Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

What are your thoughts on colourful radiators?

Emmeline Westin
hace 9 años
It's neigh-on impossible to hide radiators so why not make your radiators stick out, rather than blend in with your interior?

Do you agree? Would you or have you gone for colourful radiators?

Wimbledon Town House · Más información

Comentarios (36)

• PRO
    Primrose
    hace 9 años
    I think colourful radiators can work, but it really depends on what colours the walls are. For instance, I think the radiator in that picture fits in nicely with the blue background, but possibly not for a white one. Colours do tend to brighten up rooms though in a positive way.
  • alant1000
    hace 9 años
    I really like them as long as the radiator design in itself is quirky. I think just painting a standard radiator a vibrant colour is just attracting it for the wrong reasons.
  • Luisa Rollenhagen
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Primrose, it definitely depends on the wall colour. But if you have a cool feature wall, a radiator in a lighter shade of the same colour can look really nice!
  • Luciana
    hace 9 años
    Returning to Earth and reality, my MIL has had all her radiators painted in the same colour as the walls - you can barely notice them (sorry, bad phone pic).
  • pavinia
    hace 9 años
    I'm all for making them part of the decorating scheme with a bold colour...
    Chelsea Town House · Más información
  • julieellen
    hace 9 años
    I looked into getting "designer" radiators which were great as art.... The problem was the heat output wasn't anywhere near as efficient (less than half) as regular radiators and they were more than twice the price .... So it wasn't really practical ....
  • PRO
    Anna Auzins Interiors Ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Just a comment on that blue radiator; it was carefully chosen practically as a work of art for that room, it was definitely part of the scheme, which fit the design concept. In this case it also had enough heat output for the room. To carry the colour scheme, the glass splashback in the kitchen picks up that same colour as well.
  • sloegin
    hace 9 años
    Anna - it's a beautiful room and your other work is stunning. I wouldn't have thought of using a radiator as a design feature and the follow-through in the cooker splash back. Which shows why you're the professional! But a great learning opportunity for us amateurs.
  • sloegin
    hace 9 años
    And I have been looking at Karim Rashid's rads. Entropy it is. Will start saving now....
  • PRO
    Glartique
    hace 9 años
    We also do some great glass radiators, in fact any of our Art can be reproduced to fit a radiator, so you can have it portrait or landscape. We were asked to adapt one of our London skyline landscapes into a portrait, see link and these are also available as printed artworks on brushed aluminium, and I'm sure these are a bit more affordable than Mr Rashid's. www.glartique.com http://www.glartique.com/#!glartique-news/sitepage_7
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    hace 9 años
    Glartique......
    Loved your work ..radiator covers .,...splash backs
    And in pink ..
    Who couldn't resist that !!

Just hate radiators ..full stop ..
    Cover them up when even I can ..
    You can't put furniture in front of them ..
    So it limits you
    Old fashioned kinda gal ..
    Log fires
    And our (little squirrel ..) log burner

Having said that if I really have
    tooooo have them
    Make them bright art forms ..
  • crowningfashion
    hace 8 años

I love rads!!! In period houses I like small squat columns, in townhouses I like mirrored, in kids rooms I like arty, in the kitchen I like marble effect or transparent - so what do I have? Standard convectors! I spent on columns in my last house and they cost a fortune and did not add to the sale value. I am getting one in my kitchen but nowhere else. I will though be splashing out when I find my forever home.

• turquoisetree53
    hace 8 años

Whatever happened to paintings and original artworks for eye-stimulation? Prominent radiators can be a diabolical mistake. My brother was persuaded, by his do-do decorator, to professional-spray his modern radiators a blue gray, in contrast with his pale blue walls. The room should never be blue tones and is cold and gloomy. They are an absolute eyesore; but part of the reason, now my brother can't consider changing the room colour which is sadly required.

