Houzz Logo Print
houzzau

Indoor plants: yay or nay?

HouzzAU
hace 9 años
Do you think there is a place for plants indoors?

If so, post your favourite kinds of indoor plants in the comments. (Paste a Houzz link to show the pictures!)
Riverhouse Living Room · Más información

Related reading: https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/how-house-plants-can-improve-your-health-stsetivw-vs~32575068
Yay - fresh air & colour
Nay - clutter and mess

Comentarios (38)

• jodie
    hace 9 años
    I like the way indoor plants give life to any room, also knowing they are improving the air quality is as added bonus
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    hace 9 años
    definite yes
  • printesa
    hace 9 años
    Of course, the more the merrier:) I don't have many because I have UV film on the windows so I can only have a selection. The orchids seem to do well (had many of them while living in California, but managed to lose a bunch once I moved to the East Coast). So far, as regular plants, the Fiddle Fig does well and the long leaf Calathea and the African violets
  • Barbara Dunstan
    hace 9 años
    Luke,
    House isn't finished yet but I definitey want cacti in my home, easy care and I love odd or unusual plants and I class succulents in this catagory.
    Will also have other plants but not sure quite yet, sorry I'm not more helpful for now
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • PRO
    Primrose
    hace 9 años
    They certainly bring a touch of 'summer' to your interior. Definitely a great addition to any living space. In December, many households with have a particular green 'plant' sitting in their house, with presents underneath it too!
  • Gayle
    hace 8 años

Indoor plants in beautiful pots are a decorating must have in living areas and bathrooms. Good for both appearance and healthy fresh air. Indoor clumping style Palms would be my favourites.

• brian5552
    hace 8 años
    Looking forward forward to it as
  • Sian Sampey
    hace 8 años

I have an indoor Peace Lily I love that always looks great & is easy maintenance....my indoor palm however is down to two leaves....

• ron1606
    hace 8 años

Like indoor plants but proportion is the key. The Fiddle Fig is very popular and on trend.

• Natasha Lindner
    hace 8 años

I have a maiden hair fern, orchids that come in when flowering and put outside when green, and recently a rubber plant (as a 70s child I remember my mum having one), a croton petra and a peperonia - silver hearts. I will bring in the aloe vera from time to time and I have some small succulents ready to pot up. I have the advice from my mother in law to choose a pot colour and buy a variety of pots all in the same colour for conformity - and white seems to be the easiest option, Ikea sell a line of white pots and that is where I have started. I want plants in most rooms as I think the green goes well with the timber floors/furniture, and I find them uplifting to know I am caring for them and seeing them grow happily makes my day. If there is enough light then plants will grow.

• Anhar Fazal
    hace 8 años
    Natasha, can you plz post pictures
  • Jen
    hace 8 años
    Love indoor plants! Just getting started on my plant-filled conservatory. Fiddle leaf fig of course but others as well. Planning on trying all sorts and throughly enjoying the process. I love Devil's Ivy and spider plants. I leant how to make kokadama last year -so easy and perfect for indoor plants. Here is my oversize devil's ivy as a kokadama.
  • Anhar Fazal
    hace 8 años
    Jen and Petapea your plants look so green and healthy...would live to see more pics of indoor plants...
  • Jen
    hace 8 años
    I think part of the trick is to not be too precious about where they sit. The kokadama in my previous pic will go back outside for a turn. These ones have only just come in. I used to think they would just sit where you put them forever but I've learned to keep an eye on the droop of the leaves as an early sign the need a change. Plus I love changing things around and it is so easy to do with plants.
  • Lilli Watkins
    hace 7 años
    Yay to indoor plants!! All year round :)

https://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/27299305/list/our-10-hottest-indoor-plants

#1 has to be my favourite by far
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 7 años

Indoor plants are back in fashion!

