Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you decorate with mirrors?

Emily H
hace 9 años
Do you decorate with mirrors in your home? Do you have a mirror over your fireplace or maybe a full wall in your dining room?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

City Homes · Más información
Yes, I do!
No, I don't.
Other - Tell us below!

Comentarios (75)

• PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    hace 9 años
    Love mirrors, but they need be right for the space and I usually use them with purpose. - Janis, GKB
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 9 años
    I only use smoke.
  • Bill Yockey
    hace 9 años
    I like using vintage mirrors when hanging pictures in the salon style; the mirror reflect lights and add interest to the grouping.
  • PRO
    Artemano
    hace 9 años
    I always like to incorporate mirrors into my decor. They are functional, they help to make a room feel bigger and brighter than it actually is and it can work as a piece of art if you choose the right one.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    hace 9 años
    I always incorporate mirrors for the visual change that it presents. If placed correctly they can make any area look larger or just give a light reflective feel.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 9 años
    Yes, this one is amazing. Mine is not bad either !
    Venitian chandelier in eclectic dining room · Más información

or a collection of mirrors !
    Mirrors collection · Más información

Studio NOO Design · Más información
  • jodysh
    hace 9 años
    At last, some attention about mirrors! I have a few beautiful ones in our home but have had trouble locating the large antique or repro. French designs I've always wanted. ( in 42"x 72"-90" range, for wall hanging). There is nothing like a mirror to bring light, a touch of magic and life into your home. I like to position them to reflect the view out a window, a beautiful light fixture or to use them in the garden. Who hasn't been fascinated to see beveled mirrors bend light into rainbows to throw across your walls? They're timeless home accents. Please give us articles and more resources for them.
  • spring1111
    hace 9 años
    i have one over my fireplace which I enjoy. I will admit that I was looking for a painting when I found the mirror. I have never found a painting that I liked better so it is still there. I also have a smaller mirror in the area that I most often use to exit the house. I like the opportunity for the that last minute check before I go out the door.
  • Mary Dillon
    hace 9 años
    I'm with joysh, and particularly like mirrors for adding light or reflecting something interesting. This is not a "vanity" thing, it's not myself I want to look at! Also they are nice when a wall is "emptier" than I wd like but I don't want anything fighting the main art work.
  • Shio Ayala
    hace 9 años
    I love mirrors, make space look bigger. I have a wall cover with bronze mirror.
  • Connie Meyer
    hace 9 años
    Mirrors make beautiful artwork and reflect light any time of the day. I am attracted to antique mirrors with beveled glass. I have different sizes and love the effect in my living area.
  • Rosanne
    hace 9 años
    I don't care for mirrors as a decorating item. I have 2 mirrors in my house. My bathroom had a large mirror the width of my counter and a full length I pull out of the closet when I need.
  • PRO
    Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
    hace 9 años
    Placement of a mirror is always tricky. You must be aware that whatever is reflected becomes the art within the pretty frame. Notice in the first before and after photos how overpowering the wall pattern becomes within a bathroom of mirrors. . . everything is multiplied and the pattern becomes overpowering. In the AFTER photo, the walls were changed to a delicate hand painted pattern and artistic finish on just a few of the walls. Since every pattern was doubled by the mirrors, the rest of the walls were treated with the same subtle background finish MINUS the design. This allows your eye to have "a place to rest".
  • PRO
    Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
    hace 9 años
    In this example, the mirror was strategically placed to reflect the artwork and custom painted finish on the mantel. See the whole story at: http://kasswilson.com/reflecting-your-style/
  • susanb92
    hace 9 años
    I use mirrors in places that just need a little more light and where My husband doesn't want to run wires for lamps. These are metal and tile Mexican mirrors placed behind our woodstove. I think they're pretty and funky, and their reflection adds just enough interest, especially at night.
  • intown123
    hace 9 años
    Yes mirrors themselves can be like artwork. I love an ornate gold mirror over a fire place particularly in a historic home. This is a room I'd be happy to live in.
    Boston Common House · Más información
  • PRO
    Winton Studios
    hace 9 años
    As a professional photographer specializing in shooting interiors for designers, architects, realtors and magazines, I will attest to the frequent overuse of mirrors. It definitely is because many people are afraid or don't know how to select good artwork. Mirrors are a great design tool when they reflect something, add light to a room or are hung in a way to double what's on a table in front of it. Too often, they are misused and artwork would enhance the design of the room, say something more personal about the people who live there and add that special "wow" to the interior instead of saying, "boy, these people sure like to look at themselves!"
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    hace 9 años
    There are two things I can't get enough of in decorating: Mirrors and Lighting!
  • idimaio
    hace 9 años
    I like antique and vintage mirrors with gilded frames and "blind" glass that reflect and enhance light.
  • Susan Bishop
    hace 9 años
    My house came with the blah builder stuck-to-the-wall bathroom mirrors, an abomination that should be outlawed. I found a classy picture frame at a yard sale and cut down the mirror in the powder room for it. Sooooo much better!. The wall to wall mirror in the main bathroom is more difficult to deal with, so I think I'll shop for crown molding and just mount a frame over the existing mirror. Still looking for another over sized frame for the 3/4 bath upstairs. My sewing room and design studio are up there, and I'm seriously thinking of making a frame from 1" x 4"s and covering it with the same fabric as the shower curtain. The only thing holding me back is worry that I'm going overboard with the sewing theme.
