy · Más información
    ]
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi I’m back...One more question and I promise next post will have pictures followed by paint advice lol. I have decided on the dark arabesque. I got the estimate to my surprise was more then I expected but thats fine. Just curious I never thought about this they did suggest if I wanted to bring the cost down to do the same color in subway tiles all around and the arabesque over range? She suggested no framing just straight arabesque up and down I think it might look nice framed? What are your thoughts all arabesque through out the kitchen or subway 3x6 with arabesque over range? Thanks again for all your help ;)
  • Carol Johnson
    hace 9 años
    If you are going to only do the arabesque over the range, I would picture frame it. A small pencil liner works well. I like the mixture of subway & arabesque, as long as it works for your kitchen layout.
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @Carol thanks for your reply. What are your thoughts all arabesque vs subway/arabesque? thanks
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here is a picture of the range area.
    Thanks
  • PRO
    The Refresh Shop
    hace 9 años
    Love the arabesque in the darker colour. I was looking at all the comments and thought how utterly confused you must have been from all the strong opinions. My feeling is that the temporary white blinds threw everyone off because it makes the cream tones so much creamier, but the arabesque is the best choice. I wanted to chime in when you started talking about framing because that would turn things up a notch to the point that I feel it'd be too busy. The tile's lively and classic; let it speak for itself and don't overthink or overdo it. Great choice!
  • PRO
    The Refresh Shop
    hace 9 años
    I meant "lovely" and classic.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    scooper25, haven't heard from you in over a month...have you made a decision? Please post your finished kitchen!
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    Was wondering the same thing Karen. :)
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I sorry the holidays got in the way. They are coming to tile this week hopefully ( we have a big snowstorm coming mon/tue)
    I ended up going with the arabesque for over the range and subway tiles everywhere else. Fingers crossed it looks good! I will post pictures as soon as its done. Then we can talk about paint colors lol :) thx
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi it's finally done here are a few pictures of my new backsplash I love it! It's hard to get good pictures do to the different lightening. I've tried different times of the day these seems to be the best. It looks so much better in real life!
    Again thanks for all your help.
  • dreamdrawdesignshow
    hace 9 años
    A dark colour would look beautiful in your kitchen.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Gorgeous! Enjoy your beautiful kitchen.
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    Looks really nice. You made the right backsplash choice IMO. Enjoy!
  • printesa
    hace 9 años
    It looks really nice. It's neutral and it doesn't compete with anything. I am guessing now you are trying to figure out paint:) I see the samples there
  • scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the commements I'm very happy with it! Yes paint decisions next for kitchen,bathroom and family room which are all off the kitchen ugh. Any suggestions welcomed I guess maybe I should start a new thread? lol
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    Oh, I love the way that taupe backsplash works so well with everything in the kitchen! I'm so glad it worked out so well!
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    Looks like you've got some excellent paint samples as well!
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    I hope you do start a new thread about paint colors. I'd try to take daylight pics without a flash for that decision.
  • asquithoatley
    hace 9 años
    Just read the whole thread- kitchen looks beautiful! Great choices in backsplash tiles
  • User
    hace 9 años

scooper25-did you end up choosing a paint color for you kitchen? Finished yet?

• PRO
    AK Interior Design
    hace 9 años

Hi there! I would suggest you do a brown/beige brick in an antique finish so that it does not overpower the already busy countertop! :)

• mnester17
    hace 9 años
    Agree with prevailing thoughts. Go with the darker color. Your kitchen is beautiful. Especially like your pick for the granite.
  • User
    hace 9 años

The backsplash is already done for those of you coming in late on the discussion. Scooper25 is asking about paint colors now.

• Vanessa Xuereb
    hace 9 años

Hi! I really love your countertop! I think the darker colour backsplash tile would look nice and would add some contrast and bring back some of the colour in the countertop!

• scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Hi all thanks Karen for the update above! I picked my paint and painted already. I tried to get pics to post of my choices but the pictures never showed the true colors of the samples /cabinets etc. So I went with BM Cedar Key I think it look great. I wanted a color to carry into my adjacent family room. I will try and get the finial pics of the kitchen and post them soon. I just ordered new furnishings for the family room and so happy all the decisions are done phew. I will follow through with the family room pics when the furniture comes in a few weeks! Again thanks for all your help I'm so glad it done :)

• scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Looking back at my last group of pics of the finished tile the 2nd and 4th pic shows some samples. My paint Cedar Key is the one on the far left of the clock next to the cabinet.

• Cathy
    hace 9 años
    Would rethink matte. It really shows splatters.
  • avillar321
    hace 8 años

Scooper25- what color was the subway tile you used for your backsplash?? :)

• scooper25
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    # 1273 - LT. VOLCANIC ASH
    Fluid Aged Crackle
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.