Houzz Logo Print
paradox44

Interior designer made a mess of whole house

Jennifer Porat
hace 9 años
This is the guest room. How do I fix it?

Comentarios (169)

• happyleg
    hace 9 años
    What's happening? Did you change it? You can keep the lights, reholstery the bed. Need drapes, rug.
  • Jennifer Porat
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I haven't actually done anything yet--still fighting shingles at the moment!
  • handymam
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Paradox, I have heard that is a terrible thing to have. I hope you get relief for shingles somehow. Perhaps you should just rest up for a while and not get stressed by your home. (Too late for that now, isn't, it?)

With regards to changing your bedroom, you have gotten so many opinions as to what you should do. I think that you should decide what you really dislike in there, and what, if anything, you would like to keep. Then, people can help you work around your likes, instead of offering what they like. (Which is obviously what happened with your so called designer.)
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    Poor you! Try an oatmeal bath & oatmeal lotion. Take care.
  • Tess Wakefield
    hace 9 años
    I think the bed is the main issue paint it or sell it. You can have glam with rustic especially bronze. Just fix the bed issue.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Paradox44,

Afraid you are taking your stress and turning it inward on your own body. It is coming out right now as Shingles.

This really helped me when I was going thru some major stress: (Keep in mind, that I am not suggesting you actually do this!!!). I would lie in bed at night and in my mind take a club and beat the offending person over the head again and again....

It gets the anger out! And that is healthy! Remember, anger turned inward is depression and illness.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 9 años
    A quote worth repeating, by pcmom1: "Keep in mind, that I am not suggesting you actually do this!!!"
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años
    Yes! May I add that being in nature and enjoying the views is helpful... not thinking, just looking around....
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    I think writing helps too---keep a personal journal. :)
  • Jennifer Porat
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Have now interviewed over 4 new designers and feeling hopeful. All agree the beast must go!
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    hace 9 años
    Simply adding new bedding will turn the whole situation around here! Cream/white/light gold... Pottery Barn or Restoration style layered bedding...

The designer/client relationship should be extremely interactive. The more info. you share the better. A "good/seasoned" designer will give you exactly what you want- but you must be very present. It's work! Good luck!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 9 años
    It may be a good idea to document the beast with a lot of photographs, as it is now and during demolition. Document the lack of craftsmanship and structure.
  • christinasasso
    hace 9 años
    Making the bedding more lux would add volume and texture.
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años
    @christinasasso, do you have a photo so we can get it visually?
  • sunnydrew
    hace 9 años
    How are doing since all this happened?
    New Year, new hope.
  • janerama
    hace 9 años
    At the beginning of this post, you stated that this so-called designer was a friend of yours. And now you're trying to convince me you had no idea as to the "craziness" of her design work. Really??!
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    Show more pics of your process, what's happening?
  • myperfectadvice
    hace 9 años
    yes??? i don't want to comment as yet. as ii havent read the full dilemma.
  • kkalvoda
    hace 9 años
    If you can live with the wallpaper, I say you go white or bright cream on the headboard. Remove the shutters and Add some drapes and sweep them to the side, exposing the windows for natural light. I would remove the hanging pendants and replace with modern traditional lamps to save yourself from this tragic granny bedroom. The night stands are ok because they are neutral enough that the can be drawn into the background. Plush up your bedding with a duvet and feather pillows and add color. Then I would hang a sunburst mirror over your headboard and make that your focal point. Add a small vase with flowers and a voila, you'll have guests lined up to stay with you.
  • Sherri Webber
    hace 9 años
    Curious....how much did you pay for this 'professional'?

I will be hiring a designer soon to do my new condo when it is finished being built. Wow...you can be sure I will research them throughly first though!
  • Usuario de Houzz-785117
    hace 9 años
    Changing the window treatment to white, and making the bed white with neutral sheets will bring out the lamps and raw wood bedside tables forward and give the room a provencial look. Add a mirror over the bed, and you will be complete :-)
  • Jennifer Porat
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Update is I've postponed work on this guest room in order to first deal with the faux fireplace. A lot of questions about how this happened, are answered in that thread. Including, I believe, the amount of $ spent. We are now working with a real designer, selected only after interviewing several, and only after careful portfolio review, etc. Also, we have a real contract now. And, we only hired her to do one area first. In the former situation, we paid an hourly rate over the course of 1.5 years while house getting built & did not see the friend's work materialize until having spent $54,000 on her. Her own home, which has a beautifully designed exterior, I have recently learned was done by a landscape architect and not her. Happy new year everyone!
  • handymam
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the update paradox! Hopefully, 2015 will be a better one for you! I hope you are feeling better too. :)

Please do not feel the need to answer questions about how much you spent/ spend on anything. It is no ones business but your own. It doesn't change anything for people to know dollar amounts.
    Jennifer Porat agradeció a handymam
  • Maureen
    hace 9 años
    Keep us up to date as things progress and enjoy the next stages; with the right decorator this time around it may be quite enjoyable. All the best and hope everything works out even better than expected.
    Jennifer Porat agradeció a Maureen
  • sunnydrew
    hace 9 años
    @janerama, you are a bit harsh on this poster, don't you think? She has been through enough without being berated. All (most) of the people who read and followed through her earlier dilemma have been nothing but supportive and tried to help her get through that situation.

