Houzz Logo Print
kjosh

Need urgent help with Kitchen Cabinets - Paint or Refinish? Help!

kjosh
hace 9 años
Hi, My kitchen cabinets (and cabinets elsewhere) are in need of an urgent facelift. Have been procrastinating because I don't know which is better - 1) Paint or 2) Refinish.
I got a paint quote for $900 and a refinishing quote for $4000 for all cabinets in the house including the kitchen.
These are around 20 year old cabinets and we plan to leave the house in about 4 years. So thinking also from a reselling standpoint. My counter top is white with a grey and silver grain.
I am leaning towards painting since I am not in the house for too long and don't want to invest so much money.

If painting is the way to go, what colors will suit the cabinets? Can I do white? My backsplash has white, grey and navy blue.

Please let me your comments - would be much appreciated!

Comentarios (33)

• jennyrf
    hace 9 años
    white would work well
    kjosh agradeció a jennyrf
  • PRO
    Archi/Build Group, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    You can paint them to great effect! I suggest looking at a palette of colors for your entire kitchen before deciding on what color to paint the cabinets. White is bright and safe, however it shows a lot!
    kjosh agradeció a Archi/Build Group, Inc.
  • Sharon Manley
    hace 9 años
    I'd do some checking into a DIY project. We own town homes and used a product from rusteolum and they looked great. I think a white, gray or something in between.
    kjosh agradeció a Sharon Manley
  • cabingirl13
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Paint or reface- either one would work. How much money do you want to spend and do you like the current style of the doors or looking for a different style?
    kjosh agradeció a cabingirl13
  • Carol Johnson
    hace 9 años
    Paint white, but make sure it's a good color of white & a good process.
    kjosh agradeció a Carol Johnson
  • jh77
    hace 9 años
    White or gray would be great. One word of caution. Look at the painter's other cabinet work in person and ask how they will prepare and paint the cabinets. I had a real estate agent recommend someone as a pro and he turned out to be a complete amateur. If your cabinets are oak and show grain paint alone won't hide the grain (which is fine, I painted twice leaving the grain to show and it worked well.) If you want your cabinets to not show any grain they will need to use a wood filler and sand first. Find out how many coats of primer and final coats the price includes. You want them to spray the cabinets but not the hardware. Hardware should be removed then reinstalled. I'm not certain for the price if they will be doing that. It is possible to brush on paint and get a good finish if you sand between coats. If they say the are using sponge brushes because that is what the big box store recommends, find another painter. Good luck.
    kjosh agradeció a jh77
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años
    Paint since you wont be staying in the home. White is an ok choice but considering the layout of the kitchen you might want to consider a grey color tone.
    kjosh agradeció a Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • PRO
    Debbie Rugen Designs
    hace 9 años
    Love your vent hood and your floors look great! I would take the tile all the way to the ceiling next to the vent stack and up under the cabinets for a wow effect. I think painting your cabinets in a gray would really set them off from your lighter counter top and floors. Then, add some nice modern drawer and cabinet pulls.
    kjosh agradeció a Debbie Rugen Designs
  • PRO
    A'LLURE INTERIOR DESIGN BY RENE
    hace 9 años
    Look at the Exterior of your home - is it a cool or warm palette? Did you carry that same feeling into the interior? if the exterior compliments the interior it will be pleasing to all buyers. Based on the Kitchen alone, I agree with Vickie Daeley with Interior Affairs. However, If your home leans towards the warmer tones...choose the creamy off white color: Elephant Tusk from Benjamin Moore. If the Grey is needed, try Benjamin Moore's, Silver Bells.
    kjosh agradeció a A'LLURE INTERIOR DESIGN BY RENE
  • denicekatija
    hace 9 años
    Yes, white paint is the way to go. Just make sure your whites don't compete and compare them before to get just the right white.
    kjosh agradeció a denicekatija
  • kjosh
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all for your input - I highly appreciate it! All great advice.
    If I were to do a white - what whites would you recommend? I read on other reviews on houzz that Benjamin Moore Dove White was not too stark and a safe bet. Agree/Disagree?
  • kjosh
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yeah, light grey sounds like a good color too. But I think one needs to be careful picking the color here else it can dull the area.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Hi, i would suggest painting them white. For more inspirational ideas, please feel free to read by blog about white kitchens: http://bit.ly/1uzFOUk.
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    Hi---Definitely paint... I recommend a deeper gray to add interest and contrast to the floor and counter hues. Check BM's Cos Cob Stonewall and Squirrel Tail
    Hope you find this helpful. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Soft Modern Cabin in Mammoth · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Chevy Chase Home Makeover · Más información
    ]
    kjosh agradeció a Natalie
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Paint all a soft gray, make sure to use paint made for cabinets. Lowes sells. use long brush nickel pulls. For a updated look.
    kjosh agradeció a Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Andrea Smith
    hace 9 años
    With the light counter and tile, a dark color would look amazing with that backsplash. Try the rustoleum cabinet transformations!!
    kjosh agradeció a Andrea Smith
  • kjosh
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Awesome, thank you all!
  • kjosh
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    So what is your view on how to paint?

