Houzz Logo Print
imjudi

Problems with home building contractor

imjudi
hace 9 años
We are building a new home that will hopefully be completed within four weeks. We changed several aspects of the home such as opting for wood flooring instead of carpeting, putting in two chandeliers instead of one, etc. We are also able to choose our cabinets (from several offered by the builder), sink color, tile colors, and soforth.

All of our specifications were noted with the builder and the realtor yet things have gone awry.

The problem is that our choices are being ignored and we are having to constantly check up on things because they are not being completed per our request. As examples, the roof is a different color than we chose and the second outside color on the house is incorrect.

We are unable to be at the property 24/7, meanwhile our home is undergoing changes we did not ask for.

Other than to try our best in speaking with the contractor (and we are), what recourse do we have in getting the home we planned for?

Judi Hede

Comentarios (4)

• hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    Talk to an attorney.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 9 años
    If you have not received samples for approval and approved them this is a breach of contract. You will need an attorney. Pay your contractor nothing further until this is resolved.
  • crowley48
    hace 9 años
    I agree with the others. Make them change it to your specifications or talk with an attorney. I just went through something very similar but I was fortunate to be there frequently and caught things and made them change those things but honestly they tried to wear me down every single time. It was a real stressful experience!

Things wrong in my new home included incorrect windows installed (contract and architect drawing ip specified two separate windows in the front bedroom and the builder put in just one. They tried to wear me down to accept it for four solid hours in their office but I wouldn't budge and finally threatened contacting an attorney.

The next thing wrong was I had chosen all ceramic tile flooring. The wrong tile was delivered and completely different from what we had ordered. Again, 4+ hours in their office arguing and finally they caved.

The wrong cabinets were ordered. Same thing arguing about it but fortunately they hadn't yet been delivered and the change was made.

And on and on. We had to choose everything at their Design Center and fortunately I had taken pictures of everything, including the model numbers, colors, etc. I highly recommend anyone building a home do that.

I wish you luck and please keep us posted.
  • PRO
    San Diego Master Craftsmen
    hace 9 años
    It is important to have concrete proof of what your decisions were. In our contracts we go to ridiculous measures to ensure the model, color, size, etc. of every product we are installing. If your contract doesn't specify the product and model, then there needs to be some proof of what you chose (IE - a picture, email, sticky note, etc.). This is key, especially if you do have to get an attorney involved.
    Is the issue that the contractor is unwilling to correct things, or just keeps messing up? If he's unwilling, then you might need a lawyer. But if he's willing to correct the issues, then I recommend to keep your chin up and get through it...and just accept that you didn't choose the best contractor. It may be that you have to spend more time on the job site than planned. Or you don't pay invoices until you can visit the site and confirm everything is how it should be. Make sure to hold payments if there are disputes! Also hold about 10% until completed.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.