• breda44
    hace 8 años

I already have a tall black radiator with a mirror centre as a design feature in our 'clinically' light grey and white bathroom. I still love it.

• PRO
    YVONNE CHILCOTT
    hace 8 años

Radiators specifically, and heating generally, need to be part of the overall design scheme just as lighting does. We have installed some lovely old reclaimed church radiators in a period property recently and have also incorporated many more contemporary ones. However, unlike lighting it is worth bearing in mind that changing radiators is not that easy, and when you want to refresh a space it may be hard to create a new look if you ahve to work around an existing boldly coloured radiator. Not saying don't do it, we love the imaginative use of colour, but its probably not the easiest colour to change in your new space.

• Natalie Patton
    hace 8 años
    I think it looks really good... In someone else's house
  • PRO
    Tynemouth Architectural Salvage
    hace 8 años

We supply traditional cast iron radiators and find Satin Black finish to give the best performance for heat output as this radiates heat best.

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Yes, we like them here.

• Joanna Bradley
    hace 7 años
    Black column radiator made to fit the space is perfect. Right size. Right output. Stays hot for ages after the hearing is turned off too.
  • Joanna Bradley
    hace 7 años
    Heating *!!
  • PRO
    Art-Radiators
    hace 7 años

this is one of our radiator

Eiffel Tower Radiator · Más información

• Daisy England
    hace 7 años
    Make them a feature and part of the room. I've recently had an anthracite colour radiator fitted in the kitchen. Many people have commented how nice it looks.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Buying radiators can be quite an expense in the household budget. Our suggestion would be to let them stand out as a feature, as opposed to painting them so that they blend into the wall and disappear.

• PRO
    McDaids Bathroom Plumbing Tiles
    hace 7 años

We love coloured radiators. They really enhance the room design!

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    hace 7 años

I love coloured radiators but maybe am biased and there is definitely no longer a need to compromise on heat output if you want to go for a "designer" radiator. For longevity though I would agree with Blue Cottini, a brightly coloured radiator may limit your decorating options ongoing as it is difficult to change. However, if you go for cast iron, these are easy and relatively cheap to get repainted.

Radiators in mid-century (40s, 50s and 60s) themed settings · Más información

• PRO
    Bath Bespoke
    hace 7 años

Colourful radiators can look really great as a feature piece. I think a bold shade works best!

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Give your radiators some colour and bring them to life. Contrast the colour of the radiators with that of the walls so they stand out and make a feature in your room.

• PRO
    Bisque Radiators
    hace 6 años

At Bisque we love a colorful radiators, it totally depends on your style of home as not every room could pull one off, but a radiator doesn't have to be colorful it could be artistic! Thank you to Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz for posting a picture of our Archibald radiator!

• PRO
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

Looks great - copper effect

• Emmeline Westin
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@celerygirl - It is indeed an old post, but the topic could still be interesting? I launched it to see if Houzzers had any insights to share, and I was also curious to see if it was something people felt opinionated about. There have been quite a few unexpected posts, including the illuminated Eiffel Tower! :)

• PRO
    Paul Whittaker Bathrooms and Wetrooms
    hace 6 años

We love using coloured radiators in our bathroom design. It is so easy to do now as the quality manufacturers such as Bisque, Zehnder and SBH stock the popular colours such as anthracites, steel and beiges. Even the bespoke colours only take a few weeks to be delivered. It is such a simple way to help give a bathroom the WOW factor.

• Kirsty Huey
    hace 6 años
    What do people think of grey on grey? I’m thinking of getting an anthracite grey radiator and then painting the wall behind it grey too. Not sure whether to go darker or paler though........
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

This can work, but we would suggest that the shades of grey' s be contrasting, so that you can still see the radiator.

• PRO
    Bisque Radiators
    hace 6 años

You could colour match the radiator to the wall to make it blend in. Otherwise I would suggest a paler background to make more of a statement. For example the our classic radiator below with a slightly lighter background.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.