Houzz Logo Print
michele_egan

kitchen countertops-what is the most durable?

Michele Egan
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Not sure what the best, durable, no scratch, not easy to stain kitchen countertops would be. Updating/renovating kitchen for first time and want something amazing but also something that will last and look great long term. Oh, and easy to clean would be great. Looking for suggestions :)

Comentarios (14)

• intown123
    hace 9 años
    Look into quartz.
  • Michele Egan
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you! But can Quartz withstand heat?
  • feeny
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    If you want a countertop that withstands heat and doesn't stain, try soapstone. But then you won't get the scratch resistance. Different materials offer different strengths and weaknesses, as carthiefintexas notes. Quartz is probably the most trouble free.
    Michele Egan agradeció a feeny
  • intown123
    hace 9 años
    Quartz can scorch you can't put a hot pan on it. If that's a big criteria for you look at granite or soapstone.
    Michele Egan agradeció a intown123
  • PRO
    Stoneshop
    hace 9 años
    Hi Michele,
    intown123 is correct. Quartz manufacturers recommend not putting anything really hot on the countertop surface. Be sure to use a hot plate or trivet.

Granite, however, is heat resistant. Both materials are scratch resistant. You will want to only clean granite with a granite cleaner, because anything harsh can break down the sealer and then potentially damage the granite. Also, I would consider re-sealing your granite countertops every few years depending on the color that you choose.

Both granite and quartz are wonderful options. They offer very different looks.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    hace 9 años
    I agree on the quartz as well, but granite is wonderful as well if you don't mind to reseal it every so often. Just want to add that any stone could potentially crack if you put something very hot on it, and you could also potentially damage your pot by placing it very hot on a cold surface. A trivet is a very good think in deed.
  • Natalie
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Hi---granite. Good Luck!
  • jh77
    hace 9 años
    Or have an insert in the counter next to the stove or a different counter next to the stove for the hot pots. My 1960's kitchen has a piece of butcher block inserted into the counter. I don't cut on it but it is great for hot pans and cookie sheets.
  • tiamay
    hace 9 años
    Granite by far.

@jh77 - in my previous house, we had a countertop with a built in cutting board. Over the years, the corner of the cutting board degraded and we landed up having to replace all the countertops. I would hesitate to have that again.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    I love my caesarstone quartz in the bathrooms, but I love the granite in my kitchen because I can put hot pots and pans on the counter. I would hate it if I couldn't do that, I'm so used to doing that now.
  • PRO
    Andrea's Interior Design Gallery
    hace 9 años
    Concrete is also an option to consider, depending on the look you're going for. It is heat and scratch and stain resistant if made by an experienced fabricator and installer. The fabricator makes all the difference with concrete. If it's not wet cured and sealed properly, you will not get optimal stain and scratch protection.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    Granite and Quartz are your best options. This video explains the benefits of both.

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    hace 9 años
    Whatever material you go with, make sure you are properly educated on the maintenance of it. Everything has to be cared for a certain way. Do not be negligent.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.