@paradox, I agree. You do not need to explain any past situations to anyone anymore. Just keep moving forward and let us know how we can help.
    Happy New Year.
    Jennifer Porat agradeció a sunnydrew
  • PRO
    Interiors by Melanie Robinson
    hace 9 años
    Add a large beautiful sunburst mirror to the blank wall & soften the bedding with pillows & a throw. Maybe you would like it better with more whites, creams, & greys on the bedding? I think this can be fixed relatively easy & you would love it!
  • flopsycat1
    hace 9 años
    @sunnydrew Well said......and good luck with your vanity doors.
  • sunnydrew
    hace 9 años
    Thanks flopsy, I appreciate the concern for my doors.
  • motupeg
    hace 9 años
    Thanks sunnydrew. I read that post this morning and thought' hasn't paradox been through enough?' Please if someone can't be supportive of Paradox stay off of this thread.
    Jennifer Porat agradeció a motupeg
  • Gingerbread
    hace 9 años
    I don't mean be cruel but the only thing missing are little moneys hanging off the chandelier. Try searching for Designer Michael Abrams on this site. What theme did you ask for? Your windows are naked. If you do not want curtains you must have a rich decorative molding. Your bed dressing is all wrong and the chandelier is not right for that look. You need to layer your bed to have the hotel look. Is there anything at all that you like?
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    Something different over the bed instead of a picture. You can customize a quote, too. http://www.vinyldisorder.com/a013whatevervi.html#.VLFWpXvwyzk
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    I like the blinds, but the chandeliers will always be swinging when you brush against them while making the bed or adjusting the blinds. I don't think raising them would help; perhaps you can find another place for them, or return them? I'm not crazy about the colors on the bed and how they clash with the hue of the furniture and headboard. If designer friend guarantees her work, she needs to try again :)
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    If the furniture is not new to your home, consider painting it to update it, white, ivory, black, even a dreamy turquoise would significantly change the look and ambiance of this room. Check HGTV magazine/online, they're always depicting painted furniture befores and afters.
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    And if the headboard is upholstered, you can paint that too! :)
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    Maybe we should be asking, "What do you like in the new room?" and "Is there anything you'd like to keep, and work around?"
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    This is similar to what you have, just better ;) It's simple, but in a good way, not complicated or troubling to the mind. :)
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    The bedding complements the wood tones, the walls are a soothing color, and look, normal lamps on the night tables. heehee They work, right?
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    Looks like similar flooring, but they added a neutral rug for softness underfoot (my opinion, rugs in bedrooms set a cozy mood). And the color of those blinds...what do they go with in the room? ;)
  • debzu
    hace 9 años
    Sometimes designers come free when you are buying furniture, custom drapes, etc. through the big stores Macy's, JCP, Ethan Allen, etc. Their design suggestions are included as they help you purchase.
  • Debbie Marmont
    hace 9 años
    l like the hanging lights. but wud CHG the side tables!
  • Gingerbread
    hace 9 años
    Things happen. I hired someone to tile my fireplace. I left to run a few errands. When I returned he tiled the entire wall including the opening. It was quick set by time I got home some of the tiles drooped and some fell off, That's how it dried. The worse part is that he was highly recommended. However each time I micro-manage a job it comes out perfectly
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    You can never leave them alone! If you do, they place thermostats right in the middle of a wall, like it is a piece of art to be appreciated!
  • sheilaskb
    hace 8 años

I would relocate what looks like a stuffed toy on the one night stand. I believe the colors are basically good, but I would suggest a large off-white area rug that would bring out the lighter color in the wall paper and would serve to unify the room and give it warmth. Some throw pillows in the same off-white would accentuate the bedding as well.

• happyleg
    hace 8 años

Hello, is this done? Pics please. I haven't heard from you?

• tdenali710
    hace 8 años

add some throw pillows for sure, and maybe some throw blankets as well. What colors make you feel comfortable, ask yourself that for colors!

• tdenali710
    hace 8 años

still good to share ideas!!

• alanmorrison125
    hace 7 años

Blend everything in with the wallpaper, starting with those terrible blinds. remove those chandeliers they do nothing for the rest of the décor and paint those chests or find side tables to make the room less heavy on one side, but in a light colour.

• Cate Taylor
    hace 7 años

I like the rustic side tables but their yelliw colour clashes with what appears to be an orange"y" bedframe.

Saman stains makes an eco friendky water based stain in many colours that can even be intermixed to make new ones.

I'd scuff up the frame, stain it black or a very dark teal...the blinds are nice, and have a very clean look...but those pendant lights!!?? They are gorgeous - JUST NOT THERE!! They are OVERsized...!! And look like they should go above a dining table for heaven's sake..add industrial-"ish" desk lamps to direct the light for reading or stand straight to cast a nice glow downward, also in black or rustc metal...

I agree with an earlier poster...rustic can go with the more romantic curve of the headboard...

And the bedding..change it to white or off white with gray flower or leaf outline design.

I'm responding so late it likely doesnt matter anymore - as something else has likely been done

• Cate Taylor
    hace 7 años

The wallpaper appears a greeney yellow chartreuse kind if...if that is the colour go with it - as it goes well with the side tables floor and tan/brown/slight taupe blinds. With the right lighting at night I bet it looks similar to a parchment effect..

And yes above the bed add artwork..but nothing too "busy"...get a wide but short landscaoe you love in black and white soothing landscape photography, muted landscape colour photography (like a storm moving in iver a Prairie), or an abstract that REALLY makes you want to stare at it, like a mesmerizing fire that looks like something else every time you look at it..

• Cate Taylor
    hace 7 años

The side tables were likely agreed to by you because you likely may need the storage - I'm guessing...it eliminates the need for a larger dresser opposite the bed...

But if you paint those white, in my opinion, then you'll need to change the blinds (so practical, less dust cleaning than curtains), the bed AND bedding(!)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.