• PRO
    Real Estate Photography Warrnambool Kane Horwill
    hace 7 años

Indoor plants bring in life from the outside in. Rooms with plants to me are relaxing and look more liveable.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

@Tribble, I've never known that there was a trend for indoor plants:)

hace 7 años

There is.

• PRO
    Simple Style Co
    hace 7 años

Magnolia Little Gems look amazing inside!

• printesa
    hace 7 años

we've always had indoor plants and almost anyone I've know anywhere I lived had plants..It's never been about a trend. The only ones who do not have plants are those who don't have a green thumb and they are afraid to try

hace 7 años

Sometimes classic things become trends. Right now indoor plants are well, blossoming in popularity.

• jaydub0
    hace 7 años

Yay from me, I've always had plants in the house, in every room. Whenever I move them all outside for a cleansing shower in gentle rain, the house looks so unloved and bare. There is nothing better for softening hard edges. They clean the air, they absorb harmful electromagnetic energy from appliances. I never could understand people who don't have plants in the house.

Here are two that are almost impossible to kill: zz plant in the foreground and snake plant in the back corner.

There's always room for a ficus (left), and a phildendron

This would just look all wrong without plants

Even the outdoor loo comes to life with plants

• Frankie
    hace 7 años

House plants are a must. They improve air quality, they add natural color to the home and help to fight depression. Pothos vines are nearly indestructible as are joya and mother in laws tongue ( sorry don't know the real name) .

hace 7 años

Yep. My MIL's tongue IS indestructible. Must be all the exercise it gets!

• Marian Parker
    hace 7 años
    Ferns in a stark white bathrom add a pop of colour. I love house plants
  • Fiona
    hace 7 años
    I absolutely love my house plants, I have never been without them even when they were unfashionable, they bring the outdoors inside and make me happy. I have them everywhere, and they get lots of tlc. I buy flowering plants throughout the year - they last longer than cut flowers and are a cheaper alternative. Just pop them outside when they've finished flowering.
  • juliede
    hace 7 años

Love my ficus :-)

• WJ
    hace 7 años

Fiona i love your interior and ive started putting flowering pots inside as well. I was given a ponsettia at Christmas and it lasted for ages so ive just kept going with the idea.

• cokelpops
    hace 7 años
    Yes love plants (as you can see from these 2 pics of my home). They bring warmth and life to a room and extend the outdoor relaxed feeling right into the house. Makes me feel a lot calmer with plants around!
  • Christie Sharma
    hace 7 años
    I am in love with indoor plants , I have added lots of ferns and palm next is to go with fiddle leaf
  • mamalade
    hace 7 años

The parlour palm is the most reliable palm for indoors ..

Plants add exponentially to the indoors effect and personality, as has been said many times over, however as with anything, ideally should be placed/chosen tastefully and not in a hodge-podge or messy looking fashion. Unhealthy looking plants are particularly unattractive ..

• PRO
    Vinyl Interior Design
    hace 7 años

I think they are so important to give warmth to a room. I have many in the living room and studio, i would put one in the bathroom too if it wasn't too small!

• Khanh Nguyen
    hace 7 años

Really love seeing elements of the outdoors, indoors! Here's a pretty cool and unique spin on keeping plants indoors. The mossy feature bathroom wall designed by siol and Habitat Horticulture thrives in humidity, keeping the plants stay alive whilst bringing life into an otherwise simple room.

A Sacred Space to Bathe by siol and Habitat Horticulture · Más información

• Natasha Lindner
    hace 7 años

These are some of mine. I buy them little and watch them grow.

• Bella Ander
    hace 5 años
    Research has proven that one plant is required for every 100 square metres of living space to keep the air fresh- another reason to keep plants other than the facts that they bring life to the room and that they are quite beautiful :).
  • Barbara Dunstan
    hace 5 años

@ Bella Ander,

After a countup I have credits, do I get that back in the grid ha-ha

All jokes aside though I fully agree, a room feels a bit lifeless without plants.

I have about two in each room of the house with about 11 I think

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.