lildes29

Media storage unit suggestions

lildes29
20 de Noviembre de 2014
We have a 60 inch TV and looking for a media unit ideally solid wood. My question is (actually several questions) : does the media unit have to be wider than the TV? The TV is going to wall mounted so just looking for low storage solutions here. Modern style. for eg:
Symanski Media Console · Más información

Second question: Do such units exist in real unit under $1000? Or should I stop looking. Even crate and barrel has $$$ consoles but are MDF. We are trying to switch to wood slowly.

Looking for your ideas. Thanks

Comentarios (26)

• bunnyllg
    Try Wayfair.com.
  • hayleydaniels
    Unless you pay top dollar, chances are you're going to end up with part of it being MDF.

The console should be wider than the TV or it looks funny. Typically you want the TV to be about two thirds to three quarters the width of the console as in your example above.

Check Amazon.com as well as Overstock.com for consoles.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Vermont wood studios and I like the console to be wider than the T.V and also quite low so the T.V. is mounted with the center of the screen at eye evel when seated.
  • Kivi
    I would certainly do it wider myself. As for the price point. Its possible I suppose but strikes me as unlikely to find a quality piece of cabinetry for under $1000.
  • lildes29
    Thanks guys. I'll continue to look in the places mentioned. Been looking at wayfair but yet to find a console that I really want want. I am looking for deep walnut stain rather than white or black which appears to be very common amongst the consoles.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    IKEA!

The home of Karlijn and Pieter · Más información
    lildes29 agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • flopsycat1
    Have been searching for a TV console, doubt you can find one new, solid wood for under $1000. We eventually purchased a beautiful midcentury modern credenza at a little shop. Had we not found that one, we would have gone with the Zuo Modern Linea console. It is not all solid wood, but has slats so you can use a remote with the doors closed. It's just under $1000 and I think the design is very nice.
    lildes29 agradeció a flopsycat1
  • lildes29
    Judy: thanks. I have also saved the IKEA one to my ideabook. We have a lot of IKEA from grad school and bachelor days and are slowly trying steer away from particle board. But I am liking the Besta and other options from IKEA. Maybe I can look into IKEA hacks and figure out perhaps to stain it to look like rich walnut hues..
    Not sure if that will work since some are high gloss, some need a pre-treatment with primer etc.

But I really like the clean modern look.
  • lildes29
    Flopsycat1: Thanks. Lucky you. I really like like the slatted console. Infact am in love with a similar one from BDI, although that's taller. I'm going to pass this one to hubby. Thank you
  • flopsycat1
    Well, that's funny since we also purchased the one from BDI! It's twice as expensive as the Zuo Modern, but we really like it. Will also attach a pick of our vintage piece.
  • flopsycat1
    One more pic.....vintage, and I think we lucked out for $500.
  • lildes29
    That's really .elegant. Nice rich stain too.
  • Kivi
    You can check out these folks if you want a modern look. We bought a tv stand and some bedroom furniture from them when we renovated. Nice quality furniture. It does not feel cheap. We are happy with the gloss white pieces we bought.
    http://www.calligaris.us/catalogue/living/tv-stands
  • lildes29
    Hi all, finally made a decision and ordered the Zuo Modern Linea console suggested by flopsycat1. Thank you all for your inputs.

Now off to the next thing on the list. : coffee table
  • vera

Do you like zoo Modern Linea? Did it work for you? Would you mind posting some photos? Thank you

• lildes29
    I wish I had it. You'll find this ridiculous. I placed the order following this post. I'm yet to receive it. Wayfair has been trying and also i got a good deal from them. The company is facing delays due to the port strike in CA. Anyways, I didn't want to give up and hubby also was set on it. So that's why we have waited this long. But i have been looking for something similar , for roughly same price. My search hasn't been as aggressive as before since my active toddler keeps on my toes
    I have bookmarked some lean modern consoles but nothing is screaming i want i want.

I know I have already asked for ideas here but if there's something comparable to the zuo, please let me know. Am trying to see beyond the linea console. It's hard:(
  • vera

This strike in Oakland's port is causing many delays. I've heard today that last week's New Year parade in San Francisco was affected by that too. I'm thinking of ordering the same console, but was wondering if it looks same as on a picture. I like that is only 16.5" high, since I'm planning to put it next to my window. I've found some other's that I like, but they are all 2,000+. Did you find a coffee table?

• lildes29
    Verabalarin, found and own a coffee table. I really like it. The wood color is perfect for our decor. I'll post a pic tomorrow with natural light.

http://www.wayfair.com/Timbergirl-Coffee-Table-AA1430-TBGL1182.html
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors

Room and Board?

I have a few blog posts that may help you out...

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

Happy Designing!

• PRO
    nFORMAL design

Seeing that our design was used for this discussion, I figured I'd comment. First, your expectations have to reflect budget. The cost of a solid hardwood piece is always going to be more than MDF/Particleboard/Plywood. It just is. We've have people inquire about the Symanski Media Console on a weekly basis, and their budget is in the $750-$1000 range. First, as a small, custom shop, we can barely buy materials (walnut and zebrawood are no joke) for $1000. So, you can see how price begins to increase with labor, design, etc.

The one good thing about a custom made, solid wood piece of furniture is that it will last long enough to become an "antique". People who like antiques and heirloom furniture will be hard pressed to find anything in the future that was made in the 1990s and onward because most has been made out of MDF or particleboard and doesn't age particularly well.

• PRO
    Slipcover Plus Upholstery

I also make custom furniture and couldn't say it better my self. Same situation applies to sofa's, chair's etc....If you're in the position to invest a little bit more money on a well made solid piece of furniture you will actually save money in the long run because you will never need furniture again, just a reupholstery or refinishing job once in a while.

• vera

lides29, thank you for sharing it. It looks great! Good luck with the media storage.

• lildes29
    Nformal design and slipcover plus upholstery

I totally agree and would love to be a proud owner of solid wood furniture. But i have to weigh in the costs at this point in life. Soon i hope.
  • lildes29
    Verabalarin

pics of my coffee table
  • vera

I hope you've got your Linea media storage by now? Do you like it?

• lildes29

Hey verabalarin, I did not get my linea console. Waited this long and the order showed further delay. At this rate, I was pretty sure it wasn't gonna show up and just get delayed more and more. Anyways we came across a solid wood entertainment unit. Hubby really liked it. It is sightly rustic but still a good piece. We ended up buying it. Here's the link since I haven't gotten time to arrange it yet.
    http://www.flexsteel.com/home-furniture/products/accent-furniture/entertainment-centers/sku/W1404-06B

A slightly different direction than the consoles I had bookmarked. I still love the closed units.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Saber más.