a) Show wood grain - sounds like an easier and less expensive process
    OR
    b) Do not show wood grain

The latter requires light sanding and wood filling so more expensive. Thanks jh77 for your input on the kind of paint job. Pros or cons? Which way to go there? Please weigh in!!!
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    If having them done professionally, they should be sprayed. CheerS!
  • kjosh
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yes, the person who is doing the painting will spray the paint. But my question was if one chooses not to show the wood grain, an additional process of wood filling and light sanding is required. Is it worth it go this route? What is better showing wood grain or not?
  • kjosh
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    What shade of white would you recommend? Overwhelmed by the choices in the market! Please share your inputs....
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años
    Just take a sample of your backsplash tile and the floor tile to the paint store. Colors on monitors are not true.
    kjosh agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Archi/Build Group, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    I suggest that you have some fun with this. Go to your local paint store and collect all of the color chips for every shade of white that they have. If there are multiple shades of white per chip, then take a pair of scissors and cut them up so that there is only one shade of white per chip. Gather all of the color chips into your hands and throw them up into the air and let them fall to the floor. Any chips that land with the color showing, pick only those chips up and throw them into the air again. Repeat until there is only one color chip showing! Tape that chip onto a cabinet and look at it for 3 days. If after that time you simply can't live with that color, then repeat the process until you can. Let us know how it goes!
    kjosh agradeció a Archi/Build Group, Inc.
  • PRO
    Signature Design Group
    hace 9 años
    Painting is definitely a better way to go. We suggest an Grizzle Gray (SW 7068) or Iron Ore (SW 7069) from Sherwin-Williams. The contrast would look great with the beautiful backsplash.
    kjosh agradeció a Signature Design Group
  • kentbonnie
    hace 9 años
    We just purchased our home with the same pickled oak (pink) cabinets. I am in the middle of having them refinished in an Antique White Linen with Van Dyke brown glaze over them. The island will be Van Dyke brown. I am going with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.
    kjosh agradeció a kentbonnie
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    Definitely darker. I like the colors Signature Design Group suggest too. Your floor and counter is light---contrast would look better than white on light. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
    kjosh agradeció a Natalie
  • PRO
    Furniture Society
    hace 9 años
    this is a panda white finishing and reinstalled them...I personally wouldn't go for the cheapest...but for 4000...it depends on the size of your kitchen...it's a very easy process and only took me a few days to have it just right...I've done plenty of kitchen...different types of colors and stains...but white can be a good idea. but know that you have plenty shades of white to choose from. ...
    kjosh agradeció a Furniture Society
  • Dave Conrad
    hace 9 años
    i recommend having the uppers not match the lowers. you could have the best of both! i would stay far away from honey oak or cherry stains. Go with greyish or a clear coat. wood is beautiful on its own, especially if you have some nice grain patterns.
    kjosh agradeció a Dave Conrad
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    hace 9 años
    The jazzy tiling does dictate what you do. Grey cabinets will tone them down and look more cohesive. White will make them pop even more. If you use grey choose a color as close as possible to the tile. So bringing paint chips home is an excellent idea. One more suggestion - find out if it is possible to stain the cabinets instead of painting them. If they are varnished the varnish will have to be stripped first of course.
    kjosh agradeció a TheFurnitureCollection
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    Hi, you have been given many opinions. I don't want to add to your decision making. :) I also think grey or white will work. I think kitchens with uppers and lowers of different colors look nice too. A grey stain may look nice also. I don't think grain showing when it's painted is bad at all. Just preference. What you have so far looks good. I don't think anything that you choose going forward will look bad at all. Good luck! Very nice kitchen. When you move, send me the kitchen, I'll take it. lol :)
    kjosh agradeció a zazfuzzroc
  • PRO
    JGPainting
    hace 9 años
    Black cabinets! Or top cabinets a pure gray and the lower cabinets a much darker gray. You can see an example on my page of what painted cabinets should look like when finished. That gray would work nice on the top cabinets I think.
  • noreentennant
    hace 9 años
    Any updates or current pics on what was done?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.