  • CassidyZ
    hace 9 años
    I find mirrors are a fantastic decorating tool to be mixed in a room with artwork. They help enlarge the space and also provide some personality.
  • rubyloves2shop
    hace 9 años
    I do believe I have some form of a mirror in practically every room. They add so much even if in a corner they reflect light and add dimension.
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    Only in the bedroom and bathroom. My last place (rental apartment) had a huge one in the dining room. I got used to it but really disliked it. My cats loved it, lol.
  • nramsey1
    hace 9 años
    Yes I do. Attached are photos of my "new" bathroom.
  • ghel
    hace 9 años
    I have a mirror in every room of my house. Not vain...just like the reflection of light.
  • rauraum
    hace 9 años
    I have a collection of off white framed mirrors (some vintage) over my fireplace. I love to see arrangements of mirrors on walls. But for some reason my mirrors don't seem to look right. I have various sizes. Can't decide what is wrong with the arrangement.
  • clayborn99
    hace 9 años
    We moved into a house in Chicago where the master bedroom closets doors were all floor to ceiling mirrors and covered one whole wall. My wife said "these have got to go!" and they did.
    When we moved into our retirement house in Florida one section of the living room wall is a floor to ceiling mirror (about 4 foot wide). I thought sure my wife would want to replace this ... but to my surprise she LIKES IT !!!, and I do too.
    I wouldn't say we 'decorate with mirrors' but we have learned to use them to highlight sections of the house.
  • PRO
    Lindsay MacRae Interiors, LLC
    hace 9 años
    Absolutely. We all know that mirrors help make a space look larger. There are so many options out there now. The right mirror can add so much personality to a room. I love the convex mirror trend as well as Asain inspired mirrors. Here are the mirrors in my home:
  • Angel 18432
    hace 9 años
    Clayborn99 - when you figure you've figured us out - well figure again ! lol
  • Helen
    hace 9 años
    I have 4 good size mirrors in a 2 bedroom town house ....they are every where and add a lot. Actually they are in every room but the kitchen.....humm.
  • clayborn99
    hace 9 años
    Angle18432:
    After 48 years together I truly believe we have each other pretty much 'figured out'. I've got her 98% figured out; she's got me 100% :)
    Thanks for the tip!
  • PRO
    CAROLE MEYER
    hace 9 años
    Yes, I love using mirrors in my rooms to bounce and add light where needed. I find it is important to see what the mirror is refelcting to get the best effect. I have even used a mirror in the back of a fountain that overlooks the swimming pool in our second home in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. It give an interesting effect of being able to see through the wall to what is perhaps a secret garden beyond. I also added a group of star shaped, mirrored lights fixtures that when turned on at night have a wonderful look. Some caution should be used when using mirrors outside such as reflecting the sun back into the house (perhaps causing a fire! NO!) Also, my own bad mirror experience was while touring a garden here in San Miguel and almost smashing myself into a full length mirror embeded in a stone wall. It had a path leading to it and vines growning around it and the look was so real I almost planted myself right on it! It did look great however. Anyway, I do love using mirrors!
  • Pamela Langone
    hace 9 años
    I love antique mirrors
  • shortlisa
    hace 9 años
    The YES answer seems a little too enthusiastic. I don't have enough mirrors to warrant that level of excitement! :)
  • excitedt
    hace 9 años
    Yes, but it just depends on what room I'm working on
  • Eva Lutz
    hace 9 años
    rooms without mirrors are dead to me. light and view reflections are too terrific to not be taken advantage of !
  • Joni
    hace 9 años
    I live on an island that faces Discovery Passage and other islands. My kitchen sink faces a wall, but right behind me is a large window that faces all of that beauty. On the wall above the sink I placed a cheap mirror with a couple of shelves in front of it. This allows me to look up and see the view without turning around while washing up. In the summer the Hibiscus plant was in full bloom right in front of the window on the deck. Next year there will be a major renovation happening to this house, the sink will definitely be facing the window. In the mean time, the mirror is my miracle worker
  • PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    hace 9 años
    I want a wall of varied mirrors.
  • Karen Ginas
    hace 9 años
    Mirror mirror. Everywhere love them!
  • PRO
    FurreverYours
    hace 9 años
    I have a large hallway mirror placed near the front door which makes it convenient for a quick once over right before stepping out of the house. #BeSeenBeSafe
  • marshawc
    hace 9 años
    I found a HUGE mirror ( 7.5x5) for our entry....
    its a statement piece for sure.
    right now its sitting on the floor and I'm fine with that for the time being...but whenever I find the perfect piece to go under it, we'll
    hang it...
  • Susan Bishop
    hace 9 años
    Wow, Marsha, what a beauty!
  • Angel 18432
    hace 9 años
    I would hang it as it is. Anything you put under it will have to be bigger that the mirror itself or it won't look right - it will be too top heavy.
  • cannotfindone
    hace 9 años
    I have mirrors all over my house...the reflect light and open up my small spaces. Many times, one mirror is reflecting another one.
  • cannotfindone
    hace 9 años
    Entryway reflecting living room
  • cannotfindone
    hace 9 años
    Another
  • cannotfindone
    hace 9 años
    Oops, got two of the same:(
  • Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    hace 3 años

I have one big mirror n my living room.

• Angel 18432
    hace 3 años

Mars this is a 6 year old post

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    hace 3 años

It's okay.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.